open bar and underage drinking

jayemtom

Not trying to break the rules. Completely opposite. What measures are in place to prevent underage passengers from ordering and being served on open bar cruises (when cards are not swiped)? Can 18-20 kids still order beer and wine? Is open bar inclusive of soft drinks and non-alcoholic beverages?

No cards are swiped on Sun or Sky. While on Sun, I did not observe anyone being asked for ID when ordering a drink. However, even if IDs were being checked, the underage person could just have someone of age order the drink. Two per person per trip to the bar are allowed.

So to answer your question, I would say there are little to no measures in place to prevent underage drinking.

On my previous sky cruises there's not a lot of swiping cards to check for anything. I've seen it happen sometimes in the first day but after that it's open season. On the GA this week I can say I'm seeing a lot more underage drinking - either under 21 getting their hands on liquor/shots or under 18 getting alcohol petiod (usually girls getting beers from 18-21 year old boys). Plus the under 18 teenagers have been rampant in spice and the bliss club at night and security isn't checking anything.

yes

Good to know, thanks! She loves to have a tropical drink during sail-aways which I'm fine with. On Royal Caribbean it is strictly forbidden with the threat of being disembarked if caught giving a drink to anyone under 21.

On my previous sky cruises there's not a lot of swiping cards to check for anything. I've seen it happen sometimes in the first day but after that it's open season. On the GA this week I can say I'm seeing a lot more underage drinking - either under 21 getting their hands on liquor/shots or under 18 getting alcohol petiod (usually girls getting beers from 18-21 year old boys). Plus the under 18 teenagers have been rampant in spice and the bliss club at night and security isn't checking anything.

How can you be sure they were under 18? My daughter was so mad when at customs they assumed she was under 18 and made her approach with me...... she is 22. At Fenway Park, they refused to serve her beer even with ID, since they were convinced it was fake (again, she was furious). So, sometimes people don’t look their age. Then again, I see 15 and 16 year old girls look like they are 25, so you never know. I tell my daughter she will like that aspect of her appearance when she is 40!

How can you be sure they were under 18? My daughter was so mad when at customs they assumed she was under 18 and made her approach with me...... she is 22. At Fenway Park, they refused to serve her beer even with ID, since they were convinced it was fake (again, she was furious). So, sometimes people don’t look their age. Then again, I see 15 and 16 year old girls look like they are 25, so you never know. I tell my daughter she will like that aspect of her appearance when she is 40!

Mrs Gut was a mother of two and people still thought she was a youngish teen, she used to get riled when people would think our kids were her little brother and sister. Now she wishes it was the case.

Me on the other hand, last time I was carded or refused service at a bar I was 13.

the card must be swiped, and if no waiver is signed, then they wont be able to get it.

HOWEVER, if they make friends with others who do have priviledges, tehy will most likely get drinks bought for them by these friends.

ive also heard that younger teens go around finishing drinks left on tables as a way to get alcohol (yuck!!).

the card must be swiped, and if no waiver is signed, then they wont be able to get it.

HOWEVER, if they make friends with others who do have priviledges, tehy will most likely get drinks bought for them by these friends.

ive also heard that younger teens go around finishing drinks left on tables as a way to get alcohol (yuck!!).

Beer and wine is expensive, I can’t imagine these young adults are charging tons of drinks to their parents’ accounts for their new best friends. My kids knew that they’d be paying me back for their drinks, I think their bar tab was $50 (and I didn’t make them reimburse me, just didn’t want them to go overboard).

Good to know, thanks! She loves to have a tropical drink during sail-aways which I'm fine with. On Royal Caribbean it is strictly forbidden with the threat of being disembarked if caught giving a drink to anyone under 21.

On Escape, parents of an 18-20 year old can sign a waiver to be able to order beer and wine only -not all drinks with alcohol. I assume this is true on Getaway too. What people do with their drinks and who they give them to, are a whole other matter:o... Is anything enforced on NCL?

Was on Escape June 10th cruise, and sign-up was in Headliners when you board, (I was surprised honestly) and there was a sign at the bars too. And our card was swiped every time we ordered a drink, even by bartenders that knew us and our regular drinks, even sitting at the bar all evening.

But those who appear to be underage do get their cards swiped, so the response is valid. I don’t know why you would enable your kid to drink on a cruise when it is illegal on land. Just reenforcing bad behavior.

