Why do people print their luggage tags?

ontheweb

They will print them for you at the dock, and I am sure their tags will be much sturdier than the ones you can print out. Just give them your cabin number.

Plus we had our cabin changed. I would have had to print them all over again as the originals would have had the wrong cabin number.

they do not print them, they hand write them and it takes up time and slows everyone down. I would much rather have them printed, with my color printer, that shows deck and priority and have them already my bags so I can just open the trunk and be done with it.

nothing worse than being stuck behind a family with 8 bags who need to hand write every ticket and then attach.

If folk want to print baggage labels, why not?

It's their 20 cents.

And avoids any line for labels at the port.

And it's an advance reminder of their cabin number for those who are forgetful, especially for ships where the cabin number isn't quoted on the key.

If the cabin is changed and they can't be bothered to re-print, it's not a major operation to change the number with a marker-pen.

Each to their own. ;)

JB :)

Can you imagine if everyone let the port print their luggage tags? Say 4,000 pax with 2 bags each. That would be 8,000 bags they're having to do tags for. Would YOU want to stand in line for that? I surely wouldn't.

I'm taken aback by the question...in YOUR documents, its for YOUR convenience to be able to PRINT out your OWN tags. They are clearly set up with your name, date, ship cabin number and deck number CLEARLY IN LARGER PRINT, with NO mistake of taking a 1 for a 7 or 3 for a 5 or 8. Handwritten tags take time and are harder to read which COULD take longer for your bags to get to your cabin. If you are reassigned a cabin, it is already noted on the manifest and bags are rerouted quickly. Unless you somehow lose your printed tags, or gain an extra bag, then I can see using a handwritten tag. But not printing your own, that's downright lazy and rude.

They will print them for you at the dock, and I am sure their tags will be much sturdier than the ones you can print out. Just give them your cabin number.

Plus we had our cabin changed. I would have had to print them all over again as the originals would have had the wrong cabin number.

When and where did you have luggage tags printed for you at the dock? You drop your luggage off to porters before checking in, and I have never seen porters carrying printers.

Edited by Aquahound

When and where did you have luggage tags printed for you at the dock? You drop your luggage off to porters before checking in, and I have never seen porters carrying printers.

This. I have never seen a porter with a printer. EM

To original poster, if you change cabins, it’s easy enough to call and they reissue or yeah, you can fill out handwritten ones at the dock. I’d rather have one from RC with the deck shown, position on the deck shown. PS The printer at the dock is you, not a printer.

Someone mentioned the name is on the ones they provide, but it isn’t. You write it in the provided space or you use Adobe Acrobat Reader and put your name there before printing. I use the plastic holders with steel attachers. I put one on my purse and my carry on, in case I were to put it down somewhere, it would be easy to identify (but I never have). Wait, that would be two more to handwrite.

To each his/her own, and if OP wants to stand at the pier to write carefully all the info, that’s what he/she should do. Mine will be dropped off quickly, and look nice and neat like this:

f11a5a4fbd2b8c6c838028ebc2aeae46.png

We print them on Heavy duty stock and insert in a plastic sleeve. Less chance of them falling off. We always put two on each suitecase handle. Never had a problem and easy to read. If you fly, put them on after your flight.
We print on regular paper, then use shipping tape to wrap it. They are never going to fall off, they won't even pull off.[emoji16]

As to op's question, I guess I'd ask why not. It's easy, it cost almost nothing and I know that it's color coded and easy to read to ensure delivery to my room without a delay.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The luggage drop-off area is one of the most chaotic areas of a cruise ship terminal, especially if they are dealing with multiple ships.

I have no desire to hang around trying to clearly write multiple luggage tags. You take up space inconveniencing the longshoremen and other pax. BTW, I also have never seen the ability to print luggage tags at the dock, unless you go and find the cruise line's office, where they might have the ability, but doubt they would have the time.

We attach the colour coded tags just before heading to the port, which makes drop off easy and also helps the onboard crew quickly identify approximately what part of the ship to send the cases.

Yes, cabins could change, but how often does this happen after you depart for the port? We have cruised extensively and it has never happened to us.

They don't print them, they hand write in the info. We had to have this done once due to not being able to find our printed labels. I wouldn't do it on purpose though.

I can't imagine printing luggage tags. Total waste of my time and money. I can hand write my tags faster than my printer can print them.

You write fast! When I have 4 suitcases to go, my printer can print 4 luggage tags faster than I can write my name, cabin number, which side of the ship, and which end of the ship I am on as well as the deck. Not to mention with FTTF it's easier for me to print that rather than trying to draw the logo.

They don't print them, they hand write in the info. We had to have this done once due to not being able to find our printed labels. I wouldn't do it on purpose though.

I realize that. But the OP said they can be printed, so I'm wondering how/when they saw this, or where they heard this.

We only did it once. After that we simply filled out a tag on the dock. took all of 30 seconds.

No longer an issue for us since we switched to carry on only.

Whatever works for you is fine. Some people enjoy making a project out of it. No harm in that.

Why wouldn't you print them? That's part of the precruise excitement.

Exactly! I have everything I need to print and laminate the tags. I like to put 2 on each suitcase in case one gets torn off (I have seen luggage tags lying on the floor). I attach mine with heavy duty reusable tag holders. All in all only costs me 20 or 30 cents. I don't need to do that with Celebrity as they still provide preprinted tags.

I didn't even realize people handwrote them. It seems like a big risk in terms of the porters being able to easily read them. If everyone has the same printed tags supplied by the ship with the color group, name, and cabin number in the same places and at the same font sizes, surely that makes it way easier for the porters to get things organized? Rather than trying to work out what number someone's written in the midst of the chaos? Or if they've written the number and the name rather than the name and then number? And so forth? Ugh. I print mine off in advance and bring a plastic sleeve (the kind they sell online, with the stainless steel loop). It's legible and secure, and it looks nice.

Because when I get to the dock all I want to do is throw by bags at the porters and get on the ship. I don't want to wait in line for tags to be printed.

If the cruise line doesn't provide (mail) luggage tags I print them. To each their own. I don't care that some cruisers elect not to print off their luggage tags. :rolleyes:

To each their own. I don't care that some cruisers elect not to print off their luggage tags. :rolleyes:

I bet you'd care if you got behind a couple of groups trying to write out the tags, Oh you need a pen, Oh and a flat surface to write them out, then attach to the bags, all the while you are standing behind them while they hold up the baggage handlers and other pax trying to get through.

OH and I bet....IF THEY MAKE A MISTAKE while writing out the tags, like transposing their cabin number, and their bags get lost....They will be screaming loud and clear....its the ships fault....

I print them at home because I like to. I then put them in plastic sleeves and attach them to my bag. It means the trip is finally here and it makes me smile.

I am always a little bit of a mess at the terminal, or any really crowded venue for that matter. So much going on. All those people, all the visual input. All that chaos and confusion. If I waited til I got there, I would with absolute certainty mess it up. Write on the wrong line, transpose the numbers.

Print them at home, it's done.