The Celebrity Revolution

upwarduk

Pricing varies as do tastes.. We decided not to sail M class ships anymore ( before the announcement) due to systems issues on our last Infinity cruise...AQ class. But definitely agree M Class ships sorely needed some type of facelift,,,

We like S Class ships and AQ class, and will see how it goes after the changes are made,,.

For now we have 2 booked on EDGE, and then will try Oceania mostly due to an itin we like,..

Please direct us where we can get what you tout for $1400 total for 2 people for a 7 day cruise? Or $2000 for a 10 day cruise? Or, our normal, a 14 day cruise for $2800? Can't find anything remotely near that range, even in the Caribbean, where we don't sail..

I'm sorry to have gotten this thread off the OP's topic but I wanted to answer this question as it relates to the natural progression of the convo regarding 'Celebrity and value' topic . Going forward though out of respect I'll stick to the topic at hand.

Caribbean indeed is where we're cruising and I know that's likely best value option these days so in all fairness we're prob not comparing apples to apples.

I tried to make it very clear because it's sometimes hard to know what someone is including when per person prices are discussed - some things below are a cost (something we had to pay outright for) some are perks (something we got for free) so hopefully reading this isn't clear as mud...?

Silhouette Dec 9, 2018 Southern Caribbean 12 night: ttl pp = $179

Per person price includes the following:

3 Verandas rooms - 2C, 1 room for a solo traveler so minus one port/tax charge

Classic package x4, one of us doesn't drink (but we still claim her) - included by Celebrity

Perk: standard gratuities, included from TA (value $870)

Perk: additional OBC from TA (using for specialty dining)

$636 - Cost to upgrade to Prem bev package x4 done last week during 20% off sale

$150 - Cost we built in for additional specialty dining that OBC won't cover

$1000 - Cost we built in for additional cash gratuities

Price does not include shore excursions - we all do different things so that's dependent on the person but my daughter's estimate based on her planning and current bookings is that they will spend about $350/pp for the 6 of the 7 ports (staying on board for one port) she has a mix of chartered boat to beach trips, cab to beach trips, one island resort fee visit and a kayaking tour.

I'm sorry to have gotten this thread off the OP's topic but I wanted to answer this question as it relates to the natural progression of the convo regarding 'Celebrity and value' topic . Going forward though out of respect I'll stick to the topic at hand.

Caribbean indeed is where we're cruising and I know that's likely best value option these days so in all fairness we're prob not comparing apples to apples.

I tried to make it very clear because it's sometimes hard to know what someone is including when per person prices are discussed - some things below are a cost (something we had to pay outright for) some are perks (something we got for free) so hopefully reading this isn't clear as mud...?

Silhouette Dec 9, 2018 Southern Caribbean 12 night: ttl pp = $179

Per person price includes the following:

3 Verandas rooms - 2C, 1 room for a solo traveler so minus one port/tax charge

Classic package x4, one of us doesn't drink (but we still claim her) - included by Celebrity

Perk: standard gratuities, included from TA (value $870)

Perk: additional OBC from TA (using for specialty dining)

$636 - Cost to upgrade to Prem bev package x4 done last week during 20% off sale

$150 - Cost we built in for additional specialty dining that OBC won't cover

$1000 - Cost we built in for additional cash gratuities

Price does not include shore excursions - we all do different things so that's dependent on the person but my daughter's estimate based on her planning and current bookings is that they will spend about $350/pp for the 6 of the 7 ports (staying on board for one port) she has a mix of chartered boat to beach trips, cab to beach trips, one island resort fee visit and a kayaking tour.

Just to highlight, you are quoting for one of the cheapest dates in the cruising calendar, in the least expensive areas. If only those prices were available in Europe in the summer months, I would be booking too. I can actually sail for 2 weeks on Princess compared to 7 nights on X next year, which is what others are highlighting (bubble comment) and I’m not getting any improved service/vacation. In fact, even after the Revolution, I’ll be getting less public space as I don’t travel in suites. Unfortunately, I’m in the younger demographic you are informing me X is wanting, and have to sail in the peak season with children.

