Future of Oceania

shellsrus

In reality luxury is a relative thing based on ones experience and values.... If you spent your life eating spam then a Steak would be luxury. Different values and different experience is what it boils down to.... if you sail Carnival then HAL is luxury .

Ditto, as a youth I grew up on fried spam and Vienna sausage sandwiches. Had a hard time having my stomach accept food from Jacques ! :D

The R ships are, at most, middle aged, some would say they are in their prime. They have a service life of 40 years and we love them. If the decor or size isn’t one’s cup of tea there are many options out there.

Last fall, while we were on an O cruise, a senior officer told us not to be surprised if O announces a couple of new builds soon, both of which would fall between the current R and O class ships.

O will not build ships smaller than the O ships..never happen..

Jancruz1

"HAL" does not define a product. HAL ships vary from 3.5* to 5*. So what I always say: never say HAL, say what ship.

The Riviera delivers 4* product overall.

An imaginary "Riviera Plus" class with improved spa & fitness options, two-deck high theater, proper promenade & front viewing decks, decent aft pool, more sun deck space would be a #1 cruise ship at sea (something like a project that Viking conceived but failed to achieve).

Happy sailing!

IMO, HAL does define a product: Mediocre food and service living on a reputation of yesteryear. Which HAL ship is irrelevant.

That said, the age/infrastructure of a ship as a factor in deciding when/where to cruise pales in comparison to quality of food, service and amenities.

The "ideal" ship you describe (e.g., 2 story theater, aft pool, etc.) would just mean another monstrosity on the high seas.

I am convinced that most O loyalists would never want to see any ship bigger than Riviera/Marina.

There's also a practical issue here of "don't fix what ain't broke" (not just the philosophy but also the finances). The added cost of significant changes in naval architecture, non-duplication of existing ship systems, et al.), would surely negatively impact fares.

Reworking some interior functional spaces and decor based on the existing O ship platform will keep costs from skyrocketing while also keeping the majority of Oceania passengers happy.

BTW, Paul, I was on the inaugural of the Bliss the end of May and I was so impressed with it..fabulous ship, great food and wonderful service.even saw a full production of Jersey Boys.(We were in the Haven) I am going again for a week because it is LA to LA and Stu and I are trying not to fly all the time.. We will be on RVA in January..

Happy safe 4th to all..

Jancruz1

O does spend a great deal on regular maintenance and dry dock updates to keep those R-ships in great shape. And as they age it becomes more and more expensive. I can't find it right now but some time back on a different board I read an excellent post from past Chief Engineer who explained the problem as a relates to hulls and "re-certification" (my word not his) required as ships age.

Also, I assume newer ships have greater efficiencies and less general operating costs and more easily meet new environmental, safety and security regulations.

But even at with the increased expense it must still be cost-effective or O would not have purchased Sirena.

As long as they can continue to fill ships with an sweet spot of occupancy/price point those ships will continue to sail and be promoted. New produce a is not necessarily a good choice. There will be those who always see new as better and like a moth to a flame will be drawn to it and make self fulfilling conclusions. The problem with marketing "new" is that there will always be someone "newer".

Despite that many posters on CC (I am not saying on this board :) ) believe they understand the marketing of cruises, the operating fundamentals, and the economic trends (I and do have my extremely sound opinions as well!) I suspect the high price talent (and I do dislike paying that amount) at NCHL, Apollo, et al do have a plan.

Happy July 1, and 4th

"HAL" does not define a product. HAL ships vary from 3.5* to 5*. So what I always say: never say HAL, say what ship.

The Riviera delivers 4* product overall.

An imaginary "Riviera Plus" class with improved spa & fitness options, two-deck high theater, proper promenade & front viewing decks, decent aft pool, more sun deck space would be a #1 cruise ship at sea (something like a project that Viking conceived but failed to achieve).

Happy sailing!

Does it bother you that other posters don't seem to recognize your genius and expertise in ship design?

Does it bother you that other posters don't seem to recognize your genius and expertise in ship design?

I could care less what other people recognize (as regards this question).

That said, I know just enough about retrofit vs new builds in the maritime world to be "mildly dangerous." My money is on the idea that O will not move far from the basic O design and incorporate only those modifications that address shortcomings discovered over the past decade.[emoji41]

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

the R Ships do not work anymore and the Newer ships are teriffic but need to be up dated. At this rate there in no future for Oceania as we know it. Need new ships as every other cruise line is getting. Too bad that we will have to look elsewhere in the future.

If we applied this logic to Sea Dream Yacht Club, then they would have been out of business years ago, yet they are the top scorers in the Berlitz guide, despite having 2 small ships dating from 1984 with tiny cabins....

I have never cruise Oceania but am considering a cruise on Nautica & would like to know is that an "R" ship? What should I know about Oceania...do many people arrange private tours through roll-call for this line? (I have had excellent luck w/ some & not so good w/ others). Also, since I do not have a "buddy", do they ever arrange that? Are there solo rooms?

Thanks for any info.

Linda

I have never cruise Oceania but am considering a cruise on Nautica & would like to know is that an "R" ship? What should I know about Oceania...do many people arrange private tours through roll-call for this line? (I have had excellent luck w/ some & not so good w/ others). Also, since I do not have a "buddy", do they ever arrange that? Are there solo rooms?

Thanks for any info.

