Do some people take cruises and NEVER get off the ship in the ports?

GLDody

We are taking a 2 week cruise to the Panama Canal in Nov. 2018 on the NCL Bliss, and are very excited. We took this cruise specifically to see the Panama Canal, as this is on my husbands bucket list.

My question is, I am not very excited about any of the ports stops on this cruise:

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Manzanillo, Mexico

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Cartegena, Columbia

Do some people just stay on the ship and enjoy the ship the entire time? Will they service the "FREE COCKTAILS" packages during the time the ship is in port?

Yes, people do that.

There are bars open all through the day, although some stay closed on port days.

Personally, I like to stay onboard at some point (usually a port I have already been to) and enjoy the ship being quiet. Especially on the larger ships it is a great opportunity to do things without the need to queue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many people stay on the ship.

There's nothing "free" about the drinks but the UBP works as usual while the ship is in port with the possible exception of tax added depending on local tax policy.

Why do you say there is nothing “free” about the drinks? If the OP has the UBP as a perk then at most they just paid the service charge. I’m not here to argue about if one has to pay the service charge then that makes the drinks not “free” however I was wondering if there was something else you were referring to?

Why do you say there is nothing “free” about the drinks? If the OP has the UBP as a perk then at most they just paid the service charge. I’m not here to argue about if one has to pay the service charge then that makes the drinks not “free” however I was wondering if there was something else you were referring to?

I’m assuming it’s the “not free because you pay for it in your cruise fare” argument.

I’m assuming it’s the “not free because you pay for it in your cruise fare” argument.

If that’s the case then it’s silly. Because I’m going to pay that amount whether I get the UBP or not. Hence the UBP is free.

Some ports will still have taxes charged for drinks while in port. The cruise line must charge these due to local tax laws.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some ports will still have taxes charged for drinks while in port. The cruise line must charge these due to local tax laws.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, and in this case I would still say the drink is free. Tax is a separate line item. And pretty negligible.

We are taking a 2 week cruise to the Panama Canal in Nov. 2018 on the NCL Bliss, and are very excited. We took this cruise specifically to see the Panama Canal, as this is on my husbands bucket list.

My question is, I am not very excited about any of the ports stops on this cruise:

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Manzanillo, Mexico

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Cartegena, Columbia

Do some people just stay on the ship and enjoy the ship the entire time? Will they service the "FREE COCKTAILS" packages during the time the ship is in port?

I can honestly say, I have never sailed without going on at least one tour per sailing but I have friends that do not get off the ship. They enjoy the peace and quiet, the chance to find a nice place in the sun to read and yes, the free drinks with no crowds. More and more we are spending more time on the ships as our bodies are not in love with site seeing anymore or not in as good a shape. Not only are our bodies not in the shape they once were, so many of the ports we have visited over and over.

To those who say the drinks are not free, tech you are right but the fact is still, you pay the same whether you drink one or 20 per day. As for the tax business, the drinks are still free, the taxes are not and the only place we have been where taxes are applied in within the USA

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Manzanillo, Mexico

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Cartegena, Columbia

Well, Cartegena, Columbia was one of the NICEST PORTS and EXCURSIONS we have ever had. We did the Segway Tour of the Old Walled City for 4 hours. The BEST. The 'cab ride over was almost as 'thrilling as the Dragon's Breath zip line at Labadee. :o

Others on our cruise loved the 'new city (looks like a mini Dubai) and some did the resorts/beaches - raves from everyone.

Funny, prior to the cruise, told to avoid Columbia. Terrible advice. Beautiful port.

RE: Not Getting Off Ship

On 'multiple repeat ports, we won't get off. If a NEW ship, that increases the odds of not getting off. Recently on MSC Seaside, exploring the ship on port days was the only way to get a really casual look at her, to use the zip line, water slides, etc. "AT WILL" (no lines) until we just got tired.

We're also coming out of the Northeast USA and just sunbathing on a brand new ship is priceless.

Also, wife is not a fan of island water (to drink or to jump in), except for Bermuda.

After only 10-years of cruising, the above is the plan UNLESS there is a NEW PORT, that has something we like or IS NEW. In lieu of 'every port 'and an excursion at each, we now PLAN A SPECIAL excursion "once in a while." Recently at Grand Cayman, we (wife and I) privately chartered a 63' Sea Ray for 4 hours. It was stunning. Stingray City pre-crowds, Starfish Point 'alone, fishing between stops and 1 on 1 snorkeling at several stops. Just a blast.

NBD on drink packages as wife doesn't drink and I do just beer and wine (with the packages).

To those who say the drinks are not free, tech you are right ...

I should have put a smiley face emoji, my bad.

It's just fun to mess with people. "Complimentary" vs. "Complementary" vs. "Free"....it's all in good fun.

Interestingly, many hotels offer a "Complimentary" breakfast but are people who aren't hotel guests supposed to walk in from the street for a free meal? In Florida (with so many tourists), it happens more often than you would think. ;p

On our 14 day cruise on the BA in February their was a couple in their mid 40's a few cabins down from us. They never got off the ship, it was their second cruise and have never been to any of the ports we were stopping. Kind of blew my mind, but to each their own

having just done this sail on Star, you are missing out if you stay on the ship in Cartagena. What an absolutely gorgeous city!!!!

Thank you for your comments. Can you please share what you did in Cartegena that you enjoyed so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just put a deposit on a cruise that is San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas & Nassau.

I fully intend to NOT get off in San Juan. But the other ports are really interesting to me, so I'll visit them. Am actually looking forward to having a near empty ship to enjoy.

I am with BostonGal. Cartagena is a great place to spend some time. The modern city seen from the ship looks like Miami and then there is the Old City. Beautiful narrow streets, flowers, small parks and squares with fruit markets and local music and large local craft market. Look at the doors. Huge, ornate doors on homes. Most have elaborate door knockers - lizards, lions, turtles. On our Panama cruise, Cartagena was our favorite port. Our hint is to take a cab from the port to the gate near the big Yellow Clock tower. Twenty bucks. Then when you want to go back to the ship, there will be taxis all over to take you back. Seems like it was about a 20 minute ride to the Old City. Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.