C&A program outdated?

If you had 5 drinks you could meet friends in other bars.

When we stayed in Suites and went in the CL lots of people were bragging and handing business cards out so yes I agree the DL has more of a proper cruisers atmosphere.

I have found most bars on the ships have groups or couples that want to interact with each other, not someone else.

To me the CL and DL are about the same, we like both of them depending much on who the concierge is . The different one was Suite lounge on the big ships There the Star and Sky class people are always there with big families.

As far as the business cards go. I think you are seeing personal info cards. They are an excellent way to get your info to others and for them to get it to you. I remember the write it on a napkin days. Much much better with a card. They are great for sharing photos etc.

We have made lasting friendships over the years with people we met in the lounge. One couple has cruised with us 9 times so far. And are booked on 8 of our future cruises.

Actually all but one of our 17 booked cruises are with friends we met on the ship.

If we had 5 Free drinks useable at any bar, we probably wouldn’t get a drink package. On a 7 day cruise that’s around $800 for the two of us. Not only would Royal not receive our $$, they would be giving us 5 Free drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But the "free" drinks are only good from 4:30 PM till 8 PM

Royal has increased the "free" drinks on a few occasions. I'm sure they will be doing it on the Presidents cruise this year (Harmony 09/29/18). There were over 4500 C&A members (192 Pinnacles) so far.

I have found most bars on the ships have groups or couples that want to interact with each other, not someone else.

To me the CL and DL are about the same, we like both of them depending much on who the concierge is . The different one was Suite lounge on the big ships There the Star and Sky class people are always there with big families.

As far as the business cards go. I think you are seeing personal info cards. They are an excellent way to get your info to others and for them to get it to you. I remember the write it on a napkin days. Much much better with a card. They are great for sharing photos etc.

We have made lasting friendships over the years with people we met in the lounge. One couple has cruised with us 9 times so far. And are booked on 8 of our future cruises.

Actually all but one of our 17 booked cruises are with friends we met on the ship.

We did get several invites to come and stay on people's ranches etc and met interesting people as well in the CL.

Usually because we are dealing with people all the time in our jobs we normally enjoy just being alone together on holiday.

Seriously, give a thought to being a one trick pony, as OB said, they didn’t demote, they changed the lounge to a different name and a different program. There are still ships with CL, cruise them. No Demotion!

JC

There has definitely been a demotion on some ships, especially on the Allure and the Oasis. Both of those ships once had wonderful Concierge Clubs that were in the same place where the Diamond Club is now but had additional perks that disappeared when they were converted into Diamond Clubs. Just as an example, those clubs used to serve lunch when they were Concierge Clubs. On those same ships, Diamond Plus members were also excluded from the reserved seats at the ice show around the same time. When they take away a perk, that is a demotion and the name change is just a way to make the loss less obvious.

There has definitely been a demotion on some ships, especially on the Allure and the Oasis. Both of those ships once had wonderful Concierge Clubs that were in the same place where the Diamond Club is now but had additional perks that disappeared when they were converted into Diamond Clubs. Just as an example, those clubs used to serve lunch when they were Concierge Clubs. On those same ships, Diamond Plus members were also excluded from the reserved seats at the ice show around the same time. When they take away a perk, that is a demotion and the name change is just a way to make the loss less obvious.
Diamond members got a much nicer lounge, though.

STAR Class takes all the good seats now so it really doesn't matter

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Great explanation.

Yes. I made Diamond 20+ yrs ago I went on Voyager's 8th sailing, then numbered them back then. Voyager cruise #008. As Diamond was tops used CL, sat with Suite guests in waiting lounges and was always 1st on/off ship. Every cruise had a Formal Suit and Tie get together with Captain, Cruise Director, Doctor, Chief Engineer... Back then on Peak sailings at most 6-8 Diamonds on the newest ships so was almost a one on one... But now cruising(and Flying) has become cheaper, more affordable then was 30yrs ago, most people can do it. So lot of C&A members and many upper tier that they never had 20-30yrs ago...

They still number the voyages.

Do you book Royal just because of C&A? Will you pay a premium to Royal over other cruise lines because of C&A?

C&A is a major factor when booking. When I factor in those C&A benefits that we use the pricing is very good. I do not rule out cruising other lines but the benefits we receive from C&A gives them an edge and they will soon get better when we reach Pinnacle later this year. We are Elite on Princess but their benefits are not as good.

C&A is a major factor when booking. When I factor in those C&A benefits that we use the pricing is very good. I do not rule out cruising other lines but the benefits we receive from C&A gives them an edge and they will soon get better when we reach Pinnacle later this year. We are Elite on Princess but their benefits are not as good.
Congratulations in advance for achieving Pinnacle status.

C&A benefits give RC the edge over other lines when we decide who to sail with.

We are Elite on Princess too and high tier on P&O.

Do you book Royal just because of C&A? Will you pay a premium to Royal over other cruise lines because of C&A?

I book RCI because I like the ships and the product A LOT and the C&A perks are very welcomed. If there were no C&A program maybe I would be tempted to see if I like some other line's ships and product more. And though I can't really comment on other lines' product and can say that their ships don't lure me like RCI's ships do. My biggest issue is that with limited vacation time I would rather go with a product I know and very much enjoy rather than risk a sub par cruise experience. RCI, even with glitches here and there, has never let me down.

