Hamburgers - Subjective, I Realize

logan25

I find the burgers on the Lido deck pretty decent and I love a good burger. What I really like are the Hot Dogs. Now if they only had some Chili and shredded cheese to add as toppings.......

Whatever the DH had it wasn't a veggie burger. The Princess veggie burger doesn't LOOK like meat. It's crumbly, has lots of potato (IIRC) and tastes terrible.

I like veggie burgers...one bite was all it took to toss it in the trash. Never again.

I've never ordered the burger in the MDR, but my son did. The one he got was thick and he said it was quite good. Altho' he may not be the best judge.;)

My problem with the burgers up on the top deck and that they many times stack and rack them. They are cooked and then placed into a container and then they cook them again as needed. I always try to get a fresh cooked one and will let others go ahead of me so that they aren't a dry hockey puck.

I couldn't' get them to cook one less than medium well for the life of me! It's always been hit and miss up here for me as well.

There Ernesto burger that we had was good, not dried out at all.

The reason that they will not do burgers any way but burnt is that it is a health issue. It is the same way in many land based restaurants.

This was a number of years back but I was actually able to get a rare burger on a ship once. However, I had to sign a legal waiver in their rare burger book that basically said that I could not sue them if I got sick from the rare burger. I kid you not. I guess that their lawyers realized that the ship was actually serving what the customer wanted and the customer was willing to sign off on it and they put the kibosh on it.

Come the revolution we get rid of all the lawyers.

DON

Maybe someone can/will post the full kids menu...I understand there is a great banana split - volcano - on it...hmmm spaghetti and meatballs and then a volcano sounds pretty good...

This is several years old but likely hasn't really changed:

P1050573.jpg

BTW, if comfort food includes spaghetti and meatballs, they are actually always available in the main dining rooms, as they are on the kiddies menu, and what is served IMHO is delicious. It is the same spaghetti and meatballs that is one of the entrees on Italian night. There are other comfort foods on the dining room kiddies menu, and I am willing to endure the gentle smiles of the waitstaff when I order off of it on occasion. In fact, I tend to laugh with them.

I have at least one Volcano off the kids menu on every cruise. Yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ones served in the evening in the main dining room are so much better than the trident grill. About 1/2” thick and have different gourmet toppings each night, or you can have just traditional. Bacon cheese is really good. At the Trident Grill my hubby asks for a double meat since they are rather thin. I love the grilled chicken at the Trident grill!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm rather fond of the Brats at the Trident grill, i have a couple every cruise. The burgers aren't bad if you doctor them up a little. The children's menu is great when there's nothing on the regular menu that you just have to have. I like the chicken strips and the Buccaneer burger, heck it's all good.

I really liked the burgers at the Trident Grill because they were thin. They changed the ingredients when we were cruising in February 2017. Added some kind of filler that changed the taste and texture. Yuck! The MDR burgers are way too thick for me. No problem, there are plenty of other options.

Cheers, Denise

I think that actually is a photo of the volcano. You can see at least one of the scoops of ice cream on the left. What looks like soft serve is actually gobs of whipped cream and two long slices of banana. We tried it once and they included a scoop of each of the ice cream flavors of the day. It was enough for three of us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "Volcano" I got when I ordered it looked more like the traditional banana split.

Banana split in half lengthwise, lying sideways with ice cream down the middle.

I use to order a double cheese burger, with grilled onion. Then take it into the Horizon Court, to the salad condiments area and add crumbled bacon bits and chunks of blue cheese and that makes a good burger. Sometimes the salad bar will have guacamole and that makes it the BOMB!

The burgers in the MDR are good' date=' at least at lunch. I didn't try them on the pool deck. Order them a little "different" at lunch, like medium rather than well done or whatever. They'll cook it fresh.[/quote']

I tried ordering hamburgers medium and they always make them well done. My friend calls them hockey pucks.

Tony

some ships now have the 'new' Ernesto burger - and it is a pay for ... while I've never had it, it's got to be better than the overcooked , dry burgers served on deck...

