Future of Oceania

shellsrus

Hmmm...

Several thoughts here with few being qualified or negative:

1. Our first Oceania cruise was in the Baltic on Nautica. We were hooked and became confirmed Oceania cruisers.We were in an A2 and the only negatives were a plastic shower curtain/phone booth shower combination (that I hated which caused us to upgrade to PH's in future; and we did note some furniture nicks etc which were rectified soon after with an overall upgrade. We did 12 days on Sirena last summer and loved the ship. It seemed perfectly refurbished, especially the walk in shower (bath still cramped) and hated the combined steak/pasta restaurant with all glass walls that echoed insufferably

2. Our preference is for the O ships (especially bargain fare TA;s). We prefer the 4 specialty restaurant choices (we've made out like bandits despite our PH status - largely thanks to some all-world butlers and our TA). That said about 1500 odd close friends is about as big a hoard as we are comfortable traveling with. But both Riviera (our fave) and Marina are truly works of art at sea. What I see elsewhere appears largely flash, gaudy and frankly tacky from our point of view.

3. We did 19 days last February on RSSC Navigator down under. She is Regent's oldest ship by far, originally built as an ice breaker but converted to a passenger liner after launch. This was our first cruise on Regent and we found absolutely nothing we didn't love. Despite her age, Navigator was lovingly maintained. We found her different layout preferable to Oceania's: We liked the Compass Rose (their GD) on deck 4 center ship) much more stable during heavy seas. We loved our PH2 deck 9 centered, especially how the stateroom was laid out; we felt we had close to the same amount of room as in an 'O' PH and that included a real king bed. We also preferred the 2 deck aft entertainment lounge compared to O's single forward lounges. This has been our absolute best cruise to date.

4. Regents all-inclusive fare was heaven on earth. All excursions and alcohol included. It was nice not to have to sign a chit for a gin & tonic or a glass of wine at dinner.Wish Oceania would adopt the same fare structure. We felt that Regent's all-inclusive fare was either close to or the same as Oceania's O'LIfe fare plus alcohol all things being included.

5. Yes, both are NCL lines, both share a similar 'aulde' style decoration scheme and most importantly a warm, personal attention to service and ambience for their passengers that newer and bigger (read floating cities) will never possess nor provide..

SWMbI and moi will never be comfortable in any environment, especially at sea in something that emulates a European Professional Soccer Riot.

Thanks for bearing with my rambling.

JMBobB

Edited by JMBobB

Hmmm...

Several thoughts here with few being qualified or negative:

1. Our first Oceania cruise was in the Baltic on Nautica. We were hooked and became confirmed Oceania cruisers.We were in an A2 and the only negatives were a plastic shower curtain/phone booth shower combination (that I hated which caused us to upgrade to PH's in future; and we did note some furniture nicks etc which were rectified soon after with an overall upgrade. We did 12 days on Sirena last summer and loved the ship. It seemed perfectly refurbished, especially the walk in shower (bath still cramped) and hated the combined steak/pasta restaurant with all glass walls that echoed insufferably

2. Our preference is for the O ships (especially bargain fare TA;s). We prefer the 4 specialty restaurant choices (we've made out like bandits despite our PH status - largely thanks to some all-world butlers and our TA). That said about 1500 odd close friends is about as big a hoard as we are comfortable traveling with. But both Riviera (our fave) and Marina are truly works of art at sea. What I see elsewhere appears largely flash, gaudy and frankly tacky from our point of view.

3. We did 19 days last February on RSSC Navigator down under. She is Regent's oldest ship by far, originally built as an ice breaker but converted to a passenger liner after launch. This was our first cruise on Regent and we found absolutely nothing we didn't love. Despite her age, Navigator was lovingly maintained. We found her different layout preferable to Oceania's: We liked the Compass Rose (their GD) on deck 4 center ship) much more stable during heavy seas. We loved our PH2 deck 9 centered, especially how the stateroom was laid out; we felt we had close to the same amount of room as in an 'O' PH and that included a real king bed. We also preferred the 2 deck aft entertainment lounge compared to O's single forward lounges. This has been our absolute best cruise to date.

4. Regents all-inclusive fare was heaven on earth. All excursions and alcohol included. It was nice not to have to sign a chit for a gin & tonic or a glass of wine at dinner.Wish Oceania would adopt the same fare structure. We felt that Regent's all-inclusive fare was either close to or the same as Oceania's O'LIfe fare plus alcohol all things being included.

5. Yes, both are NCL lines, both share a similar 'aulde' style decoration scheme and most importantly a warm, personal attention to service and ambience for their passengers that newer and bigger (read floating cities) will never possess nor provide..

SWMbI and moi will never be comfortable in any environment, especially at sea in something that emulates a European Professional Soccer Riot.

Thanks for bearing with my rambling.

JMBobB

All excellent points and observations Jim Bob I used to sail Regent a lot over 75 days in fact. You loved the inclusive shore excursions and all free drinks. I can not argue that if you loved to have that then Regent is your ticket. For me and others we were turned off by what exactly turned you on !

!

I really dont drink anymore even on cruises and prefer taking my own shore excursions as opposed to the organized ones and never went to any shows. So, it didn't make sense to be paying a 40%-50% premium for things I would never use.. Oceania I saw as the Ala Carte version of Regent with 50% less humanity on board ! Sort of like buying a first class ticket and sitting in coach.

As far as ship up keep I dont find a few nicks or dings in furniture or a shower curtain to bother me.,but whatever floats your boat...In the years past, I was all for the pleasures of Regent , however, as I did more and more cruises and travel I found out what I did and did not need and selected my future adventures accordingly

You may too!

Agree with Dan.

This way we have a choice - those that do not drink and prefer to choose/do their own excursions will prefer Oceania as you don't have to pay for what you don't need or use.

If you enjoy included drinks and tours - you've got Regent.

If Oceania did what you wished for, there would be no choice - the 2 lines would be identical (more or less).

All excellent points and observations Jim Bob I used to sail Regent a lot over 75 days in fact. You loved the inclusive shore excursions and all free drinks. I can not argue that if you loved to have that then Regent is your ticket. For me and others we were turned off by what exactly turned you on !

!

I really dont drink anymore even on cruises and prefer taking my own shore excursions as opposed to the organized ones and never went to any shows. So, it didn't make sense to be paying a 40%-50% premium for things I would never use.. Oceania I saw as the Ala Carte version of Regent with 50% less humanity on board ! Sort of like buying a first class ticket and sitting in coach.

As far as ship up keep I dont find a few nicks or dings in furniture or a shower curtain to bother me.,but whatever floats your boat...In the years past, I was all for the pleasures of Regent , however, as I did more and more cruises and travel I found out what I did and did not need and selected my future adventures accordingly

You may too!

Ditto.

Oceania has "50% less humanity on board" than Regent? How so, as the Oceania Marina and Riviera each hold 1,250 passengers while Regent's largest ship only holds 750 passengers?

Interesting that you should choose to post on this topic.

What do you think of the design of the Muse?

Silver%2520Muse%2520-%2520Artist

We were SO disappointed. :mad:

Edited by StanandJim

We are relatively new to Oceania, having only experienced Riviera for a week in Oct 2016 from Barcelona to Rome. We thoroughly enjoyed everything about our cruise and are looking forward to going Round Britain (our own British Isles) on Nautica in September. The age of a ship does not bother us, more the layout and general atmosphere on board. Our first cruise ever was on Cuinard's QE2 in 2006, one of the last cruises on this veritable ship, being about 40 years old at the time. Loved all the wood and brass, the prom decks etc, a proper ship. And one of our nicest cruises (although we did have our son and his wife and young family with us, making it extra special, was on Cruise and Maritime's Columbus, a 30 year old ship, which they had just acquired from P and O Australia, prior to that it was UK P and O's Arcadia. A lovely traditional ship, with wide prom decks, easily accessed from the central bar lounges, and lovely tiered aft decks - we had an outside cabin right at the back, with a door just feet away to one of these decks, with seating and sunbeds. Very quiet and it was better than a balcony for viewing the Norwegian fjords - we could see in three directions. Modern ships build up the back with cabins and the bigger the ship, the less outside deck space there is per passenger. Food was good on Columbus; not Oceania standard, but our cruise was excellent value for money for our party of seven. Plus my sister as a single (around 25% extra to have a cabin to herself).