I take it you have always sailed at this time in previous years on X and so your costs have varied little over the years? Even long standing X cheerleaders, who have sailed over 100 times with X, have stated they have no current reservations for next year. But as you say, the bean counters are not interested in their views, it’s only the bottom line that counts - after all, they are a business. Just hope they can maintain those high prices before many pax decide to look elsewhere and then X have to reduce prices to well below the ‘going rate’ to fill the ships. With many US pax being able to cancel their bookings, right up to FP date without charge, then X won’t really know what inventory they actually have left until 90 days out anyway.

Pricing varies as do tastes.. We decided not to sail M class ships anymore ( before the announcement) due to systems issues on our last Infinity cruise...AQ class. But definitely agree M Class ships sorely needed some type of facelift,,,

We like S Class ships and AQ class, and will see how it goes after the changes are made,,.

For now we have 2 booked on EDGE, and then will try Oceania mostly due to an itin we like,..

Haha, I'm getting attacked from M class cheerleaders elsewhere. I haven't written them off completely because there are still itineraries on my bucket list that they do cover. However we buy on value and not price, so an M class sailing would have to be priced accordingly to get us back onboard and almost certainly suite class after all of the cutbacks that have been seen in recent years.

They are old, but more importantly they have genuine issues that impact the enjoyment of passengers and so no longer deliver the experience that Miami try to sell IMHO.

I know M class fan boys and fan girls will disagree and state that they are wonderful and that everything is "top notch" but there are many much better ships out there right now. Celebrity know this, hence creating this very program!

Haha, I'm getting attacked from M class cheerleaders elsewhere. I haven't written them off completely because there are still itineraries on my bucket list that they do cover. However we buy on value and not price, so an M class sailing would have to be priced accordingly to get us back onboard and almost certainly suite class after all of the cutbacks that have been seen in recent years.

They are old, but more importantly they have genuine issues that impact the enjoyment of passengers and so no longer deliver the experience that Miami try to sell IMHO.

I know M class fan boys and fan girls will disagree and state that they are wonderful and that everything is "top notch" but there are many much better ships out there right now. Celebrity know this, hence creating this very program!

They might have diff views if their cabins had AC issues that recurred, sewage hallway or cabin smell...At least the mildew in showers and on clotheslines should be gone when they are refurbed .

There are many choices and preferences out there...so far we have done okay with X for the most part.

Just to highlight, you are quoting for one of the cheapest dates in the cruising calendar, in the least expensive areas. If only those prices were available in Europe in the summer months, I would be booking too. I can actually sail for 2 weeks on Princess compared to 7 nights on X next year, which is what others are highlighting (bubble comment) and I’m not getting any improved service/vacation. In fact, even after the Revolution, I’ll be getting less public space as I don’t travel in suites. Unfortunately, I’m in the younger demographic you are informing me X is wanting, and have to sail in the peak season with children.

I take it you have always sailed at this time in previous years on X and so your costs have varied little over the years? Even long standing X cheerleaders, who have sailed over 100 times with X, have stated they have no current reservations for next year. But as you say, the bean counters are not interested in their views, it’s only the bottom line that counts - after all, they are a business. Just hope they can maintain those high prices before many pax decide to look elsewhere and then X have to reduce prices to well below the ‘going rate’ to fill the ships. With many US pax being able to cancel their bookings, right up to FP date without charge, then X won’t really know what inventory they actually have left until 90 days out anyway.

Yeah - my point was that I feel that for the money we get a great family vacation at a price that's hard to beat. I do understand that we have the luxury of traveling during a down time to an inexpensive region. I work for a European wine importer & November/December is the 'dead zone' in my world so yes, that's often when we vaca. Also yes, it happens to be the cheapest time for the cheapest cruise destination (and we're pretty simple - we love palm trees and beaches when it's cold at home plus I go to Europe enough for work.)

