New Dynamic Dining form on the Edge. Early & Late Failure

tapemann

I’d give them a chance before claiming it a failure. As people who always do Select, I think it’s great. I’m excited about the new dining options. If you’re a set time person and want to try a dish from the other dining rooms menu, you’ll have to be willing to adjust...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’d give them a chance before claiming it a failure. As people who always do Select, I think it’s great. I’m excited about the new dining options. If you’re a set time person and want to try a dish from the other dining rooms menu, you’ll have to be willing to adjust...

I'm a Late person. I shouldn't have to adjust. They should think of the Cust desire.

I get the feeling this is Celebrity’s way of trying to slowly ween people off of fixed dining by making them want to chose select to be able to try the different restaurants. I sense a little reverse psychology happening here.

I'm a Late person. I shouldn't have to adjust. They should think of the Cust desire.

Did you miss this ?

cruisers who select set dining do not have to stick to just one of the four main restaurants. Instead, they will be able to change their restaurant nightly if they'd like.

I just booked for March 3 2019, and my only option was 8:30. Supposedly select is a waitlist. So does that mean I can eat in all 4 restaurants whatever night I wish? I actually want to do the specialties more, but intrigued by the idea. Certainly keeps it from getting routine.

The concept proposed by Celebrity appears to resolve several issues with RCL's DD, but I think there is one inherent problem with any similar concept. Unless Celebrity can find a way to make all of the concepts equally popular, some of the restaurants will always draw larger crowds. The result will be longer wait times and possibly no availability in some of the dining rooms while other dining rooms are underutilized. It will be interesting to see how this works.

The new dining would work if they just offered 100% of the Menu items to ALL those that like early or Late seating instead of only 75%

Are you blind or just choosing to ignore posts? Several people have pointed out that even with set dining you can change restaurants yet you continue to rant.

Used to be much easier with only early and late dining. But once Specialty Dining grew popular, we often sat alone at our table..and were away ourselves a few nights. So that really needed to change.

Concept of 4 sep rooms seems promising...better if all go for Select.

We will be happy to have BLU...plus a few Specialty res for first EDGE cruise...only a week.

Maybe for a future cruise we'll take a Concierge room and try the multi dining concept.,,after any kinks are worked out.

Hope everyone gives it a chance

Rotational Dining, Disney does it or just rotate the Menu. Many like set times but don't want to miss out.

That might be a disaster as Disney does not have any Select Dining. Everyone is on Traditional Dining on Disney.

Edited by jagoffee

To quote the famous phrase from another thread, "Choice is good." Celebrity Edge has far more dining choices that any cruise ship to date. Many of us will relish that [pun intended ;)] Those who will only be satisfied with old-style set dining where you have one table/one waitstaff/one set of dining companions [which by the way you can't invite new friends to join]/and one comprehensive menu – sorry, Celebrity doesn't offer that any more. But there are other cruise lines that do. Choice is good. Make the choice that suits you.

Did you miss this ?

cruisers who select set dining do not have to stick to just one of the four main restaurants. Instead, they will be able to change their restaurant nightly if they'd like.

No I didn't miss. But the whole table of 8 or 10 would have to move. It would be easier to just change the menu each night. The thing is to stay with the othewr that I meet the whole cruise.

Are you blind or just choosing to ignore posts? Several people have pointed out that even with set dining you can change restaurants yet you continue to rant.

But you would have different people at the table. I want to stay with the new people for meals. This only works if you want to change table mates. Plus as someone else pointed out wait times happen or you get shut out of the one you want.

Used to be much easier with only early and late dining. But once Specialty Dining grew popular, we often sat alone at our table..and were away ourselves a few nights. So that really needed to change.

Concept of 4 sep rooms seems promising...better if all go for Select.

We will be happy to have BLU...plus a few Specialty res for first EDGE cruise...only a week.

Maybe for a future cruise we'll take a Concierge room and try the multi dining concept.,,after any kinks are worked out.

