Celebrity MoveUp

CruisingChick

27 minutes ago, kingcole said:

Any context as to why not? I was of the understanding that retreat rooms come with the benefits that I paid separately for on the current room. 

You basic only get the cabin , Butler and restaurant check out

the FQA section

https://www.celebritycruises.com/int/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade

On 5/2/2023 at 2:55 PM, jelayne said:

From what others have posted and the Move Up offers we have received the minimum bid depends on what you originally paid, it isn’t the same minimum bid amount for everyone on a particular sailing to move from day Aqua to a Sky Suite.  

I realized this after I paid more for my suite guarantee and was sent an entirely new set of lower prices for MoveUp.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:55 PM, jelayne said:

From what others have posted and the Move Up offers we have received the minimum bid depends on what you originally paid, it isn’t the same minimum bid amount for everyone on a particular sailing to move from day Aqua to a Sky Suite.  

On 5/3/2023 at 5:06 AM, jagoffee said:

Interesting analysis.

I would not think what you paid for your cabin would be a factor, but how much Celebrity could get for your vacated cabin.

I have studied the different bids close enough to know for sure.  

I believe the way it works is the price paid per stateroom doesn’t matter but what does matter is the room type you booked.  So someone going from an inside to AQ would have a much higher minimum bid than someone going from a CC to AQ

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kingcole said:

Any context as to why not? I was of the understanding that retreat rooms come with the benefits that I paid separately for on the current room. 

They only do on full rates. They can also be sold on a reduced rate, in which case the extras don't apply. Which is essentially what happens here. 

i.e. if you had originally bought a Concierge without the extras, if you got the bid upgrade you would not get internet included. So it's only because you already bought those extras you will have them if you upgrade.

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

They only do on full rates. They can also be sold on a reduced rate, in which case the extras don't apply. Which is essentially what happens here. 

i.e. if you had originally bought a Concierge without the extras, if you got the bid upgrade you would not get internet included. So it's only because you already bought those extras you will have them if you upgrade.

100%

Celebrity needs to do better thoroughly explaining what the perks are and what the amenities are

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I believe the way it works is the price paid per stateroom doesn’t matter but what does matter is the room type you booked.  So someone going from an inside to AQ would have a much higher minimum bid than someone going from a CC to AQ

I think so too. 

I find it hard to believe that a Celebrity would give a 3rd party (running the Move Up program) the details on what a passenger has paid. 

They (obviously) would give details on what cabin a passenger has booked. 

On 5/2/2023 at 10:06 PM, jagoffee said:

Interesting analysis.

I would not think what you paid for your cabin would be a factor, but how much Celebrity could get for your vacated cabin.

I have studied the different bids close enough to know for sure.  

I meant to type- “ I have not studied the different bids close enough to know for sure.  Sorry.

I am in the cabin that the booked category is a factor, but not the price paid for the particular category.

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yes, but at the end of the day would they not accept the highest bid regardless of what your minimum bid is? I also wonder does captain club status have anything to do with who is awarded the upgrade? I would love to know how the analytics works for this move up program.

39 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Yes, but at the end of the day would they not accept the highest bid regardless of what your minimum bid is? I also wonder does captain club status have anything to do with who is awarded the upgrade? I would love to know how the analytics works for this move up program.

They'll accept bids that net them the highest profit, which doesn't necessarily highest bid for a particular room.  For example, if someone in a regular veranda bids $500 for a sky suite and a person in an Aqua room bids $300 for the same sky suite, they might give the room to the Aqua bidder at $300 IF there's another person in a different stateroom bid $300 for an Aqua room since they'll net $600 vs. $500 if they gave it to the highest bidder.

In regards to the Captain's Club status, I believe there's a percentage added that gets tacked onto your bid based on your status which helps your chances of winning the bid, slightly.  I think 1% starting at Classic up to 5% at Zenith.  Not sure whether this is still happening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

They'll accept bids that net them the highest profit, which doesn't necessarily highest bid for a particular room.  For example, if someone in a regular veranda bids $500 for a sky suite and a person in an Aqua room bids $300 for the same sky suite, they might give the room to the Aqua bidder at $300 IF there's another person in a different stateroom bid $300 for an Aqua room since they'll net $600 vs. $500 if they gave it to the highest bidder.

In regards to the Captain's Club status, I believe there's a percentage added that gets tacked onto your bid based on your status which helps your chances of winning the bid, slightly.  I think 1% starting at Classic up to 5% at Zenith.  Not sure whether this is still happening.

Yes that makes sense. 
I have a cruise booked on the Apex next month in an aqua class infinite veranda cabin. It’s a complimentary cruise through Blue Chip Club. There are currently lots (20-30) of Aqua class infinite veranda cabins available.

