Black Tie

pamela17

We are going on our first sea cruise for 28 days on board the Oceana in February. We thought this was a 'casual' ship......that's why we chose it and are mortified to find out that we have to participate in '7 Formal nights' where we have to dress up like peacocks. We have spent our whole working life doing this and we have no interest in doing this now. My husband is NOT going to take his Dinner jacket. What are the options on board for us??? Booo hoo!

Just go and enjoy your holiday . We did Ventura in the Caribbean and dressed very smart casual. Eat in the buffet or a speciality restaurant( The best food on Ventura was East and The Beach House, a favourite haunt of some officers on formal nights). Food in the MDRs was average at best and they lacked atmosphere! You may get the odd look from "the formal crowd ", but don't let it bother you.

There may be the odd few who fit that category, but in the main passengers are fairly relaxed over dinner, we certainly do not turn our noses up if someone joins us who is not in a DJ. But on formal nights on P&O most passengers in the MDR's do wear a jacket and tie, so anyone in shirt sleeves might feel out of place, just as I might if I was the only person on the table wearing a jacket.

But surely you take your jacket off and put it over your chair when you sit down so everyone will be in shirtsleeves anyway.

But surely you take your jacket off and put it over your chair when you sit down so everyone will be in shirtsleeves anyway.

Have never felt it was hot enough in the MDR that I felt the need to take off my jacket, and as Sharon says I have only very rarely seen anyone else do it.

I think it is just down to the dining room temperature. Men start off sitting down with their jackets on, but as time goes on, if it is very warm, they start taking them off. Luck of the draw what each cruise will be like temperature-wise. No point keeping them on and passing out with the heat!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it is just down to the dining room temperature. Men start off sitting down with their jackets on, but as time goes on, if it is very warm, they start taking them off. Luck of the draw what each cruise will be like temperature-wise. No point keeping them on and passing out with the heat!

Exactly, the ships doctor would not want to treat 1000 male pax for dehydration or heat exhaustion. I take my jacket off on formal night if too hot. Best thing P&O UK did was get rid of that silly jacket night.:evilsmile:

I remember reading online some time ago that correct black tie etiquette was for the host to remove their own jacket and announce other gentlemen may do so when he noticed that a gentleman was showing symptoms of heat stress in a hot room.

If they insist you wear your jacket just wait a few minutes and 'faint'

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the aurora to norway in march.

Presently i do have a nice suit, but it is olive/greenish in color. I dont plan to get a new DARK suit just for the 3 formal nights on this cruise. And i dont want to be fixed to the buffet.

So, will this suit ‘pass’ on formal nights?

Thanks for all opinions....

Presently i do have a nice suit, but it is olive/greenish in color. I dont plan to get a new DARK suit just for the 3 formal nights on this cruise. And i dont want to be fixed to the buffet.

There won’t be many in regular suits but it’s absolutely fine. They say ‘dark’ suit but I’ve seen all colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There won’t be many in regular suits but it’s absolutely fine. They say ‘dark’ suit but I’ve seen all colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you look at Black and then White and mix the two you get Grey. At what exact point does a Dark Grey become a Light Grey? It's as simple as that and the same applies to all colours at what point do they become light?

If you want to take the rules to the extreme in an argument an African gentleman wearing his national dress, as the regulations state is acceptable, what if he were a Zulu?

Regards John

Definitely. Enjoy your cruise!

hi Pamela i'm flying to Barbados in march i have one black suit a cheap matalan one i wear this with a white shirt and black tie on formal nights and shirts and trousers on non formal you don't have to have the dinner jacket experience i normally have dinner then go to cabin and change in to jeans and t shirt as long as you're aware that you're bending the rules you can go to quite a lot of places on the ship you don't have to stay in the cabin you could probably get away with a skirt or trousers and a blouse for dinner the only stipulation that p&o do put on dinner in the main dinning room is smart casual which mean no jeans t shirts and shorts......

hi Pamela i'm flying to Barbados in march i have one black suit a cheap matalan one i wear this with a white shirt and black tie on formal nights and shirts and trousers on non formal you don't have to have the dinner jacket experience i normally have dinner then go to cabin and change in to jeans and t shirt as long as you're aware that you're bending the rules you can go to quite a lot of places on the ship you don't have to stay in the cabin you could probably get away with a skirt or trousers and a blouse for dinner the only stipulation that p&o do put on dinner in the main dinning room is smart casual which mean no jeans t shirts and shorts......

Tell me this is a bow tie or change from black tie to another colour tie.

Regards John

Being middle of the road has nothing to do with the dress code. I think you have misunderstood. Some of the much more expensive lines have a more informal dress code.

