Am I tipping too much?

ted1973

This 3% discussion makes no sence. 18% is the gratuity added to the charge. There is no credit card fee deducted from that. If any of that 18% is not distributed to the crew, heads will roll!

Really? I have no time for people who don't tip the recommended amount and stiff the crew, but neither do I for those who come on a public forum and show off how much extra they give. Which is what you are doing.

Phil

Exactly

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Likely, 3% of the 18% is going to the cruise line to cover the processing by costs of charging your card. That leaves 15% as the gratuity, I would probably question whether all of that actually makes it to the line staff. But, then again, I tend to be a skeptic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you are stretching here. I’ve worked tipped positions before, and there was no attempt to skim off the credit card processing fee if the tipper used a card to tip. Those costs are built into the product price. Not to mention that some people settle their accounts in cash so whatever accounting system they used would have to adjust for that.

Really? I have no time for people who don't tip the recommended amount and stiff the crew, but neither do I for those who come on a public forum and show off how much extra they give. Which is what you are doing.

Phil

It's called a humble brag, and I agree with you.

Interesting thread. I think everyone is different and I think that unfortunately there are people who I have seen adjust the auto tips down. So sad.

Anyway, we tip according to service given, but we do tend to lean towards the theory that a nice tip "up front" at start of the cruise will buy you a bit of good will during the cruise.

That being said in addition to the prepaid gratuities, we usually start by giving our cabin steward $20 or so. Then more as the cruise goes on depending on level of service. If friendly, good service, will probably end up with an additional $50 to $75 total.

Bartenders - we start with a nice tip for 2 drinks - maybe $10 - and if they are good during the cruise another few dollars here and there - maybe $5 per couple of drinks. Just really depends on level of service to be honest.

Same for the MDR and specialty restaurants - if service is good we tip more. $25 extra for specialty dining per time. MDR - the select dining has changed things as we don't always have the same wait staff. So if good - $5 to $10 per time. If not - hmmm.....

Sometimes will just give a few extra dollars to staff we see cleaning around the ship. They are so important and have the worst job.

Also like to give some additional to a manager if they have been especially helpful on the cruise.

Hi,

I have read this thread with interest and agree that tipping is a very personal experience.

I think that the op is tipping far too much. I have worked out that I will be paying around $500 on pre-paid gratuities and the 18% on the drinks packages. I’m sure there will be additional automatic charges during the course of the cruise eg Speciality restaurants.

Being from a culture where tips are a matter of course, I find it difficult to justify giving additional tips. However, I am prepare to give additional amounts where excellent service dictates.

Not everyone can afford to pay additional tips but I gave the sommelier a small tip at the end of our last cruise because of the service he provided in difficult situation - he was the only sommelier for Blu restaurant.

In general, I have found most crew members helpful without having to “bribe”. I know my brother will disagree as he like to give at tip up front.

Anyway each to their own when it comes to tipping.

Jim

Having worked in the service industry for years, any “additional” cash tips are appreciated. Here is how I view the pre paid gratuity. The cruise lines added the compulsory gratuity due to cultural differences. I always pay the compulsory gratuity.

I tip when someone provides exceptional service. I think a lot of people forget what TIPS stands for:

To

Insure

Prompt

Service

When service warrants, I tip. How much you tip is totally up to you.

Having worked in the service industry for years, any “additional” cash tips are appreciated. Here is how I view the pre paid gratuity. The cruise lines added the compulsory gratuity due to cultural differences. I always pay the compulsory gratuity.

I tip when someone provides exceptional service. I think a lot of people forget what TIPS stands for:

To

Insure

Prompt

Service

Rated: A+++

Thank you and bon voyage

To

Insure

Prompt

Service

No such thing as compulsory gratuity, a gratuity by definition is voluntary. Everyone needs to stop lying and ms representing Gratuities, if it is mandatory and require it is a service fee.....

