Please explain the math on this buy one get one 50% deluxe beverage package.

I am hoping that someone can help me understand this. Normally when I have been looking at the deluxe package it is $48.00 per person per day. When I pull up the buy one get one 50% off, it is listed as $45.00 per person per day. How is that 50% off?

If one person is $48.00 per day, it would be $336.00 plus 18% equals 396.48. So wouldn't the second person be $198.24 making the total $594.72? When I put it in my cart my total is $743.40.

Does someone out there understand this? Am I not reading this correctly?

I am hoping that someone can help me understand this. Normally when I have been looking at the deluxe package it is $48.00 per person per day. When I pull up the buy one get one 50% off, it is listed as $45.00 per person per day. How is that 50% off?

If one person is $48.00 per day, it would be $336.00 plus 18% equals 396.48. So wouldn't the second person be $198.24 making the total $594.72? When I put it in my cart my total is $743.40.

Voodoo math. $48 is not the on-board price from which they calculate the discount. In fact you would never know the actual on-board pricing unless you were actually on-board. No matter what special they run, the best price on-line is almost always going to be in the $45 - $48 range.

I'm guessing the $48.00 per day price is a sale price and they are using the "regular" price to calculate the 50% off 2nd package price. Unfortunately, this is very typical of Royal's promotional pricing strategy of late. Creating the illusion of a sale when there really isn't one.

The way the price is figured is like this: The full price is $60 plus gratuities per day per person. The $48 price you are seeing is a sale price and, at least on my planner, it states that it is 20% off.

If you pay for one at $60 per day and one at $30 per day (50%off) you end up paying $90 total for 2 people per day. If you divide that by the 2 people, you end up with the $45 per day per person.

That also is the same amount if the price were to show as 25% off per person. Keep in mind that normally when the price is shown, it already includes a discount and I have never seen the package shown at full price unless it was when onboard the ship.

All this is creative advertising and even though it appears to be misleading, it isn't. I think most people don't look at the percentage off when they see a price and assume that they can get 50% off the $48 as an example. It is easy to do so and feel that it's false advertising.

I'm guessing the $48.00 per day price is a sale price and they are using the "regular" price to calculate the 50% off 2nd package price. Unfortunately, this is very typical of Royal's promotional pricing strategy of late. Creating the illusion of a sale when there really isn't one.

Here is a spreadsheet to see if it is worth it. Just change the package cost to what you would be paying and put the amounts of what drinks you would typically get in a day on the ship.

Beverage Program Calculation.xls

The $48 a day price is listed in the planner as being a 20% discount, the buy one get one half off is a 25% discount per person.

So the full price would be $60 per day if $48 is a 20% discount. Taking 60 for 1 passenger and 30 on the 2nd at half off - comes to $90, which half of that is $45. Hence the $3 savings per person per day.

As for me if I can get a decent Sidecar at a bar, I can drink my days worth easily with just those. 3 of them come to $46.02 per the spreadsheet, and I have been know to order 5-6 in a day. Not counting anything else I might want. Now just hoping I find a good bartender on the Allure that can make them.

Thanks for that explanation! We haven’t cruised on RC for some time. Can you tell me if there’s a limit (time or number) of drinks per day on either the deluxe drink package or the soda package? We’re trying to figure if it’s worth it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that explanation! We haven’t cruised on RC for some time. Can you tell me if there’s a limit (time or number) of drinks per day on either the deluxe drink package or the soda package? We’re trying to figure if it’s worth it. Thanks!

There is no real limit on either, however they can cut you off if you appear to be sharing (ordering b2b drinks over and over and over), or if you are deemed way to drunk, however both of those seem to be extreme cases, and have not been show to happen very much.

As far as I am aware Carnival has been the only line to limit the quantity.

For us the $45 a day really was a no brainer and I definitely drink my money's worth for that amount.

yea, it is a no brainer for me as well. I have been known to kill well over a 12 pack in a day when on vacation. Plus I drink a few cups of coffee in the morning, a few coke zeros (or some kind of diet soda) and maybe a fruity or frozen cocktail or two.

