Canapes...who likes them?

rxlowry

Just back from our 18th NCL cruise and we had the canapés delivered to the cabin.(I think from attending the meet and greet on this cruise) I'm not a picky eater and have tried them all through the years. This last cruise, we didn't touch them. While pretty to look at, they just aren't good in my opinion. Plus, they are usually warm which worries me.... So who gets excited to chow down on these bad boys when you see them or do they usually get wasted like ours?

We have encountered them at past guest parties, Haven parties and in the snack rotation in the Haven. Never liked em. They always seem stale and just not good tasting...almost like someone knows they have to feed us something, so lets just throw this stuff together.

They always seem stale and just not good tasting...

Totally agree - it’s like they wait until a loaf of bread is just about to mold before they make canapes out of it. Remember when they had chicken satay and the non-bread based food items at those parties?

Love them. In a high end restaurant as an amuse bouche. On cruise ships, usually no. Unless of course I’ve been drinking and I’m starving. But if that’s the case, I also ate a street taco once in Tijuana that tasted pretty good to me, so......

I tell the butler don't deliver the canapes. They are terrible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

TOTALLY agree! And they are SO predictable.....does no one ever see the amount of them that goes back totally untouched? A real waste......and we also tell the butler to NOT bring these again! (the ones that are there on embarkation day are inevitable!)

We've been on enough NCL cruises that we know the standard snacks. that rotate through the schedule. The ones we don't like are the little round pieces of bread with a little shrimp or something on top. The BLT's are OK if they are fresh. The little custard tarts are OK. The chocolate truffles are fine. The cheese and crackers and cut up fruit remind me of what you can get in the buffet except the cheeses are a little fancier. The cookies are OK. In other words the only ones we really don't like are those little round things.

On NCL, we tell our Butler at the start what types of snacks we prefer, and it works perfectly.

We also briefly mention things we do *not* prefer (most sweets other than dark chocolate).

When we first meet our Butler, we hand him (it's always been a "him" thus far) a short typed note introducing ourselves. As we hand it to him, we tell him that this is to help him know a bit about us, and to read it later, as we know this first [afternoon/evening] is always busy, and there are lots of other passengers for him to meet.

Each time, the next time he arrives, he's got the letter in hand, thanks us for it, and asks if he could ask us a few additional questions - which is, of course, fine.

At that point, we re-emphasize two allergy situations, and also remind him that we don't want to waste food that we won't eat.

Thus, the snacks that arrive are almost always just what we enjoy.

The problem, however, starts because we "eat it all".

So... the next day, there is *more*.

Rinse and repeat, and soon it seems we've got a serving platter of goodies we love... (oink!)

Sometimes we actually need to ask that "less" be served, given our apparent lack of self control.

We also have breakfast served most mornings, and several times have dinners served en suite.

Yes, we tip generously and happily.

One of the two best Butlers we've ever had was on NCL: Maxi, and how we miss him!

GC

We don't like them, but we can tolerate the ones with the shrimp and the brie or other cheese.

Funny story -- on our recent Escape cruise they were part of the first day's snack. Our friend who cruises with us caught up with the butler and told him that if he brings them again to only bring the ones that have shrimp or cheese. With the language barrier, 20 minutes later he knocks on our door and drops off a bunch of gigantic shrimp from the Haven restaurant and wedges of brie. Of course, this is less than an hour before our dinner reservations in Bayamo.

So we had a pre-dinner snack and then put the rest in the refrigerator so that it wouldn't go to waste.