Flight Confusion--Miami or Fort Lauderdale

tinkertwo

We will be sailing on the Symphony and I'm confused as which is best to fly into. We are from Canada so I'll have to investigate which airlines fly to either, however I don't understand which airport I should fly into. I have read people using both. I will add that we can fly out of the US so we have access to some US airlines. Also, we will be flying in the day of our travels (I know, I know, we are taking our chances but that's another topic).

Any thoughts on this would be great and if the thoughts could be back up with reasons, well, that would be helpful.

Thanks to all!

The airports are about 30 minutes apart by car. You can take a cab or Uber between the airports for less than $30.00. I'd say evaluate your flights and see what makes the most sense financially. (Traffic can increase the times between airports significantly, so plan accordingly.) On your return, if you're going to be moving from one city to the other, there won't be traffic to contend with on the weekend, but you'll still need to be at the airport to checkin two hours before your flight, so consider that 2 1/2 hour timefactor when making your return reservations.

Miami is the closest major airport to the Port of Miami, where Synphony will be based. However, some fly to FLL because it can be less expensive. FLL is about 45-60 minutes from the Port of Miami.

Fort Lauderdale airport is 25-30 minutes north of Miami. Miami airport is much closer to the Port of Miami, about 6 miles . To me, it really depends on flight availability and price. if the price and flight times were more advantageous, I wouldn't hesitate to fly into Fort Lauderdale, but make sure you leave sufficient time ---- especially on the flight home after the cruise. That stretch of I-95 between MIA and FLL can be a nightmare for traffic depending, of course, on day and time.

mac_tlc

A cab between the 2 cities is more like $90....so a shuttle would be better. Unless there's a HUGE price difference in airport, fly into the one closest to your port! In your case...fly into Miami...and hop in a cab...costs about $27 for up to 4 people to the port.

Just did it again in Dec. Mia to Fll was $ 45 plus tip w/ "Lyft . Fll to Mia following was $ 43 Plus tip. In Dec 17 Mia dock to airport was $13.50 plus tip w/ Lyft. It is 23 miles between the two and time depends on traffic! We have done this at least 10 times ! Cabs should be your last choice !

We will be sailing on the Symphony and I'm confused as which is best to fly into. We are from Canada so I'll have to investigate which airlines fly to either, however I don't understand which airport I should fly into. I have read people using both. I will add that we can fly out of the US so we have access to some US airlines. Also, we will be flying in the day of our travels (I know, I know, we are taking our chances but that's another topic).

Any thoughts on this would be great and if the thoughts could be back up with reasons, well, that would be helpful.

Thanks to all!

Miami is the closest but more expensive.

The airports are about 30 minutes apart by car. .

I'm sorry but this is not correct. Fort Lauderdale and Miami airports are about 60 minutes apart in good traffic. I make the drive often and have never made it in under an hour at any time of the day or day of the week.

To the OP, if you are cruising out of Miami, fly in and out of Miami.

Thanks to all!

For what it's worth, reconsider flying in the day before you sail. You are going to be super worried until you get on the tarmac at your destination. Horrible way to start a vacation as opposed to a leisurely dinner out the night before....

Fort Lauderdale airport is 25-30 minutes north of Miami. Miami airport is much closer to the Port of Miami, about 6 miles . To me, it really depends on flight availability and price. if the price and flight times were more advantageous, I wouldn't hesitate to fly into Fort Lauderdale, but make sure you leave sufficient time ---- especially on the flight home after the cruise. That stretch of I-95 between MIA and FLL can be a nightmare for traffic depending, of course, on day and time.

mac_tlc

Good information.

Since you are flying in the day of the cruise I would definitely fly to Miami. That hour can make a big difference in whether you make the ship on time or miss the ship. I wouldn't consider cost in your situation. Keep in mind you must be on board 90 minutes before sail away.

This! If you were flying in a day early, and you could fly into FLL for, say $100 less, it would be a no brainer. Even with a $30-ish Uber/Lyft to the Miami area, you'd be ahead of the game, and it wouldn't matter if your flight was delayed, as you'd have all day and night as well as the following morning and afternoon to get there. But since you're flying in the day of the cruise, you'll want to minimize the risks of missing the ship due to a delayed flight. The 45 min to an hour or so to get from FLL to POM could well be the difference in making the ship or not! So in this case, you chose to fly in the day of the cruise, so counter that risk by at least flying in to MIA, even if the flight costs more than a flight to FLL.

We will be sailing on the Symphony and I'm confused as which is best to fly into. We are from Canada...Also, we will be flying in the day of our travels (I know, I know, we are taking our chances but that's another topic.....all!

The topic of which airport to fly in to and arriving the day before are very related topics.

Flying in day of, from such a distance, means your getting up very early or cutting it very close.

If you HAVE to do it this way, then Direct flight in to POM, regardless of cost, no brainer.

If you can catch a flight out after whatever it is you have the day before, then FLL might make sense if you can save $100 or more on airfare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you HAVE to do it this way, then Direct flight in to POM, regardless of cost, no brainer.]

The 30 minutes extra from FLL is unlikely to make much diff - any flight arriving by noon to either airport would work.

Biker, who made it from north of FLL to MIA in 35 minutes this morning. Forums

The 30 minutes extra from FLL is unlikely to make much diff - any flight arriving by noon to either airport would work.

Biker, who made it from north of FLL to MIA in 35 minutes this morning. Forums

The issue becomes about potential airline delays. If your flight to MIA is delayed, you're only a few minutes from POM. If your flight to FLL is delayed, you've got MINIMUM 30 minutes but possibly an hour if traffic is bad to get to POM, and in the event of a delay that can make a difference in getting to the ship or not. The OP is flying in the day of the cruise, which already adds an increased element of risk. At this point, many would argue that they need to do everything possible to minimize any additional risk. That would include flying into MIA instead of FLL. If flights are all on time it won't matter, but if there's a significant delay.....

If I was flying the same day as departure, which I would avoid at all cost, I would go with Miami for logical reasons.

We have flown to FLL twice for Alure and Harmony, and will do so again in December for Symphony.

FLL is very easy to get into, shuttle to many hotels, has a budget rental on HWY 17, which is walking distance to the Embassy. Behind the Embassy are many good restaurants, a grocery store and Liquor/Wine/Beer. There is even a hardware store if you need something before your cruise.

We will shuttle to Embassy, walk to Budget for a rental, spend a couple of days in FLL, then on the day of our cruise, drop the rental off in Miami. Of course there are some added costs here, but also some reductions, as FLL has always been cheaper than Miami from the North (Ottawa). Also, the Embassy in FLL is beautiful. The Miami location is surrounded by the airport, and nothing in walking distance.

I didn't pick up on where in Canada your flying from, but if your over near the West Coast, I would highly reconsider flying in the day off your cruise unless you take a red eye. I am in Calif and can't get into FLL or Miami in sooner then 4 PM leaving at 6 AM, unless I drive to LAX ( 2 hrs) and take a Non Stop. If your cruise leaves at 5 PM, then you need to be on board by 3:30

We fly out of San Francisco and are going on the Allure in September out of Fort Lauderdale..

After checking all flights and times, we have decided to fly into Miami and take Larry's Limo ( we have used them before) to Fort Lauderdale. $87.00 for luxury sedan and that includes tip. We will stay at the Doubletree Galleria.

After the cruise we will then fly from Fort Lauderdale back to San Francisco.

WE WOULD NEVER FLY THE SAME DAY ! Why risk it it ? Someone makes a stupid joke at the airport & they shut down a terminal. Those days are past. We will not even due a red eye that arrives on ship departure day.

This is one of those things that everyone seems to have their own way of doing and probably none of them are wrong. What we did last time, and I'd do again, was fly into FLL, rent a car (Alamo), stay near FLL (we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Hollywood), drive down to MIA airport in the morning (mostly on A1A,not I-95...very nice ride), then take the free Alamo to the port. Did the reverse going home, but didn't stay overnight.

What about taking the train between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami? Just pack light enough so you have 1 suitcase and 1 carryon. Worst case you Uber/Lyft or take a Taxi to and from the TriRail Station saving you money. Its a beautiful ride down with the views of the coast!.

Airport Connections using TriRail

http://www.tri-rail.com/airport-connections/

TriRail Fares(Look at the Zones you will cross and calculate the fare applying any discounts I.E. Senior Citizen/Youth/Student).

http://www.tri-rail.com/fares/fare-calculator/