Independence of the Seas will be a nightmare 2018

I love the way RCI pretended they were improving the ship for 2018 when in fact it is just a big cover up tpo make more money.

Having been on this ship for 5 of the last 6 years I have already booked and paid for this years cruise, however I would not have done this had I been fully aware of the new deck plans.

The adults pay for these cruises yet all so called improvements are aimed at the youths and younger. This ship was struggling with getting seats in public venues in the evening and getting somewhere to lounge in the sun during the day, yet the most important upgrade that RCI has failed to mention in any of its media and advertising campaign is the fact that we are losing public spaces fir the addition of almost 100 new cabins

1. On decks 6, 7 and 8 all public spaces , library etc havegone due to the addition of new cabins, $$$$$

2 We are losing the Labyrinth nightclub for the addition of more cabins in the lower section of the club, and a new pay Japanese restaurant on the top level opposite the Schooner Bar $$$$$$ again.

3. We are losing 30% of the running track and sunbathing area and the spa and gym are being reduced in size for the addition of more cabins.even more $$$$$$$$

There are other floors around the ice rink where public space has gone and more rooms added.

The on-air Karaoke bar area has disappeared and is substituted on the next floor up with a sports and arcade bar , arcade being the operative word $$$$$$$$

There was always a fight to get a seat after dinner at night in the bars, and always a fight to find a sunbed, I think this year will be chaos as Royal Carribean to not give a toss about the paying passenger.

And what have we gained, a waterslide , a laser tag game and a trampoline park, all for the kids again.

Wish I could cancel my cruise without losing money but hey its RCI we are talking about here $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am very angry and feel very deceived by them

If you love the Indy just stick with the transatlantics. Our TA in November had less then 20 kids and the ship sailed with a light load.

I read what is changing and personally it won’t affect me. On the other hand I was super upset when they removed the night club but most of the time it was empty and boring. It’s ridiculous to have a library, it was always empty most of the time and who reads a hard copy book these days. The reduction in the gym area is also unnoticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen people in the library quite often, doing work or reading. We used it as a meeting place and I have actually borrowed books (and left books) there. I still read regular books. I'm old.

If the weather is not so good I will do my reading in the library. I don't read hard copy books as I use a Kindle but it's a nice atmosphere and it is seldom empty.

I was on Independence after their 2013 refit and its disappointing they got rid of the Raven. It was a well designed space, but probably not used as well as they wanted it to be. I loved the theme of it.

The big thing these day is multipurpose space, like the music hall on the Anthem, live act stage turned nightclub, turned lounge.

Its also sad they added MORE cabins to the ship while sacrificing more public space. Independence was the only Royal Caribbean ship i've been on that felt really crowded. There were huge lines to get into the MDR during lunch. The line would stretch all the way down to the ice rink some days, but when you finally got into the dining room, it wasn't crowded in there at all. Even the larger Anthem had congestion managed better than the Independence. I have heard the Oasis class does manage their congestion well too.

That wouldn't have been out of the US would it? I didn't realise that Independence in the US wasn't non-smoking, but I did say I may be wrong.

I think in further posts it became clear that there is a difference between U.K. and U.S. sailings that I was not aware of. I didn't mean to offend you in any way. Sorry.

I was on Independence after their 2013 refit and its disappointing they got rid of the Raven. It was a well designed space, but probably not used as well as they wanted it to be. I loved the theme of it.

I was on the Indy for the transatlantic in Oct. I remember going into the Raven several times. Please correct me if I am having a senior moment...

In an effort to be positive (and OP I completely feel your pain- I’d be annoyed too) I would think because there will be more families there may be less competition for bar seating after dinner as the families will be in their rooms getting the kiddies to bed.

KiwiGal117 - who is an eternal optimist (ode to Biker here)

Trying not to be belligerent, but there are no guarantees.

In her current configuration I can guarantee you that there are not 2,000 bar seats on the Indy, so you are currently not guaranteed a place to sit and enjoy an afternoon dinner drink.

Same with loungers and pool space.

Will it be more crowded than now? Hard to tell, many of the folks on the slides, trampolines, and laser tag used to be in the pool.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I don’t care for the changes - but RCCL has done the same for most of their Voyager Freedom class ships and it’s far from a nightmare - and replacing the large photo area with a digital Kiosk area is far from “Criminal”

Kids are not the ones demanding these changes, the parents who pay their kids fares probably like having more to do with their kids or having more for them to do while they enjoy some alone time.

Your hype and entitled attitude in presenting this issue is almost tantrum like and it makes me wonder if spoiled kids grow in to spoiled adults.

I don’t care for the changes - but RCCL has done the same for most of their Voyager Freedom class ships and it’s far from a nightmare - and replacing the large photo area with a digital Kiosk area is far from “Criminal”

Kids are not the ones demanding these changes, the parents who pay their kids fares probably like having more to do with their kids or having more for them to do while they enjoy some alone time.