I will keep removing them every single time and fight until the end to not let people steal money from me. Please post how wrong I am it only makes me more committed to never pay.

To

Insure

Prompt

Service

You insure your car, your house, your life, not service. The proper word would be ensure, not insure in this situation - so it would be called TEPS, not TIPS if that was what it stood for. The meaning of tips you posted is an old-wive's-tale. I do agree with the rest of your post though.

No such thing as compulsory gratuity, a gratuity by definition is voluntary. Everyone needs to stop lying and ms representing Gratuities, if it is mandatory and require it is a service fee.....

I will keep removing them every single time and fight until the end to not let people steal money from me. Please post how wrong I am it only makes me more committed to never pay.

No one is stealing money from you. It is you who is stealing money from hard working people by removing the gratuities/tips/whatever. That is their compensation. I hope it gives you great satisfaction to be "right" about your definition. And I'm sorry for the people who have the misfortune to have to serve you when you're on a cruise.

No one is stealing money from you. It is you who is stealing money from hard working people by removing the gratuities/tips/whatever. That is their compensation. I hope it gives you great satisfaction to be "right" about your definition. And I'm sorry for the people who have the misfortune to have to serve you when you're on a cruise.

I agree but celebrity should just include this in there fare and that goes for all the other lines also, if that was the case nothing could be removed

Bless your heart, I love a good tipper!

Seriously though, staff on cruise ships work a whole lot harder than I would ever want to. I’m sure they deserve everything you give them, and a whole lot more.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were recently on a cruise and were seated with complete strangers .One couple spent every dinner telling everyone else how wealthy they were.

On the last night we found out how they amassed their wealth.They NEVER give tips to anyone on cruises or anywhere else.

Doesn’t Celebrity actually refer to this as a “Daily Service Charge?” Or do they use the word “gratuity?”

Far be it from me to assert there's anything approaching consistency on X's website, but it shows Gratuities (we pre paid) on our reservation details.

Well said!

Hi! We are going on our 6th Celebrity cruise this Sunday (4/1-8/18 Celebrity Silhouette) and I can never remember exactly how much I tipped, but I do have a general idea. Now I am perplexed and wondering if I am over extra tipping! Here's what I tip for a family of 4 on a 7 night cruise:

Waiter / Steward $140 - 150

Ass't Waiter / Steward $100 - 125

Sommelier $80

Bar Runner $60

Favorite Bartenders $50 - 60

Thanks for your feedback!

In our experience of 30+ cruises with and without family, the additional tips (beyond the daily service charges and drink gratuities) listed above don't seem excessive to me for a family of 4 on a 7 night cruise. And certainly not excessive if excellent service has been received.

Enjoy your cruise!

I wonder how many pax actually remove the gratuities???

And I wonder why Celebrity allows this practice????

The reason gratuities are not mandated likely has to do with legal implications.

At least in the US' date=' if a restaurant makes a gratuity obligatory, it is actually subject to being taxed. I am not certain of the laws/rules impacting Celebrity, but it is possible if they made the gratuity mandatory, they would have to declare that money as income and therefore be taxed on it (and possibly pay commission on that portion of the fare and/or other fees). For every $10 in gratuities, there may be $3 (or what not) in taxes/fees if removing gratuities was not allowed.

Also, Celebrity likes to have their fares appear competitive; if the gratuity was compulsory, they may also have to include it when advertising the cruise fare (at least in some markets), and therefore they would [i']appear[/i] to be more expensive than the competition.

That said, as customers the onus is on us to realize that nearly all of the hard working staff's income (referencing staff that is part of the tip-pool) comes from these tips. Not tipping at least the recommended daily amount suggested by Celebrity is absolutely despicable behavior (aside from the extraordinarily rare occasion where one receives poor service, addresses this with appropriate supervising staff/officers, and the poor service continues) - not paying the gratuity essentially turns the hard working staff into one's unpaid servants.

The reason gratuities are not mandated likely has to do with legal implications.