We've not cruised 100 times on X - just a few (also carnival long ago, RC, HAL and Disney) but if I'd have vested the time/energy/devotion/cash as you & many others have it's possible I'd be equally unhappy too - who knows?

Maybe X is shooting themselves in the foot - seems like they've traditionally filled a very nice niche market, sort of a high end mass-market/cusp of luxury cruise line. Many seem to feel that the prices are verging on that luxury range while quality is slipping deeper into the mass-market category. We don't see that but we focus on a value time of year to a value region and besides, X is still new to us, I admit that.

For many I suppose the rub here is that there isn't another obvious option so it's pretty easy for me to say, "choose another line" when there simply is not another clear choice that offers the value of X in her hay day. Plus, as a valuable customer - one wants to be treated and *valued* as such', not have to build status from the ground up all over again someplace new... (Maybe some of the luxury lines will offer a status-match to X high status cruisers like American hotel chains and airlines sometimes do???)

I've been (because I may be insane) taking detailed notes of inventory before/after FP date - very interesting to watch how almost full ships suddenly have surprisingly significant availability. Can't imagine that's not a signal to X...?

Anyway, on the 'updo' topic - personally I like the look of the renderings - to me they are clean and modern but hard to say what it will actually look like in person. I hope this is a step in the right direction. If not and we become disappointed with our experience we'll do something else. Ideally though this continues to work for our very diverse, multi-generation family vacation and we'll continue to be happy with the value/quality of X. I guess that's what we all want, right...?

I'll try to offer a different perspective of the 'Revolution'. I am a big Royal Caribbean fan, and have never had much interest in sailing Celebrity. With that said, these refurbishments plus the Edge have made me much more apt to try them.

I've always wanted to sail the 7 Night Bermuda cruise from NJ (as Royal doesn't offer this), but the fact that it was on Summit always stopped us. The dark/drab colors and the dated style of the Summit's interiors were a big negative. After seeing these renderings, (and assuming all balcony cabins are definitely getting completely redone) I would be much more apt to sail Summit, and maybe other Celebrity ships in the future. Edge has been on the top of my list for awhile, but the 2019/20 dates and itineraries didn't work out.

Regarding the interior spaces, I love them. Seems there is a lot of negativity towards Kelly Hoppen's designs, but she does a lot right and has been responsible for some major projects. She deserves way more credit than you all are giving her. The designs are sleek and incorporate lots of neutrals with smalls pops of color, successfully bringing a much needed bright and airiness to the ships. The fixtures are great too. This is only my personal opinion, but I am an interior designer. :):confused:

Think some of the renderings look more elegant than current ship decor. A little less of all the gaudy purple hues, overly dark and far too often used drab burgundy (every-flipping-where) and excessive gold trimmed everything would be a welcome change in our book.

Lots of (negative) speculation here - there's a lot that no one save the top brass at Celebrity knows for sure. Maybe it's a good idea to take a deep breath and wait for something tangible to be angry about?

That said, reading some of these posts I wonder, if some aren't happy w/ Celebrity, why not just go to another line? Why dwell on something that seems to bring so much (vacation) unhappiness?

If Celebrity doesn't update their fleet there would be rampant complaining posts on CC that the ships were getting old and tired. OH WAIT - there ARE many posts that mention this exact complaint... Yet - if they do update - Celebrity is being disrespectful to the glorious days of yester-year (and the obligatory cruise ship color deep-purple-burgundy.)

If prices stayed the same - posters would complain even more than they do now that food and service are not what they used to be. Yet when Celebrity raises prices it's completely unacceptable. Not sure though how it's possible to maintain let alone improve food quality and service w/ out the appropriately increasing cost associated with those services? Many cruisers are in business themselves - costs increase do we really expect Celebrity to remain relevant and maintain a standard of quality and lower fares?

