Anyone else annoyed or perplexed by the fact that the robot gets a tip

Ok... but still, why do they EXPECT or REQUIRE a tip? Should we be required to tip the Coke machines too? That is the same concept as the bionic bar. It makes no sense. Since when are passengers responsible fo the Crew's Welfare?

It is not a tip and RCI has never called it a tip. It is a service charge.

Ok... but still, why do they EXPECT or REQUIRE a tip? Should we be required to tip the Coke machines too? That is the same concept as the bionic bar. It makes no sense. Since when are passengers responsible fo the Crew's Welfare?

We do tip the Freestyle machines, tip is added when you buy the drink package.

Gratuity is added to the Coke package, so you are paying a tip.

Ive given up worrying about the gratuity, in my mind its all part of the price I pay for the cruise and I come from the UK where its as alien to us as anything could be.

Enjoy your tip robot I say :D

I remember buying our grandkids novelty straws, reusable ones with toy animals on them, quite a few years ago in a clearance sales held in one of the restaurants onboard and being charged the gratuities as I was told this was considered a bar sales.

At least it was a live person making the sale.

I wonder if that still happens when there is a separately table with dedicated personel selling cooler bags, novelty glasses, straws, etc. that do not contain a drink as I've seen in the Esplanade on the Anthem and on other cruises we've done?

The tipping in general on cruises has gotten out of control. So many hidden fees people I know just gave up after they saw all the add ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really? Lol. They quite over gratuities? Do your buddies refuse to go out and eat, too?

The tips that are automatically added to the prices of drinks are divided among the crew members. I do not think that the robot gets a share! Nevertheless, if the tip was waived at the Bionic Bar, then the Bionic Bar would simply become a place to purchase drinks at a lower price than anywhere else. That is certainly not the purpose for which Royal Caribbean created the Bionic Bar.

What was the purpose? Maybe a test to see if they can get rid of the bartenders?

I don't understand why their is an 18% tip added to the price of a drink that is purchased, made and served by the robot. That is the reason why after using it once most don't go back. Every cruise that I have been on that has a Bionic Bar is empty after the first day.

Luckily there is no need for you to understand it.

I´ve never seen the bionic bar empty on the ships I´ve been on that had it.

Do you really think folks give up drinking because there is a service charge added to drinks from the bionic bar? So what would they gain by not going back there because of the added service charge. They have to pay it at every other bar anyway. So your thoughts make no sense at all.

Oh yeah and I´m fine with the 18% added just like at any other bar. Not the least bit annoyed or perplexed. I would be perplexed if there wasn´t a service charge.

It seems you are quite unhappy with a lot of things, maybe it´s time for you to branch out to other lines or even other forms of vacation.

But shouldn't RCCL pay that person? Gratuities are supposed to be a reward for good service not payment of someone's salary. The person stocking the machine is not serving anyone anything.

It makes as much sense as having part of the extra that is collected daily as part of the tip going to the person who stocks the in-cabin bar. Number 1, that bar is now emptied, except for those who choose to order the filling of the bar and 2, when the bars were stocked there was a gratuity charged per item removed, so why does this mysterious person get more money? I used to look at the charge as a re-stocking fee, but it was called a gratuity.

But shouldn't RCCL pay that person? Gratuities are supposed to be a reward for good service not payment of someone's salary. The person stocking the machine is not serving anyone anything.

RCCL pays that person using money you paid as a part of the service charge. It's simple, passengers, in one way or another, pay the costs of all ships personnel. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

I don't understand why their is an 18% tip added to the price of a drink that is purchased, made and served by the robot. That is the reason why after using it once most don't go back. Every cruise that I have been on that has a Bionic Bar is empty after the first day.

Could you imagine how busy the Bionic Bar would be if the 18% was not added on. I don't think you could get near the place.

Ive given up worrying about the gratuity, in my mind its all part of the price I pay for the cruise and I come from the UK where its as alien to us as anything could be.

Enjoy your tip robot I say :D

I think this is the only sane way to look at the gratuities on cruise ships. They are just fees tacked on to the cruise fare. What they are actually used for, whether there is a corresponding service, how much RCI pays or doesn't pay their staff, it's all just a bit of a distraction and possibly a bit of a sham. They are like resort fees at hotels.

Whether they call the drink $10 with a gratuity or an $11.80 drink really is kind of besides the point. It's an $11.80 drink. Full stop. Exactly where the money goes or doesn't, really doesn't change the math. If you value the drink more than you value $11.80, pay it. If you don't, don't. That way, it just doesn't matter.

RCCL pays that person using money you paid as a part of the service charge. It's simple, passengers, in one way or another, pay the costs of all ships personnel. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Well, there is, sort of. Rather than distribute the service charge equally among all cruisers (like they do with the mandatory room gratuities), they are charging those who spend more on board more of the service charge. So, there may be a benefit to those who do not purchase much on board.

If RCI were to dispense with gratuities and service charges it is hard to know exactly how they would make up the revenue in terms of distribution among cruisers. My guess is that those who pay more for cabins would pay more of these fees. So, in that way, the person in an inside cabin is probably subsidizing the person in a nicer cabin at the moment by paying equal service charges and fees -- just as the person who rings up a $1,000 bar tab on the cruise is paying $180, of which a cruiser who does not go to the bar might (emphasis on might) otherwise pay a portion if the fees were simply distributed as part of the cruise fare.

It's not really knowable. But there probably are some who benefit from gratuities and service charges in a way they wouldn't if these were eliminated and recovered in another way.

I think this is the only sane way to look at the gratuities on cruise ships. They are just fees tacked on to the cruise fare. What they are actually used for, whether there is a corresponding service, how much RCI pays or doesn't pay their staff, it's all just a bit of a distraction and possibly a bit of a sham. They are like resort fees at hotels.

Whether they call the drink $10 with a gratuity or an $11.80 drink really is kind of besides the point. It's an $11.80 drink. Full stop. Exactly where the money goes or doesn't, really doesn't change the math. If you value the drink more than you value $11.80, pay it. If you don't, don't. That way, it just doesn't matter.

This exactly. I don't care whether it is called a tip, a service charge, or just rolled into the cost of the item. In the end, the total price is what matters.

When the Bionic Bar debuted on the Quantum, I asked the Hotel Director that question.

He said that the 18% goes into the Crew Welfare Fund. This directly benefits the entire crew.

Pretty sure you are right. I do remember hearing that quite while back. If so it's ok with me...