Tipping at the beginning of your cruise?

MBP1

Tipping in advance is no different than paying for advance boarding or any other priority service. Completely legal and surprisingly effective.

No one said it was illegal. Not sure where you came up with the idea that this is being discussed.

And, I would challenge your claim that it is "surprisingly effective". It's effectiveness depends on how corrupt the system is where it is being practiced. Politicians - yes, I can agree. Stateroom attendants or wait staff (the people we are actually talking about) - no, I can't agree.

Originally posted by Warburtons These gratuity threads are getting me down.

I work in the hospitality industry and if I were to receive a tip I would be mortified. Tipping is demoralising and patronising and I wont be doing it.

Even giving to students working their way through college means that you doubt their parents' ability to support them. Its a thing of the past. Stop it!

I am very interested who declared tipping is the past and when he or she did so. I must havewmissed tthat anouncement as this is the first I have heard gtthag. By what authority wsas this ''word passed down'?

Originally posted by Warburtons These gratuity threads are getting me down.

I work in the hospitality industry and if I were to receive a tip I would be mortified. Tipping is demoralising and patronising and I wont be doing it.

Even giving to students working their way through college means that you doubt their parents' ability to support them. Its a thing of the past. Stop it!

I am very interested who made the declaration that tiping is the past? I must have missed the announcement as this i gt he first I have heard it. WHO is the person or what institution who made this declaration and by what authority ?

oH, I get it............. You are p ulling our leg. :) This as a means to be c heap and able to look in a mirror?

I SHALL continue tipping and I suspect I will have plenty of company. :)

Any sort of link verifying this ' edict' would be of great help. is there any confirmation of SAME?

How long ago was ' the new rule' passed down'?

Edited by sail7seas

No one said it was illegal. Not sure where you came up with the idea that this is being discussed. And, I would challenge your claim that it is "surprisingly effective". It's effectiveness depends on how corrupt the system is where it is being practiced. Politicians - yes, I can agree. Stateroom attendants or wait staff (the people we are actually talking about) - no, I can't agree.
Good points. I think those who spend the extra money are stretching to rationalize their expenditure.

I am very interested who declared tipping is the past and when he or she did so. I must havewmissed tthat anouncement as this is the first I have heard gtthag. By what authority wsas this ''word passed down'?

I am very interested who made the declaration that tiping is the past? I must have missed the announcement as this i gt he first I have heard it. WHO is the person or what institution who made this declaration and by what authority ?

oH, I get it............. You are p ulling our leg. :) This as a means to be c heap and able to look in a mirror?

I SHALL continue tipping and I suspect I will have plenty of company. :)

Any sort of link verifying this ' edict' would be of great help. is there any confirmation of SAME?

How long ago was ' the new rule' passed down'?

It is my opinion that tipping is an out of date practice. It is my opinion, based on working in an hospitality environment, that the practice is outdated, embarrassing and patronising. Yes, all my opinions but I thought they might be helpful to you, particularly in Europe. I am entitled to my opinion.

My initial post produced one response which was racist (now taken down, I note). It showed that, although we all speak the same language, our cultures are very different.

Edited by Warburtons

It is my opinion that tipping is an out of date practice. It is my opinion, based on working in an hospitality environment, that the practice is outdated, embarrassing and patronising. Yes, all my opinions but I thought they might be helpful to you, particularly in Europe. I am entitled to my opinion.

My initial post produced one response which was racist (now taken down, I note). It showed that, although we all speak the same language, our cultures are very different.

Tipping in America is basically a necessity because the labor laws encourage employers to pay below minimum wage to people in service industries that generally receive gratuity. In fact, if you pay for your meal with a credit card most places will tax the servers for at least 10% of your tab. So if you don’t tip and pay with a credit or debit card your server paid to wait on you. I’m not trying to disparage your opinion, just clarifying the differences in the US and why it’s important to tip here.

I personally would prefer the European mentality of paying a living wage to employees and making tipping a thing of the past, but we don’t appear to be headed that way anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tipping in America is basically a necessity because the labor laws encourage employers to pay below minimum wage to people in service industries that generally receive gratuity. In fact, if you pay for your meal with a credit card most places will tax the servers for at least 10% of your tab. So if you don’t tip and pay with a credit or debit card your server paid to wait on you. I’m not trying to disparage your opinion, just clarifying the differences in the US and why it’s important to tip here.

I personally would prefer the European mentality of paying a living wage to employees and making tipping a thing of the past, but we don’t appear to be headed that way anytime soon.

I'm sorry but tipping is not a necessity, because the labor laws have push the system this way. If people stop tipping, the laws would be changed. The free market is a great thing, it always finds a balance point.

If it was only what the law says, women would never have the right to vote, equal rights never would have happen, slavery could still be in place. All these things have been changed because the laws and the way we do things has changed. Tipping as it stands now, could and should be removed from the American norm. It should be as defined a reward above and beyond, not a standard.

You can be sure that if the crew took care of your nieces [sic] husband before me because he had bribed the waitstaff, this would have a very negative impact on the size or the tip or the possibility of an end-of-the cruise tip from me.

