Average passenger mix and homeports

A comment on another thread got me to wondering, how much of any given sailing is made up of locals, versus out-of-towners? For example, what percentage of passengers onboard Liberty are from Texas, in any given week? Or what percentage onboard Anthem, is typically from the New York metro area?

The comment that got me wondering about it, referred to the vibe of each ship, and how it varies. Some of that is attributable to the crew, of course, but it got me to thinking about how much the homeport, and the people from that area, play a role.

When we sailed on Anthem a couple of years ago, the cruise director often addressed the crowd as being "New Yorkers", when obviously not everyone was. It made you wonder how many actually were, though.

I've only been on one cruise, so far, where the CD said anything about the makeup of the passengers, by country, and that was on Princess. Incidentally, it was then that I learned that yelling out "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" is how you identify the Australians in the group. Lol

We were on the Mariner transatlantic a few years ago Rome to Galveston. It seemed 90% of the ship was from Texas. There were so many Texans that a Texas flag was unfurled in the MDR, hung from the mid story balcony, and the crew sang Deep in the Heart of Texas as they filled the stairway under the flag. We are from CA. but it was still nice. USA USA USA as Trump would say..

A comment on another thread got me to wondering, how much of any given sailing is made up of locals, versus out-of-towners? For example, what percentage of passengers onboard Liberty are from Texas, in any given week? Or what percentage onboard Anthem, is typically from the New York metro area?

Huge and huge.

Many cruisers are "drive-to only"

There are Pinnacles who reached that level sailing ONLY on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty.

There are Grandeur cruisers who have only sailed on Grandeur and Enchantment.

There are lots of Texans (and residents of adjoining states) who have only sailed on whatever ship goes out of Galveston. It's lucky for them that RC keeps changing those ships!

We recently cruised out of Baltimore for the first time and the vast majority of people seemed to be locals. The crew referenced this several times, including the captain during his afternoon chat session. As an out-of-towner, I didn't feel as appreciated as the locals. Probably will skip Baltimore in the future. That said, the city seemed really nice and we enjoyed our pre-cruise time there.

We just cruised Anthem and have cruised Liberty twice but are not local to either port. Without a doubt, those two ports have a high percentage of passengers within a few hours driving distance. For Anthem, that means any state within that Radiance, not just New Yorkers. We met quite a few from Pennsylvania.

Anthem also draws a fair number of Canadians in my experience.
And Newenglanders like us.

Also it has sometimes people from overseas who visit New York.

We just cruised Anthem and have cruised Liberty twice but are not local to either port. Without a doubt, those two ports have a high percentage of passengers within a few hours driving distance. For Anthem, that means any state within that Radiance, not just New Yorkers. We met quite a few from Pennsylvania.

Yes, people love to cruise and airfare for a couple or family can get expensive so if they can drive to port, then many people tend to that. I like to explore new places and ports. So, I have sailed from Honolulu, Rome (Civi), Fort Lauderdale, and my home area (NY metro area). Then, there are people live in parts of the country far from any port. Those are the fliers cb references.

Nobody is really from Florida, they just live there

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LOL, speak for yourself.

Signed,

A Proud Native Floridian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The comment that got me wondering about it, referred to the vibe of each ship, and how it varies. Some of that is attributable to the crew, of course, but it got me to thinking about how much the homeport, and the people from that area, play a role.

When we sailed on Anthem a couple of years ago, the cruise director often addressed the crowd as being "New Yorkers", when obviously not everyone was. It made you wonder how many actually were, though.

I've only been on one cruise, so far, where the CD said anything about the makeup of the passengers, by country, and that was on Princess. Incidentally, it was then that I learned that yelling out "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" is how you identify the Australians in the group. Lol

There were many Texans onboard the

Liberty April 29 cruise. But according to the Captain there were also 39

Countries represented by passengers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been trying to find some actual numbers, but haven't been able to find anything that specific. One promising site has hundreds of pages of cruise industry stats, but only the general stuff is free.

Being from landlocked Kentucky, where any ocean cruise requires a flight, or a very long drive, it's hard to imagine the convenience of being within a (relatively) short drive of a port.

LOL, speak for yourself.

Signed,

A Proud Native Floridian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36% of the states population is native born.

It has the second fewest native residents of any state. Only Nevada has fewer.

Take it as a compliment

Recently learned that 2/3 of the population of the US is closer to Galveston that the Southern Florida ports. Thus the success and pricing of RCI ships out of Galveston. But there is a difference in the passenger "attitude"....that is a comment from crew on Galveston cruises...from simple things like please and thank you to passenger to passenger courtesies. Not to say folks that use other ports lack these characteristics, but the crew on Galveston home port ships "love" working out of Galveston. RCI ships sailing for Galveston usually average 75%+ Texans. (again, per senior crew members).

Simple put for the "locals", those that are able to drive 4 or less hours to port, it is much less expensive to take a cruise from that port rather than fly to another area for a similar cruise with less sea days. Also it's much easier for the "locals" to score those great last minute reduced rates. It's one of the ways I was able to cruise for 39 nights over 4 cruises in one year.

I know for us we usually tack on to a Orlando vacation a cruise of some kind (a vacation from the vacation) to save on airfare. Additional we are patient enough that we can wait for those one off 11-14 day cruises down to the Southern Caribbean from the NY area or Port of Baltimore.

I disagree, I am from Florida. Born and bred in Jacksonville, FL. Spent my college years in Gainesville.

Post college I did spend 9 years in Omaha.

I then spent 6 months in Orlando

For the last 19 and half years, I have lived in St Johns, Florida.

So I would consider myself from being from Florida.

Nobody is really from Florida, they just live there

Recently learned that 2/3 of the population of the US is closer to Galveston that the Southern Florida ports. Thus the success and pricing of RCI ships out of Galveston. But there is a difference in the passenger "attitude"....that is a comment from crew on Galveston cruises...from simple things like please and thank you to passenger to passenger courtesies. Not to say folks that use other ports lack these characteristics, but the crew on Galveston home port ships "love" working out of Galveston. RCI ships sailing for Galveston usually average 75%+ Texans. (again, per senior crew members).

Galveston itineraries are often the cheapest in the fleet

Edited by John&LaLa

I disagree, I am from Florida. Born and bred in Jacksonville, FL. Spent my college years in Gainesville.

Post college I did spend 9 years in Omaha.

I then spent 6 months in Orlando

For the last 19 and half years, I have lived in St Johns, Florida.

So I would consider myself from being from Florida.

See post #17

You're exactly right! We're from Maryland and will be cruising Anthem next year, a three hour drive away. :D