Booking Early

Cruisingirl2012

This question has probably been asked many times before and is probably also very subjective. Seriously thinking of booking now for a Sept 2019 cruise to Hawaii. The cost for Cruise alone out of Vancouver 10 days is roughly 6k for two including drink package with Balcony. Some tell me it`s pretty much the price for Hawaii cruise so tell me, should I go for it?

My personal experience has always been that the earlier we book the better the price. And we get the cabin we want. You can look for the price to go down as well. We booked a year and a half out for a cruise this coming fall. Recently there was a price reduction and we saved an additional $400 each. Sometimes that happens, sometimes not. We've never regretted booking early though.

1. booking now gets you the cabin you want the perks that are offered.

2. waiting may get you a lower price, but not the perks or the cabin you want

my suggestion is to book now and as the price changes, you contact your travel agent or celebrity directly if that is how you booked and ask for a better cabin. You can get a price reduction as long as you have not made final payment.

We are currently booked on a round trip out of LA for Oct - so may be the same cruise as you. I booked a sunset veranda, and we are paying almost $7k. We are getting drinks, gratuities, and $250 OBC - plus OBC from travel agency. If the price drops and I can move into a suite, I will try to move up,

Generally speaking, there is no true way of predicting whether a cruise will rise in price or not. You can ask people's experience, in general, for that itinerary. For example, Alaska cruises are priced pretty high and almost always fill up so prices generally do not come down much if at all. On the other hand, 7 day Caribbean cruises might see some drops depending on time of year. I don't know about Hawaii itineraries.

Keep in mind that if you book direct, you can cancel without penalty until final payment so other than the $$ of deposit being out of your savings what do you have to lose? If the prices fall, call Celebrity and have them adjust them (they will not notify you). If you see better deals later, cancel and rebook if need be. Even after final payment, if prices drop you can upgrade to a better category as long as the price is at least $1 higher. Also, if you are particular about room location, booking early has its advantages. Rooms in desirable locations (like hump cabins) book up first.

We always book early (U.S. Booking so penalties for cancellation) and often are able to get price reductions if the price falls.

I have a number of cruises that were booked a couple years in advance where the prices sky rocked after booked. One booking I have for a Celebrity Suite for a Japan cruise has jumped $2,000 pp since we booked.

At least for an American booking where we get a full refund of deposit if cancelled prior to final payment date the only cost is your deposit sitting out there.

I've done that cruise twice in the past couple of years. Both in 1a Hump cabins with drink package. Paid $1,499 for one and $1,699 for the other. Both 10 day cruises. You could book now but use the site that send price drop alerts, costs you .99 cents a cruise and be vigiliant. There are more options now on Celebrity for Hawaii so you may get a break on this one. My cruises were booked way in advance of final payment.

This question has probably been asked many times before and is probably also very subjective. Seriously thinking of booking now for a Sept 2019 cruise to Hawaii. The cost for Cruise alone out of Vancouver 10 days is roughly 6k for two including drink package with Balcony. Some tell me it`s pretty much the price for Hawaii cruise so tell me, should I go for it?

We are on Eclipse September 22, we booked B2B2B Vancouver-Hawaii-Vancouver-Los Angeles (28 Nights, 11+10+7)

For the first leg We are on Veranda 2B $5,860, 2 free perks we choose $300 OBC and Gratuities

The advantages of booking now is that you can choose the best cabins, with respect to the rate if it comes down one can request an upgrade to a superior cabin or price reduction (Celebrity has the best price guarantee policy). And for the B2B2B we are in the same cabin in the 3 legs.

Maybe you could check the price for this same cruise in Sept 2018 in order to determine if the Sept 2019 price is a good deal. You can have the rate adjusted if the price goes down at any point prior to final payment. You can also cancel and rebook if a great special with perks pops up prior to final payment, unless that program specifically states new bookings only.

I've done that cruise twice in the past couple of years. Both in 1a Hump cabins with drink package. Paid $1,499 for one and $1,699 for the other. Both 10 day cruises. You could book now but use the site that send price drop alerts, costs you .99 cents a cruise and be vigiliant. There are more options now on Celebrity for Hawaii so you may get a break on this one. My cruises were booked way in advance of final payment.

What is this site? you can PM me if it violates terms.

We are on the April 29th Solstice , a 12 day Honolulu to Vancover, got a 1b on hump with drink package for $3825 total. Booked in early Sept 2016 during a short buy one get second @ 50% off sale. We had been looking for over a year for a Hawaii to west coast or opposite direction. This was by far the best cost Celebrity sale we had seen + all future sales have been higher. Celebrity has a different sale seems like every month & you just have to keep looking until you find what you can live with. Good luck. Charlie

Maybe you could check the price for this same cruise in Sept 2018 in order to determine if the Sept 2019 price is a good deal. You can have the rate adjusted if the price goes down at any point prior to final payment. You can also cancel and rebook if a great special with perks pops up prior to final payment, unless that program specifically states new bookings only.

I agree with the suggestion to look at 2018 prices but a year and a half is WAY too far out for me to book any cruise unless it is an exotic or one time only itinerary, which this isn't.

I always try to book the first hour the cruise is released. It is after final payment now and the going price for an S1 corner aft is still more than I paid...got my corner aft suite where I wanted it...I am happy! The price at different times was almost 2,000 pp than I paid, all perks and 775 OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with the suggestion to look at 2018 prices but a year and a half is WAY too far out for me to book any cruise unless it is an exotic or one time only itinerary, which this isn't.

There is only 2 cruises leaving out of Vancouver at the time of year we want to go so I figure they may fill up quick. And also I like to have something to look forward to :)

Prices in 2018 seem a little higher but just heard back from TA that he is getting me a better rate than originally given. Crossing my fingers!

I ALWAYS book early if I can...then I monitor the prices...sometimes they go down, but, more often, if it's a high demand sailing and date, they go nowhere but up...

AND I always book through a TA...Find a TA that gives you something back--typically it's extra onboard credit. The cruise lines will never match this or undercut it...So, you are always that far ahead with a TA...But, find your TA carefully. Not all give those sorts of extras. Usually it takes a high volume agency...and it's likely no one close to wherever you live (for example, though I live in California, my TA is in Florida). I also like TAs that are not merely a website...where there is a real person that you can speak with live. It ios not always the best price, but, rather, the best combination of price and service.,..

Going back to the initial question:

I have had cruises where I've booked early at a rate I would, obviously, be willing to pay...then, later in the cycle, the price has come down--or, often, they have dropped the price on an upgraded category--and I've called my TA and either gotten the price adjustment or upgraded to the better category, often with little or no cost.

Last summer, for example, I had booked back-to-back cruises in the Med on RCCL Jewel of the Seas on the very first day the itineraries were made available. I got a great "hump" balcony...the same cabin for BOTH cruises...for a mere approximately $4,000 for TWO for the whole 14-night double cruise...Over the course of time, the prices kept rising until they were well over DOUBLE that! Near they end, they were advertising some "sale" prices--back to only about double what I paid...and with some very limited cabin choices...I just smiled...

Right now, I am booked onto three future Celebrity cruises, all booked fairly early...There were some confusing deals offered on my upcoming Alaska cruise with "two free perks", etc. and with residency and senior rates...turns out the two deals are not combinable...so, either way you slice it, the current deals all fall short of the price I got over a year ago. I also have booked a British Isles cruise for July 2019...my balcony cabin is going for well over $3,000 per person for a 12 night cruise (of course I'm getting a lot of OBC-mostly from my TA and a drinks package)...I think it's a bit high...but I booked it--got to pick my midship (my favored location) slant (bigger balcony) cabin...and, now, I'll just keep monitoring prices over the next year and a half...I am willing to pay what I booked it for...but, if those prices drop at any time, I will be on the phone with my TA and we'll improve the deal...

The bottom line is that the early booking is, at worst, a hedge against rising prices. I do the same with hotel reservations--always book a hotel as early as possible with a refundable rate...then keep checking...If I can do better, I cancel and rebook...otherwise, I know I have a reservation...and I don't have to worry about hotels selling out either...

I`m still on the fence, is it best to book with TA or Cruise line directly? I've booked my other cruises with the Cruise Line directly and this time I've been chatting back and forth with TA for information and prices.

This question comes up very often and you will see those that have concerns over "losing control" of their reservation and those of us that book through a TA for monetary reasons.

I now use a "big box" warehouse store's TA that gives approximately 8% of the cost of your cruise back as a gift card for their store. Some online TAs reportedly do as well or better than this.

I recently transferred a reservation booked on board to this TA; then a couple of months later had the TA switch my reservation to an entirely different cruise. Kept my on-board-booking bonus OBC throughout the changes and will save $475 (8%).

Just be sure to check to see if a TA has any hidden fees for changes or cancellations. My "big box" TA does not.

Under US rules and with refundable deposits you have nothing to lose (other than the interest you could have otherwise earned on the money tied up in the deposit) and everything to gain by booking early.

You get your choice of cabins, the lower price if prices rise, and the opportunity to have your cabin repriced if the price goes down or if additional perks are offered. And you still have the option to cancel or switch your reservation to another cruise if your plans change. What more could you ask for?

And if you book a future cruise a couple of years in advance while on board, you get the bonus OBC (that can be transferred if you later decide to switch you reservation to a different cruise) and have a lower deposit.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that if you are from the US, you can get price drops if it changes up until final payment. I use cruise fish . Net It costs $1 per cruise to follow pricing. We are on the same cruise for April of 2018. We booked in sept of 16 - obstructed view balcony with drink package at $5,000 per cabin. Cruise tracker alerted me to a price drop in nov of 16 and was able to upgrade to a non-obstructed view and drop the price to $4,000 per cabin. After that the balcony cabins jumped up to $7,400 per cabin and stayed there until final payment. Past final payment they did drop and new bookers were able to get a balcony with 2 perks for $2,000-$3,000 at various times. We were fine. We have side by side balconies and had been able to spend the last 12 months planning the trip since we knew we were booked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums