Room service service charge

yags

I don't get this. You can, essentially, order the entire room service menu for ONE delivery/service charge of $7.95 (or whatever it is).

That is incredibly cheap. And why would anyone stiff the 'waiter'/delivery person? They didn't implement this change. They deserve the tip for bringing the food to your cabin.

You tip the pizza driver, don't you?

Would be nice if they told us how much of the $ 7.95 goes to the delivery guy. If it turned out he got all of it does he still deserve an extra tip?

Nice to know what is going on.

Would be nice if they told us how much of the $ 7.95 goes to the delivery guy. If it turned out he got all of it does he still deserve an extra tip?

Nice to know what is going on.

NONE of the $7.95 goes to the delivery guy. Just like NONE of the delivery fee from Pizza Hut goes to the driver.

??? YES, they do deserve a tip, IMHO.

I don't get this. You can, essentially, order the entire room service menu for ONE delivery/service charge of $7.95 (or whatever it is).

That is incredibly cheap. And why would anyone stiff the 'waiter'/delivery person? They didn't implement this change. They deserve the tip for bringing the food to your cabin.

You tip the pizza driver, don't you?

The 7.95 charge in RCCL for room service other than continental breakfast has an 18% gratuity added to it. If someone doesn’t add an extra gratuity, I would not consider that stiffing the waiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Googs has copies of the menu.

But, I will say you can get almost anything that is reasonable. Reasonable to ???

Want it? Write on the menu card. It probably will show up.

Exactly this--write it on the card or dont' use the card but rather call and ask for it. Chances are that they can provide it for you.

Can someone tell me what is on the room service menu for breakfast? I mean, can you order bacon? Eggs? or is it just Continental?

Randall -- the printed room service menu lists only Continental breakfast items. But, as new cruisers last time, we did not look at the menu, so we thought that we could order a hot cooked breakfast. So, we called up and ordered that; and for some reason, they brought it to us.

( Other people here at CC have said that only passengers in suites can order hot breakfasts. But for some ( unknown) reason, we got a hot breakfast.

My point to other posters here is: Please don't refuse to tip the room service crew on Princess, where there is no tip added on to the bill. So far, Princess room service is free of charge. -- EBC

Randall -- the printed room service menu lists only Continental breakfast items. But, as new cruisers last time, we did not look at the menu, so we thought that we could order a hot cooked breakfast. So, we called up and ordered that; and for some reason, they brought it to us.

( Other people here at CC have said that only passengers in suites can order hot breakfasts. But for some ( unknown) reason, we got a hot breakfast.

My point to other posters here is: Please don't refuse to tip the room service crew on Princess, where there is no tip added on to the bill. So far, Princess room service is free of charge. -- EBC

I am in total agreement. My original question about tipping referenced how that is handled with a delivery charge. On Princess We always tip when our coffee is delivered in the morning.

There are a few hot items on the breakfast menu. We have always used Room service as our wake up call with coffee. We also order the egg and ham or the egg and bacon sandwiches along with fruit and juice.

For a snack, the club with fries is also very good.

As for the tip, ALWAYS! The delivery people run their tails off for us, and we have never met one that wasn't the kindest.:)

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Does anyone know whether the room service delivery personnel participate in the tip pool?

Please note that I haven't said anything about my personal tipping, I just asked a question.

hang your checked breakfast menu on your door the night before...no charge for most items including coffee which is almost undrinkable and we stopped ordering it...

Just curious why the coffee was "undrinkable." Does this also mean that the cabins don't have individual coffee/ tea pots in the room?

The coffee is another subject. But if Princess needs to strip some paint off the hull off the ship, the coffee is their first choice.

If you are asking about kettles, there would only be a kettle (generally) when sailing from U.K. or AUS.

If you want to order a pitcher of hot water for tea then yes, you can get that.

As for a coffee maker, not on Princess.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Does anyone know whether the room service delivery personnel participate in the tip pool?

Please note that I haven't said anything about my personal tipping' date=' I just asked a question.[/quote']

I don't know and I don't care. In fact, their compensation arrangements are none of my business.

If someone dressed in an uncomfortable uniform balances a heavy tray full of food, without spilling, to my cabin door and smilingly and politely brings it inside, that few bucks I hand them is so insignificant in my life that I can't even imagine wasting the time it would take to concern myself over how that those dollar bills fit into their financial situation.

Just curious why the coffee was "undrinkable." Does this also mean that the cabins don't have individual coffee/ tea pots in the room?

I’ve sailed in balcony cabins and mini suites. No coffee or tea making availability. Can’t speak for suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The pot of coffee from room service is fine. Better than I had in HC. Loved room service on all ships but Regal which rates just an OK. Best ship was been the CB for outstanding quality & service.

framer

Please note that I haven't said anything about my personal tipping' date=' I just asked a question.[/quote']

I believe they do but I still tip. I agree with rdsqrl.

And why would anyone stiff the 'waiter'/delivery person? They didn't implement this change. They deserve the tip for bringing the food to your cabin.

Room service personnel share in the tipping pool that your daily auto-tip goes into. Of course you are welcome to tip an additional amount if you wish.

I read the same article from Cruise Critic, and as usual in all of their scenarios they omit Princess. They discuss RCCL, NCL and Celebrity in depth, but no mention of Princess.

Those are the line that are charging for room service. NCL won't even let you take food from the buffet to bring back to your room. Royal charges $7.95 to deliver food whether it's one item or food for a group of people. Continental breakfasts is still included in the fare. Celebrity charges to have food delivered after a certain hour. I'm happy that Princess wasn't mentioned in the article.

Recently completed 34 days on the Diamond Princess. After about the third day I found it more convenient to call room service for breakfast vice hanging the menu on the door. The menu didn’t state all the items available. Often ordered a veggie omelet and hash browns among other items. Never took more than 10 minutes from order to delivery instead of not knowing when during the 1/2 hour time frame on the menu. No extra charge other than the tip I gave the server.

What would be a sensible tip amount for this? Thanks