Alaska Cruise - Main Dining Room Question

For those of you who have sailed on RCI to/from Alaska... is the dinner attire in the MDR basically relaxed? I normally "spruce myself up" for dinner, but I sense that the Alaska sailings are far more casual. Also, are there designated formal nights on these sailings? Any info is appreciated, as I'll be on Explorer out of Seattle WA on 8/31. Thanks! :)

From Alaska headed south-bound a few weeks ago on Radiance we saw jeans on non-formal nights, and a few pair of shorts. It was record temperature highs though.

On formal night we saw 2 tuxedos, a few tie/shirt/pant combos, maybe a couple full suits, and many kakhi pants with a collared shirt (pullover and button up) combos. There was a country night on our cruise but we had no idea that it was going to happen.

It wasn't Explorer but it should give you an idea of what to expect.

For those of you who have sailed on RCI to/from Alaska... is the dinner attire in the MDR basically relaxed? I normally "spruce myself up" for dinner, but I sense that the Alaska sailings are far more casual. Also, are there designated formal nights on these sailings? Any info is appreciated, as I'll be on Explorer out of Seattle WA on 8/31. Thanks! :)

There are designated formal nights, but dress suggestions are not enforced by the cruise line, so you will see the full range of attire. Any difference in attire is probably more due to older demographic that is typical for Alaska sailings. Still, no one really cares anymore, so wear whatever you like.

Being that the clothes you normally have to take on an Alaska cruise includes much more bulky wear than a Carib cruise...we opted to leave the formal attire out to save space. DH wore dress slacks, dress shirt, and a tie for formal night....no tux on that one. I just took a couple of simple dresses.

And indeed yes, the Alaska cruises are less dressy. See lots of fleece shirts and jeans.

We were on the Radiance mid July (Northbound) and did not see many really dress up. Never saw any shorts in the dining room but we did see some jeans but still looked nice. It really wouldn't have bothered me to see shorts either. Once everyone is sitting down, no one would be able to tell anyway.

Hubby wore khakis and a dress shirt and I wore pants myself too. Honestly - it is not a big deal either way.

We have done a couple of Alaska sailings and I would agree, at least going by ourselves, that it is a lot less 'dressy' than other cruises. Like a Caribbean cruise, you will see a lot of flowery shirts and more shorts in the MDR, not much of that on an Alaskan cruise.

Myself, I wear flannel at home, so why not wear it on an Alaskan cruise.

I did wear my 'dressy' flannel for formal nights though. ;);););).

Cheers

Len

Was on the Radiance in June, and dinner attire was definitely different than in the Caribbean :) While some people dressed up, there were also many people in jeans and regular shirts. On formal nights, I wore a dress and the husband wore dress pants and a button up shirt. On other nights, he wore a clean shirt and jeans or dress pants... I wore jeans or leggings and a nice shirt. Never felt out of place :)

We saw everything on Explorer last week. However, the host did tell one main wearing a tank top that he needed to change or put on his jacket. I didn't see as many people in super casual clothes as I would on a Caribbean cruise, though.

Was on the Radiance in June, and dinner attire was definitely different than in the Caribbean :) While some people dressed up, there were also many people in jeans and regular shirts. On formal nights, I wore a dress and the husband wore dress pants and a button up shirt. On other nights, he wore a clean shirt and jeans or dress pants... I wore jeans or leggings and a nice shirt. Never felt out of place :)

Cool, thanks.

Lumberjack shirts and wife beater tee shirts.... every night. And baseball caps 🧢 worn at the table. Even on formal nights [emoji36][emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never beaten my wife (ex) or any lady so I have no idea what one wears to do same. Could you please let us know what dress one wears to beat ones wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We call them tank tops... didn’t know wearing a tank top was necessary to properly beat ones wife??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wifebeater shirts are typically not a typical tank top, but the white ribbed sleeveless UNDERSHIRT that fits tight.d31b27b9b9eb73bcc1521fc39260eda5.jpg