Celebrity changed?

oldmovieguy

Have not cruised Celebrity for over four years having discovered the more relaxed and laid back stay of NCL. Seen a Few Celebrity Cruises which appeal from an itinerary point of view but was wondering whether the Celebrity ‘style’ had changed much, more small bars, more intimate entertaining a la NCL style?

Have not cruised Celebrity for over four years having discovered the more relaxed and laid back stay of NCL. Seen a Few Celebrity Cruises which appeal from an itinerary point of view but was wondering whether the Celebrity ‘style’ had changed much, more small bars, more intimate entertaining a la NCL style?

Actually, depends on what ship you are looking at and when. Celebrity is launching new ships and redoing in a major way all of their other ships. There is more nickel and dining but not as bad as NCL, the dress code has changed in the last four years and although more than four years their smoking policy is probably the best in the industry.

But Celebrity still has it's own identity.....thankfully!

Music and bands are subjective but not X's strong point...it has improved recently with not so many loud DJs and fewer endless loop tapes of odd music...

Stil lacks good Latin and Island bands, no Piano bar entertainment and ,,,has a good jazz group now and then,,

Havne’t cruised NCL so not sure what you describe as small bars, but I find most of the Celebrity bars to be quite inviting, and am able to find a nice intimate sitting area to enjoy our drinks and friendly discussions in the general areas of the bars. The only one that gets crowded is the Martini/Ice Bar. One bar that is a bit ‘small’ is the mid-ship bar on Deck 6 next to the Art Gallery on S-Class ships.

enjoy, Den

In my opinion what has changed the most since 4 years ago is the live music - less of it all the time it seems. It was happening before that, but lately it seems worse (maybe it's just me). Fewer entertainers, and less time playing than before. Other than the dress code relaxation, everything else seems about the same to me (and I sail X a lot)

Cruise lines are always changing but the basic architecture of the ships can't change much -- you won't find new small bars == where would they put them?

We have cruised Celebrity on 10, NCL on 6 and Royal C. on 1 cruise.

We find more similarities than differences between the three, particularly between Royal C. and Celebrity.

We find Celebrity to be more relaxed, less focused on water slides, and activities that appeal more to the young. My Son prefers NCL because if attracts more youthful passengers and activities after 10:30PM are more on NCL.

Celebrity wins on service and food, while Royal C. and NCL win on entertainment.

Royal C. doesn't price bundle and we find them generally more affordable than the other two lines these days. Still with Celebrity TA and repo cruises don't bundle and are still not pricey.

We love the free happy hours on Celebrity and Royal C. While NCL Platinum cruisers get no free happy hour, just a bottle of wine and a meal at a specialty restaurant.

Still, we pick our cruises more on itinerary and price, favoring Celebrity first, then Royal and then NCL.

I don’t know the category of room you usually book but if you book suites the Celebrity product has improved massively since four years ago.

There is a suite lounge, suite restaurant and a concierge offering a vastly improved experience. The suite perks are set to improve further as the ships are revamped by the addition of a suite outdoor space...

Obviously the negative of this is Michael’s Club (concierge lounge) is not now open to everyone, one part of the MDR is now Luminae and a general deck area will become suite only....

If you like intimate bars with private entertainment several evenings per cruise the suite route may suit you...

Edited by chemmo

We've only one 14 day trips on Eclipse. Entertainment has diminished somewhat. MDR food declined so much in one year, we tried a 10 day trip on Oceania Riviera this past Jan. The food was exquisite! We booked another 14 days on that ship this Jan. We're foodies & in the business, so that's important to us. Celebrity specialty rest. are still very good. Most Itineraries are still very good. We'll probably be back & may try Princess some more as well. Though the "formal" night dress code is now Evening Chic, most pax still dress up pretty nice on the longer cruises. NCL is too casual for us & the food in the MDR is generally the worst in the industry. It does not mean you'll get garbage, but compared to Celebrity most will be disappointed. If you want "uber" casual & decent entertainment, you'' probably do alright.

It's all fake news. Celebrity still brings a tray of all of the desserts to the table and you select which one you want. They have the baked alaska parade....the midnight buffet and the grand buffet are still on the schedule, when you embark, there is someone to take you to your stateroom, passengers are turned away from dining if they aren't wearing a suit or tuxedo on formal nights, live music in the dining room, string trio playing in the lounges and the a cappella group performs at various times......no nothing has changed.

It's all fake news. Celebrity still brings a tray of all of the desserts to the table and you select which one you want. They have the baked alaska parade....the midnight buffet and the grand buffet are still on the schedule, when you embark, there is someone to take you to your stateroom, passengers are turned away from dining if they aren't wearing a suit or tuxedo on formal nights, live music in the dining room, string trio playing in the lounges and the a cappella group performs at various times......no nothing has changed.

The person reading this may not know it's joke!

Celebrity may or may not have changed but, since I was last here a couple years ago, the CC Celebrity Forum has not. Confusion and disagreement about dress codes, confusion and disagreement about beverage packages, confusion and disagreement about Blu... It's GREAT to be back! :')

(in all fairness, I benefitted greatly from the advice I received here on both of my grand total of 2 cruises - thanks to all :*)

I said it was fake news :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums