What will RCCL charge for next?

Out of sheer curiosity, because I have a feeling this is a life I may never live...what kind of cruise costs $25,000 for ONE room?

Actually, Royal Caribbean has an "ultimate family suite" on Symphony of the Seas that costs $65K - $80K for a week, depending on the time of year, and it is allegedly sold out through 2019. (But there is only ONE) :eek:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/first-look-ultimate-family-suite-on-board-symphony-of-the-seas/

Laugh it off, but there was a time you could fly to your domestic destination with 2 pieces of free checked luggage and, of course, that's history. Then those same fees were applied to international flights as well. So don't be too surprised to see this charge sometime in the future....

I think Southwest still includes 2 bags.

Remember cruising when you paid your fare and taxes and gratuities and that was IT? Now cruise lines, especially RCCL, are charging for basically everything- better food, room service, fancy coffee, yoga classes. My question is: What will they charge for next? How far does their nickel and diming go? Here’s my guesses:

Theater and show tickets

All food and drink (except tap water)

Flowrider, zipline, rock climbing wall, carousel

Public bathrooms

Hot tubs

Meet ups with dreamworks characters

Kids programs

Gym usage

What do you think? Where’s your line in the proverbial sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ha ha ha! This is not new, news. Just how long did it take for the cruise industry to catch up with the airline industry? Example: in-flight cutback perks (pay today)/onboard cutback options (pay or choose not to do it). The choice is simple. Understand what you are buying.

Sent from my SH-05G using Forums mobile app

How about just adding it to the fare and be done with the nonsense.

It can be done. RCI cruises that leave from Australian ports are like this. Aussies don't do tipping, our culture is the price you see is the price you pay. None of this plus taxes or daily gratuitous or 18% added on to the drinks bill.

So our fares are upfront higher, as the cost is included and not hidden away and added on later.

Personal it's a great way of doing it! Less bill shock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Actually, Royal Caribbean has an "ultimate family suite" on Symphony of the Seas that costs $65K - $80K for a week, depending on the time of year, and it is allegedly sold out through 2019. (But there is only ONE) :eek:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/first-look-ultimate-family-suite-on-board-symphony-of-the-seas/

If I was that rich, I think I could do something better with $80k than go on an RC ship. That’s more money than most households make in an entire year. I’d at least go for a luxury cruiseline or something. Not RC where people wear shorts and tank tops to dinner.

To each their own.

It can be done. RCI cruises that leave from Australian ports are like this. Aussies don't do tipping, our culture is the price you see is the price you pay. None of this plus taxes or daily gratuitous or 18% added on to the drinks bill.

So our fares are upfront higher, as the cost is included and not hidden away and added on later.

Personal it's a great way of doing it! Less bill shock.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

I knew there was a reason I wanted to sail down under!!!

mac_tlc

I knew there was a reason I wanted to sail down under!!!

Come on down, everyone is welcome!!!

But really, its all the same 'price' at the end of the day, its just sliced and diced differently between the countries.

In the US = Pay RCI $90/day + taxes, get on board and then pay daily gratuitous etc = might be say a total of $130USD/day

Here in OZ = RCI charges $130/day up front, job done!

Come on down, everyone is welcome!!!

But really, its all the same 'price' at the end of the day, its just sliced and diced differently between the countries.

In the US = Pay RCI $90/day + taxes, get on board and then pay daily gratuitous etc = might be say a total of $130USD/day

Here in OZ = RCI charges $130/day up front, job done!

It's definitely high up on the bucket list. The flights are scary-long from CT (we would most likely leave from New York). No way my wife is flying coach for that long -- and business class can be the price of a small car. :o

mac_tlc

It's definitely high up on the bucket list. The flights are scary-long from CT (we would most likely leave from New York). No way my wife is flying coach for that long -- and business class can be the price of a small car. :o

Yeah its a rough trip in economy doing it in one bite from NY..... Best to fly to the west coast, spend a day or two and then fly on to oz!

I keep looking at business class flights and cry! It costs so much!!! So now break up the trip!

Oh or you could do the relocation cruise, jump on the ovation (or one of the many others), as it makes its way back here for our summer (your winter). Best of both worlds then!

Very true but from what Im seeing lately, AI resorts, that include everything, are very competitive in pricing to cruising. Especially once you count everything you get like airfare, food and drink, entertainment, excursions, no tipping etc. The only reason I havent ventured out to one is because I like being on the ocean and waking up in a different place every day. Staying a week at a resort would likely bore me to tears by the third day.
Thus the value of cruising....20170210_185618.thumb.jpg.76a29fdec9826b6256e83dc9b0a6e105.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

This right here says it all - "I don't use Yoga or Room Service, so EVERYONE should not mind paying extra." Yuvraj, let me ask you this, would be even marginally upset if, for instance, the cruise lines started providing 2, instead of 3 meals per day? I'm glad you like the food in the WJ - clearly, by reading the numerous posts on CC, not everyone thinks like you, and do you know what? It's ok!

You are right, many people don't think like me. :)

Would I be upset if they took away the full board meals option? I would judge it the same way as I do hotels and resorts. Some offer full board, some half board and some don't include any meals. As long as I knew what I was getting when I book, I would not be upset as I would make an informed choice.

One thing is true. Introduction of charges for certain things like meals in MDR or major shows might remove some of the appeal of going on a cruise. So it is a question of balance and I would not favour a move towards a budget airline model.