Agree absolutely. Many of the upmarket cruise lines - Regent, Oceania, Azamara, Viking and Star Clippers to name but a few - do not require a jacket or tie at any time.

Edited by Denarius
spelling

I remember reading online some time ago that correct black tie etiquette was for the host to remove their own jacket and announce other gentlemen may do so when he noticed that a gentleman was showing symptoms of heat stress in a hot room.

If they insist you wear your jacket just wait a few minutes and 'faint'

In the very hot Army Officers Mess in the tropics, the Mess President would stand up and say..Gentlemen may remove their jackets. Now there is a job for the Maitre'D in the P&O MDR.:halo:

Hi Oceana is was our first ship and still my favourite .Like some of the post say just wear what you are comfortable in and you will be fine .I believe it has been recently refurbish so will be looking good.The atrium is amazing .We are on the Brittannia in April not a ship I would choose but price too good to miss for 14 days and destinations good .We also have 4 formal nights on a two week cruise!! Just enjoy !!!

Yes - I suspect you are on a northern lights cruise and we did one last year on Oriana and they changed the dining arrangements to accommodate all the night tours whilst in port.

Even on formal nights you saw folk bundled up in coasts as they had been for a walk outside in the very chilly temperatures.

The only place I saw anyone spoken to about their dress code was in Andersons bar on a formal night when they came in after 7pm in huge coats.

Dark suits were fairly normal attire on formal nights (and I would class Olive Green as dark) although you will see DJ and highland dress and anything inbetween.

What ever just enjoy and go with the flow

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you very much. That's helpful. I am new to cruising and I have already learnt quite a bit about what happens on this little thread!!. Unless you have a lot of free time which I don't it, is quite difficult to get unbiased info. But I appreciate your response you are obviously well travelled.

If you are new to cruising then it pays to do some research before booking. All of us were first-timers once and cruises do tend to have an etiquette all of their own which can seem confusing and as you have noted, can often lead to fierce debate! Don't worry about dress-codes; there are plenty of options if you don't want to "dress up" but it's best to avoid bars and restaurants where the majority of people are in jackets and ties. I was once asked to put my jacket back on even though it was stifling in the bar although to be fair, it did say at the entrance that jackets were required.

At risk of taking the thread into a different direction, have you read up on the other cruise custom that gets people going - tipping? Again, it's best to know what's what with this particular subject too.

Signs at the entrance saying jackets are required reminds me of a restaurant we went into in California once,we found out from the guys on the door that it meant that you must be wearing a jacket to enter,if you didn't have one they would lend you one until you were seated when one of them would retrieve it as you only needed it to enter,strange place!

Goodness me this 'peacock' thing is getting out of hand. If you read my OP you will see that I said 'WE have to dress up like peacocks'. I was not insinuating that OTHERS were peacocks. Get a grip!

Sorry but it's never seen as very good "text grammar" to use capitol letters especially in bold as it looks quite threatening and as if you are shouting.

Regarding dressing up, you need to ask yourself; how would I dress or like to see others dress if you were going to a nice restaurant. On a personal basis I would not go to a restaurant or show at home in casual dress. We have sailed twice on Oceana and found that the dress code was adhered to in the main dining room and it looks nice, remember a lot of people will be using these nights for a very special occasion. Can you imagine on say a table of ten or eight and one couple are in shorts and tee shirt, I know that in the extreme but you get my gist.

It doesn't take that long to dress in formal gear, we do it at least twice a week as we are formal dancers; do what the waiters do and get a ready tied tie.

Not sure where you got the information about Oceana being casual, is it possible that you have researched Oceania cruises; but you will have to pay a heck of a lot more than with P and O.

Do your own thing if that suits you better you will not be on your own in the buffet on formal nights, but the main thing is enjoy your cruise and the ship. I don't think you will find it too stuck up, I think the thing you will find is that it is getting ready to be sold off to TUI.

Have none of you noticed that Pamela17 has not answered you lately? Surely by now you have realised that this is yet another wind up? Just like the guy the other day who asked if he needed to bring his own pots and pans on a P&O cruise!!! If you missed that one I apologise but I think I managed to get it deleted!!

Peter

Have none of you noticed that Pamela17 has not answered you lately? Surely by now you have realised that this is yet another wind up? Just like the guy the other day who asked if he needed to bring his own pots and pans on a P&O cruise!!! If you missed that one I apologise but I think I managed to get it deleted!!

Peter

Pamela17 is on a 28 night cruise on Oceana which finishes on the 11 March

I don't think her post was a wind up and everybody not noticing she had 'casual' in inverted commas did not help. the fashion police wading in just confused matters.