At least in the US, if a restaurant makes a gratuity obligatory, it is actually subject to being taxed. I am not certain of the laws/rules impacting Celebrity, but it is possible if they made the gratuity mandatory, they would have to declare that money as income and therefore be taxed on it (and possibly pay commission on that portion of the fare and/or other fees). For every $10 in gratuities, there may be $3 (or what not) in taxes/fees if removing gratuities was not allowed.

Also, Celebrity likes to have their fares appear competitive; if the gratuity was compulsory, they may also have to include it when advertising the cruise fare (at least in some markets), and therefore they would appear to be more expensive than the competition.

That said, as customers the onus is on us to realize that nearly all of the hard working staff's income (referencing staff that is part of the tip-pool) comes from these tips. Not tipping at least the recommended daily amount suggested by Celebrity is absolutely despicable behavior (aside from the extraordinarily rare occasion where one receives poor service, addresses this with appropriate supervising staff/officers, and the poor service continues) - not paying the gratuity essentially turns the hard working staff into one's unpaid servants.

1) are you telling me that in the US, a waiter or waitress does not have to declare their tips?

2) If the cruiseline did not allow removal of daily tip, why would there be legal repercussions? On the website before the end of the booking procedure, there is an amount for gratuities, which one can pay up front or later.

I don't know (or want to know) who removes their tips, but calling names (eg despicable) is in itself despicable in my opinion,

I can't understand why so many on cruise critic are so concerned with who tips what. Perhaps that is because you once worked for tips?? But that is no reason for the vitriol displayed here.

We shouldn't be so quick to judge others.

1) are you telling me that in the US' date=' a waiter or waitress does not have to declare their tips?

2) If the cruiseline did not allow removal of daily tip, why would there be legal repercussions? On the website before the end of the booking procedure, there is an amount for gratuities, which one can pay up front or later.

I don't know (or want to know) who removes their tips, but calling names (eg despicable) is in itself despicable in my opinion,

I can't understand why so many on cruise critic are so concerned with who tips what. Perhaps that is because you once worked for tips?? But that is no reason for the vitriol displayed here.

We shouldn't be so quick to judge others.[/quote']

Yes, all restaurant tips in the US are 'supposed' to be reported & taxed. But when a wait person receives a cash tip ... it's an 'invisible' tip. Hence, I ALWAYS tip restaurant wait staff in cash.

Yes
My husband and I are guilty of over tipping as well. We are going to restrain and save on our Sept. Med cruise. Below are our tipping guidelines for a 14 day cruise in addition to the prepaid gratuities.

Suite butler on the first day and the night before we depart. $40.00 and on departure $30.00 ($70.00)

Our Waiter in Luminae $20.00 on first night, middle night and final night. ($60.00)

Wine sommelier in Luminae $20.00 first night, $20.00 mid-week and $10.00 final night. ($50.00)

2 Favorite bartenders $20.00 each ($40.00)

Kimberly

Well hold on

We recently did a X cruise With all pre paid gratitudes

And at the end I still give all of them extra $ tip/ whatever.....

But I felt. Some of then did not deserved any xtra $. What I’m trying to say NO they did not steal my money

But Yes I felt I was throwing /wasting my money.

Well hold on

We recently did a X cruise With all pre paid gratitudes

And at the end I still give all of them extra $ tip/ whatever.....

But I felt. Some of then did not deserved any xtra $. What I’m trying to say NO they did not steal my money

But Yes I felt I was throwing /wasting my money.

Not sure why you are quoting that poster. She was responding to someone who was quite proud of stiffing every single one of his servers on his cruises. Not just EXTRA tips. This impressive specimen of humanity removed all gratuities. His stewards, servers, etc received nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch. And NOT because of sub par service.

If you feel that your service has been below standard, then going to Guest Services, lodging a complaint , and reducing or removing the gratuity for the offending server could be appropriate. But doing so for everyone, without cause, is just wrong.