The differences between cruisers from different countries

Velvetwater

Both football codes???

I think there are few more than just two.

Absolutely. There's proper football (soccer to N. Americans), American football, Aussie rules football, Canadian football. And then there's rugby....

Absolutely. There's proper football (soccer to N. Americans), American football, Aussie rules football, Canadian football. And then there's rugby....

Two codes of Rugby of course and then Gaelic football, and International Rules football.

I think cruisers from different countries would argue over what is good pizza! :)

Oddly I have heard MSC's and Costa's isn't great but the Princess and Carnival's are and all 4 lines do Italian thin style I think which is the best...sorry deep pan lovers! The best pizza is fresh ingredients and from a hot stone oven where there is just as much bread as topping.

Carnival's Pizza is delicious to be fair.

If bacon doesn't crumble' date=' it isn't cooked enough. Ditto fries (or chips) - if I can eat then with a fork, they aren't crisp enough for my liking. Pizza is total hand food -- fold it and eat, especially when at a ball game or concert.

Having said that, when out and about I do use my utensils instead of my hands if it is at all practical.[/quote']

Pizza at a ball game?????? It would have to be so long out of the oven as to be comparable to next-morning pizza: yuck!

You can only do that with a crappy, soggy pizza base. Eat proper pizza in Italy and the base is thin and crispy, as it should be. It is possible to eat with your hands but not possible to fold.

That depends on which part of Italy you are in. Rome northwards tend to have crisper bases, but in Naples, where modern pizza was invented, the base is very soft with a very puffy edge and has to be folded to eat it.

Urgh No if you can fold Pizza with your hands it’s NOT Pizza!!

:loudcry:;p

Yes, it is. Pizza from authentic pizzeria in Naples is very soft and is eaten folded. If you ever go to Naples I highly recommend Da Michele pizzeria, which has been run by the same family since 1870.

Yes, it is. Pizza from authentic pizzeria in Naples is very soft and is eaten folded. If you ever go to Naples I highly recommend Da Michele pizzeria, which has been run by the same family since 1870.

Just because one form of something might have originated in one particular place, there is no reason to insist that it cannot, at least for some tastes, be improved elsewhere.

Consider authentic, traditional, coal fired New Haven apizza.

I am on team thin traditional pizza for sure. You get to taste lots of topping not just dough. We have been to Italy 4 times by land and sea and you could go to the cheapest, dirtiest pizza place and get a £1 pizza slice and it would taste better than pretty much every pizza you ever had.

Its the fresh dough, the fresh sauce made with 'those' tomatoes and the traditional mozzarella that is as creamy as anything. Bit of oil and a few toppings and wham...done.

I do enjoy deep pan too though and folding pizza is fine.

It took me a few cruises before I realised why people growl and tut in corridors. In the uk they drive on the left, in America the right so we also walk down the corridors the same way so we end up face to face. I just go round but the number of times I’ve found myself asking someone not to grump at me as they think I’ve got bad manners and explained this phenomenon to them to get a ‘oh yeah’ or I see or I didn’t realise that.

Talking about number and times, where I’m from a 4 digit cabin number would be said as 1 2 3 4 but some places say 12 34. Same with time I’m used to saying 1/4 to 12 and not 11:45.

I have found over the years an auto switch of use of words when I’m on a cruise and use the USA term for things such as elevator, bathroom or restroom and not lift or toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It took me a few cruises before I realised why people growl and tut in corridors. In the uk they drive on the left, in America the right so we also walk down the corridors the same way so we end up face to face. I just go round but the number of times I’ve found myself asking someone not to grump at me as they think I’ve got bad manners and explained this phenomenon to them to get a ‘oh yeah’ or I see or I didn’t realise that.

Talking about number and times, where I’m from a 4 digit cabin number would be said as 1 2 3 4 but some places say 12 34. Same with time I’m used to saying 1/4 to 12 and not 11:45.

I have found over the years an auto switch of use of words when I’m on a cruise and use the USA term for things such as elevator, bathroom or restroom and not lift or toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I cruise I say lift, and sometimes it stays on my tongue. Not a lot of Floridians say lift, so I get puzzled looks from people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just because one form of something might have originated in one particular place, there is no reason to insist that it cannot, at least for some tastes, be improved elsewhere.

Consider authentic, traditional, coal fired New Haven apizza.