Just to clarify... it isn't "completely" illegal on land. I can legally allow my underage kids to drink on my own property, and I do. My kids (17 and 20) will have an occasional beer or other cocktail with us, whether it be on a hot summer afternoon on our deck with our neighbors (one of which is a city police officer who confirmed a few years ago it was legal for me to allow my kids to drink on my property) or at a family dinner or one of any other occasions where I deem it to be appropriate. I was raised this way, and I feel modeling and allowing responsible drinking in moderation (in my own home where it's LEGAL or on the ship (international waters) where it's LEGAL or in another country where it's LEGAL is a completely appropriate idea. I personally feel like there is more of a risk for binge drinking or over-indulging if it's seen as a taboo. Having said that, I do not allow them to drink to the point of intoxication, at least not when I'm around. I don't have control over what they do when I'm not around of course, and I'm well aware of that. But I do know when I was growing up, being allowed to drink responsibly at home hugely affected my alcohol consumption when I was hanging out with my friends, compared to those friends that were never allowed to drink at home.

I was on the 6/4 sailing of the Sky. I am a 40 year old female. My companion is a 40 year old male. We were never asked for our card. However, I was waiting for a beverage at the bar and a young woman who looked young asked for an alcoholic beverage. The bartender asked for her card. She was upset. He swiped her card and said no problem I'll get your "insert drink".

On Escape, parents of an 18-20 year old can sign a waiver to be able to order beer and wine only -not all drinks with alcohol. I assume this is true on Getaway too. What people do with their drinks and who they give them to, are a whole other matter:o... Is anything enforced on NCL?

Was on Escape June 10th cruise, and sign-up was in Headliners when you board, (I was surprised honestly) and there was a sign at the bars too. And our card was swiped every time we ordered a drink, even by bartenders that knew us and our regular drinks, even sitting at the bar all evening.

Yes, the ability to sign a waiver to allow 18-20 year olds to consume beer and wide is fleet wide, not just on the Escape. The exception is in Hawaii (and I think maybe Alaska) where the waiver isn't available, plus in Europe and maybe some other places where there is no need to sign the waiver as the legal age for drinking is 18 anyway.

The reason that you have to have cards swiped on the Escape, but people on this thread are saying that the cards don't need swiping is because they are talking about "open bar" cruises, where everyone has drinks included. In that case there is no need to check cards to ensure that they have the beverage package. When you were on the Escape, only some people have the beverage package which is why they always have to check cards.

Yes, the ability to sign a waiver to allow 18-20 year olds to consume beer and wide is fleet wide, not just on the Escape. The exception is in Hawaii (and I think maybe Alaska) where the waiver isn't available, plus in Europe and maybe some other places where there is no need to sign the waiver as the legal age for drinking is 18 anyway.

The reason that you have to have cards swiped on the Escape, but people on this thread are saying that the cards don't need swiping is because they are talking about "open bar" cruises, where everyone has drinks included. In that case there is no need to check cards to ensure that they have the beverage package. When you were on the Escape, only some people have the beverage package which is why they always have to check cards.

I know... and several issues were discussed here...lol. I was answering the woman who was going on the Getaway and she was happy that her under age (21) could get an alcoholic cocktail other than beer or wine. Just explaining how it was on Escape and I assumed that Getaway would be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They've quit swiping cards on 3 and 4 night Bahamas and Cuba Itineraries because of the "all inclusive" nature of the voyage.

I just want to know how someone can visually tell who is 19 and who is 21.

They can’t tell, so unless you look like a child you may not be carded. But, if they feel the need to check, they will ask for your cruise card which contains the info, so no need to carry personal ID.

Due to the nature of these cruises in particular, and higher price, they don’t attract as many families as other itineraries without Cuba. Also, if kids want to drink, they find a way, whether on a cruise or at home.

If you don’t want your underage kids to drink, this may not be a cruise for your family. If you allow your 18 to 20 yo to drink, you can sign a waiver for them to be served beer/wine on any NCL cruise.

You won’t see a policy of ‘carding’ on these open bar cruises until NCL is sued or a tragedy occurs. Although a law in NY, it’s really the same in a liquor store or bar or restaurant, it is at the discretion of the employee or owner whether everyone or an individual is carded. But it is illegal (or libel if something happens) if caught selling/serving to someone underage.

Btw, in NY you will be carded in supermarkets when you buy beer because they need enter a date into the register. So we know not to get excited when asked for ID.... lol. My niece is 40 and still gets carded when she buys lottery tickets, which is 18 yo. OTOH, I get asked to show my ID to get Senior discounts....[emoji51].

Edited by DaisyL

They've quit swiping cards on 3 and 4 night Bahamas and Cuba Itineraries because of the "all inclusive" nature of the voyage.

I think their policy of not swiping cards for alcoholic drinks, as a form of proof of age or number of drinks ordered, will change when a tragedy occurs or they are sued, especially involving a child. Too bad there’s no common sense NCL!

I think their policy of not swiping cards for alcoholic drinks, as a form of proof of age or number of drinks ordered, will change when a tragedy occurs or they are sued, especially involving a child. Too bad there’s no common sense NCL!

Isn't the "What about the Children?!?!?!?!?!" trope getting a bit old?