Silly statement from NCL rep

happyscmom

I am cruising on the Sun June 29 - July 2. It is a short 3 night cruise because we are budgeting this summer! :(

However, the price keeps dropping since I booked the cruise. I looked last night, and the price that I paid for my porthole OV cabin is now the price for a balcony (exactly the same price). So, as I have done with other cruises, I called and asked to change to the balcony cabin. The rep had to ask her supervisor and came back to tell me that they agreed to the upgrade. She then said, "But, if the price changes again, you cannot change this room because of this COMPENSATION." I said, "what does that mean, 'compensation'?" She said that it was considered compensation to upgrade me and they were doing so because of my status with NCL. I told her that this isn't compensation because I paid the full amount of what is now the balcony price. She said that is considered compensation by NCL. I told her that if the price changed again I would certainly call back, but I appreciated her perspective.

I'm not sure how NCL is now defining the word compensation, but I find that pretty fun!

Please no flaming...we love NCL and have cruised with them 3 times (this will be 4) in the last two years, but this is just silliness.

If past final payment, then you need to say “please and thank you” because NCL did you a favor.

I know this, and I called it "SILLY," I didn't say that I was mad. I just think calling it compensation is dumb. They didn't compensate me. I've taken many, many, many cruises, and I've never had a problem with any line (RCL, MSC, Carnival, Princess, or NCL) with getting a room change after the final payment if the price dropped enough to have it the same price as another category. Though it is not required, it is pretty standard procedure.

If it is not a big deal at all and you are not angry, why bring it up?

clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

Because I thought it was funny and a bit ridiculous. I'm sorry, is there a type of thread that is appropriate here that I wasn't aware of? Do I have to be stomping mad to post? ...or gloriously happy? I wasn't aware of this rule.

You know, I almost didn't post it because I know that 50% of people get flamed here for NOTHING at all, but I thought that this would be ok since I used the word SILLY and tried to show it was no big deal. Clearly, I was wrong.

clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

Because I thought it was funny and a bit ridiculous. I'm sorry, is there a type of thread that is appropriate here that I wasn't aware of? Do I have to be stomping mad to post? ...or gloriously happy? I wasn't aware of this rule.

You know, I almost didn't post it because I know that 50% of people get flamed here for NOTHING at all, but I thought that this would be ok since I used the word SILLY and tried to show it was no big deal. Clearly, I was wrong.

Not a flame but a sincere question. If I posted every misstatement or choice of wording I heard from a cruiseline rep or TA I would have started dozens of threads.

If you have flexibility in your dates of travel, I see no reason to book in advance anymore.

This is interesting, and I think it is largely true on NCL cruises. I am saving money for an NCL cruise next year, but I am going to wait to book it for this very reason.

However, it is different on some other lines, specifically on MSC. We've done several cruises with them in the last few years, and we've saved hundreds of dollars by booking very early. I have a big family booked with them for next April, and it is now $1000 more than it was when I booked it.

If you have flexibility in your dates of travel, I see no reason to book in advance anymore.

How about: cheaper flights, cheaper hotel rooms, better cabin availability, better selection of private shore excursions, traveling with others who don’t have travel date flexibility, better selection of times for upgraded dining, and often cheaper cruise fares?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the rep should have said and probably what the rep meant: "If there is another decrease in price or another cabin category is reduced to a cost equal to what you paid for yours, you will not qualify for any another upgrade, OBC or any other compensation".

If we book through a U.K. rep we get what we paid for at the time of booking. If we cancel pre final payment we lose the deposit and if the price drops after booking then as with air fares, rail and bus tickets, car rental, usually you just have to accept it. However, booking early gets you the best choice of cabin, sometimes special early booking deals, the opportunity to book popular tours before they sell out, etc. For our upcoming trip on Jade we wanted three cabins in a grade of which there are only six in total so we took the plunge and booked early. We booked another cruise line on the day the itinerary was published and got a two for one offer. For a 2020 Antarctic expedition we booked very early (possibly first booking on the itinerary) but as the suites vary in size within the category we got the largest available and in the position we wanted. We all have our own priorities when booking, be it a particular cabin or location or the lowest possible price.

I don’t understand this post. NCL did not have to upgrade you since it’s past final payment and they did so anyway and you are still not happy because you think you deserve another upgrade if price drops again??? Makes no sense...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t understand this post. NCL did not have to upgrade you since it’s past final payment and they did so anyway and you are still not happy because you think you deserve another upgrade if price drops again??? Makes no sense...

Oh my gosh people! I really wish that I could delete this thread. As I’ve said over and over, I understand the rules and I am happy! My point was that the language of compensation was silly. I used that word! I am NOT UNHAPPY. Are all people on this board just looking to get offended for NCL? I did not say that I was mad or that they broke the rules or anything. I said the word COMPENSATION was SILLY!

Oh my gosh people! I really wish that I could delete this thread. As I’ve said over and over, I understand the rules and I am happy! My point was that the language of compensation was silly. I used that word! I am NOT UNHAPPY. Are all people on this board just looking to get offended for NCL? I did not say that I was mad or that they broke the rules or anything. I said the word COMPENSATION was SILLY!

For what it's worth, I agree.

You're right, lets focus on mocking the person making $9 an hour for improper use of work compensation.

You'll learn what will get flames and what won't after time. Most people believe you should be grateful, and not putting a negative spin on a positive outcome. What I find more worrisome is that now other people will call asking for the same thing, and if not given it, will give reps a hard time. On the cruise I just got off of, I saw several crew members making special accommodations for guests that I would NEVER post on here knowing that others would expect the same. Accomodation - that may have been a better word choice than compensation!

• OP makes a thread with the expectation of a certain reply and asks to not "get flamed".
  • OP gets different than expected replies.
  • OP wishes to delete thread after perceiving differing replies as "getting flamed".

Welcome to Cruise Critic...(y)

If the idea of random strangers disagreeing with you is offensive, don't post.

People on a forum will disagree at times....It's not a big deal.