Long term benefits for staff

One of the staff on my recent trip told me that Royal has a pension type program for those who stay with the company. I didn’t want to ask him details but am curious if anyone knows what the RCL plan if for crew who work for royal for 10 years (as example).

Yeah, I don't understand people's unending curiosity about shipboard compensation, and why anyone would discuss this with strangers.

Anyway, here is a link that discusses the benefits available to shipboard employees:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjsteXGo8bYAhWNzVMKHYeABKkQFgg5MAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsacinvestments.com%2Fwhat-retirement-options-are-available-for-royal-caribbean-cruises-employees%2F&usg=AOvVaw1NjtiuCVUans3gqI1quQEZ

Now, the amount of pension contribution, vesting terms, and contributory limits on 401(k) accounts are covered by the crew's CBA (collective bargaining agreement), so this is really no one's business unless you are covered by the CBA, or are planning on getting employment onboard.

What's with the infatuation with cruise line workers' compensation?

I've often wondered why some people get so obsessed with this. Do they ask their neighbors about the compensation they get? Really no one's business.

Yeah, I don't understand people's unending curiosity about shipboard compensation, and why anyone would discuss this with strangers.

Anyway, here is a link that discusses the benefits available to shipboard employees:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjsteXGo8bYAhWNzVMKHYeABKkQFgg5MAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsacinvestments.com%2Fwhat-retirement-options-are-available-for-royal-caribbean-cruises-employees%2F&usg=AOvVaw1NjtiuCVUans3gqI1quQEZ

Now, the amount of pension contribution, vesting terms, and contributory limits on 401(k) accounts are covered by the crew's CBA (collective bargaining agreement), so this is really no one's business unless you are covered by the CBA, or are planning on getting employment onboard.

Totally agree it is private and no ones business.

Good luck to all the hard working crew they deserve to be well looked after.

Some people like to know how employees fare regarding salary, insurance, etc., because they are concerned about ensuring workers have fair compensation, safety, human rights, and job security.

As a consumer, I think it is my right to know how companies I deal with treat their employees.

Some people like to know how employees fare regarding salary, insurance, etc., because they are concerned about ensuring workers have fair compensation, safety, human rights, and job security.

As a consumer, I think it is my right to know how companies I deal with treat their employees.

Do you really query the compensation packages of every business you deal with? And who defines "fair" compensation?

Yeah, some people are just plain nosy. It is a matter between the employee and employer.

Cruise lines make it our business by insisting on using "gratuities" rather than just paying their employees. If the employees were directly paid by the company i doubt anyone would care.

While I am not a fan of the DSC business model, I don't follow. Are the "gratuities" you are referring to, paid directly to the crew, or are you referring to the DSC that is charged to your account? If it is the DSC, then the employee is still paid "directly" from the company. Do you ask how much your restaurant workers are paid? They get gratuities, and those are directly from you. Do you ask how resort fees are used?

How ridiculous can you be? Do you interrogate your teller at the bank?

You have no right to know anyone's compensation. SMH

Here we go again. I fail to understand how you use the words "shipboard employees" and then insert the link after that. As I read the link it is about the 401(k) account. This would only apply to US residents which are almost 100% non existent for ship's crew.

I will reply to your other more serious views you posted here later.

Wow, really? How is any of this is your concern? And how do you personally go about ensuring workers rights - please explain your program. If you are employed, please tell us the details of your compensation and the specifics of your pension and benefits plan. Since you opened the door I believe it is our right to know! :rolleyes:

It's really no one's business. But I do think if you think that you should know someone's business, then you should be sharing yours.

My Daughter in law works at a winery and has no benefits. Does that bother you?

These threads aren't really about concern for someone's welfare. They're just flat out nosy.

I don't know any company that will tell you their compensation/benefits package unless they offer you a position and you accept.

How ridiculous can you be? Do you interrogate your teller at the bank?

You have no right to know anyone's compensation. SMH

You all realize they publish salary information in the US...I can generally know how much a cashier makes in Oregon...so I don't think its strange to ask the question if your curious. Its no big deal. If you were to ask the individual and they choose not to divulge, that's one thing. Its another to ask on a Board.

I'm going to try asking some (hopefully) simple, controversy-free questions for your consideration, along with my comments.

It's a free market where consumers get to decide how to spend their money, right?

Can you understand that some people prefer to spend their money with businesses following practices that more closely align with their values?

Some people prefer companies that don't perform animal testing, some people prefer Christian-operated businesses, and some people prefer businesses that follow sustainable environmental practices. And if we're honest with ourselves, some people are simply indifferent, and that's not necessarily wrong. These aren't black-and-white because personal judgments still come into play as to what degree someone cares or believes that a company does any of these things.

By the same token, some people may not want to patronize a business that doesn't compensate its employees "fairly" (again, somewhat subjective and a personal judgment). It is their right to choose though, is it not?

Consumers can influence how companies behave by how they spend their money. "Buy American" means don't patronize businesses that use foreign labour or buy cheap imported goods, right? That's how consumers are encouraged to help protect American workers' rights and compensation.

If your friend or relative works at a company that doesn't compensate or treat them fairly, would you do business with that company? Or would you prefer to spend your money at a competitor?

One of the staff on my recent trip told me that Royal has a pension type program for those who stay with the company. I didn’t want to ask him details but am curious if anyone knows what the RCL plan if for crew who work for royal for 10 years (as example).

A couple of years ago, Carnival terminated the retirement program for Filipino crew members, some of who had worked over a decade for the company. Royal Caribbean still has a nominal retirement benefit, around $5,000 if a crew member works for 10 years. If Royal Caribbean follows the Carnival model, it won't be around when RCCL crew members retire in the next few years.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/working-conditions/

Cruise Lines Force Crew Member to "Arbitrate" Their Disputes - Following NCL's decision to send the cases of Filipino families of crew members killed in the boiler explosion on the SS Norway in 2002 to Manila for arbitration under the POEA, all U.S. based cruise lines (except Disney Cruises) inserted mandatory arbitration clauses in crew member employment contracts. By doing so, cruise lines stripped the rights of seafarers to file suit in the United States before a judge and jury. Cruise lines also inserted foreign law from countries like Panama, or Bermuda or the Bahamas into employment agreements which have few laws protecting seafarers.

This should explain to you how the cruise lines are by passing the "CBA (collective bargaining agreement)".

Once again your theory is correct, but reality is something else.

Cruise Lines Force Crew Member to "Arbitrate" Their Disputes - Following NCL's decision to send the cases of Filipino families of crew members killed in the boiler explosion on the SS Norway in 2002 to Manila for arbitration under the POEA, all U.S. based cruise lines (except Disney Cruises) inserted mandatory arbitration clauses in crew member employment contracts. By doing so, cruise lines stripped the rights of seafarers to file suit in the United States before a judge and jury. Cruise lines also inserted foreign law from countries like Panama, or Bermuda or the Bahamas into employment agreements which have few laws protecting seafarers.

This should explain to you how the cruise lines are by passing the "CBA (collective bargaining agreement)".

Once again your theory is correct, but reality is something else.

First off, after unwillingly following the link to Walker's page, and then the link to his SS Norway page, I find again why I disregard virtually all of what he says. He says that the courts "stripped" the rights of foreign seafarers from filing lawsuits under the Jones Act. The Jones Act is only for US seafarers, and has no jurisdiction over foreign seafarers. The judge ruled on this, not on any relative merits of either party's case.

Next, I don't see how the company having binding arbitration in the crew contract "bypasses" the CBA, since the party representing the crew in the collective bargaining agree to the terms of the employment contract. And for Walker to say that the cruise lines inserted "foreign law" from countries like Panama and Bahamas is totally ridiculous, and merely a means of him promoting ideas to get as many cases as he can, since by law, the ship operates under the laws of the flag state (like Panama and Bahamas) and not under some other country where the crew could "get a better deal".

News flash, I am a US seafarer, employed by a US company, on a US flag vessel, and represented by a US maritime union. Per my collective bargaining agreement, how are disputes with the company resolved? Arbitration.

Should I dissect Walker's "article" regarding working conditions?

Let's start with working hours. Walker says he has "documented" overwork on the Oceania Riviera, where workers called him and reported working over their legal hours. If Walker really thought he had a case, he had a moral responsibility to either direct the crew to the USCG or to report to the USCG himself, this violation. The USCG, as a port state control agency (as opposed to a flag state agency) has the jurisdiction to ensure that all international agreements are met on ships when they call in the US. How come he never did this?

Compensation. Mr. Walker's discussion never once mentions the terms of the Manila Labor Convention, which dictates the minimum wage for all seafarers, and which can also be investigated by the USCG if non-compliance is alleged. And the use of passenger DSC to form part of various crew members' compensation is clearly spelled out in the crew's employment contract.

"Cruise lines are working to strip crew members from the protection of all US law". Kind of hard to "strip" something from someone, when that someone never was entitled to it in the first place.

And on and on.