DON

I can just report on what I observed.....

(Like I said, I'm too damn cheap to play that game)

I'm sorry but tipping is not a necessity, because the labor laws have push the system this way. If people stop tipping, the laws would be changed. The free market is a great thing, it always finds a balance point.

If it was only what the law says, women would never have the right to vote, equal rights never would have happen, slavery could still be in place. All these things have been changed because the laws and the way we do things has changed. Tipping as it stands now, could and should be removed from the American norm. It should be as defined a reward above and beyond, not a standard.[/

I disagree, I think it’s better to try and effect change by actively participating in the political system. If you think it’s not ok to pay someone below minimum wage you can certainly make your opinions known without punishing the employees.

However, not trying to hijack the thread, and I understand that your probably not going to change your opinion about this subject and neither am I so no need to debate. I only brought it up because I feel that many times people are unaware of the circumstances that service employees face.

Cheers!

If you think it’s not ok to pay someone below minimum wage you can certainly make your opinions known without punishing the employees.
This is an important distinction. Actions have consequences and there is no legitimate justification for taking any actions in this matter that adversely affects the crew.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

....I disagree, I think it’s better to try and effect change by actively participating in the political system. If you think it’s not ok to pay someone below minimum wage you can certainly make your opinions known without punishing the employees.

I agree with your reply. I find it disingenuous to claim, as the poster you are replying to keeps reminding us, to be advocating for better wages for the service staff while enriching himself by pocketing the tips the very people he is claiming to be helping would otherwise be getting. Such constant railing against the tipping culture, and repeated bravado about not participating, strikes me as extremely self centered. And morally bankrupt as well. I find his posts offensive and callous.

Edited by sloopsailor

I bring my own sheets, so they have to redo them what they had just done earlier, so I will give them a few dollars extra for that, but otherwise, it's whatever the exact gratuities expected are.

I have a friend who likes to talk up the servers at restaurants, but she is also generous enough to tip above and beyond. She feels that building rapport may get better service. I tell her that I am quick w/my servers so that can mingle with folks like her to earn more tips because I tip my 15%. Extremes even just among the two of us :)

I pre-tipped a room steward once when our three teenage sons had their own cabin. You could call that a facilitation payment if you want, I called it Hazard pay!;)

We have also pre-tipped waiters and bartenders to facilitate better service. The good Lord didn't bless me with the height or the good looks to get a bartender's attention at a crowded bar, but he/she did bless me with the ability to make good money. Hey, I just use what the good lord gave me!:D

:D Funny!

I agree with your reply. I find it disingenuous to claim, as the poster you are replying to keeps reminding us, to be advocating for better wages for the service staff while enriching himself by pocketing the tips the very people he is claiming to be helping would otherwise be getting. Such constant railing against the tipping culture, and repeated bravado about not participating, strikes me as extremely self centered. And morally bankrupt as well. I find his posts offensive and callous.

Thanks, I appreciate your support. However, I really don’t mean to change the topic of the thread, it seems people find enough issues to debate about on cc without me adding my 2 cents.

I was drawn to this thread because they asked about tipping up front, and while I see how it sounds like a good idea.. I agree with most that it’s completely unnecessary.

However, I enjoy tipping the room steward and bartenders (we usually do buffet, or I’d include the wait staff) throughout the cruise because I feel like it is something that I would enjoy were I the one cleaning the room or serving the drink. Who doesn’t like putting a few bucks in their pocket every day? Why wait until the very end.. seems like an outdated tradition.

I was talking to some people I met on my last cruise, who normally tip at the end, and they agreed that it seems better all around and decided to adopt the habit of tipping throughout.

I technically do tip in advance, because starting the first night of the cruise when we leave for dinner I leave 5$ and a thank you note for our cabin steward. We give the bartenders $1 per drink, I know we’re not tipping just to be pampered because I watched a guy tipping 20$ every round and he was served at the same time as us. So I don’t think we get something extra for it, I do it because I appreciate how amazing the staff always seem to treat everyone onboard. I also feel they’re not making what they’re worth, so I try and give a little more when I can. If you’re only tipping because you want them to treat you like a celebrity..then you should probably just book the haven suites.

I disagree, I think it’s better to try and effect change by actively participating in the political system. If you think it’s not ok to pay someone below minimum wage you can certainly make your opinions known without punishing the employees.

However, not trying to hijack the thread, and I understand that your probably not going to change your opinion about this subject and neither am I so no need to debate. I only brought it up because I feel that many times people are unaware of the circumstances that service employees face.

Cheers!

You can have your opinion but others do not need agree. When the cruise lines set the system up so the only actions guest can take effect the crew it is on the cruise lines not the guest. It has nothing to do with being cheap or disrespecting the crew, it has everything to do with principles. The only way change can happen is to stop letting the cruise lines control tipping.

No I do not think it is fair to pay under minimum wage, but if the crew is under the minimum set for the ship based upon flagged country it is up to the crew line to raise the wages, not the guest tips. Some many here want to forget tipping is optional.

Maybe it is just a boating thing, always found sailors boating to believe they were better than the power boat guys, so they looked down on them. The power guys just laughed and went around them. Same thing here everyone has a opinion but no reason to believe or follow those opinions, just go around them.