For us, the ability to take an all inclusive vacation (lodging, meals, tips, beverages) in a veranda cabin for less than $200/day still presents a fantastic value. When that changes we'll look for a new option though still hold on to our very fond memories of our Celebrity cruises. Until then - we're still very happy otherwise why waste our hard earned $?

It's a tough but real fact that Celebrity's current demographic will age out of cruising (that's me, my parents, my siblings, my cousins and probably some posters here) and it's simply smart, responsible business for Celebrity to try and appeal to a new customer base (my daughters, my nephews and nieces.)

What kind of business doesn't try to modernize - a dying business actually...

Change is hard for lots of people, especially when those changes rock our own personal comfort level but folks, resistance is futile...

THIS is one of the smartest, most accurate posts I've read on here in a very long time. Spot on.

And to those who doubt the $200/ day figure - yep, it's very real and that's our economics too. I'm an ex accountant. With classic alcohol package and gratuities thrown in, I can't find ANY pricing that is less than Celebrity because we book the cheap cabins. Interior on other cruise lines and OV on celebrity (lowest available to get the freebies).

If you book suites - yeah, maybe the pricing is better on other cruise lines. I wouldn't know. We're in the cabin to change clothes, take a shower or sleep. Never understood why somebody needs more (except MAYBE a balcony for certain scenic cruises in good weather.)

Regarding the interior spaces, I love them. Seems there is a lot of negativity towards Kelly Hoppen's designs, but she does a lot right and has been responsible for some major projects. She deserves way more credit than you all are giving her. The designs are sleek and incorporate lots of neutrals with smalls pops of color, successfully bringing a much needed bright and airiness to the ships. The fixtures are great too. This is only my personal opinion, but I am an interior designer. :):confused:

I like her work too. It's light airy and modern. A massive improvement on the dull and dated current offerings.

The decor is similar to the that on Britannia, the P&O ship. We took a short trip on her just to compare the decor to that of her sister ships on Princess (traditional finish). I did like the clean, fresh look, and although the new Edge / Revolution designs may not be to everyone's taste, I like what we have been shown so far.

I like her work too. It's light airy and modern. A massive improvement on the dull and dated current offerings
enjoyed by today's dull and dated customers who are no longer our target audience :cool:

The decor is similar to the that on Britannia, the P&O ship. We took a short trip on her just to compare the decor to that of her sister ships on Princess (traditional finish). I did like the clean, fresh look, and although the new Edge / Revolution designs may not be to everyone's taste, I like what we have been shown so far.

Similar to P&O :eek:! Shocked to hear that; a cruise line I previously would never have put in the same league as X :confused:.

I like her work too. It's light airy and modern. A massive improvement on the dull and dated current offerings.

I hate to tell you but this look has been used in almost every recent low end fix and flip. Not that there's anything wrong with it but it's already on the way out as far as style. It's also one of those looks that you can identify immediately as belonging to a certain time period.

All the new and refurbed apts in our area are sporting this look... like a dorm, Commanding high rents.,,..I personally think it is sterile and lacks warmth,....

My EDGE cabin will be filled with flowers and little extras to make it warm and a bit more plush,,,and we'll seek out the areas on board that are a bit less stark....more organic,

New CELEBRITY BROCHURE has arrived via snail mail. Very glossy.,. has info, PR and photo depictions of the REVOLUTION re-dos and a time line of when the ship's will be done. It's a nice PR piece.

The former Michaels Club ..M Class is labelled " The Retreat Lounge"...answering issue discussed on this thread, Also shows suites and a Veranda stateroom with traditional sliding door and open storage ,

Nothing elegant or lux.....just clean lines...and new on the surface!

Pics similar to what's been shown online but it is a nice brochure to browse ,,Best part for us was the pic of EDGE and Flora.

New CELEBRITY BROCHURE has arrived via snail mail. Very glossy.,. has info, PR and photo depictions of the REVOLUTION re-dos and a time line of when the ship's will be done. It's a nice PR piece.

The former Michaels Club ..M Class is labelled " The Retreat Lounge"...answering issue discussed on this thread, Also shows suites and a Veranda stateroom with traditional sliding door and open storage ,

Nothing elegant or lux.....just clean lines...and new on the surface!

Pics similar to what's been shown online but it is a nice brochure to browse ,,Best part for us was the pic of EDGE and Flora.

Disappointed that they did not create The Retreat in an area with a view.

I hate to tell you but this look has been used in almost every recent low end fix and flip. Not that there's anything wrong with it but it's already on the way out as far as style. It's also one of those looks that you can identify immediately as belonging to a certain time period.

I disagree. I think comparing it to a low end flip is extreme. Sure, it can be argued that it will be associated with this time period, but the same can be said about many interiors/architectural styles/decor.

Its more luxe than any apartment complexes I've seen. Yes, the overall style is similar, but the quality and overall design is different.

The current decor is ugly, boring, dark, and dated so anything is an improvement. The new style is modern and fresh, which is needed to attract new customers, which is exactly what Celebrity is trying to do.

Do you all really think you're better interior designers than Kelly Hoppen?

enjoyed by today's dull and dated customers who are no longer our target audience :cool:

How about for Celebrity Apex :-

Starboard = Kelly Hoppen?

Port Side = You and H Cat?

Trying to please 3,000 pax will be an impossible task after all. :D

Well Mabell, as you were once so fond of telling others on this very forum, if you don't like it, there are other cruise lines available. There's no one holding a gun to your head forcing you to sail on the new E class ships after all.

Alternatively you could always offer your services to LLP and see how that goes....

Well Mabell, as you were once so fond of telling others on this very forum, if you don't like it, there are other cruise lines available. There's no one holding a gun to your head forcing you to sail on the new E class ships after all.

Alternatively you could always offer your services to LLP and see how that goes....

First of all I never said I wouldn't sail on The E class ships, nor did I say I didn't like it. It looks clean and bright, just not particularly innovative and might not wear very well. Believe me if the day comes that I don't like it I'll be on my way. Until then I think I can comment on what my observations are.

I disagree. I think comparing it to a low end flip is extreme. Sure, it can be argued that it will be associated with this time period, but the same can be said about many interiors/architectural styles/decor.

Its more luxe than any apartment complexes I've seen. Yes, the overall style is similar, but the quality and overall design is different.

The current decor is ugly, boring, dark, and dated so anything is an improvement. The new style is modern and fresh, which is needed to attract new customers, which is exactly what Celebrity is trying to do.

Do you all really think you're better interior designers than Kelly Hoppen?

It's a style that was new and fresh about 5 years ago and as I said "there's nothing wrong with it" but I personally don't think it will wear well. When you are spending that kind of money you might want something that is at the beginning of a cycle, not the end. You might also want something that the passengers won't destroy in 5 minutes.

It's just my opinion but I have been in the Real Estate Development business for 47 years and have designed and built more than a few projects as well as many fix and flips.

To prior posters..not Ma Bell

I see no reason to turn rude or bait those who do not agree with them. We all have a right to form and express opinions on Cruise Critic and can respectfully agree to disagree.

Regardless of who the designer may be , to me it appears in the ads to be sterile, cold and dorm masculine. Not enough balance of yin/ yang, not much color

We already have 2 EDGE cruises booked so still spending money with X..I expect there are things we will love and other things not so much...

I will not get into any arguments about subjective tastes as that is not productive....

All I know about design I've learned by viewing shows on HGTV. With that being said I feel that Celebrity tried to keep it safe and not risk being on the cutting edge of design. Perhaps the Art installations and how they accessorize spaces will transform what looks to me as rather boring areas. Perhaps the design concept is just an attempt to make you look outward. I'm most concerned about the possibly reduced public spaces and what might become a ship with a very crowded feeling. I'm interested to see the final product, but not at the current prices and will wait until I actually experience it to make a personal judgment.