Thank you to everyone. Getting other views is very helpful. Sometimes when you're use to looking at things one way you get prejudiced by it.

I still think it is more of a Reward Program, but that doesn't mean it can't encourage loyalty in some cruisers.

Diamond members got a much nicer lounge, though.

STAR Class takes all the good seats now so it really doesn't matter

I have seen star class families turned away from the Diamond lounge. At peak times.

A few months ago. The lounge was packed no seats upstairs or down. The concierge was standing by the door. And a family tried to come in. They had black Star class cards. They were politely informed that there was a lounge for them on deck 17. That they could not use the diamond lounge.

We were just discussing this same thing. You can never make everyone happy, but the RC loyalty program no longer provides us any incentive to remain loyal to RC. Of course, as we've gotten older we've ventured out and tried other lines. We really enjoy Celebrity and find it's usually cheaper to sail with them and get a product that we enjoy more, but we still sail RC when the price/itinerary is right for us. Any day at sea is better than a day at work....no matter what line.

I have seen star class families turned away from the Diamond lounge. At peak times.

A few months ago. The lounge was packed no seats upstairs or down. The concierge was standing by the door. And a family tried to come in. They had black Star class cards. They were politely informed that there was a lounge for them on deck 17. That they could not use the diamond lounge.

It's only nicer than the former DL. Unless visiting friends why would a Star passenger go there?

Personally I feel that the DL is a loyalty lounge, so they would need to be Diamond C&A members to access. Do you know if there cards opened the door?

I book RCI because I like the ships and the product A LOT and the C&A perks are very welcomed. If there were no C&A program maybe I would be tempted to see if I like some other line's ships and product more. And though I can't really comment on other lines' product and can say that their ships don't lure me like RCI's ships do. My biggest issue is that with limited vacation time I would rather go with a product I know and very much enjoy rather than risk a sub par cruise experience. RCI, even with glitches here and there, has never let me down.
We tried basically all massmarket including premium massmarket (Cunard, Celebrity, Princess, Holland)

Only one line let us down (my opinion. Mostly because of overall ambiance) was Carnival. Tried 3 times, didn't like any of them.

We are getting up in our "status" with many of them. We feel Royal has the best perks for 3rd status and other nice things. Not the best in every category, but a very quality line. I'd place it in between premium massmarket and the rest of massmarket.

I think you have it nailed. So if you want exclusive, you'll need to cruise with Gold cards, i.e. Pinnacle or in Suites

Or, the other reality is that most lines, including RCI are starting to put out a more premium offering on board. Suites with additional services, private lounge, specialty dining included. I am willing to pay for a premium product. I don't necessarily want to spend all my time cruising the same line over and over and over again. So I would rather pay for the premium product than continue to chase some silly status and thereby limit my vacation options.

It's only nicer than the former DL. Unless visiting friends why would a Star passenger go there?

Personally I feel that the DL is a loyalty lounge, so they would need to be Diamond C&A members to access. Do you know if there cards opened the door?

Agree...I no longer have a CL to go to on Oasis class. :( Why should suites guests, that have not attained Diamond level, have access to the Diamond Lounge which is already too crowded being the single lounge now for D's and D+ that are not in suites?

I have no idea why they were there. Maybe they were newbies and heard about it and wanted to try it. The doors were opening and closing so much that night you didn't need a key to get in. Every seat in the place including chair arms and the seat for the computers were occupied. The concierge had given up her chair and was standing by the entrance checking people.. It was the most crowded I have ever seen. I made a beeline there from the muster drill. And there were already 30 or 40 people there that night.

Or, the other reality is that most lines, including RCI are starting to put out a more premium offering on board. Suites with additional services, private lounge, specialty dining included. I am willing to pay for a premium product. I don't necessarily want to spend all my time cruising the same line over and over and over again. So I would rather pay for the premium product than continue to chase some silly status and thereby limit my vacation options.

Why do you continue to degrade our preferences? I'm not chasing a "silly status", I happen to like the product. You can do what you like, but how I travel is not silly.

After 30 cruises, I still have many ports and ships to explore on RCI. Any status that I have attained is certainly welcomed, and benefits me financially.

Why do you continue to degrade our preferences? I'm not chasing a "silly status", I happen to like the product. You can do what you like, but how I travel is not silly.

After 30 cruises, I still have many ports and ships to explore on RCI. Any status that I have attained is certainly welcomed, and benefits me financially.

Whoa! Easy there.... I'm not degrading YOUR preferences, I'm saying it isn't for me. I don't want my vacation plans to be dictated by the pursuit of some loyalty tier. I'm not saying you do- heck I don't even KNOW you! But read enough here, and it is clear that a LOT of people do exactly that.

Maybe try decaf?:rolleyes:

Great that the concierge handled the situation so nicely. We have many D+ friends that we enjoy visiting with but because of the crowding in the DL we go to the SL or CL to free up seating for those folks.

Whoa! Easy there.... I'm not degrading YOUR preferences, I'm saying it isn't for me. I don't want my vacation plans to be dictated by the pursuit of some loyalty tier. I'm not saying you do- heck I don't even KNOW you! But read enough here, and it is clear that a LOT of people do exactly that.

Maybe try decaf?:rolleyes:

The tone is still there. Maybe YOU should reread your posts. Try decaf, LOL, yet another example of your tone.

Lots more I would love to point out, but I'm really busy chasing a silly status.