I never insisted anything, I merely pointed out that pizza in Naples from traditional pizzeria has soft bases and therefore were genuine pizza, as the person I was replying to claimed that soft-based pizza wasn't pizza.

Unfortunately I doubt that I will have time to visit New Haven at the conclusion of our Panama Canal cruise later this year, which ends in New York. I would be interested in recommendations for good places in NY for pizza though.

I would be interested in recommendations for good places in NY for pizza though.

If you are downtown, you might try Lombardi's - 32 Spring Street in Little Italy. They have the essential coal fired oven - the higher temperature and virtually no moisture in the air gives the great crisp thin crust - ask for no mozzarella - and just a sprinkling of grated Romano cheese on top of the tomato sauce - :*joining perhaps some spinach and bacon toppings: it is great, and very close to good New Haven --- I have heard that the different water is the one missing factor.

I always SMH when I see someone eating pizza with a knife and fork. (no matter what the nationality)

You've never had real pizza then!!!! You can never eat good pizza with your hands. Either it's New York style with slices so big & thin, they'd fall all over the place if you picked them up. Or it's deep dish Chicago style, which is nearly the size of a cake & not solid enough to pick up when it's still hot!

If you are downtown, you might try Lombardi's - 32 Spring Street in Little Italy. They have the essential coal fired oven - the higher temperature and virtually no moisture in the air gives the great crisp thin crust - ask for no mozzarella - and just a sprinkling of grated Romano cheese on top of the tomato sauce - :*joining perhaps some spinach and bacon toppings: it is great, and very close to good New Haven --- I have heard that the different water is the one missing factor.

Thanks. I've added that to my list of things to do in NY.

The Neopolitans always reckon it's the water that makes their pizza so good. ;)

We have a almost-genuine Neopolitan pizzeria where I live. It's owned by a Neopolitan who learnt to make pizza from a very young age when he lived in Naples. The pizzeria is a member of the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. They use flour, buffalo mozzarella, fior de latte and tomato passata imported from Italy, the ovens are wood-fired, but the water is Sydney water. Their pizza is the nearest thing to genuine Neopolitan pizza that I've ever experienced, so maybe the water isn't so critical after all. :D

Although I have never figured out why in the UK, on escalators, they have signs that say to stand to the right, walk to the left????? :D

How about half -12? :D

I find myself doing the opposite, as many people speak more of a British English than an American English. But use WC for restroom/toilet, as that seems to work in more countries.

You've never had real pizza then!!!! You can never eat good pizza with your hands. Either it's New York style with slices so big & thin, they'd fall all over the place if you picked them up. Or it's deep dish Chicago style, which is nearly the size of a cake & not solid enough to pick up when it's still hot!

Don't you know how to fold a NY pizza slice?????

Oh, okay.....Do you see where I am from? I work in the city 3X week and have NEVER seen anyone eat pizza with a knife and fork. I guess the millions of people in the city have NO idea what pizza is. Geezzzzz

Although I have never figured out why in the UK, on escalators, they have signs that say to stand to the right, walk to the left????? :D

How about half -12? :D

I find myself doing the opposite, as many people speak more of a British English than an American English. But use WC for restroom/toilet, as that seems to work in more countries.

I have a tough time with Floor 0 and -1 on Elevators in Europe and 1st floor being on my 2nd floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, okay.....Do you see where I am from? I work in the city 3X week and have NEVER seen anyone eat pizza with a knife and fork. I guess the millions of people in the city have NO idea what pizza is. Geezzzzz

Whoa! Geez, take a breath. All you guys getting all up in arms over pizza, of all things. Please take another look at the title of this thread. And then take another breath and unclench.

How about a compromise? Take the "when in Rome" approach. Use your hands where that is the norm. Use your fork and knife where that is the norm.

Anyone who has spent much time in NYC will have seen the stand-up pizza eaters (probably at least 50%) at lunchtime with a folded slice in the right hand and a soda in the left - with no knife or fork in sight.

I think again of the Seinfeld episode where George ate his candy bar with a knife and fork -- maybe out-of-owners think that was a real portrayal of NYC lfe.

To get back to the original comment: The most fun we have ever had on a cruise was a Caribbean one where my husband ran into a business colleague from Brazil who was onboard with a number of Brazilians. Their group included us in their sea (and land) parties. We had a blast, at least what I can remember through a boozy haze.