Newer RCI ships listed in "Ugliest ever" cruise ships article

time4u2go

I guess one can fill up online newspaper space with almost anything these days. There is no standard for ugly or beautiful. Perhaps one can argue that in the old days passenger vessels were sleek due to the need for speed and stability across the ocean. So sleek now is defined in this article as beautiful. Modern cruise ships are not designed that way- a totally different species. That does not make them ugly. Just an evolved breed for the leisure passenger industry.

I agree that every RC ship after (and larger than) the Freedom Class is hideous. Oasis and Quantum Class are just ugly. RC ships up to that point were classy and elegant. What happened?

But The Norwegian Epic and that new MSC Seaside .. OMG ... who designed these messes ?!!!

I've never seen the MSC Seaside in real life, but I've seen the Epic. Wow, it looks like someone threw a box on top of the ship.

I don't think Oasis and Quantum were that bad. They at least still have curves instead of the box on a boat design of the Epic.

I read this article earlier. It felt like it was written with some miserable git with an axe to grind.

Sure the ships aren't as small and sleek as they used to be. But neither are our cars, our buildings, our TVs, our food - or even ourselves.

In the grand scheme of making ships bigger and bigger I happen to think the RCCL ones are the best of the bunch. Come on, they could look like the Norwegian *gag* Epic *gag* - or the MSC ships which just are are boxes.

The desire to make ships with even more passengers and more even balcony cabins has resulted in ships without symmetry and have a top heavy look. The larger the ship, the worse it seems to be.

I admit that I like the sleek look better, but I get that everything has compromises. There is a limit to how many decks that you can add without losing the sleek look. Passengers, including me, seem to be willing to give up the sleek look for a more affordable balcony cabin.

Seems to me like this guy is waxing nostalgic for the sleek ocean liners of yore while not considering that there IS a difference between "ocean liners" and "cruise ships". The former are built for speed and stability when crossing vast oceans while the latter are built to maximize passenger load and comfort. Cruise ships have always been less "sexy" than liners, it's just the nature of the beast. Heck watch reruns of Love Boat and you can see what I mean--put the Pacific Princess of the 80s next to the Queen Mary and it looks more like a container ship than a cruise liner.

And yes, Norwegian Epic should always be considered in a class labeled "Other" as it has no aesthetic that can be categorized LOL

I think the Royal Caribbean ship are quite attractive externally. In some ways they still look quite traditional just very big. In my opinion the ugly award would go to Norwegian Epic and Princess Grand Class. In terms of beauty I think it is hard to beat Queen Elizabeth 2 and Royal Clipper but I am biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

over the past few years I have read many posts from people on other ships(Carnival, Princess, NCL,etc.) go on and on when they are parked beside an Oasis class ship. Total amazement. Envious of the passengers on Oasis because of the size and appearance. I too like the look of the Oasis class(both inside and out)

The desire to make ships with even more passengers and more even balcony cabins has resulted in ships without symmetry and have a top heavy look. The larger the ship, the worse it seems to be.

I admit that I like the sleek look better, but I get that everything has compromises. There is a limit to how many decks that you can add without losing the sleek look. Passengers, including me, seem to be willing to give up the sleek look for a more affordable balcony cabin.

Think part the reason they are larger is more public spaces, larger passenger cabins. More square ft per passenger now then in past. Not as symmetrical as 30 yrs ago very few/small exterior cabins and not a single balcony cabin on Royal ships. Now most cabins are exterior and Balconies a high percentage. The ship is the destination...

Nothing in RCCL's fleet compares to Radiance Class...still the "prettiest" ships RCCL has...and our personal favorites.

I agree with you. I've said for years that the Radiance-class ships are gorgeous, and also the perfect (for me) size ship. We have enjoyed all 4 in that class, and hope to enjoy many more before RCI deems them completely obsolete😣

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Voyager Class ships? Norway? Royal Princess? Yet no mention of Carnival's Fantasy Class ships with added exterior balconies or the Princess shopping cart ships? No, I don't agree with a lot of those picks. There are much uglier out there.

I remember when the Norwegian Epic blueprints leaked online. There was some disbelief in the NCL forum that they were real. Sadly, they were. Members in the NCL forum compared the top forward section of Epic to a 'Waffle House'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely disagree with this article! I guess the old saying is correct...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also agree that I could care less about the outside looks...More concern about the inside...What there is to do...To see...To experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I remember when the Norwegian Epic blueprints leaked online. There was some disbelief in the NCL forum that they were real. Sadly, they were. Members in the NCL forum compared the top forward section of Epic to a 'Waffle House'.

Waffle House, Frankenstein, Geordi la Forge.....yeah, there were lots of metaphors. That's the only ship I truly agree with in this article.

Like!

Ok, but that pretty ocean liner can't maneuver with a damn. Needs a whole fleet of tugs to push her around.

As I recall Norway never docked in St Thomas. Always anchored in the harbour. So I guess all the folks reminiscing about pretty ships like to tender. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

She only had tugs as she was without power in that picture. It was after the boiler explosion. I enjoyed the view from the tender into St Thomas myself. Her deep draft would of come in handy during one those nasty storms off the east coast. No need to hate.