Having cruised since the "way back days", we still have not found a better vacation than cruising, and our favorite is still RCCL. We were on a b2b2b last month on 3 different cruise lines, and RCCL was the best of all three (NCL, HAL, and RCCL).

We just don't participate in the onboard activities that don't appeal to us, and therefore don't get caught up in the nickel-and-dime issues. We cruise for the relaxation, the ocean, the different ports, and we still think the main dining room food is good. We eat out about half our meals at home, so we have a lot to compare to when it comes to the food quality on RCCL. If I'm cruising on another line, I don't drink as much alcohol, since I have to pay for my drinks. It's not a serious down-tick on the pleasure meter, because alcohol isn't my focus when I cruise.

I've read many threads over the years about people's displeasure with the add-on costs, and I think if I wanted to buy pictures, eat the best food, buy a drink package, order room service, go to the spa, etc., I would be plenty upset about the rising costs, too. But, I don't do these things, so my cruise experience continues to be the best I can get.

We are about the travel and the ports, too. We are having our 50th anniversary next year, and with a little research I managed to find almost a 1/2 world cruise for $4,150 each, including port fees and taxes. My husband last month on HAL (the second cruise), told me he wanted to cancel the HAL anniversary cruise we had booked for next year, and go on RCCL. I started researching and when we got on the RCCL ship I booked a b2b2b that encompasses Mexico, the Panama Canal, Portugal, Spain, Greece, and the Agean Sea area.

We are all about the bang-for-the-buck, and not the photos or the drink packages.

Who is forcing you to partake in things you do not like or want to pay??

Agreed. All vacations come with options of what you want to spend money on. If you don't want to pay for an option - don't. I never feel "nickle and dimed" - if I want something I buy it but do not those items that I don't want.

JUST FOR A COMPARISION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in the infancy of cruising, NCL introduced the SS NORWAY. No balconies, but here are a few of those prices:

inside cabin: $960

outside cabin: $1,440

Suite: (no balcony) $1,840

these do not include port taxes

So, compared to day, not bad!

And before anyone comes back with: "that's bogus, where id you get those prices? ..Reading out of the 1981 brochure...and yes, back then the brochure price was the price you paid! PER PERSON

And in 1981 average household income was about $20,000 per year.

FWIW, the dining package on my upcoming RCI cruise works out to $30/day. That is about 1 Quick Service + 1 Snack at Walt Disney World and a half to a third of Signature Dining. It's s steal and I'm buying it.

We did Orlando over the holidays.

A sit down meal was over $150 for 2 people. And the quality was lower than the MDR on Grandeur.

Even a basic counter service meal (fast food) was around $40 for 2 people.

This on top of park tickets ($100 per person per day). Parking at $20 per day.

And did not include hotel at $200 per day.

So per day at Disney with a counter service lunch and mediocre sit down dinner was $610 per day. Or $5400 for 9 days.

Hmm, A GS is about the same.

A sit down meal was over $150 for 2 people. And the quality was lower than the MDR on Grandeur.

So per day at Disney with a counter service lunch and mediocre sit down dinner was $610 per day. Or $5400 for 9 days.

That’s only true in the tourist area of Orlando. Get away from Disney, Universal, and International Blvd, quality increases and price decreases.

At Disney and the parks, you are a captive audience.

My wife was complaining that one game of Pac-Man in the arcade on Oasis cost $0.95 and she only got one life. Game over in about 20 seconds. We blew through $15 in about 15 minutes, so about a dollar a minute to use the arcade.

I said to her that I would not be surprised to see upcharges for Flowrider, Zip-line, rock climbing, mini-golf, theater shows, early boarding, late night snacks, reserved poolside seating.... There is probably a whiteboard at headquarters where they are puzzling it all out, and here we are giving them ideas lol.

I think Southwest still includes 2 bags.

They do but otherwise it is a cattle car. I paid $15 extra for early bird check in and still got group B. Group A is up to 60 passengers. Then another large group of 25 was "family boarding" on my flight out of Orlando because some of the children were under 6. So, group A plus family boarding filled half of the airplane before group B that I (voluntarily) paid extra for. The gate agent offered A group boarding for another $40.

So the question is whether additional charges on the ship will consistently get you something of value that you would not otherwise be able to get at no additional charge.

Our family of five has been going to Disney World for years, and overall the price is almost identical to a royal Caribbean cruise for the same amount of nights. That includes staying on property in a moderate level resort and eating a tableservice meal and quick service every day. It also includes 8-9 nights of park hopper plus waterpark tickets

Dan

Remember cruising when you paid your fare and taxes and gratuities and that was IT? Now cruise lines, especially RCCL, are charging for basically everything- better food, room service, fancy coffee, yoga classes. My question is: What will they charge for next? How far does their nickel and diming go? Here’s my guesses:

Theater and show tickets

Public bathrooms

Hot tubs

Kids programs

Gym usage

They will probably restructure their my time DR for a fancy restaurant upcharge. It’s shown that people are willing to pay xtra for the right food. The other onboard activities might go to far for people to show up at royal. Entertaining is part of the cruise experience. You need free activities to move people around the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Theater and show tickets

Public bathrooms

Hot tubs

Kids programs

Gym usage

Pizza

soft ice cream

all shows

use of library if there is one

showers in cabins

soap in bathroom