Plane cannot get out of New York, NY

We had a friend out visiting for the holiday from Arizona. She was due to fly back yesterday (Thursday) out of Bradley in Windsor Locks, CT but her flight was also canceled. Fortunately, she was able to get a flight later this afternoon.

I wish you all the best in finding a flight, and hope that you can still make your cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But at least with Southwest, you're dealing with the largest domestic carrier, so there are usually several alternative options.

It's not the number of planes they fly, it's the number of empty seats. Southwest flies about 85% full. That means if they cancel one flight, that 85% has to be squeezed into the empty 15% on alternate flights. That's 6 planes to accommodate a cancellation - and that's if there's only one flight cancelled that day.

You have to be lucky - and/or a high mileage frequent flier - to just catch the "next flight".

Hope all works out for you and you find a way there in time! Must be awful having that feeling of dread

I don't think RCI will be able to offer you much. They aren't responsible for the aircraft not being able to get there. Take it you don't have Air2Sea ?

What a terrible situation to be in -- my heart goes out to you! If it ends up you can't get into San Juan in time for your ship's departure, maybe you could fly to the first cruise port instead. I have read several trip reports where a family member missed the ship departure in Miami, and met the ship at the 1st port stop instead -- Cozumel, St Thomas, whatever. Just a thought.

What a terrible situation to be in -- my heart goes out to you! If it ends up you can't get into San Juan in time for your ship's departure, maybe you could fly to the first cruise port instead. I have read several trip reports where a family member missed the ship departure in Miami, and met the ship at the 1st port stop instead -- Cozumel, St Thomas, whatever. Just a thought.

Due to a family emergency we weren't able to board a Celebrity cruise a few weeks ago in FLL. Flew to San Juan and boarded there, salvaged 5 nights of the 7 night cruise. We had to contact Celebrity in advance and get "permission" to board in San Juan. It was the first of 3 ports. Probably wouldn't have bothered if we had to get on the ship any later than that.

D

Maybe see if they can accommodate you on another airline; looks like United has a flight at midnight from SFO to SJU

If you can get JetBlue to make sure you're return flight won't be cancelled if you miss the departure flight,

Jet Blue has no interline agreement with other airlines so can't just move you to another airline. And, in cases of weather, airlines are not obligated to do that anyway. They do it more for things that are within the airline's control, like mechanical issues.

Fly one way on American and return on jetblue and only lose a half trip.

Please check with Jet Blue about this. Typically if you don't fly the first half of a roundtrip, the return is automatically canceled. I know someone said Jet Blue tickets are "two parts" but I would make sure of this before assuming you'll be able to keep the back end of the ticket.

As others have said......

Look at all airlines to purchase a one way fare and keep your return on JetBlue.

Best option I found:

Many cheap flights from LAX to IAH (Houston) today. Then there are many cheap flights between IAH and SJU late tonight early Saturday.

Good Luck!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

So my party of 6 was suppose to fly out LAX tonight to JFK (New York) then on to San Juan. We have been informed that all flights out of JFK are cancelled and the airport is closed. Jet blue our airline will not have flights until Jan 9th. So we will be missing the cruise unless a miracle happens. Of the 6 two have insurance. So called Royal Caribbean they have a lot of people reaching out in my situation. Not sure what will happen but wondered if any of you all are in the same boat.

I guess this is one of those rare times when just 'flying in the day before' doesn't help or do any good :(.Hopefully. something-ANYTHING 'might' pop up and you'd make your cruise. I guess JB trying to get you from LAX to Miami/FLL (IF they service out of either city to San Juan ?) I know you can't get JB to switch you to another carier because JB does not 'code-share' ( share seats with any other carrier). Maybe a cure will prevail before your ships departs SJU. I know what a gut punch this was,at the last few hours.:eek: I so hope this all works out.

Mac

Look at all airlines to purchase a one way fare and keep your return on JetBlue.

Best option I found:

Many cheap flights from LAX to IAH (Houston) today. Then there are many cheap flights between IAH and SJU late tonight early Saturday.

Good Luck!

I see sold out

Hi there

Thank you for all the replies. I have been on the phone with jet blue for over 2 hours. By hey attempted everything from splitting up into 2 people, changing locations to fly thru and everything is completely booked. There are over 4,000 cancelled flights out of New York and Boston. I have allowed extra time to get to San Juan but does not seem possible. Royal Caribbean said they have been receiving calls all day from passengers who are also stuck so will see what happens there. I will continue to look for a one way ticket but now we are down to around 36 hours to make this happen.

I will also look into the credit card used. Worth a try.

I know the weather is bad, but could you get in the car and say drive west somewhere to hop a plane in another area that might have a different route?

I know the weather is bad, but could you get in the car and say drive west somewhere to hop a plane in another area that might have a different route?

