Friendly Reminder - Taxi Scams in Miami

robmac330

Saw this in the Miami Herald today, older couple heading out on a cruise was put into a cab from the official taxi line at Miami International, and scammed out of $700+

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article197303744.html

Yes, a few bad eggs don't mean the entire industry is out to get you, but even scammers can make it into the official taxi lines from time to time. If you're flying into Miami, keep in mind:

- All taxis servicing Miami International must have credit card readers in the back seat from either Verifone or Creative Mobile Technologies. These readers should list fare, tip, and taxes as separate categories.

- It is illegal for cab drivers to use Squares to swipe your card on their phone or other device.

- You have the legal right to a printed receipt for your ride. Ask for one.

- If anything about your ride or payment process seems fishy, make sure to jot the drivers name and license number into your phone, as well as the name of the taxi company and taxi number. This will prove valuable if you have to file a complaint with the city later.

Thanks for sharing this.

I experienced two issues in 2016/2017.

Both were not like that but drivers bending the rules.

One wanted to charge me a flat rate from downtown Miami to South Beach. I agreed because the price was right based on doing this previously but he was skimming the owner since he didn't run the meter.

Other was leaving Port of Miami to Miami Airport and they were trying to charge me for time/distance rather then a flat rate.

However this happens in most cities having seen it first had in Boston. Again not to the extent mentioned in the article.

Like all professions you have your honorable people and some dishonest ones.

Keith

We tried Uber at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale and the drivers did not want to come to the airport.

Can't speak to FLL, but Miami has a pretty good Uber setup, with an area for drivers to wait until they get a request. They also use a geofenced area around the airport so that the first driver to arrive in the waiting area who meets the request criteria (UberX, Uber Luxe, etc.) gets the first pickup, kind of like a digital taxi line.

We tried Uber at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale and the drivers did not want to come to the airport.

Not sure how long ago you tried to get an Uber at FLL, or what time of day, but lots of reports on this board every week about cruisers happily using Uber from FLL to PE, hotels, POM, Miami Beach, etc.

Never had to wait over 5 minutes for an Uber at FLL. Like another poster said, I won't even use a taxi as long as Uber/Lyft is available. No reason to. Uber/Lyft is the way to go 100%. The only advantage a taxi has over Uber/Lyft is they're sitting there waiting and you may have to wait UP TO 5 minutes on an Uber/Lyft at an airport.

In Miami, I usually I assume I'm getting scammed (no matter where or what) and when it doesn't happen, I am pleasantly surprised.

My friend has made a living writing about what a scammy, crooked place Miami is. He writes for national publications.

Of course there are good and bad people everywhere but watching our local news is a real eye opener.

Is uber available at the post of Miami?

Yes - Uber is available at the Port of Miami - expect the wait for your car to be 5 min or less

Uber and Lyft are also available at Port Everglades, and both the MIA and FLL airports. :D

It was my first and only attempt at using Uber. I wasn't quite sure what I was doing, I thought the app gave your location when you requested a car. When I got a text msg from the driver asking for the pick up point and I responded with FLL he replied back that he was not near the airport and was not going to come and pick us up. We headed over to the taxi line and were in a cab in a few minutes. The driver then thought he was going to be cute and run up the fare by missing the entrance to Embassy Suites, even though I had commented "there's the hotel". By the time he drove around the cost was more. I handed him the exact amount of cash and remarked that his tip was included in the around the block sight seeing tour. I later realized I could have asked him to turn off the meter but figured we broke even.

Not a good start to the cruise, luckily things went uphill from there. Maybe we'll give Uber another try this cruise.

I used Uber to get from FLL to my hotel near the Miami airport and also from the port of Miami back to the FLL. I had no issues. When I exited the port area after my cruise, I ordered the Uber and walked out to the middle section. I let the driver know what my husband and I were wearing and that we were waiting in the middle section. The driver contacted me as soon as he arrived approx five minutes later. It was much more convenient than a shuttle and less expensive than a cab.

Where do yo wait for UBER at MIA airport? we will arrive with AA international flight around noon on Saturday

There’s no set pickup point, since all Uber drivers servicing the airport are held in a single area until requested. It should ask you what terminal and door number you are at in the app. If it doesn’t, once a car is assigned send them a quick message with your terminal and door number.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was my first and only attempt at using Uber. I wasn't quite sure what I was doing, I thought the app gave your location when you requested a car. When I got a text msg from the driver asking for the pick up point and I responded with FLL he replied back that he was not near the airport and was not going to come and pick us up. We headed over to the taxi line and were in a cab in a few minutes. The driver then thought he was going to be cute and run up the fare by missing the entrance to Embassy Suites, even though I had commented "there's the hotel". By the time he drove around the cost was more. I handed him the exact amount of cash and remarked that his tip was included in the around the block sight seeing tour. I later realized I could have asked him to turn off the meter but figured we broke even.

Not a good start to the cruise, luckily things went uphill from there. Maybe we'll give Uber another try this cruise.

The app should give your location, and a more recent update also includes a “confirm your location” function before the request processes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The uber jockies are usually blocking up the arrival level, taking up all the spaces along the middle curb that's for regular people to pick up friends or relatives.

The other place they wait is the main entrance break down lanes, waiting then shooting out into traffic, thinking their orue way flashers are enough to keep regular people from running into them.

Uber jockies are a pain.