Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate

SargassoPirate

To the original question "Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate?" Because they can. I don't feel other guests should take it upon themselves to be the the chair police, for many reasons. It should be the cruise line employees (for all rule enforcement really).

If they started seriously enforcing it, it would drop dramatically. Remove items from the pool area and then let them try to sort it out at the end of the cruise in a dark hallway with "you're so vain" playing in the background.

SEARCH THREAD

I agree - every morning there should be 1 or 2 crew members outside at the pool area and if they see someone put a towel or other item(s) on the loungers and try to walk away, they should stop them and say "excuse me madam / sir - you cannot leave items on the loungers unless you are using them now.... any items left unattended on the loungers for more than 30 minutes will be put in a 'lost property' bin" (or words to that effect)

There should be signs in the pool area saying "please do not leave items on the chairs / loungers unattended, as they will be removed"

the chairs / loungers are for everyone - not a select few who put stuff on them to 'bags' them for later

I agree - every morning there should be 1 or 2 crew members outside at the pool area and if they see someone put a towel or other item(s) on the loungers and try to walk away, they should stop them and say "excuse me madam / sir - you cannot leave items on the loungers unless you are using them now.... any items left unattended on the loungers for more than 30 minutes will be put in a 'lost property' bin" (or words to that effect)

Although I agree, I can see potential confrontations in that suggestion. A better solution is for the crew to place little stickers, with the time written on them, on every lounger that doesn't have anyone sitting there. If the loungers are still vacant after 30 minutes then the items are removed to a "lost property" area. No confrontations and after a few days people will get the message.

I have heard that some cruise lines / ships do this but haven't experienced it myself.

Indeed, it doesn't have anything to do with the usual chair hogging, but seeing as you brought it up.....Nothing you've said changes my mind. I don't think anyone would advocate chugging their coffee or food down to make room for another. What I was talking about is being sensible and considerate to others. Sitting in Cafe Al Bacio looking out of the windows with no intention of drinking or eating anything and chatting at the table when there are others who would like to use the facilities of the venue is inconsiderate. From time to time I've seen signage in the Oceanview Cafe to this effect when there has been a real problem.

There are plenty of places to look out without curtains. The Sky Observation Lounge for one. That is just an excuse.

Phil

I totally agree. Al Bacio is the only place on board where it is possible to get a decent pot of tea, and I go at least once a day. Often it is impossible to find a seat at a vacant table amongst the readers and chatters, but when it is crowded I ask to share a table and that often makes people realise. I sometimes think they are unaware the place has filled up and they wander off after a few minutes.

Indeed, it doesn't have anything to do with the usual chair hogging, but seeing as you brought it up.....Nothing you've said changes my mind. I don't think anyone would advocate chugging their coffee or food down to make room for another. What I was talking about is being sensible and considerate to others. Sitting in Cafe Al Bacio looking out of the windows with no intention of drinking or eating anything and chatting at the table when there are others who would like to use the facilities of the venue is inconsiderate. From time to time I've seen signage in the Oceanview Cafe to this effect when there has been a real problem.

There are plenty of places to look out without curtains. The Sky Observation Lounge for one. That is just an excuse.

Phil

I couldn't agree more. The seating in Café Al Bacio is intended for its customers, not passengers just looking for a comfy seat with a good view of the sea.

First, consider:

"The broken windows theory is a criminological theory of the norm-setting and signaling effect of urban disorder and vandalism on additional crime and anti-social behavior. The theory states that maintaining and monitoring urban environments to prevent small crimes such as vandalism, public drinking, and turnstile-jumping helps to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes from happening."

Someone's been watching to much 'Big Bang Theory'

Phil

Your comments are spot on!

Thoughts on "enforcement" of deck chair rules:

1. If the pool attendants had strong extroverted, and charismatic personalities with the ability to convince you diplomatically of your "chair hogging wrongs," they would not be working as pool attendants on a cruise ship.

2. If the pool attendants were paid a higher wage to handle some of the ridiculous confrontations we've all seen in life when these types of things come up, they might be more inclined to step into the ring, as it were, and challenge those who break the rules.

3. If the pool attendants were not under direct threat of losing their jobs as a result of bad questionnaire comments, they may be less intimidated about enforcing the chair guidelines.

4. So institute the timed sticker idea and spin the message in a more positive light. Rather than saying your items will be taken from the chair and put in Lost and Found, the message should be: After one hour, your items will be removed for safe-keeping. The pool attendants could staff a nice-looking counter area with cubbyholes behind them where your items are "being kept." So people are not receiving a penalty, they are being watched-out for.

Thoughts on "hogging" in other venues:

Why is it OK to sit on a deck chair all day, chatting or playing cards, or SLEEPING, without using the pool; but it's NOT OK to do that at Windjammer, Cafe Al Bacio, etc. without eating?

I feel that the Cafe al Bacio / Windjammer comparison to deck chair hogs is apples to oranges. If someone went to the Windjammer or Cafe al Bacio and put his book on the table and a sweater over each of two chairs, then walked away for 2 hours, THAT would be a chair hog. Or if someone went to Windjammer at 10:00 am, shoved tables together so they could prepare for a group of 20 seated together for lunch at noon, THAT would be a chair hog. If you're butt is in the seat, I feel it's OK. Honestly, there are alot of places to sit on board in relative isolation and read, study or visit, including your cabin. But being with and around people has a certain appeal. (And one can only drink so much coffee!) The ship is built for community...if not the cabins would be bigger and the public spaces would be fewer.

Sitting in Cafe Al Bacio looking out of the windows with no intention of drinking or eating anything

In my first post about Al Bacio I already said that I always do order a drink. I just don't care if others don't. Last cruise I noticed that officers who brought their family on board love the place, even without coffee.

Al Bacio is the only place on board where it is possible to get a decent pot of tea, and I go at least once a day.

If Al Bacio really is the only place where proper tea is served, isn't that the problem? What makes boiling water so difficult that Celebrity can't do that in the Sky Lounge?

As I said earlier, every single seat in public areas on the ship is part of a venue. There's always a bar. Apart from the tea situation, I really don't see what makes Al Bacio any different from all the other venues, except that it's a very popular one.

If there are not enough Al Bacio-like places, X could turn the virtually empty Sushi place into one during the day. Or make decent tea available elsewhere. You're blaming the wrong people.

In my first post about Al Bacio I already said that I always do order a drink. I just don't care if others don't. Last cruise I noticed that officers who brought their family on board love the place, even without coffee

I know you did because I read what you wrote. I also read your defence of others which is what I was responding to. I've been on Cafe Al Bacio when Captain Nick has been in there with lots of his family. Not sure if he was drinking or not, but it didn't bother me. After all, he was the designated driver. Lol

Phil

Why is it OK to sit on a deck chair all day, chatting or playing cards, or SLEEPING, without using the pool; but it's NOT OK to do that at Windjammer, Cafe Al Bacio, etc. without eating?

I don't consider it being a chair hog if someone is playing cards, reading, etc. in the buffet when it is meal time and folks are walking around with their plates full of food trying to find a place to sit down and eat. I call it rude behavior.

I know you did because I read what you wrote. I also read your defence of others which is what I was responding to. I've been on Cafe Al Bacio when Captain Nick has been in there with lots of his family. Not sure if he was drinking or not, but it didn't bother me. After all, he was the designated driver. Lol

Phil

I wasn't sure anymore after "There are plenty of places to look out without curtains. The Sky Observation Lounge for one. That is just an excuse". That would be my excuse. I plead not guilty for the offence that isn't an offence. And I still prefer Al Bacio over the Sky Observation Lounge. :)

I love the title of Jonathan Mercer's blog called "Captain, who's driving" that captures a whole funny anecdote in 3 words. :)

If the attached image has already been posted, my apologies. We saw the attached on pool loungers on sea days on the Silhouette for the January 14-26 sailing. Hard to tell if it worked as we tend to seek loungers in shady areas. There were a few times that the Solarium pool loungers were pretty much filled with the open ones hosting a variety of personal items.

I took the liberty of giving the placard a thread-appropriate name...:p

744729462_ChairHogPlacard.jpeg.c6827042eeced047a7cc0cc104f6d0fd.jpeg

In my first post about Al Bacio I already said that I always do order a drink. I just don't care if others don't. Last cruise I noticed that officers who brought their family on board love the place, even without coffee.

If Al Bacio really is the only place where proper tea is served, isn't that the problem? What makes boiling water so difficult that Celebrity can't do that in the Sky Lounge?

