Some thoughts from a First Time Cruise on Oceania

baggal

We sailed on Insignia on her Cuba itinerary December 8 -15. Although having cruised around 15 times on mass market cruises (HAL, Celebrity, and Princess) this was our first Oceania cruise. I thought it might be helpful to others thinking about Oceania to have some feedback from a newbie.

Something about ourselves. We are retired, mid- sixties, both born in NYC boroughs, and now live in a New Jersey suburb. We choose a cruise primarily for the itinerary. Because of that, we don't have a higher tier loyalty level with any one cruise line. We do our own research and then have our TA book the cruise.

Somehow, we receive brochures from Oceania and Regent (along with all the other U.S, marketed lines) although we never sailed with either. When the Oceania brochure for the Cuba itineraries came last February, we booked this cruise immediately. We are normally balcony cabin cruisers, but because budget is a consideration for us too, after itinerary, we choose a C1 Oceanview, #4050.

The size of the cabin, on the small side, came as no surprise to us, but the size of the bathroom did! There was enough storage space but the sink is half size, the shower is barely big enough for an average sized adult, and the toilet is placed on a weird angle. Insignia sails the World Cruise. I can't imagine how someone can comfortably stay in that cabin for up to 6 months! On the other hand, even though the cabin was steps away from the Reception desk and Destination services, it was very quiet in the hallway. We never heard our neighbors either. All in all, the cabin was fine for 7 days, but for a longer cruise I would pick a larger cabin.

We found the food to be very good, and living up to Oceanla's reputation, not necessarily the best cuisine at sea, but certainly better than the mass market lines. Our first meal on board was at Waves Grill and the lobster/filet mignon sandwich did not disappoint. I tried to avoid the Terrace Grill except for the morning we had a very early excursion- its just too cramped and crowded at peak times. You could barely maneuver through the space between the two sides. The croissants, available both in the Terrace and GDR, are excellent. I enjoyed all my dinners in the GDR and the Polo Grill. Since we live in the land of Italian restaurants from pizza joints to upscale restaurants, Toscana didn't impress me. I found our meal to be just ok.

Speaking of shore excursions, this is my one really big issue with Oceania - its class system. We had decided because of the uncertainty about what the US government permitted and wouldn't permit us to do in Cuba, (as well as dealing with some medical issues at home which preoccupied us), to book only Oceania excursions. But, even though we booked the cruise in February, we couldn't book our excursions until sometime in August because of our low priority cabin status. I do understand their rationale, I just don't like it. In the end, we were able to get the excursions we wanted but I just don't like the system. Its the same way with specialty restaurants, although to be honest, on a 7 day cruise I could have easily had dinner in the GDR every night. I know its a different issue on a longer cruise.

I think I have written enough for one post. Overall, we enjoyed our cruise experience on Oceania very much. In some regards its very different from the mass markets, but in some, its similiar. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

...even though we booked the cruise in February, we couldn't book our excursions until sometime in August because of our low priority cabin status.

Hi baggal,

I did not know that excursion bookings were on a priority basis. Dinning reservations, yes. But I thought once excursions were posted online they were available for booking to everyone???

Glad you had a good cruise other than this issue,

John

Hi baggal,

I did not know that excursion bookings were on a priority basis. Dinning reservations, yes. But I thought once excursions were posted online they were available for booking to everyone???

Glad you had a good cruise other than this issue,

John

That's what I thought too.

I've never encountered a "caste system" regarding booking of ship's tours, but to have to admit we are more likely to look for private tours. That doesn't mean we don't use ship's tours at all, just that we don't do so as often. But I have never experienced a delay for booking depending on cabin status.

I'm wondering if this might be unique to Cuba itineraries? Could that be possible?

Mura

No timing by state room class on any of our cruises with Oceania. You do have to wait to book until the excursions are posted on line as ready for booking- but even the inside cabins can book at the time the excursions are first posted.

I've never encountered a "caste system" regarding booking of ship's tours, but to have to admit we are more likely to look for private tours. That doesn't mean we don't use ship's tours at all, just that we don't do so as often. But I have never experienced a delay for booking depending on cabin status.

I'm wondering if this might be unique to Cuba itineraries? Could that be possible?

Mura

Ditto.

Excursions open at the SAME time for EVERYONE.

Perhaps the excursions for Cuba were not available until closer to sailing but they open to everyone at the same time.

OP - glad you enjoyed your cruise.

BTW - where is the "land of Italian restaurants?" :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Keith

Keith,

I have always enjoyed your very informative and fair posts on other boards but I don't see you posting on Oceania often.

Lately I have seen you posting here more regularly - welcome.

Are you maybe thinking of trying Oceania? :)

Paul

The excursions for the Cuba cruises in Dec were not posted until Aug that was the problem

but there is no class system when booking

for future cruises on Oceania.... once they are posted anyone in any cabin class can book them

If you find the W/C too small stick with the bigger ships or book a PH + on the R ships

We have spent 30 days in the C1 cabins on deck 4 on a few cruises

It does not bother us but not everyone has the same wants & needs

Do your research & do what works best for you & your needs

JMO

Ditto.