I have the option through move up to bid on sky suite (Aqua Sky Suite 4 left, Sky Suite 3 left and magic carpet sky suite 20 left). I was thinking of bidding but since there are so many Aqua Class infinite veranda cabins left how does that affect my chances of succeeding with the move up? Also, how does the Blue Chip booking affect this move up since the cruise is complimentary?

3 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Yes that makes sense. 
I have a cruise booked on the Apex next month in an aqua class infinite veranda cabin. It’s a complimentary cruise through Blue Chip Club. There are currently lots (20-30) of Aqua class infinite veranda cabins available.

I have the option through move up to bid on sky suite (Aqua Sky Suite 4 left, Sky Suite 3 left and magic carpet sky suite 20 left). I was thinking of bidding but since there are so many Aqua Class infinite veranda cabins left how does that affect my chances of succeeding with the move up? Also, how does the Blue Chip booking affect this move up since the cruise is complimentary?

Like others have said, the price you paid for your room has no bearing on your chances of winning the move up or the minimum bid amounts.  Therefore, getting the room for free from BCC doesn't affect anything.  Your point on there being a decent amount of rooms in your current category available does make a difference.  However, the lower category you are in, the higher the minimum bids are set to and the less number of people are willing to even place a bid on the suite rooms.  In concierge or veranda staterooms, it might be as much as $2000 minimum per person to bid on a sky suite, while in an aqua room it might be somewhere around $1000 per person.

With all this said, it still boils down to how much you are willing pay for an upgrade.  A lot of factors go into this like whether or not you have a beverage package since all drinks in the retreat lounge are complimentary regardless of whether you have a package or not.  Another thing to consider is how much would a direct upgrade cost you (in your case it would be full price since you paid nothing for your current room).

2 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Like others have said, the price you paid for your room has no bearing on your chances of winning the move up or the minimum bid amounts.  Therefore, getting the room for free from BCC doesn't affect anything.  Your point on there being a decent amount of rooms in your current category available does make a difference.  However, the lower category you are in, the higher the minimum bids are set to and the less number of people are willing to even place a bid on the suite rooms.  In concierge or veranda staterooms, it might be as much as $2000 minimum per person to bid on a sky suite, while in an aqua room it might be somewhere around $1000 per person.

With all this said, it still boils down to how much you are willing pay for an upgrade.  A lot of factors go into this like whether or not you have a beverage package since all drinks in the retreat lounge are complimentary regardless of whether you have a package or not.  Another thing to consider is how much would a direct upgrade cost you (in your case it would be full price since you paid nothing for your current room).

If two people are in Aqua cabin could they have very different costs to move up?  Say one paid $9000 and the other $10000?

I paid the minimum bid for mine but I wonder if I paid too much.  I do go by the idea that it’s not too much if I enjoy it.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

If two people are in Aqua cabin could they have very different costs to move up?  Say one paid $9000 and the other $10000?

I paid the minimum bid for mine but I wonder if I paid too much.  I do go by the idea that it’s not too much if I enjoy it.

The minimum bids should be the same within each category regardless of the price paid.

9 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

To add, this is exactly why companies like X use a 3rd party bidding service to handle the complex algorithms to extract the highest revenues

• Like 1

I do occasionally bid.  However, I have also found that if you book the higher category yourself, prior to the move up bids, you sometimes get a better deal.  It also includes the higher level perks and additional cruise points.  We just upgraded our January cruise from a balcony to a sky suite and the price, including the perks worked out fine.  We also cancelled the perks we paid additional for with the lower category cabin.  Hence a refund.  In addition, we got a nicer on board credit.  So if you truly want an upgrade, consider doing it yourself in advance.

• Like 1

We are planning to book Aqua class and we’re wondering if we would keep Aqua benefits if we move up to Sky Suite or higher? Or would we need to try for Aqua Suite? I see that paid for perks transfer but didn’t know if that was true for this situation. 
Thanks for your help! Such great info!

Many apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered so far. 

I’ve received a Move Up email for a forthcoming cruise including the ability to bid for a Sunset Sky Suite. However, I have attempted to do a quick dummy booking to see what potential cabin I could be offered but none are showing as available. Is it likely that Celebrity are holding rooms back for the Move Up programme? We already have a Sunset Veranda room (for the first time) and would only be interested in another Sunset type room. I’m worried that Celebrity could take the money and offer a room in another location. Is that likely?

Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Our Cruise departs mid June, We have a few bids on the move up program. Any idea when you are notified your move up is successful?

Any time up to day of boarding. We got our notification two days out.

• Like 1