Hurricanes or Tropical Storms

Worst case, change Islands. Most of time these are easy to steer around and unless it's there when you are no issues..

I sailed one year in Sept, peak season, there was 4 names storms/hurricanes that week, was one of highest named yrs at that time. Lot of waves, rough couple days of rocking. But in end we only changed one Island from Nassau to Coco Cay

They have lots of experience with this =)

On our October cruise a hurricane followed us basically the whole way home. They ended up skipping one port because it had closed in preparation, and we did have mostly cloudy skies, but there were none of those 'rocking cruise ship' issues like you see on youTube.

We were on Oasis doing b2bs last August during Hurricane Irma. Our 14 days turned into 17 because we couldn't get back to Port Canaveral. Storm was between us and port then we had to wait until PC reopened. RCCL handled it magnificently as did the Captain. Never were we in any danger.

We are going on HOTS this Saturday and Tropical Storm Beverly is on the lose. we are going to St. Thomas on Tuesday and St. Kitt Wednesday. How does Royal deal with storms?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Here’s a tweet from a Captain Johnny from the Harmony today.

The #harmonyoftheseas are already starting to plan for a back up plan for next cruise. At this moment it looks good for a normal Eastern which include Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Exiting times and never a dull moment in the office ;-)

One nice thing about a cruise ship...they can steer their "house" out of harms way.

Unfortunately many in paths of hurricanes have brick and motor/"stick" homes and cannot get those out of the way of oncoming Hurricanes.

I would rather be on a cruise than be in a house awaiting storms arrival...which we have been in the path of several times. :eek:

We are going on HOTS this Saturday and Tropical Storm Beverly is on the lose. we are going to St. Thomas on Tuesday and St. Kitt Wednesday. How does Royal deal with storms?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Are you talking about Hurricane Beryl?

Bad news, NHC is now forecasting Hurricane Beryl will reach the Lesser Antilles at hurricane strength on Sunday/Monday.

Here is the latest advisory.

At 1100 AM AST (1500 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Beryl was located

near latitude 10.7 North, longitude 46.5 West. Beryl is movingtoward the west near 15 mph (24 km/h). A faster westward towest-northwestward motion is expected to begin over the weekend andcontinue through early next week. On the forecast track, thecenter of Beryl will approach the Lesser Antilles over the weekendand cross the island chain late Sunday or Monday.Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 80 mph (130 km/h)with higher gusts. Additional strengthening is forecast during thenext couple of days, and Beryl is expected to still be a hurricanewhen it reaches the Lesser Antilles late Sunday or Monday.Weakening is expected once Beryl reaches the eastern CaribbeanSea on Monday, but the system may not degenerate into an open troughuntil it reaches the vicinity of Hispaniola and the centralCaribbean Sea.Beryl is a compact hurricane. Hurricane-force winds extend outwardup to 10 miles (20 km) from the center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 35 miles (55 km).

Hey - read the new post on cruising during hurricane season. lots of good tips.

Also - stay flexible. We had an Eastern Carib. become a Western Carib. ( or maybe it was the other way around - I just don't remember) the night before sailing. The point is - you may be diverted to a new set of ports, or have a port cancelled and have a sea day.

The captain's job is to keep the passengers and crew safe.

stay safe.

M

I wouldn't be too concerned about Beryl. She's a very conpact, almost tiny sized storm which means the strongest impacts will only affect a very small area. She will be easily avoided. Also expected to weaken significantly early next week due to strong southwesterly shear.

Everything on these boards is pretty much a repeat since CC has been up and running so long. What also isn't different are morons that feel they need to decide what is a worthy thread or not. Let me give you a hint...if its something you feel you are not interested in simply don't click on that thread but let others who are excited about their upcoming journey post and asked anything they want. That is the fun of Cruise Critic!