When the cruise lines set the system up so the only actions guest can take effect the crew it is on the cruise lines not the guest.
The cruise line makes an offer but the passenger accepts the offer. Literally and legally the passenger becomes a "party" to the agreement. A principled perspective often drives prospective customers to do without what a company is offering when what that company is offering, or how that company is offering it, is morally offensive. There is no principle behind accepting an offer from a company that one morally opposes and then causing harm to innocent bystanders. Edited by bUU

The cruise line makes an offer but the passenger accepts the offer. Literally and legally the passenger becomes a "party" to the agreement. A principled perspective often drives prospective customers to do without what a company is offering when what that company is offering, or how that company is offering it, is morally offensive. There is no principle behind accepting an offer from a company that one morally opposes and then causing harm to innocent bystanders.

I'm sorry but your statements above are not true. First if talking about tipping it is optional, why do so many want to forget this? Next the guest responsibilities are to pay the required contracted fares. If it is allowed to under the contract to adjust fees the guest can and should do so as they believe is correct.

I'm sorry but not the Guest responsibility to pay the crew that is on the cruise lines. Morally opposes, as guest we are getting a service we are not changing the World..... sorry I do not care to change the World, I care about my Word and the people within it.

If others want to change the World go for it just leave those of us not interest in your idea of correct alone.

It is my opinion that tipping is an out of date practice. It is my opinion, based on working in an hospitality environment, that the practice is outdated, embarrassing and patronising. Yes, all my opinions but I thought they might be helpful to you, particularly in Europe.

Tipping culture is still strong and prevalent even in Europe and no one seems embarrassed about it. On my last trip to London I noticed tip jars on the bars in pubs. Restaurant "service charges" are simply another form of tipping and becoming more common. No one takes offense at a tip and I've never had one turned down anywhere in Europe.

This thread is not about the broader social issues of tipping but whether a tip at the beginning of a cruise results in improved service. In my experience it can. Incidentally, my best examples of the practice resulting better service were land-based and both in Europe. My stays at a small hotel in London and at a hotel in Spain were much improved by some strategic tipping early in my visits.

We rarely tip beyond the auto gratuities. We get the same service no matter what (unless we're faced with an employee who obviously wants to end their contract).

I hope you don't pre-pay those auto gratuities.

Some posters around here might think of that as bribery.;)

The cruise line makes an offer but the passenger accepts the offer. Literally and legally the passenger becomes a "party" to the agreement. A principled perspective often drives prospective customers to do without what a company is offering when what that company is offering, or how that company is offering it, is morally offensive. There is no principle behind accepting an offer from a company that one morally opposes and then causing harm to innocent bystanders.
I'm sorry but your statements above are not true.
You are mistaken.

Three cruise line indeed does make an offer. The passenger does indeed accept the offer. That does, literally and legally, make the passenger a party to the agreement. This is basic Contract Law. And people do often do without things as a matter of moral principle. Some refuse to buy blood diamonds; vegetarians do without buying meat. And so on. Denying that is mystifying, like denying that people like wearing the color blue because admitting it works against some point one is trying to defend. And the ships' crew are innocent bystanders harmed by what you are suggesting in response to your objection to the tipping system. You are just claiming that things are not true without defending such denials. That makes no sense.

This thread is not about the broader social issues of tipping but whether a tip at the beginning of a cruise results in improved service.
One is inescapably woven together into the other.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Typical tipping thread. What started as a simple question has evolved to a few people arguing their own moral high ground. :rolleyes:

Yep, I asked a simple question then it turned into this. I keep following for the entertainment.

I hope you don't pre-pay those auto gratuities.

Some posters around here might think of that as bribery.;)

For the clueless: all tips, whether pre-paid or charged daily, are held until the end of the cruise when a reconciliation of the guest's account is finalized. Only then will the tip amount be deposited into the staff's accounts. Absolutely no different than someone working all week for an agreed upon salary and then getting paid at the end of that week. Do you consider your salary to be a bribe?

Do you consider your salary to be a bribe?
I think the critical point is getting a bit lost in the back and forth. With regard to the last question you asked sometimes people are offered signing bonuses. There's nothing wrong with that. What makes pre-tipping off-kilter is that it is a mechanism that goes behind the backs of the management of the cruise line to secure for one's self service superior to that the cruise line intends for, and promises to, all passengers in the same class. By all rights, if there is going to be a superior offering, it should be publicly available from the cruise line.

So this "bribing" of the crew is like ticket scalping - an advantage given to those with additional wealth and/or awareness of an unfair loophole.

Of course, life isn't fair.

However, that doesn't make unfairness or benefiting from it right. People who play by the rules should prevail over those who don't, even though it isn't generally the case. The matter of unfairness and unjust privilege should be raised. People who benefit from unfairness and unjust privilege need not be shielded from the less attractive aspects of what they engage in - you take the good with the bad. For most, they are pragmatic enough not to care. For the rest, those who are unhappy about their unjust privilege being exposed, it could be a wake-up call to reconsider the loopholes that they leverage.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.