Newer RCI ships listed in "Ugliest ever" cruise ships article

time4u2go

She only had tugs as she was without power in that picture. It was after the boiler explosion. I enjoyed the view from the tender into St Thomas myself. Her deep draft would of come in handy during one those nasty storms off the east coast. No need to hate.

Not hating, sad I never sailed her. Not because she was pretty, but because she was interesting inside.

I was just pointing out newer designs have a lot of pluses.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Ok, but that pretty ocean liner can't maneuver with a damn. Needs a whole fleet of tugs to push her around.

As I recall Norway never docked in St Thomas. Always anchored in the harbour. So I guess all the folks reminiscing about pretty ships like to tender. 😉

Can't people just reminisce about pretty ships and just leave it at that?:rolleyes:

Nothing in RCCL's fleet compares to Radiance Class...still the "prettiest" ships RCCL has...and our personal favorites.

We agree. We got off Oasis Sunday, so we do sometimes take advantage of a really good price on a big ship out of Port Canaveral.

However, our favorites are Radiance Class...the prettiest and very comfortable with an ambiance we particularly enjoy. We're doing a B2B2B on Brilliance out of Tampa on 3/17, which will bring our total of Radiance Class cruises to 16.

We are fortunate to be retired and live roughly half way between Port Canaveral and Tampa, so we don't even consider cruises out of other ports anymore.

Margy

Ok, but that pretty ocean liner can't maneuver with a damn. Needs a whole fleet of tugs to push her around.

As I recall Norway never docked in St Thomas. Always anchored in the harbour. So I guess all the folks reminiscing about pretty ships like to tender. [emoji6]

But she was a real ship and beautiful to see. We loved the Norway, tenders and all.

When you tender, you don’t have to walk the length of what feels like a five mile long wharf!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the Royal Caribbean ship are quite attractive externally. In some ways they still look quite traditional just very big. In my opinion the ugly award would go to Norwegian Epic and Princess Grand Class. In terms of beauty I think it is hard to beat Queen Elizabeth 2 and Royal Clipper but I am biased.

Where’s the like button? I loved QEII, zero balconies or water slides but didn’t need them.

The article is just one persons opinion probably just trying to stir the pot. I think any newer ship with all the balconies that the market now expects is going to resemble a condominium from the side. I don't think there is any way to avoid that.

Purple and orange!

My oversight. Purple plus orange! Reason # 273 why the interiors of older Carnival ships age so quickly before their time. Shout-out to Joe Farcus anybody?

Edited by coaster

Summary, not a fan of the mega-ships that can't pass under the Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa Bay. That is a personal comfort level based on no scientific evidence or revenue based factors. However, the newer Royal ships that were featured in this USA Today article that would not come close to passage below the Sunshine Skyway look pretty darn sleek and classy to me.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

They are just jealous they cannot afford to cruise with us! Or, that they do not have shares in the cruise line.

As long as ships are safe and floating, I do not care what the ship looks like outside - it is not what keeps me cruising. Care more about food, room, entertainment etc...

They are just jealous they cannot afford to cruise with us!

Lose the elitism. I wanted to try something new this fall and was going to book Carnival Breeze but it was more expensive than Oasis for a 7 night sailing. I love Royal but don't let them fool you into thinking that they are some "elite" class. They are on the same level as Carnival and Norwegian.

They are just jealous they cannot afford to cruise with us! Or, that they do not have shares in the cruise line.

As long as ships are safe and floating, I do not care what the ship looks like outside - it is not what keeps me cruising. Care more about food, room, entertainment etc...

Who is jealous?:rolleyes:

Those older ships are mostly hull that limits functionality. I used to build WWII planes. I love their classy looks but they would be useless today. Just like older autos, you would be lucky to get 100,000 miles out of an engine. I love and embrace technology advances that make our lives better and more enconomical.

Yep that's part of the issue. Sure, you could design a smaller, classic ship, but it does not provide the economy of scale Royal's business plan uses.

Look at Disney, their original ships were smaller and very classic looking. But their new ones have Aqua Ducks running through the fake funnels. That's what their market wants

We agree. We got off Oasis Sunday, so we do sometimes take advantage of a really good price on a big ship out of Port Canaveral.

However, our favorites are Radiance Class...the prettiest and very comfortable with an ambiance we particularly enjoy. We're doing a B2B2B on Brilliance out of Tampa on 3/17, which will bring our total of Radiance Class cruises to 16.

We are fortunate to be retired and live roughly half way between Port Canaveral and Tampa, so we don't even consider cruises out of other ports anymore.

Margy

Agree. I use do longer Brilliance cruises now on Serenade 40-50 nites a year...