Agree with Dan.

This way we have a choice - those that do not drink and prefer to choose/do their own excursions will prefer Oceania as you don't have to pay for what you don't need or use.

If you enjoy included drinks and tours - you've got Regent.

If Oceania did what you wished for, there would be no choice - the 2 lines would be identical (more or less).

Could not agree more. We especially do not wish to subsidize the drinking habits of others. We are not teetotalers by any means, but just want to be responsible for our own liquor only.

Donna

We did two cruises on the QE2 in 2004 and were sorry to see her go. Our second cruise was a Southampton-NYC TA and we splurged on a queen's grill room -- but it was with Grand Circle at an extremely discounted rate. Our room was gorgeous but we saw some dings and dents in the woodwork. We didn't mind her showing her age a bit ... we did too!

I remember being told on our first trip that the QE2 could go faster in reverse than other ships went forward ...

A grand old girl.

Mura

We are relatively new to Oceania, having only experienced Riviera for a week in Oct 2016 from Barcelona to Rome. We thoroughly enjoyed everything about our cruise and are looking forward to going Round Britain (our own British Isles) on Nautica in September. The age of a ship does not bother us, more the layout and general atmosphere on board. Our first cruise ever was on Cuinard's QE2 in 2006, one of the last cruises on this veritable ship, being about 40 years old at the time. Loved all the wood and brass, the prom decks etc, a proper ship. And one of our nicest cruises (although we did have our son and his wife and young family with us, making it extra special, was on Cruise and Maritime's Columbus, a 30 year old ship, which they had just acquired from P and O Australia, prior to that it was UK P and O's Arcadia. A lovely traditional ship, with wide prom decks, easily accessed from the central bar lounges, and lovely tiered aft decks - we had an outside cabin right at the back, with a door just feet away to one of these decks, with seating and sunbeds. Very quiet and it was better than a balcony for viewing the Norwegian fjords - we could see in three directions. Modern ships build up the back with cabins and the bigger the ship, the less outside deck space there is per passenger. Food was good on Columbus; not Oceania standard, but our cruise was excellent value for money for our party of seven. Plus my sister as a single (around 25% extra to have a cabin to herself).

You lost me as to how this related to Regent vs Oceania .... seems more a review of a mass market the P&O,Columbus and QE2 which I ...????? What was your point about Regent/Oceania? What is with "Proper" it sounds sort of arrogant ????

To Silver.... Jim Bob says that Regent was carrying 1500. I went on that R class which I sail carry 650 !!!

I would imagine that NCL holdings doesn't have "bottomless pockets" and they choose their investments so that new ships are in places where they need them. Norwegian got a new ship this year I think. Regent is getting Splendor in 2020. Very likely shortly after that Oceania will get another big new one. (Remember that last year or the year before Sirena was re-added to the Oceania fleet, and much upgraded.

What you posted makes a lot of sense. Regent went many years without a new ship and now they have one new one with another due in in February 2020 (Splendor). It would not surprise me if a new ship was announced for Oceania in 2020.

In terms of the "R" vs. "O" ships, we have only toured a "R" ship and we prefer the larger ship for the suite size.

While a bit off topic, the only reason we did not book an Oceania cruise this September was airfare. The cost to upgrade from coach to business class on Oceania is, In my opinion, outrageous. Although we could have booked air on our own for a lesser price, it was still too much for a quickie 7 night Baltic cruise.