Hope everyone gives it a chance

If you like paying extra for meals you already bought.

To quote the famous phrase from another thread, "Choice is good." Celebrity Edge has far more dining choices that any cruise ship to date. Many of us will relish that [pun intended ;)] Those who will only be satisfied with old-style set dining where you have one table/one waitstaff/one set of dining companions [which by the way you can't invite new friends to join]/and one comprehensive menu – sorry, Celebrity doesn't offer that any more. But there are other cruise lines that do. Choice is good. Make the choice that suits you.

But other aspects of the ship are nice.

The menus for BLU seem very nice...tweaked a bit...but we do not mind paying for a few nights elsewhere. Menus for the steakhouse and Garden Grill look good to us to provide variety.

We could also just sit at the pool and Solarium but I pay extra for the spa as well !

No one has to pay extra...it's a choice.

In my opine, it is not 'paying extra for meals you already bought' as opposed to missing meals already included!

I frequently miss meals at home for which I already have paid for, vis-a-vis going grocery shopping or take out and not eating that food in a timely manner and having to toss it, yet on a ship, more likely than not, that food is saved and used for someone else...

I Am trying to change my wasteful habits and am winning by not purchasing as much food needlessly and not on a whim.

On ship, I can either eat in the MDR (included) or go Specialty (not included) on a whim!

bon voyage

Reading comprehension is the challenge, I believe. Rather be by posters or by X, once the idea is in head there, often times there is no turning back or understanding the fundamental process of how it will work even before implementation.

They could be correct, yet I choose to wait until I board to decide and use info from others experiences before me....

bon voyage

But you would have different people at the table. I want to stay with the new people for meals. This only works if you want to change table mates. Plus as someone else pointed out wait times happen or you get shut out of the one you want.

No, conceivably, this is NOT the only way it can happen, if someone at your table chooses to co-ordinate dining venues for each night, then you will/can stay together, provided everyone wants to continue to share a dining table...

The up-side is, if one or two do not want to share the dining 'experience' with others at that size table, they can get away with a plausible reason and with little guilt..

bon voyage

This will be my first X cruise in over 2 years......I hope I will be able to just go dine without having to make reservations on line months in advance.:eek:

I am booked for January.........guess I will just find out after I board because I really don't feel the need to stress over it.

Edited by Lois R

This will be my first X cruise in over 2 years......I hope I will be able to just go dine without having to make reservations on line months in advance.:eek:

I am booked for January.........guess I will just find out after I board because I really don't feel the need to stress over it.

I'm sure that you will be able to dine without making reservations, but you will likely encounter long waits at certain more popular venues. This seems to be a common thread with other cruise lines that multiple dining venues. Some new venues will not be popular and some will be very popular. The popular venues will likely be overcrowded and possibly not available on certain nights.

However since this is a new concept to Celebrity, it will likely be significantly different 2 years from now as they try to adjust to inherent problems with the concept.

Did you miss this ?

I hadn’t seen that, is that from Celebrity.

Tapemanns’ advice from X contradicts this-

“If you want early or late and same table and same waiter you submit early or late. We're will preassign your table and restaurant. The guest will get their assignment when they arrive just like today they get their table assignment when they arrive. If the guest doesn't like the restaurant we preassigned they can go change it at dining coor. That will be their place and table and waiter for the cruise. “

I can’t se now tradition diners that are assigned a table, table mates and waiters could feasibly decide move their fixed dining slot around other restaurants. Surely they would need to choose Select Plus to do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure that you will be able to dine without making reservations, but you will likely encounter long waits at certain more popular venues. This seems to be a common thread with other cruise lines that multiple dining venues. Some new venues will not be popular and some will be very popular. The popular venues will likely be overcrowded and possibly not available on certain nights.

However since this is a new concept to Celebrity, it will likely be significantly different 2 years from now as they try to adjust to inherent problems with the concept.

You are probably right and so I need to decide if I am even keeping my booking.........I don't want to wait on long lines

to eat dinner.