Diamond Drinks in the MDR

Beachammo

On Freedom now and Royal is allowing passengers to use their Diamond drink vouchers in the main dining room.

Also.....

Say goodbye to Portobello, Sage, Pimento, etc. and the dessert menu. Royal has changed the menus to a more limited selection. The waiters are asking passengers to choose one item in each row(appetizer, main, and dessert) at the beginning. They did allow me to get two appetizers but he didn't look to happy about it.

I was able to get an Indian dish as a main and the favorites look like they are still on the menu

Ill try to post a few pictures of the new menu tomorrow.

Shelton, I'm curious if they will give you two entrees.

I was told by the Head Waiter that they are trying to speed up service by requesting everyone only pick one item per column. I will ask tonight about an extra entree.

I was told by the Head Waiter that they are trying to speed up service by requesting everyone only pick one item per column. I will ask tonight about an extra entree.

:o Ordering and eating multiple appetizers, entreés, and desserts is something I'm infamous for... :eek:

If this goes fleet-wide, I guess I'm having "second dinner" in the WJ every night... :(:loudcry:

Sounds to me more like a drastic move to cut costs. Why would they need to speed up service? If they're trying to introduce a third seating, I'm not sure how that would fit with the evening show times. I've definitely had slow service in the MDR on multiple occasions, but I've always been able to finish in time for them to reset for the second seating. Any other reasons that might make sense?

If everything served is tasty and saves 1/2 hour in dining room and Diamond drinks served..... I’m ok with it. More room for drinks and other food onboard.

Hopefully they have a quick way to get a replacement appetizer or entry of didn’t like what was served.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They did last week. Also the old classics part of the menu is gone. I don't/can't eat a lot of the choices they have so I always have ordered the steak from that menu. they did have steak on the menu most nights but not all.

And for all the chocolate lovers, one of the nights they had no chocolate anywhere on the desert menu except for ice cream.

Hopefully they still have the Mini Brownie Madness from the kid's menu available.

I don't care that don't like ordering more than 1 item...I'm still doing it lol. They can bring my appetizers out at the same time if they want, but my golly I will order what I want.

We ordered two appetizers every night onboard Oasis last week. No one balked, but then I really couldn't understand our waiter (at all) so maybe he balked and I was just blissfully unaware. What I didn't like is that it seemed the same 4 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 4 desserts showed up on the menu every night and maybe there were two new things in each category each night. Blech.

And my MDR steak (the no additional fee one) was tough and chewy (and I order Med Rare). Food earned a huge thumbs down to me.

I also did not enjoy the Windjammer. Very bland and lots of catering to non-American palates (lot of British, Indian, Mediterranean cuisines represented).

I don't care that don't like ordering more than 1 item...I'm still doing it lol. They can bring my appetizers out at the same time if they want, but my golly I will order what I want.

Moi aussi.

We ordered two appetizers every night onboard Oasis last week. No one balked, but then I really couldn't understand our waiter (at all) so maybe he balked and I was just blissfully unaware. What I didn't like is that it seemed the same 4 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 4 desserts showed up on the menu every night and maybe there were two new things in each category each night. Blech.

And my MDR steak (the no additional fee one) was tough and chewy (and I order Med Rare). Food earned a huge thumbs down to me.

I also did not enjoy the Windjammer. Very bland and lots of catering to non-American palates (lot of British, Indian, Mediterranean cuisines represented).

Narrow-minded much? ;)

You can order as much as you want. Half the menu is a repeat of the night before.

Service was very slow last night even though our table only ordered one appetizer. Escargot was cold so had to send it back. Waiters were confused with diamond vouchers.....again. Head Waiter got involved. The shank was as good as always. Curry shrimp was fantastic.

Forgot my phone so no pictures

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We were on Serenade 1/5. The separate dessert menu is now a smaller list actually stapled to the main menu.....so everything was ordered at one time. We did order multiple apps and they came out fine. Re: Diamond drinks in MDR....after a couple of hiccups the first day (I gave the waiter my diamond card but two drinks were charged which I later had removed) no problems with ordering wine with diamond card.

I hope the Diamond drinks in MDR becomes an actual policy. On Enchantment when asked if I wanted a drink I said I had Diamond vouchers, could they be used, the waiter said he would see and asked what I wanted (Diet Coke and Rum). he returned with a warm can of diet coke and said they let him do it as an exception. No rum. That was a little odd.

I like the dessert menu included with the rest of the menu; if you see something you really want you can tailor your other ordering.

Reduction in selections is cost savings, probably eliminated things with low take rate/high waste.

Whoever came up with the idea to tell guests to order less to get better service has their head where the sun doesn't shine. If you're going to admit you need to have better service, get more servers (imagine that), don't tell paying customers they need to limit their orders.

I hope the Diamond drinks in MDR becomes an actual policy. On Enchantment when asked if I wanted a drink I said I had Diamond vouchers, could they be used, the waiter said he would see and asked what I wanted (Diet Coke and Rum). he returned with a warm can of diet coke and said they let him do it as an exception. No rum. That was a little odd.

I like the dessert menu included with the rest of the menu; if you see something you really want you can tailor your other ordering.

Reduction in selections is cost savings, probably eliminated things with low take rate/high waste.

Whoever came up with the idea to tell guests to order less to get better service has their head where the sun doesn't shine. If you're going to admit you need to have better service, get more servers (imagine that), don't tell paying customers they need to limit their orders.

The waiters never said "better service" they are trying to get the length of time spent in the MDR down. According to our head waiter it's been one of the most repeated problems on the after cruise surveys. If one person on a table of 8 eats three appetizers that leaves the rest waiting a long time between courses., as the waiter waits until the first has been eaten to bring the second and so forth.

If I'm ordering more than one appetizer(which I do most if the time)...I ask the waiter to bring them and the same time. Especially if I see no one else ordered multiple appetizers. It's just sitting under the plastic top by the waiter station anyways.

The waiters never said "better service" they are trying to get the length of time spent in the MDR down. According to our head waiter it's been one of the most repeated problems on the after cruise surveys. If one person on a table of 8 eats three appetizers that leaves the rest waiting a long time between courses., as the waiter waits until the first has been eaten to bring the second and so forth.

If I'm ordering more than one appetizer(which I do most if the time)...I ask the waiter to bring them and the same time. Especially if I see no one else ordered multiple appetizers. It's just sitting under the plastic top by the waiter station anyways.

You way makes total sense, but they've been in the cruise business almost 50 years and should make common sense adjustments to their service, not communicate to guests to order only one from each section. As it is they have lumped multiple courses of the past into a single "starters" section, so they really should not be surprised if someone orders soup, salad, appetizer, etc.

You can order as much as you want. Half the menu is a repeat of the night before.

Service was very slow last night even though our table only ordered one appetizer. Escargot was cold so had to send it back. Waiters were confused with diamond vouchers.....again. Head Waiter got involved. The shank was as good as always. Curry shrimp was fantastic.

Forgot my phone so no pictures

Thanks Shelton.

If I'm ordering more than one appetizer(which I do most if the time)...I ask the waiter to bring them and the same time. ...

Good idea, though unless everyone at the table does this, it may not help much.

If I'm ordering more than one appetizer(which I do most if the time)...I ask the waiter to bring them and the same time. ...
Good idea, though unless everyone at the table does this, it may not help much.