P.S. Jancruz - we were also on NCL's Bliss at the end of May. She is a beautiful ship. Sailing on NCL opened our eyes to trying other "fun", short cruises. So, instead of sailing in a Vista suite on Oceania, we'll be in a top suite on another cruise line for a quickie west coast sailing.

First off can I say I am yet to experience an O cruise, that will hopefully happen at the end of August, but I have travelled on an Azamara R ship.

Oceania is neatly positioned at the moment, as has been mentioned above, where you buy the cruise and then add on what you require. It is a step above the mass market and considered ahead of Azamara.

Like all cruise companies it is looking to the future and trying to see how it will remain profitable in a changing demands of the market. The demand for an "all inclusive" package is lapping at its door. In that sense I mean included drinks and gratuities only, which is where those below are now mainly marketing themselves.

I note that O has a dedicated band of return passengers, but by definition they are declining in size, so they have to see what will attract the next group of devoted O followers. The average age of the cruising community has considerably lowered in the last decade or so, and I suspect all various cruise brands have been subject to that phenomena to a greater or lesser extent. O has to look to supplying that market as they progress from the mass to the Luxury lines.

If you look at a census of current comments on O, you will see food quality is the big positive and entertainment appears to be the main bugbear. How will the R ships with their structural limitations on dining options, entertainment facilities and stateroom size meet the market when faced with newer ships of similar passenger capacity, but improving on these shortfalls?

Ultimately the R ships will be replaced, all things evolve and no doubt somewhere in Miami someone is looking at how O will. Like it or not the current status quo is unlikely to remain unaltered.

Edited by hillsprint

Hope to be on Bliss in October LA/LA will you be there??

Jancruz1

No - it is unlikely that we'll cruise NCL again but we are happy that we had the experience (really loved the dinner in Le Bistro). We also enjoy the Riviera, however, being Titanium on Regent gives us benefits that we cannot get elsewhere so we are pretty committed to Regent (except for quickie cruises that we are trying -- just for the heck of it -- no expectations).

Andee;

They only make up 1/3rd of the itineraries. Plus, we don’t know actual occupancy levels. I’ve read and heard multiple reports of the Riveria cruising the Carribe in winter at 2/3rds or so occupancy levels.

In any business you can't stand still. You must go forward or you will in time go backward. Look at Toys R Us. At one time the biggest, now out of business. Soon so will Sears and K Mart. Once the biggest retailers in the world. Have closed at lest 500 stores in the last few years. Could give you 10 other names from the fortune 500 a few years ago that are not with us today. O needs to move forward before it is too late for them. Still have a great product which we love but can't sit on their laurels forever. :(

In any business you can't stand still. You must go forward or you will in time go backward. Look at Toys R Us. At one time the biggest, now out of business. Soon so will Sears and K Mart. Once the biggest retailers in the world. Have closed at lest 500 stores in the last few years. Could give you 10 other names from the fortune 500 a few years ago that are not with us today. O needs to move forward before it is too late for them. Still have a great product which we love but can't sit on their laurels forever. :(

I must have missed it...is Amazon getting into the cruise business?

I note that O has a dedicated band of return passengers, but by definition they are declining in size, so they have to see what will attract the next group of devoted O followers. The average age of the cruising community has considerably lowered in the last decade or so, and I suspect all various cruise brands have been subject to that phenomena to a greater or lesser extent. O has to look to supplying that market as they progress from the mass to the Luxury lines.

OH NO PLEASE no water slides & rock climbing walls :eek: :halo:

Not everyone wants all inclusive even if they are transitioning from mass market to Premium/Luxury lines

Doing so will increase the price of the cruise & maybe the potential new passengers that may be willing to pay today's prices & still have choices of what to spend their $$ on

if you want all inclusive there are lines out there for that

I guess time will tell

JMO

OH NO PLEASE no water slides & rock climbing walls :eek: :halo:

Not everyone wants all inclusive even if they are transitioning from mass market to Premium/Luxury lines

Doing so will increase the price of the cruise & maybe the potential new passengers that may be willing to pay today's prices & still have choices of what to spend their $$ on

if you want all inclusive there are lines out there for that

I guess time will tell

JMO

Well said.

