Questions for the "Suite Life" dwellers - thinking of booking our first

voljeep

What are some of your main attractions for booking the suite?

Is it usually booked just for 2 of you - or more of a family/friends thing?

Do you entertain on your balcony?

Certainly the space and separate larger shower would be very nice

Sabatini's breakfast and Club Class at night?

Full menu available for room service?

Ultimate balcony dinner would almost be a must, right?

what else? mini bar and laundry, I guess

I book a suite for just the 2 of us for the space. This is particularly valuable on longer cruises. I love the larger balcony and loungers they have on them.

Yes, I do "entertain" on the balcony and in my stateroom living area. Having access to the full menu for room service is wonderful. We've been known to have a breakfast party as we transit the Panama Canal. We haven't used the Ultimate Balcony Dinner since we have a great selection of meals available.

The many little ways Princess makes us feel special - not just the listed perks - keep us booking a suite.

What are some of your main attractions for booking the suite? See answers below

Is it usually booked just for 2 of you - or more of a family/friends thing? 2 of us

Do you entertain on your balcony? Sure, why not

Certainly the space and separate larger shower would be very nice YES

Sabatini's breakfast and Club Class at night? Sabatini's breakfast every day + mimosas. Club Class wasn't an option on our last cruise.

Full menu available for room service? This was our favorite perk! Never went to the MDR once and we ate on our balcony every night -- wonderful!! Also the full breakfast room service menu was nice on disembarkation day, since options are limited then. But you can get full breakfast any day of the cruise if you don't want to go to Sabatini's.

Ultimate balcony dinner would almost be a must, right?n We didn't see the need to pay for this when we ordered everything off the MDR menu every night.

what else? mini bar and laundry, I guess Loved the mini bar, didn't use the laundry services. The fresh fruit bowl was a nice touch, and we also liked the flowers for formal night. Even though we didn't go to the MDR and use the flowers, I gave them to an older couple down the hall who were very happy to have them. We also liked the DVD movies at night, although on the newer ships you'd wouldn't need this perk with the on-demand system.

Overall suites are awesome and I would LOVE to do it again! We got lucky and had an upsell offer.

Most of the suite perks I get as an elite tier. I book suites for the included thermal suite, I like the hot beds and use them daily. My other half likes the breakfast in the specialty restaurants. I never use room service, I like the club class. A mini suite also works for us since it has the shower in the tub so it's not so small an area to shower.

The larger space is nice. One of my favorite perks is Sabatini breakfast. Great way to start the day. Club Class dining is also a plus. The free laundry is great for less work when I get home.

We like have all the extra space and the lay out. The Vista suites we have stayed in have the curtain between the sitting area and the bed area, with two entrances to the large baclony. I typically get up early, and can be in the living area doing things, or go out on the balcony without waking my bride, as that side stays dark. She can sleep as long as she wants to and if we decide to order breakfast or a pot of coffee, that side is still curtained off the bed when the deliver. With the seperate bathroom entrances, I can also use it without disturbing her.

We like the glass walled shower instead of having to deal with the shower curtains. The whirlpool is nice, although have only used it once or twice in the past. Since we have a hot tub & a jetted tub in our bathroom at home, it's not a novelty to us.

The larger balcony with loungers is a big plus for us, since we spend time out there. Usually we start & end our day on the balcony, even for a short period of time. We did the UBD once, when we had an AFT suite and some good friends were traveling with us. It was great food & service, although not sure if we would do it again. Since we can get the MDR menus delivered to the room the night before, we can decided if we wanted to order in or go to the MDR to eat. The last trip to Alaska, we had Club Class and really like it too. That will be our choice going forward.

Sabatini's is something we really enjoy starting our day with as don't like the HC for breakfast. We don't even look at the menu and just order whatever we want, and get it cooked up.

The laundry is a plus as not Elite yet, for when on longer cruises. The mini-bar is OK, and probably next cruise we will just swap it for coffee cards. Getting two cruise credits helps us along toward reacing Elite too. On the Panama Canal cruise, we had full breakfast delivered to the room & we enjoyed it on the balcony, as we started into the locks as breakfast a Sabatini's would have been in the middle of it. Then having breakfast the last day as sailing back into FLL was a nice way to end that cruise.

Never used the thermal suite, so can't comment on that. Having the fruit bowl is nice as we graze on it during the week.

We like them when we can get it at a good price.

