New Dynamic Dining form on the Edge. Early & Late Failure

tapemann

When was the last time you were in the traditional dining room on Celebrity? There's a reason they're making these changes. Many of those 8- and 10-top tables sit mostly empty these days. They need to figure out a better way to manage capacity in the dining rooms.

Very true.

When was the last time you were in the traditional dining room on Celebrity? There's a reason they're making these changes. Many of those 8- and 10-top tables sit mostly empty these days. They need to figure out a better way to manage capacity in the dining rooms.

The thought of having to join a shared table at a set time each evening is also something that is likely to be a deterrent to people considering cruising for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. So if I want the variety of restaurants I basically choose “my time” dining, ok, I’m with that so far.

I imagine no single dining room would be capable of sitting even 15% of guests, so 4 with multiple turns could still be troublesome

However, this is an attempt to spice up the MDR offering, and for that I applaud them. It will be nice to have some different themed venues without specialty pricing.

I would let someone else pay the premium to go first and work out the kinks for a year, but I’d like to try it as described in the advertising

Are you blind or just choosing to ignore posts? Several people have pointed out that even with set dining you can change restaurants yet you continue to rant.

Little hard there. He has a point. You never really have access to 100% of the offerings across the four restaurants.

Then again, with select, you never have access to 100% of the offerings either.

So it seems the gripe is that they walk in, fixed time, no messing around and in turn have 75% of the offerings, but that happens on both plans, any time, in all the restaurants. I think it is in his phrasing that makes it sound confused.

I still see it as a positive though; I have a selection of four different decors/theme menus at no additional charge.

I don't want a Two Top. I like the way Traditional is now. 8 or 10 top and meet new people for the duration of the Cruise.

There will probably be some of those, but seeing more of those is up to other people’s desires. Let’s face it, since the advent of select time dining schemes in the industry a whole new generation of cruisers, and their kids, have shown up and the two fixed time communal meal structure changed, just becoming one of many options

Little hard there. He has a point. You never really have access to 100% of the offerings across the four restaurants.

So it seems the gripe is that they walk in, fixed time, no messing around and in turn have 75% of the offerings, but that happens on both plans, any time, in all the restaurants. I think it is in his phrasing that makes it sound confused.

I still see it as a positive though; I have a selection of four different decors/theme menus at no additional charge.

A lot of his posts have been removed.

A lot of his posts have been removed.

Fair n uff.

But I think I got the gist of his problem. FOMO. Each dining venue gives him FOMO. He wants to get all the offerings in one place, no planning or explanation required. Which is not what this is. But if that’s his point that’s okay

You’re assuming that the specialty portions on the menus in each of the four MDRs change daily. There’s been no indication from X either way on this point. If the specialty portions of the four menus change weekly, for example, there would be ample time for either Traditional or Select dining pax to sample many of those specialty dishes in all four MDRs. Most people have definite preferences anyway. Some avoid fish. Some avoid beef. Some loathe legumes and some think greens are weeds. How many people really want to try every item on the specialty portions of the four MDRs’ menus?

Regardless, dining is different on the Edge. None of us can know how well it works for us until we try it. If X can pull it off, I agree that it’s a positive to have variety as well as smaller, and (potentially) less noisy dining rooms.

Hopefully this will be a good thing. It's always great to have choices.

One thing that was always great about cruising was not having to be concerned with where you were dining every night. The success of this concept will have a lot to do with the attitude of the passengers. I may be a bit pessimistic but if the behavior of many in the buffet area is any indication it could be a real food fight.;):eek::eek:

You’re assuming that the specialty portions on the menus in each of the four MDRs change daily. There’s been no indication from X either way on this point. If the specialty portions of the four menus change weekly, for example, there would be ample time for either Traditional or Select dining pax to sample many of those specialty dishes in all four MDRs. Most people have definite preferences anyway. Some avoid fish. Some avoid beef. Some loathe legumes and some think greens are weeds. How many people really want to try every item on the specialty portions of the four MDRs’ menus?

Regardless, dining is different on the Edge. None of us can know how well it works for us until we try it. If X can pull it off, I agree that it’s a positive to have variety as well as smaller, and (potentially) less noisy dining rooms.

I read it as the "themed" portion of the menu stays the same all nights in that restaurant (25% of menu). The 75% of the menu that matches in the 4 restaurants is the part of the menu that changes.

I don't see them rotating the "themed" part of each menu. They're trying to offer variety, but not so much complexity that you can't "have it all" in a 7 day cruise, so long as you are willing to vary your scenery.

The way I describe it to previous Celebrity Cruisers is that each of the four themed restaurants have their own "Classic" menu.

If you plan on eating one of the changing menu items, there is no reason to request a change to a different restaurant. But, if you look at one the daily menus, and see something you don't like, then you now have 4 different "classic" menus to choose from, fi that's worth the trouble of changing.

Don't forget a lot of this is marketing 'hype'. A few years ago when the 'Suite Class' was announced there were lots of detail of what was going to happen, in the event some were non events!

One that attracted us to book one was a suite lunch on port days, great for us as the ship is the destination, and we only usually spend the mornings ashore . Apparently this did not happen, although it did not effect us, as I had a health scare and had to cancel our booked cruise.