Your hype and entitled attitude in presenting this issue is almost tantrum like and it makes me wonder if spoiled kids grow in to spoiled adults.

I really think people are missing the point, they advertised improvements "additions" to the ship for a better 2018 experience, they never once indicated that they would be losing anything and building more cabins. The deck plans did not come out until after I had paid for my cruise unfortunately.

It isn't the kids attractions that have taken away space, it is the blatant greed of fitting cabins into every possible little bit of space that they can. Why not lets just convert the whole thing to cabins and just use it as a long distance water taxi.

I agree with you that Indy should be a nightmare after her refit, sadly the same they have done with Liberty. :loudcry:

On Liberty I've been 4 yers ago and with her huge promenade and her resort feeling she was not my favorite ship, but still provided a decent mixture between modern resort ship and a common cruise ship, as we know it, and I liked her decent outdoor deck space.

Now that Indy gets huge water slides and all those new "actvity centers" (laser tag, bungee trampolines, huge water slides :() IMHO she will be a "Breakaway-Class" clone (I mean the new NCL ships, which are crammed with lots of activity spaces and less calm places).

Sad... the new facilities are a reason for me to book neither Liberty nor Indy. I hope RCI won't do this to Freedom and the Voyager Class ships some day...

Will the new cabins any different than the "old" cabins?

New layout or furniture-style?:confused:

We chose one of the new cabins - as I suspect they might be different and new....

We had a new cabin on Freedom, deck 12 balcony. It was slightly different. More cabinetry, bigger TV.

I agree with you that Indy should be a nightmare after her refit, sadly the same they have done with Liberty. :loudcry:

On Liberty I've been 4 yers ago and with her huge promenade and her resort feeling she was not my favorite ship, but still provided a decent mixture between modern resort ship and a common cruise ship, as we know it, and I liked her decent outdoor deck space.

Now that Indy gets huge water slides and all those new "actvity centers" (laser tag, bungee trampolines, huge water slides :() IMHO she will be a "Breakaway-Class" clone (I mean the new NCL ships, which are crammed with lots of activity spaces and less calm places).

Sad... the new facilities are a reason for me to book neither Liberty nor Indy. I hope RCI won't do this to Freedom and the Voyager Class ships some day...

A large portion of this has already happened on Freedom.

Laser tag on Symphony is going into Studio B. That doesn't seem to be taking any space. Maybe less free skate time, who knows

If you have never been in there, how could you call it wasted space? I am in the gym every morning and it is usually busy.. how is this a waste?

Your point, just made my point! You think the gym is important, I think it is wasted space. Every passenger is different, and every passenger will find a "space" that they think is not needed, and wish they would add something that they want. So, it's easy to say "it's wasted space because I don't use it. I would rather take a walk around deck then taking a walk on a machine" Some people think all the bars are wasted space. People without kids, might think the kids club is wasted space. Mostly because if you give kids more space, more kids will come!.

I don't like the idea of adding more cabins, but as far as whether a space is good or bad, is based on one's own needs on the trip. I for one, think ships must balance the needs of everyone, and if they do a good job at making the analysis, they will move/resize/reuse various spaces.

That does it. I'm never sailing with a cruise line again that has making money as it's main corporate goal.

Best response ever!

Put it in perspective people: if the ship already holds 4370 people, an extra 200 is less than a five percent increase. Hardly the makings of a "nightmare."

We frequently sail Liberty and have been on her before and after the changes. It hasn’t bothered us at all and when we brought the kids it was actually great for them. Don’t sweat it. I don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference. There are still quiet areas to go to and you might enjoy something new.

A large portion of this has already happened on Freedom.

Laser tag on Symphony is going into Studio B. That doesn't seem to be taking any space. Maybe less free skate time, who knows

I know Freedom has gotten some new staterooms and the disco at deck 3/4 has been replaced by new staterooms and a specialty restaurant - I'm not bothered by that at all.

I meant I rather dislike that Indy (and Liberty) get new ACTIVITY spaces, like those water slides, trampolie park and laser tagging (the latter two venues on Indy only), I mean those ships are more and more turned into more action filled resort ships and I think it's more difficult to find relaxed and calm places when those ships get filled with more energy. That's what I am not happy with.

I don't care for the eateries upon charge. I don't use them, it's as simple as that. But I think those attractions can bother the silence seeking passengers, even in a passive way.

Is the trampoline park free or a new charge?

I kinda hate the idea of even more passengers. That ship was crowded on sea days. As for finding lounge chairs. I watch a chair and if no one comes to use it after awhile, I just move the towel on it and its mine. I have never had an angry person come back and scold me for it. And if they did, I'd deal with it like an adult.