Do not book a full suite! They are expensive and they will spoil you. If you once book one, you will likely become addicted to full suites. An increase in the number of people addicted to suites can only result in the prices going up and the availability going down. That will just cost me more and may result in the desired suite being sold out by the time I try to book it. So, have mercy on those of us cruisers who are addicted to suites and never book one yourself.:D

Do not book a full suite! They are expensive and they will spoil you. If you once book one, you will likely become addicted to full suites. An increase in the number of people addicted to suites can only result in the prices going up and the availability going down. That will just cost me more and may result in the desired suite being sold out by the time I try to book it. So, have mercy on those of us cruisers who are addicted to suites and never book one yourself.:D

We booked our first one for our most recent cruise. OMG ... now we are spoiled. Unfortunately, we will probably will never have one again as it doesn't fit into our budget.

We didn't use nearly the number of amenities that others did .... never ate in our cabin, never used the laundry, had the beverage package so didn't use the mini-bar, never checked out the DVD's ... but what we did was take advantage of the morning breakfast in the Crown Grill, every day and just loved the Club Class dining. It was worth every bit of booking the suite.

I have several more sailings booked, a couple in oceanview and a couple in regular balconies. It's going to be tough now that we know how sweet the suite life is. :D

We enjoyed our window suite on the Caribbean Princess. With three people, the extra space was nice. The layout worked for us, but based on photos I've seen, it was not nearly as elaborate as the "full suites" that others have reported on. We needed the HA facility, so no tub, no "bath salts" (darn, I was planning to take those home where I have a nice tub).

The food was great--Sabatini's breakfast almost every morning and club class dining. We used the laundry twice on a 10 day cruise. A also did a load of delicates in the laundromat. Traded the mini-bar for 2 blank coffee cards, but based on current plans won't be using those before they expire. The "no line" at Passenger Services was nice.

What I liked about it--virtually everything. The private hallway was great.

Our first suite was 4 years ago on the partial Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess. We've always sailed in balcony cabins, but we are now addicted (as some others have said) to the suite life! My husband loved breakfast at Sabitini's. After the first morning, we were always greeted by name, served our favorite beverages without asking and they cut my husband's fresh bread the way he likes (he is very picky and showed them on the first morning). I loved the laundry service. Not having to worry about packing enough clothes, not having to worry about doing laundry and especially not having to worry about doing said laundry when we got home. Our next cruise is this September and we not only booked a suite, we booked an aft suite. Yes, we are spoiled, but we sure do enjoy every perk that comes with a suite. It may not be worth it to everyone, but to us it is and I am not sure we'll ever go back to a "regular" cabin.

I have had only one suite experience. So, my opinion may not carry much weight.

The absolute best benefit is the suite breakfast. It is SO civilized.

My wife sleeps in, every morning. It is pretty unusual for her to rise before about 10:30 am. Noon is easily doable. We always advise our room steward of our habits and work it out with him.

When I wake up in the morning I am wide awake. So, I get up and go to breakfast. The first time I went to the suite breakfast (this was on the Ruby Princess which does not have a Sabatini's and, so, it was in Crown Grill), the headwaiter was slightly surprised that I asked for a table for one. However, he and the staff adjusted the rest of the cruise. I really felt pampered for every breakfast.

We have had suites on 7 of our sailings with 4 of them being up sells. Some were before being Elite and all were before club class dining. I do love the extra space and LOVE breakfast in Sabatinis but with the exception of club class dining we already get the perks so when traveling with friends it doesn’t seem worth it.

If you haven’t done it and aren’t elite, go for it. It’s really a great way to vacation. And unlike some others, I had no issues going back to a mini-suite after being in the full suites. I did a balcony for the first time in February and did miss the mini-suite, that’s for sure.

Our next cruise is this September and we not only booked a suite, we booked an aft suite.

The best place for an Ultimate Balcony Dining. When we did it with our friends, it was only a five nighter on the Emerald.

We didn't want to pack our formal clothes and enjoyed this on the balcony instead.

It was worth it, not to mention the view & sound of the wake. :D

We always book them. Love the extra space and love being on the balcony. Tub is nice to wash my dive gear and balcony is large enough to hang it out to dry.

Use to love Sabitini's but have found the staff in club class more fun. Last cruise, they kept changing the staff in there so you would just get to know them and there would be someone new. Breakfast use to be similar to a big family meal. Everyone got to know everyone and we would stop and talk to others. It m8ght take two hours, Not the last time.

Years ago, you needed to book them right away because they sold out first. But now, they aren't selling out. It was nice with unlimited internet and the beautiful flowers. I think the perks are disappearing and many feel they are not worth the cost anymore. Encluding me. But our next four cruises are in suites. I think the space is the major attraction. I love having lunch and dinner on the balcony. So much more relaxing then in the dinning room.

You have my email, send me a note if you have any questions.

Sandy

We have had suites on 7 of our sailings with 4 of them being up sells. Some were before being Elite and all were before club class dining. I do love the extra space and LOVE breakfast in Sabatinis but with the exception of club class dining we already get the perks so when traveling with friends it doesn’t seem worth it.

If you haven’t done it and aren’t elite, go for it. It’s really a great way to vacation. And unlike some others, I had no issues going back to a mini-suite after being in the full suites. I did a balcony for the first time in February and did miss the mini-suite, that’s for sure.

With Club Class mini-suites, we are starting to consider those too if the price is right. The size of the cabin is fine as stayed in a couple, we would just really miss having a good sit down breakfast in Sabatini's, every day.

With Club Class, we would get that and dining at night.

The next four we have booked are in suites, two in AFt and two in WS, and in the later case, it was cheaper than Club Class. Although we all know hard it can be to get a WS with so few of them to choose from.

We had a suite for 10 nights on the Royal last December for an upsell. We adjusted fine going back to a balcony on the Regal in February--and now we're going to an inside for 15 nights on the Royal.

I missed the breakfasts at Sabatini's the most. We get laundry and the mini bar setup for being Elite, so they were not that great a benefit, although we did get expedited laundry for being in the suite.

Unfortunately, being in a suite on the Royal did not get us free access to the thermal suite. We did enjoy the Concierge Lounge a few times. We also found people to give away our corsages on the first formal night.

Our balcony was not extra large--definitely not large enough for entertaining. The people we met for the most part were those we saw at breakfast and dinner, so they were in suites and the Club Class minis. We did enjoy an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on my birthday. It was wonderful as always.

No kidding! Especially on the Pacific Princess. I called at 7:55 am to book an Owner's suite, and by 8:05 our first two choices were taken for this 18-night Land of the Midnight Sun cruise. Had to settle for deck 8 instead of deck 7.

Availability of Penthouse or Premium suites are much easier to get on the Star, Grand, or Majestic. Been told that the balconies on the Majestic are narrow, not like the 9 x 17 ft double wide balconies on the Caribe deck for the older ships.

We like having the space, breakfast, same day laundry, CC dining and being able to order from the MDR menu when desired.

No kidding! Especially on the Pacific Princess. I called at 7:55 am to book an Owner's suite, and by 8:05 our first two choices were taken for this 18-night Land of the Midnight Sun cruise. Had to settle for deck 8 instead of deck 7.

Availability of Penthouse or Premium suites are much easier to get on the Star, Grand, or Majestic. Been told that the balconies on the Majestic are narrow, not like the 9 x 17 ft double wide balconies on the Caribe deck for the older ships.

We like having the space, breakfast, same day laundry, CC dining and being able to order from the MDR menu when desired.

The amidships penthouse suite balconies located on Riviera deck of the newer ships are indeed narrow. I have experienced them on the Crown, Ruby, Emerald, Royal, and Regal.

Also, we have yet to get our laundry back within 24 hours, and rarely within 48 hours. I suspect that is because we tend to take longer cruises and those have more Elites onboard.

Thanks to all who have posted..:D

Not sure if it is worth the extra money to us at this time, as we are not 'foodies' - but certainly enjoy a nice meal - and that seems to be a major part with Club class, Sabatini's for breakfast, full menu available for room service

we also enjoy being out on the ship, people watching, and not in our room

still,that nice shower...;p

Edited by voljeep

The best place for an Ultimate Balcony Dining. When we did it with our friends, it was only a five nighter on the Emerald.

We didn't want to pack our formal clothes and enjoyed this on the balcony instead.

It was worth it, not to mention the view & sound of the wake. :D

We're on the Emerald too. Love the idea of the ultimate balcony dining. I can imagine that is made even more perfect on an aft cabin! Thanks for the idea!

Are you thinking about the suite for our November cruise?

We tend to spend more time in our cabin and balcony. It is a great place to sit to get together with friends we are traveling with. sometimes it is hard to get a table at one of the bars. I get sick around smoke and that is why we started booking them. Drinks on our balcony instead of at a smoky bar.

We don't do trivia or bingo, etc. activities. And if you and your wife prefer to be out and about on the ship, it may not be worth the cost. Sometimes I think we should skip the suite and then we might do more things around the ship.

Are you thinking about the suite for our November cruise?

We tend to spend more time in our cabin and balcony. It is a great place to sit to get together with friends we are traveling with. sometimes it is hard to get a table at one of the bars. I get sick around smoke and that is why we started booking them. Drinks on our balcony instead of at a smoky bar.

We don't do trivia or bingo, etc. activities. And if you and your wife prefer to be out and about on the ship, it may not be worth the cost. Sometimes I think we should skip the suite and then we might do more things around the ship.

Unless you're sailing in Asia, i believe, the only smoking in bars is the smoking lounge.