Those that are upgrading to O from mass market lines already have to pay more than what they did before. If one adds included liquor the further price increase may exclude some potential new customers that are willing to pay a “little” more but not a “lot” more to upgrade.

Not to mention the preferences of loyal customers that like the current “a la carte” model.

JMO

Well said.

Those that are upgrading to O from mass market lines already have to pay more than what they did before. If one adds included liquor the further price increase may exclude some potential new customers that are willing to pay a “little” more but not a “lot” more to upgrade.

Not to mention the preferences of loyal customers that like the current “a la carte” model.

JMO

I agree. The O Club benefits and O life provides enough OBC to make our O cruises “all inclusive” for us.

I don’t want any ships larger than the O class and I suspect the R class will be with the O fleet until the end of their service lives, probably another 20 to 25 years.

I also don’t see what else O could do to “go forward.” The beds, food and service are great and I’m satisfied with the itineraries. What’s lacking?

Interesting that you should choose to post on this topic.

What do you think of the design of the Muse?

Silver%2520Muse%2520-%2520Artist

We were SO disappointed. :mad:

We really don't care for it - or the Silver Spirit, which as you know has been called "Musefied" after its lengthening and redecorating a few months ago. We have one cruise still remaining on the Spirit, but that will be our last on those two ships since we just can't get a good feeling from them. Too cold and uninviting. We had a very enjoyable cruise on Regent's Explorer though, and that is our favorite ship of the moment. Overdone, yes, but you can sure see how the money was spent to build her.

we cruised in Dec 2017 the ship was pretty full

not sure where you get your DATA

Some people just make stuff up for effect

79.74% of statistics are invented.

FDR said on TV some time ago that Oceania would charge what the market will pay: nothing new there, it's retailing's short term objective.

However, he, Bob Binder et al must be aware that once the market determines the ceiling pricing structure it can desert the product very quickly - and in a high-cost product such as cruising will not return. As many have pointed out, there's plenty of competition out there at many levels.

There have been some disconcerting indications over the past year or so of cost cutting and lack of the attention to detail that has in the past been Oceania's trump card. Duct tape hanging from the balcony ceilings in Sirena, running out of the most popular teabags and wine for weeks on Insignia - on the RTW no less - less attention to coffee station supplies and cleaning etc etc are all trivial in themselves but add up.

We increasingly get the impression - and we are not alone - that the wonderful staff are keeping Oceania's loyal customers returning DESPITE the company's apparent lack of interest in maintaining standards.

Things are good, but ain't what they used to be.

Oceania is an excellent transition from the mass lines to the premium and luxury.

After 20 years on Celebrity, they were fired. We have 1 cruise taken on Oceania Marina and another cruise booked in October on Riviera.

We are NOT interested in "all inclusive" - we will not pay for others booze (Regent/Crystal) and mandatory shore exursions (Viking).

Oceania's business model is excellent - customize for what works for you.

This is a niche that Oceania should not abandon.

We do the premium level now because of:

* No overt class discrimination

* No ship within a ship segregation

* Connection to the sea (vs Celebrity's new Edge which has no forward viewing areas)

* Excellence in food and service

* Smaller size

* Well travelled guests who are not focused on "free beverage packages"

* Limited to no children

* Excellent itineraries with overnights

Being Canadian, we have had to reduce our travel budget as our Cdn $ is so much less than the US$. We now travel alot less than before because it is simply too expensive - paying 35% more than God Bless America guests does not sit well with us - even using a US TA.

So when we cruise, it is now on a premium line.

We will experience our first R class ship this October - we will see if the R ships are something we wish to purchase again - time will tell.

The Marina was wonderful and I suspect Oceania would be well advised to consider more of this class of vessel.

Happy sailing all.