Linda

You may want to start a new thread

Yes Nautica is an R ship as are Insignia, Regatta & Sirena

+2 what is most irritating is the reference to what is' proper' !!!! Proper??? Proper is a arrogant term based on ones belief that they know best.

almost everything he thinks is necessary is a mass market feature. Giving Riviera a 4* and Holland Ships a 5* is laughable.... they are 2-3 star at best

Thanks for any info.

Linda

Linda, No O does not arrange cabin mates. Solo passengers pay a supplement of around 100% (double) There are NO solo rooms all prices are double oucc. Nautica is an R ship and quite nice only 600 passengers approx not the thousands upon thousands others have

If you go to the roll call section then you can look up your cruise and see if anyone is planning a private tour or not. Not always

If we applied this logic to Sea Dream Yacht Club' date=' then they would have been out of business years ago, yet they are the top scorers in the Berlitz guide, despite having 2 small ships dating from 1984 with tiny cabins....[/quote']

Not sure where you got your information, but Europa 1 & 2 have consistently scored way above any other ships in the Berlitz guides for years!

I think this thread is quite interesting, and I do believe I read all the posts, but perhaps not.

All comments seem to relate to cabin size, dining rooms, library, short people, tall people, old ships, new ships, new builds, etc. etc.; HOWEVER, I failed to see any

comments about the staff.

O & R have some of the most outstanding staff I have ever encountered and I have over 80 cruises (since 1957). When you step on board and see the familiar faces as well as someone who comes to you and mentions your name. What a delight.

I even carry a companion, WWT, (World Wide Traveler), a little snoopy and I had a young lady approach me as I boarded and she said, "Aren't you WWT's mother?" I couldn't believe it.

I think the staff from bottom to top make the cruise line. It take a team to be successful. How can one not get spoiled. Of course we go to see the world, but we also go for a bit of attention away from the routine.

I lost my husband 3 years ago, and the only thing I wish they had were more single fares. If I were to say anything negative, this would be it.

Thank you all for the information. I will check for a rollcall if I do book. I agree w/ the last poster - would be nice if there were more options for those without a current cruise buddy - on ALL lines.

I agree w/ the last poster - would be nice if there were more options for those without a current cruise buddy - on ALL lines.

I've written about this before, but it is worth knowing.

The Cruise Lines don't have anything against singles, it's just that selling the room is more lucrative when a couple rents it.

Two people buying drinks, shore excursions, treatments in the Spa etc make a big difference (and for all of you out there who are so gung ho about getting a new ship the balance sheets are EVERYTHING when the Line tries to make that happen).

All that said, as with seemingly everything in life, FOLLOW THE MONEY.

If you ARE serious about wanting lower single fares, use your Cruise as a time when you experiment with new types of wine in the Dining Room, test those new cocktails that you've always been curious about, and use their shore excursions even when you might be able to book it cheaper, privately. Schedule your cut and color so that you get it done in the Spa in conjunction with a splurge treatment that you would never buy at home.

If enough Singles do this, the Lines will start to view your business as competitive with that of a couple, and the prices will start to decrease.

Hi Shel,

>We're hesitant to try an R ship due to all the feedback on the small cabins/bathrooms and overall age and condition of the ships.

We have just returned from a circumnavigation of Ireland on The Nautica.

The only negative feedback I have is that the lobster was overcooked.

Ira

Why should the age of a ship matter if it is properly maintained?

I think this thread is quite interesting, and I do believe I read all the posts, but perhaps not.

All comments seem to relate to cabin size, dining rooms, library, short people, tall people, old ships, new ships, new builds, etc. etc.; HOWEVER, I failed to see any

comments about the staff.

O & R have some of the most outstanding staff I have ever encountered and I have over 80 cruises (since 1957). When you step on board and see the familiar faces as well as someone who comes to you and mentions your name. What a delight.

I even carry a companion, WWT, (World Wide Traveler), a little snoopy and I had a young lady approach me as I boarded and she said, "Aren't you WWT's mother?" I couldn't believe it.

I think the staff from bottom to top make the cruise line. It take a team to be successful. How can one not get spoiled. Of course we go to see the world, but we also go for a bit of attention away from the routine.

I lost my husband 3 years ago, and the only thing I wish they had were more single fares. If I were to say anything negative, this would be it.

We've pretty much found staff on all cruiselines we've done to be excellent. The nicest we had was on a 14 night B2B on the Regal Princess a few years back. That being said, the staff on the Riviera was excellent & very knowledgeable in all our dealings with them.

There have been posts on this board discussing the NCLH strategy with pointers to the slides from this year's Shareholder's Meeting. I recently reviewed those slides before buying NCLH stock, and I think they answer these questions.

NCL just launched a big new ship. Regent has a couple new builds in progress. No new builds currently scheduled for Oceania.

There has been a conspicuous absence of big sales for Oceania (I know, because I watched for Memorial Day and July 4th sales before booking something) and many of the cruises I've looked at recently appear fully or largely waitlisted. So I'd conclude that Oceania is doing just fine with the current product. But then again, I bought the stock. ;)

Oceania added Sirena to the fleet in 2016 after an extensive refurbishment. The ships are full and after 6 cruises including one that ended today on Regatta I haven’t seen any decline in quality in anyway.

The R class ship attracts a special and loyal crowd that like the boutique English country hotel, The small number of passengers and the overall service, cuisine and ambiance. Folks who dont need new, flash or dash and enjoy the feel of classic cruise's of 50 years ago. Others say the ships are small, need modern touches, up dating, bigger TV, more gizmos. Presently the tried and true cruisers are filling the ships again and again. The I gotta have new and zip and wow can fine it in many other lines.... O has a very nice niche and knows it.