:confused:

OP is flying out of LAX to JFK, changing plane in NY and then flying into San Juan. Getting into and out of JFK is the problem.

Driving "West" from LA is going to cause a whole new set of problems

:confused:

OP is flying out of LAX to JFK, changing plane in NY and then flying into San Juan. Getting into and out of JFK is the problem.

Driving "West" from LA is going to cause a whole new set of problems

Sorry, missed that part, maybe driving East, would be better, then? Has to be some airline that can get him to SJ from some airport I would think.

One caveat: if OP does nothing about outbound flight (cancel/rebook/reprice one way/etc) and becomes a "no show" outbound, the inbound flight at the end of his trip will be cancelled (with no refund) by the airline (in part to discourage the practice of purchasing sometimes-less-expensive-than-one-way RT trips and "no showing" on the unneeded segment. Often a rude awakening for some inexperienced fliers.

One caveat: if OP does nothing about outbound flight (cancel/rebook/reprice one way/etc) and becomes a "no show" outbound, the inbound flight at the end of his trip will be cancelled (with no refund) by the airline (in part to discourage the practice of purchasing sometimes-less-expensive-than-one-way RT trips and "no showing" on the unneeded segment. Often a rude awakening for some inexperienced fliers.

They are not "no show" for their flight, it is cancelled. The airline will not cancel their entire booking without express confirmation of cancellation from the passenger.

They are not "no show" for their flight, it is cancelled. The airline will not cancel their entire booking without express confirmation of cancellation from the passenger.

You miss my point.

Unless they take an active role, the airline will rebook them RT automatically. If they accept the new RT itinerary just to have the return flight stay intact and then book new one-way flight on different carrier with the intention of no-showing on the rearranged itinerary by the original carrier, that original carrier's return flight will be cancelled by that airline if OP is a "no-show" on that airline's rearranged outbound flight.

Just warning folks that:

If you get rebooked by your original carrier and the new outbound doesn't work for you (even after negotiation) but you accept it only for the reason of keeping the return flight intact (while you add a new outbound one way from another carrier), you will be a "no show" on the original carrier's new outbound (unless you actively cancel that rebooked outbound) and your original carrier's return flight will then be cancelled with no refund.

Bottom line is that, regardless of the circumstances, if you do not show for an outbound (without communication to airline) you will be cancelled on their inbound.

You miss my point.

Unless they take an active role, the airline will rebook them RT automatically. If they accept the new RT itinerary just to have the return flight stay intact and then book new one-way flight on different carrier with the intention of no-showing on the rearranged itinerary by the original carrier, that original carrier's return flight will be cancelled by that airline if OP is a "no-show" on that airline's rearranged outbound flight.

Just warning folks that:

If you get rebooked by your original carrier and the new outbound doesn't work for you (even after negotiation) but you accept it only for the reason of keeping the return flight intact (while you add a new outbound one way from another carrier), you will be a "no show" on the original carrier's new outbound (unless you actively cancel that rebooked outbound) and your original carrier's return flight will then be cancelled with no refund.

Bottom line is that, regardless of the circumstances, if you do not show for an outbound (without communication to airline) you will be cancelled on their inbound.

We all know that. The OP said it was cancelled, not changed

We all know that. The OP said it was cancelled, not changed

Still missing the point.

Yes "cancelled." But, most airlines will auto rebook on new flights and offer itinerary to OP.

If OP accepts new RT (wants the return flight which will probably remain the same) but then does not show for the accepted Inbound (because he booked a one way), the accepted outbound will be cancelled by the airline.

Still missing the point.

Yes "cancelled." But, most airlines will auto rebook on new flights and offer itinerary to OP.

If OP accepts new RT (wants the return flight which will probably remain the same) but then does not show for the accepted Inbound (because he booked a one way), the accepted outbound will be cancelled by the airline.

There are no flights to rebook. Canceled

There are no flights to rebook. Canceled

None NOW. The offered rebook will probably be for day(s) down the road. This happens more often than you think and the first available flights for rebook will go to FFs.

As aforementioned, OP might take the rebook (even though he'd miss the cruise) to save the return flight. Then he buys a one way outbound from another airport he may drive (hours) to so that he'll make the cruise.

If he doesn't cancel the other (original carrier) outbound (that will leave too late for the cruise) and renegotiate his return, he will be cancelled on that return flight.

This is why savvy air travelers ask for their impossibly delayed itineraries to be "assigned" to other carriers (often at no added cost). Note that there must be a valid reason for assignment (which can be from a different airport).

For example (unrelated to current weather situation):

(Due to an upcoming Asiana schedule change that made an impossible connection, I asked and got reassignment to Star Alliance partner United. A $3000 Asiana biz class ticket (one way to Sydney) became an $8000 United Polaris class ticket at no added cost to me.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer