When you ask your cabin steward to empty the minibar...

is it normal or unavoidable to have those little bottles shoved under the bed?

On our first cruise last year, that's where he stowed the contents of the fridge, something we didn't realize until we started using our bags for laundry. It seems like a bad idea, but we had a lot of trouble with poor service from him, so I’m wondering whether that particular thing was the norm. I'd rather have the mini bottles out of our way, but if under the bed is where they must go, okay.

A very first-world problem, yes, but I’d hate to end up paying for something that breaks because I can't see where they are.

Nope. Under the bed it goes (or into a nightstand).

Then you ask yourself, how much do you reallllllly need that fridge empty.

Thanks. Yes, that's the other part of it. While we did put a few things in it, like when we asked for too much from the free breakfast delivery, we usually didn't eat what little we put there.

When I was on the Breakaway for the first time (Feb, 2017) and asked for the fridge to be emptied, the room steward bundled everything into a pillowcase and stored the contents in the one of the roll out drawers under the couch. (balcony room)

On our second time on the Breakaway, didn't bother to have things removed.

Would not be surprised if this was standard procedure not only for cruise lines but hotels as well.

Standard. Maybe one time we did not noticed the contents anywhere, but that could have been us and a good room steward (or perhaps a storage room across the hall...).

Same as with bringing in the embarkation sheet cover and such on the second last day to make the work easier.

Standard. Maybe one time we did not noticed the contents anywhere, but that could have been us and a good room steward (or perhaps a storage room across the hall...).

Same as with bringing in the embarkation sheet cover and such on the second last day to make the work easier.

Ours were stored inside the seat by the vanity (the seat top lifted up).

yes, they typically stash it somewhere. makes it easier on disembark day.

wehn we sail in a suite we have hte mini-fridge emptied and replaced with 2 jugs of water.

but in a regular room there is no point. you cant fit anything in those fridges in terms of leftovers. maybe a carton of unused milk, or a yogurt, that's about it.

I always have them empty the fridge and they always shove it under the bed. I do it for 2 reasons, I like to have my own drinks in there (water, soda, booze) and I also don't like those phantom mini bar charges showing up on my account after I've left the ship. About 50% of the time I would find charges on my account added after I got home. When I called they were usually minibar charges. They would remove them but I just got tired of calling to fix what seems like a policy of just adding crap and hoping no one notices.

We just always do it ourselves. Only takes two minutes or so and the steward is usually pretty busy on first day. I stick all the stuff in a drawer or two....or cabinet, depending on the room type. I then tell the steward where it all is so he can reload on the last night. And yes, we do use our fridge for our stuff. That mini bar stuff has got to be out of date and stale frequently. It goes in and out of the fridge constantly. I don't know anyone that uses the stuff, especially with the UBP now.

LOL you learn something every day. I had the fridge emptied once but never found it in the room and we pretty much used all the storage. I wonder where it was ;)

I had 2 odd things happen with the fridge though. Once I did take and drink a bottle of booze but they never charged me for it :p

We never use anything in the fridge but once after an excursion I had my mind on this diet pepsi that I knew was in the fridge. When we got to the cabin I was shocked that the can of diet pepsi was gone.... missing. Who would have taken it. I asked the butler and she told me the expiration date had expired and they were removing them from the fridge. Not sure if I ever bought that story but she brought me a can but begged me not to tell anyone she was giving me a can of diet pepsi :confused:

We are non-drinkers so it doesn't make sense to have alcohol in the fridge. In regular staterooms, our bottles of water fit in there and not much else. In a suite, we get the butler to bring our drinks of choice--V-8 and tonic water. We don't mix those either with each other or with other things.:pThere may have been an occasion when a dessert left a restaurant and was kept in there for later consumption. But I'm only saying that it "might" have happened.

I have never run across the location where the original contents of the fridge were stowed. It seems like we (mostly me) fill most of the cubbies in the staterooms with my "stuff". I think I need a bunch of stuff which I really don't. Next cruise, I may pay more attention to locating the storage...to what end I'm not sure. I just need to know.

I always request that the fridge be emptied. My recollection is that sometimes that happens before I get on board and sometimes it doesn't. I am grateful for whatever space I can get.

On our first cruise last year, that's where he stowed the contents of the fridge, something we didn't realize until we started using our bags for laundry. It seems like a bad idea, but we had a lot of trouble with poor service from him, so I’m wondering whether that particular thing was the norm. I'd rather have the mini bottles out of our way, but if under the bed is where they must go, okay.

A very first-world problem, yes, but I’d hate to end up paying for something that breaks because I can't see where they are.

It is not normal and it is avoidable.

Remember, if items in the mini-fridge go missing during your cruise, those items are charged to you. This is one of the reasons why many people ask that the mini-fridge be emptied.

IMHO, this means that the steward should remove the items from the room. If I wanted them in a drawer, in the closet, or under the bed, I'd just do it myself.

Most times, when the steward moves the items to another location in the room it is because they just want to keep them nearby so that when you leave at the end of the cruise it is easier on them to replace the items.

Now this is the important part...

If the items are stored under the bed, in the closet, in the drawer, etc, it is the same as if they were still in the mini-fridge. ANY ITEMS THAT GO "MISSING" ARE STILL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND WILL BE CHARGED TO THE ROOM. Having the steward remove the items from the room absolves you of all responsibility for the items.

I have found that if you politely insist, the steward has no issue with removing everything from the room.

We have never, ever had them put it under the bed. Usually we find a spot we aren't using and put the contents there. Sometimes we ask them to remove it.

unless you need the space why have it moved period? We never have had them remove whatever is in the mini bar. We rarely use the fridge for much. We have never been charged for anything in the fridge like some have. I have heard before that on rare occasions people have been changed for items they did not use. I guess if we did ask to have the fridge empties my personality is such I would not pay much attention to where they stored the contents, nor would I care.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I always ask to have to emptied, but only once have I found where they stash it. It was on the Escape, and it was in the drawer beside the bed. It was very unexpected when trying to unpack to find the stash lol

u29Cz2SJsMdWbk2G8

We found ours in the ottoman when packing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

unless you need the space why have it moved period? We never have had them remove whatever is in the mini bar. We rarely use the fridge for much. We have never been charged for anything in the fridge like some have. I have heard before that on rare occasions people have been changed for items they did not use. I guess if we did ask to have the fridge empties my personality is such I would not pay much attention to where they stored the contents, nor would I care.

I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about being charged for mini-bar items on NCL. We were warned about it on our Celebrity cruise by someone who had it happen, and there are threads in that forum with quite a few people saying they had to dispute mini-bar charges. I don't think there's any advantage to the room steward to count the inventory incorrectly so I'm thinking it must be something lacking in their process.

You kind of answered your own question. You don't need to empty your frig because you seldom use it. Others do use it a lot. I always like to have beer in there.