When we resumed cruising we went to for a Cunard suite, as they serve lunch on port days, and were surprised how many pax remain on board, or were on the ship for lunch.

Hopefully this will be a good thing. It's always great to have choices.

One thing that was always great about cruising was not having to be concerned with where you were dining every night. The success of this concept will have a lot to do with the attitude of the passengers. I may be a bit pessimistic but if the behavior of many in the buffet area is any indication it could be a real food fight.;):eek::eek:

That, food fight, I would want to see, then stand on our balcony to see a few dis-embark for good at the next port!

bon voyage

To quote the famous phrase from another thread, "Choice is good." Celebrity Edge has far more dining choices that any cruise ship to date. Many of us will relish that [pun intended ;)] Those who will only be satisfied with old-style set dining where you have one table/one waitstaff/one set of dining companions [which by the way you can't invite new friends to join]/and one comprehensive menu – sorry, Celebrity doesn't offer that any more. But there are other cruise lines that do. Choice is good. Make the choice that suits you.

Having too many choices can be a negative!

Here is what I got back from Celebrity

"thanks for reaching out! Here is the way we are handling this! If you want early or late and same table and same waiter you submit early or late. We're will preassign your table and restaurant. The guest will get their assignment when they arrive just like today they get their table assignment when they arrive. If the guest doesn't like the restaurant we preassigned they can go change it at dining coor. That will be their place and table and waiter for the cruise. If they want to do all four then they choose Celebrity Select plus and they pick the place and the time. Today for Celebrity select they just pick the time. So the guest gets the choice. All four restaurants will serve 75 percent the same things and the menu changes every night. 25 percent is just for that restaurant and stays the same!

Are you sure that response was from Celebrity????? (I have my doubts)

My take on this issue is it sounds like I need to have a Masters degree in Rube Goldberg Theory to figure out dinner choices...

Wow. All the negativity from something that hasn't even happen yet, or experienced yet. Menu choices are good for the soul. Eating at the same table, at the same time, with the same choices every night is boring. Did that with a group of folks in December on Oasis. Made me ill. Its the 21st Century folks. Enjoy it.

One of the major problems was a software development issue. There were multiple reports of numerous IT types working round the clock trying to resolve software issues. Most of the issues with DD can be traced to faulty software in the dining rooms. Hopefully, X has worked closely with RCL on "lessons learned"..

I hope it's the same IT people that do their web site. ;p

One of the major problems was a software development issue. There were multiple reports of numerous IT types working round the clock trying to resolve software issues. Most of the issues with DD can be traced to faulty software in the dining rooms. Hopefully, X has worked closely with RCL on "lessons learned".

A second issue was the very vocal contingent who adamantly opposed any change.

Perhaps that was RCL's face saving position, but it ignores basic problems.

1. One of the dining rooms was always formal. Given a choice, far less than 25% of the people would choose to dress formal for dinner.

2. People could not access 25% of the menu choices due to the dress code.

3. Given a choice far less than 25% of the people would choose Asian dining.

4. There were limited alternative menu choices other than the specialty of the restaurant. This created conflicts in many groups for dinner.

5. Due to the above issues, popular restaurants had long waits and limited availability.

I read it as the "themed" portion of the menu stays the same all nights in that restaurant (25% of menu). The 75% of the menu that matches in the 4 restaurants is the part of the menu that changes.

I don't see them rotating the "themed" part of each menu. They're trying to offer variety, but not so much complexity that you can't "have it all" in a 7 day cruise, so long as you are willing to vary your scenery.

I don’t see how you were able to infer this from the information X has made available, but if you’re right, people have even less reason to panic than I’d thought:). Personally, I’m not at all concerned, and never have been. I want to try all the new MDRs at least once, and I expect to have no trouble doing so.

I don’t see how you were able to infer this from the information X has made available, but if you’re right, people have even less reason to panic than I’d thought:). Personally, I’m not at all concerned, and never have been. I want to try all the new MDRs at least once, and I expect to have no trouble doing so.

Inference or not, you are quite correct about panicking, wait at least after the first 60 days of being in service.

The only trouble I anticipate in terms of dining is deciding between all of the available places with nine (9) others in tow.. I might be eating alone a lot! LOL

bon voyage

Inference or not, you are quite correct about panicking, wait at least after the first 60 days of being in service.

The only trouble I anticipate in terms of dining is deciding between all of the available places with nine (9) others in tow.. I might be eating alone a lot! LOL

bon voyage

I understand! We’re a group of six. Four of us wish to try the various MDRs together on several nights (the other couple dines in Luminae), and all six of us wish to dine together in specialty restaurants on three nights. We’re booked on a TA so we’ll have fun trying as many venues as possible;p;p. If I haven’t tried every restaurant and lounge open to me (all but Blu and the Suite venues) by the time I disembark, it won’t be because I didn’t try lol:').

I understand! We’re a group of six. Four of us wish to try the various MDRs together on several nights (the other couple dines in Luminae), and all six of us wish to dine together in specialty restaurants on three nights. We’re booked on a TA so we’ll have fun trying as many venues as possible;p;p. If I haven’t tried every restaurant and lounge open to me (all but Blu and the Suite venues) by the time I disembark, it won’t be because I didn’t try lol:').

Where there is a will, there is a way...never underestimate the power of three women...never!