You could, as I often do, ask for a freshly cooked burger. If I see one of the cooks making me a burger with an already cooked burger, I simply ask for a freshly cooked one.....:):):)

Bob

The extra charge Ernesto burger is available as part of the $12 Salty Dog Gastropub menu on the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby. There is also an extra charge Ernesto burger for $5 or $8 with a beer at the Salty Dog Grill which has replaced the Trident Grill on the Caribbean. To add to the confusion, Princess has been trying out new MDR menus on the Ruby that includes a different Ernesto burger each night and at no additional cost [emoji848]

Plus, since mid-November 2017, you can order the Ernesto Burger from the Room Service menu on Regal Princess at a charge of $5

rs1.jpg

Love the kids menu. I have the chicken fingers (real white meat) and fries almost every night if we are eating in the MDR. They are very good. Will sometimes order a plain bowl of meatballs (no sauce) for my dinner.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I've told him those events could have been pure flukes and to give Princess another shot.

If he will try the MDR at least, rather than just Lido, he will have so many options.

I told my husband that some thought the hamburgers on Princess were terrible and his reply was, "WHAT"? He absolutely loves them. I have a problem convincing him to have something else instead.

Plus, since mid-November 2017, you can order the Ernesto Burger from the Room Service menu on Regal Princess at a charge of $5

Thanks for the tip. I will tell him that also.

He did book the cruise so his only option is to give the food another go.

Hubby is considering booking a Princess cruise. But he eats a lot of comfort food and the burgers on two Princess cruises 2-3 years ago were not at all to his liking. He did not think they tasted at all like beef. I would theorize he was served a veggie burger by mistake, but he claims it happened on more than more occasion on both cruises. Anyway, I am having a difficult time telling him the food will be to his liking.

Hamburgers, whether on pool deck or MDR, are they tasty, in your opinion? I am hoping they have changed for the better. Otherwise, he may never cruise with me on Princess again.

Basically, the "standard" burgers on ALL the mainstream lines are prepurchased. They come from vendors such as US Foods/Sysco(as do many of the desserts etc.)The food budget for each line (and for some of the more grand ships )determine the overall quality. Taste is obviously open to debate. If your husband is THAT choosey, that it determines

whether he'll cruise with you, perhaps just leave him home & join a large dinner table(I'm be sarcastic here!). There are lots of pax to enjoy a cruise with, or if he's paying, suggest a cruise on Oceania. The burgers will be excellent, but for a cruise that's $2500pp(or more)they should taste good!

Love the kids menu. I have the chicken fingers (real white meat) and fries almost every night if we are eating in the MDR. They are very good. Will sometimes order a plain bowl of meatballs (no sauce) for my dinner.

Boy, you two really need to get out there & try REAL food! I'm in the food industry & it saddens me to see pax who won't try anything other than "fast" food.

I tried ordering hamburgers medium and they always make them well done. My friend calls them hockey pucks.

Tony

The "deck" burgers are Sysco/US Foods products. Unfortunately, nearly all the lines cook the burgers to death! Health dept. demand an interior temp of 165. Not going to get a rare burger at that temp.

The "deck" burgers are Sysco/US Foods products. Unfortunately, nearly all the lines cook the burgers to death! Health dept. demand an interior temp of 165. Not going to get a rare burger at that temp.

It is one of the reasons I do not care for many ship, or for that matter, many mass produced burgers. I did get a medium rare Ernesto burger on Caribbean Princess in January by ordering it rare. Other than that, you get it over cooked (to my taste) everywhere you go. I just tend to stay away from the burgers and select some of the other offerings. While I am not a picky eater, I do like my burgers rare. Don't even get me started on the fried chicken.

See how subjective food is? The guy Thrak from California doesn't like the pizza. I do. He thinks the burgers and tacos are OK and I don't. Yet somehow we both seem to manage a good time on our cruises.

When At Sea, are the cooking temp.regulations of the USA, or other jurisdiction, in force? I was under the impression that when At Sea, such things are suspended, using gambling as an example. So why so hard to get a rare hamburger?

Boy, you two really need to get out there & try REAL food! I'm in the food industry & it saddens me to see pax who won't try anything other than "fast" food.

DH eats every fish/seafood/etc that is available for B/L/D on board the ship. I do eat REAL food - chicken - only the white meat and prefer it fried or grilled. Makes me happy and that is all that matters.

The burger at the salty dog were not that good, but tell him to take the plan burger and head to the Buffet and dress it up with different items. If its early they still had bacon from breakfast, a sunny side egg, jalapenos from thesalad bar etc. Better breads for the burger there too.