Cruising End Of August?

The Canuks

Hello All,

We just got back from another amazing cruise, aboard the Carnival Conquest!

We had such a good time that we are exploring our options for our next cruise.

We usually save our cruise for the winter months.

At the end of the summer we have some time off, and are wondering if we should do a cruise in the last week of August from Baltimore down into the Caribbean?

I am concerned about the weather, specifically hurricanes at that time of year.

Can anyone either confirm or contradict my concerns?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You would surely be in the hurricane season, but this is my favorite time to cruise. Last week of August and first week of September have been some great cruises for us.

I'd say book the cruise and get some travel insurance. Have a great time.

Hi

Yes, it is definitely still hurricane season, but it is only hit or miss. Make sure you get appropriate insurance.

Without storms, the weather will still be hot and humid, nice to get to a beach.

Our last cruise was on the Pride and had a great time. It's so nice to be able to drive to the port and avoid airports.

By the way, just for your information...you are not actually into the Caribbean, you have to go a little further south for that. While Turks and Caicos would be considered Caribbean islands, they are in the Atlantic Ocean.

have a great cruise

Hello All,

We just got back from another amazing cruise, aboard the Carnival Conquest!

We had such a good time that we are exploring our options for our next cruise.

We usually save our cruise for the winter months.

At the end of the summer we have some time off, and are wondering if we should do a cruise in the last week of August from Baltimore down into the Caribbean?

I am concerned about the weather, specifically hurricanes at that time of year.

Can anyone either confirm or contradict my concerns?

Thanks

That is the peak of the hurricanes season.

Don't worry about hurricanes. I have sailed often in September and will sail end of August this year. The storms are very slow, and ships can alter itinerary if needed. You won't ever find yourself caught in one, on a cruise.

I would skip it. Peak is mid August though most of September. You can pull up the hurricane season historical tracking per month by just doing a google search.

Trip insurance is tricky when it comes to weather, it really depends on what type of insurance is purchased. Not everything is covered like you would think.

Even if your flight gets cancelled the cruise might still sail out. I cruised last October it was stressful leading up because hurricane season was so active. I would recommend you read the insurance policy before booking. To each their own but I personally would not chance it.

Maybe it will be a light year this year.

Last year the peak of hurricane season was September 10th. I remember it well because I was stuck in my hotel room at Disney World and missed two park days when Irma hit Orlando that night.

Edited by Tiger0613

Last year the peak of hurricane season was September 10th. I remember it well because I was stuck in my hotel room at Disney World and missed two park days when Irma hit Orlando that day.

I agree. September is peak every year. The weather starts getting bad mid August. But September is peak season historically.

You're in Toronto, catch a flight or drive down to NYC and go out on the Horizon, which leaves on Tuesday August 28 till Wednesday September 5. 8 days stopping in Grand Turk, San Juan and Amber Cove, with 2 sea days on both the front and back end to enjoy the newest and best that Carnival has to offer.

We have cruised a couple times during August and have never had any hurricane issues (just lucked out I guess) but go with the mind set that it could happen.

I will tell you what was even more worrisome and had an affect on what we did was the heat, it is brutal and will slow you down a bit. Even the Bahamas (which is not very south) was exhausting and limited our outings and beach time (too hot!!!). We like to walk everywhere and do our own thing in most ports so we were limited in the distance we went if walking. It was hot!!!!

Warm time of year to sail and chance of hurricane but as long as warmer weather is ok and chance itinerary will be totally different go for it.

We have sailed many times in September and a few times itinerary had to change but still had very nice time

Many of our 50+ cruises were taken during the month of August, and we never (knock on wood). experienced a cancellation, deviation, or even a skipped port on any of them. We cruised on the Magic last October and our Eastern Caribbean cruised was changed to Western because of hurricane damage. Go for it, but make sure you have the proper insurance. We get one of the Nationwide plans which offer reimbursement for missed ports or itinerary deviations. :cool:

We sailed 8 times in late August. One was in a hurricane. It was definitely rough sailing. Good news was the dining rooms were almost empty so we had lots of attention!

We did miss one port (Disney’s Castaway Cay) that was hit very hard and suffered quite a bit of damage. Nassau was hit hard too, but we’re open for business 2 days after.

If a hurricane is coming up the coast, you may end up sailing back up to Canada! I remember that happened to one cruise a few years ago that was supposed to be heading south from NY, and the people on board were ill-prepared for the colder weather they would be hitting going north! They bought out the gift shop on the ship of jackets, fleeces, sweatshirts, etc.!