As I said earlier, every single seat in public areas on the ship is part of a venue. There's always a bar. Apart from the tea situation, I really don't see what makes Al Bacio any different from all the other venues, except that it's a very popular one.

If there are not enough Al Bacio-like places, X could turn the virtually empty Sushi place into one during the day. Or make decent tea available elsewhere. You're blaming the wrong people.

The bars are not open all the time and the sky lounge has limited hours.

And the same ones who will knock you down in order to be 5' in front of you!! We have become a nation of self-centered and selfish individuals with an enormous sense of self-entitlement. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Amen, perfectly worded

Just my opinion, but I think if someone has "reserved" a chair you want, you take some other chair and keep an eye on the "reserved" one for an hour. If no one comes back, move to that chair. If there are any belongings, place them on top of the towel rack. If we take a stance and let the chair hogs know, the "reserve" is good only an hour, that's the official cruise etiquette, just like their towel on the chair is cruise etiquette for "reserved", they'll get used to the idea that they can't expect the chair to be here if and when they come back several hours later.

:

Just my opinion, but I think if someone has "reserved" a chair you want, you take some other chair and keep an eye on the "reserved" one for an hour. If no one comes back, move to that chair. If there are any belongings, place them on top of the towel rack. If we take a stance and let the chair hogs know, the "reserve" is good only an hour, that's the official cruise etiquette, just like their towel on the chair is cruise etiquette for "reserved", they'll get used to the idea that they can't expect the chair to be here if and when they come back several hours later.

:

Disagree. I recommend you read Celebrity's Policy concerning not reserving loungers and the time limit for an unoccupied loungers. Also you suggesting someone remove someone else's personal property. Very bad advise. Some people tip over real easy. Not worth the possible confrontation. That's the pool attendants job. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=414211&d=1518202423

Edited by davekathy

The bars are not open all the time and the sky lounge has limited hours.

The Oceanview provides specialty coffees all day if I'm not mistaken. Why can't X offer decent tea there if that's the problem? I didn't even know such artificial scarcity existed while I must admit that I have had wine in Al Bacio.

A seat in the front row in the Sky Lounge is also hard to get, I've never had the chance actually. Should people move because they've seen enough ships in the distance for today? Or because they didn't order enough?

I do value etiquette, but not being allowed to sit in a public chair for as long as you like is new to me.

If you're butt is in the seat, I feel it's OK.

Exactly.

First, consider:

"The broken windows theory is a criminological theory of the norm-setting and signaling effect of urban disorder and vandalism on additional crime and anti-social behavior. The theory states that maintaining and monitoring urban environments to prevent small crimes such as vandalism, public drinking, and turnstile-jumping helps to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes from happening."

In the absence of enforcement by the cruise line, Chair Hog Bullies are allowed and therefore proliferate. On one recent cruise where we experienced several days of cold weather, the majority of the loungers in the Solarium were "reserved" with a towel, a paperback/magazine, and a flip flop by 6-6:30 AM. Many of the same loungers were "reserved" hours later and the staff attendants were doing nothing to pick up the abandoned materials.

We all need to call Chair Hogs what they are, Bullies, and demand enforcement of the rules by cruise line staff.

If good people say nothing, they are allowing the Chair Hogs to bully them.

So why don't you remove the towel and paperback and sit yourself down? This happens on ALL cruise lines. Make a scene if the person comes back and tells you to remove yourself. Only then will the cruise line take action. I had a recent experience like that on a Hawaiian cruise. We were looking for a spot to sit and a couple left a nice window seat. I went to grab the seat and the people who were already seated got up to grab the table and chair. I told them I was going to sit there. They said "we want to sit there!" I told them they already had a seat, DH and I sat there and enjoyed the view. They weren't happy, so what, we were. If you don't say something and take action, nothing will change.

I went to grab the seat and the people who were already seated got up to grab the table and chair. I told them I was going to sit there. They said "we want to sit there!" I told them they already had a seat, DH and I sat there and enjoyed the view. They weren't happy, so what, we were. If you don't say something and take action, nothing will change.
I think the person who got to the table first should get the seat and it shouldn't matter if they were sitting in another chair or not, because a lot of folks sit in a seat waiting for a table.