Excursions open at the SAME time for EVERYONE.

Perhaps the excursions for Cuba were not available until closer to sailing but they open to everyone at the same time.

OP - glad you enjoyed your cruise.

BTW - where is the "land of Italian restaurants?" :D

New Jersey!

We are too agreeable. That is no fun.

What's this? You want to start a fight??????????? :evilsmile:

By the way, the small showers on the "R" ships (below PH level) always bothered me, but when we ended up in a Deck 6 Veranda on Nautica a year ago I was surprised that they no longer did ... and I'm bigger than I was 15 years ago! Oh well ... I still prefer the larger suites, don't get me wrong! But we really didn't mind that B1 room after many years of PH and sometimes above.

Mura

I'm planning to write a Cuba review and a newbie-to-Oceania review soon, but thought I'd chime in with my feelings about our B1 "shower", if you can call it that.

I've always enjoyed the relaxing feeling of a shower, but taking one in a 3' x 2' coffin was totally miserable. My body touched the who-knows-how-clean shower curtain and walls at all times; yuck. And the shower head wouldn't stay straight, if you have to bend over you'll be out of the shower and it was quite a claustrophobic feeling. Not sure how men can even fit into it. I can't believe a classy cruiseline like Oceania would even have such a tiny bathroom/shower in cabins that are pretty pricey.

My solution was to go up to the spa showers every night for my shower. Both of them are nice sized and they provide shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. It's not as convenient as taking a shower in my own room, but felt so much better.

We're currently booked in a B1 cabin for the 2019 RTW cruise, but are #1 on the PH waitlist. Now that we tried out the B1, we aren't sure we can be happy in it for 6 months. Sure hope we get that PH because I know I'll get tired of having to shower in the spa every night for 6 months. :(

Paul, thank you very much for the kind words and for the welcome.

Yes, was looking at a few itineraries whose timing worked well with our schedule so recently have been looking at some of the threads on the Oceania Board.

Keith

Keith: You are my hero! LOL. Other than the R ships, the O ships will have magnificent quarters in comparison to Crystal. On the R ships, they are just close to as old and very small. Just sayin!

Carole

But, Carole, is that really a surprise? They ARE old! And of course they are smaller ships ...

As I said above (I think), while I used to object to the showers in the lower end cabins, when we were in a B1 on Nautica in June 2016, we were no longer bothered. My husband, being short and slender never had a problem! But I did ... although on that cruise, I wasn't bothered. Much to my surprise.

We had moved up to PH cabins years earlier because of those showers ... well, not entirely because of the showers! I still prefer the higher suites, no doubt about that. But we really were NOT unhappy in the B1 after a lot of time in higher cabins.

Mura

As one of those in an A1 cabin on ATW16, I have to admit that the small bathroom/shower didn't bother me, but then again i'm a fairly small woman.

After a while, the little things just don't bug you anymore...the ATW is just that amazing!

Baggal, currently in 4046. Did priv tour in Havana yesterday. Found Ocesnia guidelines for Cuba confusing but no hassles. We are also first time O cruisers. Think the Cuba itineraries attracted a lot of new people.

Thanks for posting.

After a while, the little things just don't bug you anymore...the ATW is just that amazing!

What things are "little" and what are "bigger?" It depends on the person and can only be determined by them.

My friend and I will be on the 2019 RTW cruise and feel that the shower/bathroom size isn't a "little thing"....to us it was a daily source of frustration. Not like we can just go in there occasionally...;)

We are used to sailing in full suites on other cruiselines, but the cost of them on the Oceania world cruise is prohibitive for us. So, we're hoping to win the PH suite waitlist lottery or we'll be taking showers in the spa for 6 months and not happy about the inconvenience of that.

On R ships, I won’t pay for the upgrade to PH on cruises <11 days. I can live with the tiny spaces for that long. My next two booked R ship cruises are 15 and 20 dayers. PH it is.

Even with the PH on R ships, I still take half my showers at the spa.

What things are "little" and what are "bigger?" It depends on the person and can only be determined by them.

My friend and I will be on the 2019 RTW cruise and feel that the shower/bathroom size isn't a "little thing"....to us it was a daily source of frustration. Not like we can just go in there occasionally...;)

We are used to sailing in full suites on other cruiselines, but the cost of them on the Oceania world cruise is prohibitive for us. So, we're hoping to win the PH suite waitlist lottery or we'll be taking showers in the spa for 6 months and not happy about the inconvenience of that.

Why not just choose another cruise line that has better cabins that will suit you better ?

There are several that do World cruises

You are already getting your knickers in a knot & you have over a year to go ..why stress out just book something else that will work better for you

:eek: