Navigator of the seas drydock

No joke here....

I just googled "Carnival pool deck images" and "NCL pool deck images"...

then google RCL pool deck images. This "new" Navigator pool deck looks like the older CCL and NCL pool decks. In my lonesome and very humble minority opinion, this new design is a major step down. Glad everyone else posting here likes it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I said it from the moment I saw the first pool deck rendering. It's so tacky. If they wanted a pool deck refresh so bad (I didn't think it needed to be changed in the first place), those orange palm trees should've been a more subtle, neutral colored sculptural element and the bungalows should've been more chic and modern, think teak with a slatted roof. I've been trying to keep my negative opinion to myself, but it's just so bad. Reminds me of an over-stylized Bahamas themed waterpark you'd see somewhere in the States. 

I don't mind the waterslide area though. Bright colors, yes, but I don't think its tacky. 

But isn't that exactly what the redo of this ship was for....to do short runs to the new Perfect day at Coco Cay (Bahamian water park). It is obviously geared towards family and kids who like/want that...a 3-4 night Universal/Orlando type experience mixed into a cruise. Not my cup of tea as I don't have young kids anymore....but 10 years ago this is what they would have wanted.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bajathree said:

But isn't that exactly what the redo of this ship was for....to do short runs to the new Perfect day at Coco Cay (Bahamian water park). It is obviously geared towards family and kids who like/want that...a 3-4 night Universal/Orlando type experience mixed into a cruise. Not my cup of tea as I don't have young kids anymore....but 10 years ago this is what they would have wanted.

Look, I love the idea of a large ship with lots of amenities and innovations doing the short cruises, but the pool deck just looks so "fake" to me. I just don't know why they had to add all of those tacky decorations. 

I much prefer how they handled Mariner's amplification. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bajathree said:

But isn't that exactly what the redo of this ship was for....to do short runs to the new Perfect day at Coco Cay (Bahamian water park). It is obviously geared towards family and kids who like/want that...a 3-4 night Universal/Orlando type experience mixed into a cruise. 

Great post... and I agree with you. I'm not RCL's target market here. I'll have to be satisfied on modern & tastefully designed ships (ie. Quantum Class) and the timeless classics (Radiance Class..... until they're all sold). I am grateful those classes mostly go to real destinations around the world vs. Cococay & Cozumel 5 million times per summer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AdamsAway said:

Finally some more time to edit! New Mini Gold location and a couple of the new forward balconies are visible. Also its hard to see from the lineup photo but Navigator looked brand new compared to everything else. Everything looked pristine! Thanks to everyone for the positive comments! There was a ton of fog in the area this morning and these shots were taken during about a 15 minute period of sun so I was very lucky!

AdamsAway - Great aerial photos and thanks for sharing. Those forward Junior Suite balconies are huge and will have the best forward views. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Look, I love the idea of a large ship with lots of amenities and innovations doing the short cruises, but the pool deck just looks so "fake" to me. I just don't know why they had to add all of those tacky decorations. 

I much prefer how they handled Mariner's amplification. 

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Great post... and I agree with you. I'm not RCL's target market here. I'll have to be satisfied on modern & tastefully designed ships (ie. Quantum Class) and the timeless classics (Radiance Class..... until they're all sold). I am grateful those classes mostly go to real destinations around the world vs. Cococay & Cozumel 5 million times per summer.

I agree with both of you...the redo isn't my attraction either but luckily we have lots of different ships  that cater to different markets 😉 if you are a young family with kids I'm sure the new design is attractive. 

I’ve just had a look on the #navigatoroftheseas tag on instagram. From what I can see, the pool deck has had loads of RGB lights added- round the rim of the pool, on the orange things, and really cool looking fairy lights round the Lime and Coconut. I bet it looks amazing at night!!!

15 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

No joke here....

I just googled "Carnival pool deck images" and "NCL pool deck images"...

then google RCL pool deck images. This "new" Navigator pool deck looks like the older CCL and NCL pool decks. In my lonesome and very humble minority opinion, this new design is a major step down. Glad everyone else posting here likes it.

Actually disagree...it appears much more organized / cleaner with more distinct areas to avoid a mish-mash of activity like on some other ships.

1 hour ago, Getting out there said:

Wasn't there a ship (I think Carnival) that had the open slide and they had to get rid of it because the wind made it dangerous?

That may very well be, but I would assume that RCI, and whoever they contracted to design/build the new slides,  are aware of that and have designed to account for the risks.

Time will tell I guess.  They did have to delay the opening of the Tidal Wave slide on the Liberty due to safety concerns.  I can't wait to try the new ones on the Navigator in a few weeks.

Dan

Just now, mike x ftc said:

More and more new cabins again, the ships are crowded anyway, every time there are upgrades they chip away at public space..   not good 

I've never felt that the Voyager or Freedom classes were crowded.  We sailed the Liberty last January (after adding more cabins) and it still didn't feel crowded.  Oasis class felt more crowded to me.

Having said that, the Navigator is getting a significant amount of new cabins.  We'll see how it is in a few weeks.  We sailed the Navigator for 8 nights in 2016 so we know how it was before this refurb.

Dan

Dan,

We sailed on Independence after her refit having been on her twice before and it made a lot of difference, the Club had been filled in with cabins, the karaoke bar had gone - filled in with cabins and they had carved up the Viking Crown for a suite lounge and diamond lounge.  The karaoke had been moved to the VC so it felt very busy.  Having said that the ship looked lovely and we had a great cruise, we just did a lot more standing in the evenings that we intended!

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Beats Carnival who simply builds their ships to be overcrowded.  

Vista, Horizon and Panorama are built on a Dream class like foundation in terms of size but with additional cabins and guest capacity.  Same size, more guests.

Also NCL, mostly in terms of their pool deck. I will never understand why they have one main pool and then a small one right next to the slides, to accomodate everyone except those in the Haven who have their own, which isn't that many people. Meanwhile, Royal has side by side main pools and the solarium and it's a much bigger space to accommodate the masses. Any criticisms of Navigator's new pool should immediately look at Breakaway and Breakaway plus on NCL...such a disappointment.

• Like 1