Sharp warning to leave your luggage

Pelle

Sure, there are thieves out there. Of all ages. But I do think it's going a bit too far to ASSUME that this person was a thief. If she were, she wouldn't have contacted the proper owner, would she??? And where is HER luggage?

I'm just not as eager to call this woman a thief as some of the rest of you are.

Mura

A thief is someone who takes things that are not theirs... without the intention of returning it...

Thief's are criminals according to law. Criminals assume they will not get caught as this one did . She was aware of her crime and that is why she dumped the evidence. Criminals all think they are smarter, this one was dumb enough to steal and dumb enough to try to tell the owners she stole from where she ditched the evidence... so it would be harder to convict her without evidence...

From her actions, she knew exactly what she had done and was doing. and tried to get away with it !!!

Where I come from we call that theft and the person who knowingly takes and does not return what they took is a friggen scumbag thief.... Plain and simple and needs to get burned...bad by both civil damages and Criminal prosecution as well

The key point in all of this is that the person who took the case, when she discovered what she had done had no intention of returning the property only to try to get away. Had she been honest she would have seen her error, and shipped back the property at her expense without delay... She had NO intention of that . She thought ONLY of herself and took no responsibility !

At this point you do not want the case returned to you, it is NOW Evidence and the police agency having authority will take it into custody, from there, proper charges can be developed against the criminal who took it. Jim and Stan were most correct in that the person showed her true colors bu attempting to get rid of the evidence of her crime( multiple ( Theft, transporting stolen goods, obstruction of justice attempt to destroy evidence. for starters.

This is a law enforcement problem investigation now. Contact Intpol if living abroad and then the LAPD and let them take it from here. Also get a good lawyer to sue for damages in addition to pressing criminal charges. Make this person an example and others

Quit trying to figure out how to get the bag back and focus of turning this over to law enforcement...They will and should take it from there not the OP.

Are you using sarcasm? LOL

Are you using sarcasm? LOL

Nope....I am trying to reiterate that this has moved from a possible human error into a criminal act. This has moved into a criminal/police matter. Let them take it from here. Getting the bag back would let the thief get away with her crime...which she was aware of as her actions clearly indicate awareness the she could be charged with a crime and wanted to get away with it.!!!.

No sarcasm.....just reality

Nope....I am trying to reiterate that this has moved from a possible human error into a criminal act. This has moved into a criminal/police matter. Let them take it from here. Getting the bag back would let the thief get away with her crime...which she was aware of as her actions clearly indicate awareness the she could be charged with a crime and wanted to get away with it.!!!.

No sarcasm.....just reality

I'm rethinking everything because I'm realizing we, I forgot a step/process that had to be gone through after pulling the luggage off of the carousal, Custom and Border Control. I know they don't ask everyone to open up their luggage, or do they at LAX, when passing through (I have Global Entry). If she had recognized she had collected the wrong luggage while she was in Spain and left the luggage spinning on the carousal, someone would have picked it up and looked at both the luggage tag and the name on the bag and this would have taken a different path, although the luggage would have both the "thief's" name tagged but the identifying luggage info would be the OP's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ramona

My guess is that the OP's priority is to have the irreplaceable travel memory stuff at home where it belongs for the ages, not off somewhere serving as evidence to prosecute somebody.....

While you can buy a new suitcase any day, it's another matter with the more sentimental things.

I'm rethinking everything because I'm realizing we, I forgot a step/process that had to be gone through after pulling the luggage off of the carousal, Custom and Border Control. I know they don't ask everyone to open up their luggage, or do they at LAX, when passing through (I have Global Entry). If she had recognized she had collected the wrong luggage while she was in Spain and left the luggage spinning on the carousal, someone would have picked it up and looked at both the luggage tag and the name on the bag and this would have taken a different path, although the luggage would have both the "thief's" name tagged but the identifying luggage info would be the OP's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ramona

Exactly right....the bag tag is proof ot theft and who it was that did it... You NO WAY WANT THE BAG BACK till the police have taken it for their criminal investigation. That bag , in the possession of another, who had their name put on the bag tag on it makes it easy to charge the criminal.

She had opportunity to recognize and correct the error when she picked up more bags than she had originally but did not, She had to opportunity when she again checked it in at BCN but she did not., She had the opportunity at LAX, but she did not and ran to avoid the crime.

Thats 3 times she knowingly kept the property. In Baseball, 3 strikes and your out!!!

I'm guessing the reason why it was left at the airport is because the lady who mistakenly took it didn't clear it through customs. With a nonstop flight, she would be clearing US customs at lax. Would you claim a bag where you have no idea on the contents and risk what's in it? I don't know if I would. Clearing a bag with prescription drugs that are not yours could cause problems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

see post #41

the OP has given up trying to retrieve her property & claiming on Insurance

no need to keep beating the dead horse

The horse may be dead but the he lives again through case study. LOL. For me this is a lesson in procedure and reminds me of the old couple (woman) who tried to swipe my boarding pass at ATL pretending to be senile and the husband who actually swiped someone's carry on at JFK. Both played that frail, senile game.

Ramona

The horse may be dead but the he lives again through case study. LOL. For me this is a lesson in procedure and reminds me of the old couple (woman) who tried to swipe my boarding pass at ATL pretending to be senile and the husband who actually swiped someone's carry on at JFK. Both played that frail, senile game.

Ramona

And somewhere in our country, there is smiling lowlife, a person who committed a crime and banked on the chance that they the people from which she took the property, would give up before they would chase her down... and she is laughing at them. She counted on that... If "God didn't want them sheared, why did he make them sheep"" Or Never give a sucker and even break"

Going to the insurance not having the courage to stand up for your rights is what criminals love so that they can keep doing what they love best. I would bet she does it again because she got away with it !!!

One question I wonder, In LAX do you think it possible the thief had the opportunity to open the bag and pick/ take what she wanted before ditching the bag? I wonder?.......... What..DO you think a thief would do?

And somewhere in our country, there is smiling lowlife, a person who committed a crime and banked on the chance that they the people from which she took the property, would give up before they would chase her down... and she is laughing at them. She counted on that... If "God didn't want them sheared, why did he make them sheep"" Or Never give a sucker and even break"

Going to the insurance not having the courage to stand up for your rights is what criminals love so that they can keep doing what they love best. I would bet she does it again because she got away with it !!!

One question I wonder, In LAX do you think it possible the thief had the opportunity to open the bag and pick/ take what she wanted before ditching the bag? I wonder?.......... What..DO you think a thief would do?

I understand what you are saying; however, I truly believe that anything built on a lie, will indeed collapse because the foundation is crappy. I know that people get what they give 10 fold. So I'm not going to stress myself out over a criminal unless they are physically threatening. I'm not going to fall into bitterness which will defile everything around me. Be not deceived, God is not mocked ...whatever a person sows that he/she will reap. This is not just a belief system for me ...I've seen it in action. We reap what we sow and the reaping is much bigger than the seed(s) that was and are/is being sown.

Ramona

I understand what you are saying; however, I truly believe that anything built on a lie, will indeed collapse because the foundation is crappy. I know that people get what they give 10 fold. So I'm not going to stress myself out over a criminal unless they are physically threatening. I'm not going to fall into bitterness which will defile everything around me. Be not deceived, God is not mocked ...whatever a person sows that he/she will reap. This is not just a belief system for me ...I've seen it in action. We reap what we sow and the reaping is much bigger than the seed(s) that was and are/is being sown.

Ramona

Ramona: when it comes to property crime, you may need a reality check about how invasive it really is. For example, the nationwide (US) urban epidemic of car window smash/grabs may only net the crook a bag of cookies. But, the time, energy and money it takes the victim to have that window repaired (which may NEVER work totally right afterwards- including the rattling glass fragments in the door sill) is nothing to shake off with philosophical BS.

Letting bad stuff "slide" is what makes things worse in the long run.

To the contemporary adage "See Something - Say Something" I add "Do Something."

Unbelievable! The suitcase is back. Don´t

ask me how, it arrived with a KLM-plane to Arlanda today. The driver who delivered it had no information.

But... nothing was taken. Even a bottle of champagne was left in the unlocked suitcase! What initially seemed impossible was still feasible.

Thank you to those who are behind the happy ending!

ask me how, it arrived with a KLM-plane to Arlanda today. The driver who delivered it had no information.

But... nothing was taken. Even a bottle of champagne was left in the unlocked suitcase! What initially seemed impossible was still feasible.

Glad it all worked out for you

So I guess contrary to some opinions ... suitcases do travel alone ;)

That is great news!

I should think you probably benefited from somebody’s ignorance of the whole story. I expect they saw this suitcase sitting in the lost/unclaimed luggage and just thought it was the usual matter of a suitcase going astray on the wrong flight and sent it back to the address on the label, in the usual way of such luggage. They probably didn’t realise the whole complicated history!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please, no thanks necessary. It only took me one phone call to my cousin Vinny.[emoji41]

Congrats! I am happy for you.

Great news really pleased to hear it all worked out for you.

Last week at Southampton I looked at the labels on two bags before finding mine. Tomorrow I am ordering a set of least tasteful, loudest, tackiest suitcase covers I can find. I’ll put up with the embarrassment to forgo the anxiety.

I have learned a lot on this thread. First one should always put a home address on the luggage tag. Many times I have put a hotel address because there is where I was going to stay after the cruise.

Second, if you can, take your luggage with you and do not leave it outside your door. This is fairly easy to do on smaller ships like those from Oceania. Much more difficult on a ship like MSC in which on debarkation day it is almost impossible to get a free elevator.

Ivi