Also our cruise is going to Labadee and drink package covers drinks there.

Also the package includes fresh squeezed orange juice and bottled water. It's very easy to spend $45 per day :

2 bottles of water @ $4 ea = $8.00

3 Martinis/frozen @ $11 ea = $33.00

1 fresh OJ @ $4 = $4

Right here is $45 and it isn't that much...if you like specialty coffees their included as well.

A big factor in my decision is how many sea days/private island days as well. If it's a port intensive cruise it can be a bit harder but not to terribly much ;)

It starts out as highest fleet wide price of $62.00 per person. That puts the bogo at 50% off at $93.00 which is $46.50 pp pd. Don't let them know your paying $1.50 less per day or they might re bill you.

You all need to stop looking at what the pricing is called or what the wording is.

Just look at the price. If you like it, purchase. If you don't, don't.

If the price decreases, cancel and rebook.

Stop getting your panties in a wad over perceived deception by RC.

You all need to stop looking at what the pricing is called or what the wording is.

Just look at the price. If you like it, purchase. If you don't, don't.

If the price decreases, cancel and rebook.

Stop getting your panties in a wad over perceived deception by RC.

This quote should be used to end at least a few threads a week.

This quote should be used to end at least a few threads a week.

I agree. There will always be someone who gets a better deal. If you are satisfied with the price, go ahead and book. Why spend hours researching or agonizing over it? If a few dollars (or hundred) makes that big of a difference, maybe it’s not wise to be going on a cruise at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Part of our group who booked later were not originally confirmed in My Family Time Dining though were on waiting list and TA kept after them. The original part of our group (all our reservations are now linked together) are D+ and may have even been given some credit when the rest of us joined in. They were later confirmed to be placed in My Family Time Dining though they would have always been eating with us anyway. They were told that the worst that could happen is they would have to bring kids to the kids program during dinner rather than staff picking them up with the other kids. Keep at it. Wish you luck. RCCL phone staff is really overloaded right now but even before recent issues were not very knowledgable.

Part of our group who booked later were not originally confirmed in My Family Time Dining though were on waiting list and TA kept after them. The original part of our group (all our reservations are now linked together) are D+ and may have even been given some credit when the rest of us joined in. They were later confirmed to be placed in My Family Time Dining though they would have always been eating with us anyway. They were told that the worst that could happen is they would have to bring kids to the kids program during dinner rather than staff picking them up with the other kids. Keep at it. Wish you luck. RCCL phone staff is really overloaded right now but even before recent issues were not very knowledgable.

I think that you are in the wrong thread.

Can you tell me if there’s a limit (time or number) of drinks per day on either the deluxe drink package or the soda package? We’re trying to figure if it’s worth it. Thanks!

Technically, there is a limit if you read the fine print. The limit is on the price of the drink, up to $12. If you are wanting a drink over $12, you just have to pay the difference.

We bought the package at 20% off figuring it was worth it considering the only day we would not be using it fully is the day we stop in St. Martin. Our stop in San Juan ends at 1:30 pm and our only other stop is Labadee. :champagne-toast::beer-toast::beer-mug:

The way the price is figured is like this: The full price is $60 plus gratuities per day per person. The $48 price you are seeing is a sale price and, at least on my planner, it states that it is 20% off.

If you pay for one at $60 per day and one at $30 per day (50%off) you end up paying $90 total for 2 people per day. If you divide that by the 2 people, you end up with the $45 per day per person.

That also is the same amount if the price were to show as 25% off per person. Keep in mind that normally when the price is shown, it already includes a discount and I have never seen the package shown at full price unless it was when onboard the ship.

All this is creative advertising and even though it appears to be misleading, it isn't. I think most people don't look at the percentage off when they see a price and assume that they can get 50% off the $48 as an example. It is easy to do so and feel that it's false advertising.

You are 100% correct... This question is brought up on here every couple weeks.

As usual, Merion_Mom nailed it. If you like the price buy it, if not do not buy it. Every offer, any cruise line, puts out there is intended to attract revenue. Not lowered revenues, but the revenue needed to reach a specific per sailing revenue goal.