Passport question

luv2go4

If you can afford them, passports are always a good idea.

FYI- there are some other cruiselines (HAL for one) that will require you to have passports when traveling with minors to enable that your party is kept together in case emergency travel home is needed.

I cruise at all times with my pass Port, because while I don't plan to have to fly home due to an interruption in my cruise, Flying home from a Port outside the US will require you to have one for entry back into the United States. It is far better to have the necessary paperwork & documents for travels then to be asked for them and they are at home.

I got passports for the entire family when my kid were under 15 and I’m glad I did. We never needed them for the cruise but after 911 I wanted to be able to flee the country if I had to without having to apply for a passport. As it turned out the airlines cracked down I’m glad I got them when I did. It was so much easier for us to renew especially when everyone was panicking to get one just to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got passports for the entire family when my kid were under 15 and I’m glad I did. We never needed them for the cruise but after 911 I wanted to be able to flee the country if I had to without having to apply for a passport. As it turned out the airlines cracked down I’m glad I got them when I did. It was so much easier for us to renew especially when everyone was panicking to get one just to fly.

Flee the country?

after 911 ...As it turned out the airlines cracked down I’m glad I got them when I did. It was so much easier for us to renew especially when everyone was panicking to get one just to fly.

With the exception of some island countries, passports were already needed to fly internationally prior to 9/11, and were not needed for domestic travel. 9/11 didn't change that.

If you can afford the passports get them. You will need them if you want to go to Canada. We just did an Alaska cruise with an excursion that went into Canada and we had to show our passports on the train. They do make travel so much easier. Just remember that both parents need to be present when you apply for the kids passports.

We didn’t have passports and On our 6th cruise and 1st with our son the customs officer gave us a lecture on why we need passports. His whole point was about our son and the what ifs. Our son didn’t deserve to be put through the hardships of trying to get back home because none of us had passports. He really drove the point home, wasn’t mean about it but he was stern. We made sure to receive passports for the next cruise.

With the exception of some island countries, passports were already needed to fly internationally prior to 9/11, and were not needed for domestic travel. 9/11 didn't change that.

New passports and passport ID cards are Real id compliant so if your drivers license doesn't renew before real id is required the passport card makes flying in the US simpler.

The really important thing to consider regarding getting pass ports, is, in the event you have to interrupt your cruise and need to fly home a Pass Port will be needed to re enter the US. We all hope we never encounter an emergency with a family member, but far better to be prepared in the event it happens. My husband had a heart attack nearing the end of our Copenhagen TA and we diverted to ST Johns Newfoundland. I had to give our PP to the custom Agent at the dock where the ambulance was waiting for my husband. I did get them back when we left, One went with my husband when he was medically transported back to Calif & I took mine when I flew home commercially.

What'll happen if you purchase the passport:

- The passport'll cost more than $100/person, it's some trouble to obtain, and it will expire. Children's passports are more trouble.

- In the unlikely situation that you need to fly home, your ability to board will be unimpaired ... however, you'll have to wait until the ship reaches an island ... and on small islands, a flight may or may not be available the day your ship reaches that island, so you might end up staying in a hotel a night or even two ... and you'll pay last-minute high-prices for the ticket. Regardless of whether you have a passport, flying home won't be easy or cheap. You won't fly home mid-cruise unless your reason is extremely compelling.

If you fly with a birth certificate and state ID:

- Since most of us need the state ID for everyday life, it will cost you nothing.

- The birth certificate will not expire.

- In the unlikely situation that you have to fly home from a foreign port (remember, not all Caribbean islands are foreign ports), it will be a hassle and you will pay more than you would've paid for the passports. This is definitely a more difficult situation, and it still includes all the difficulties mentioned above: wait 'til you arrive at an island, hope a flight is available, be able/willing to pay a last-minute ticket.

The most likely outcome of either choice:

- You will board the cruise, stay the whole week on the ship, and disembark exactly where you intended.

- If you need medical attention, the ship's medical center will be able to take care of it.

This all assumes -- things become tricky for other situations:

- You're American and sailing to/from American ports.

- Any children with whom you're traveling are your biological children with your name.

We got off the Oasis this morning and had to show passports, I think it just made it easier. I don’t know but won’t minors at least need some sort of state picture ID?

No photo needed for age 15 and under.

What'll happen if you purchase the passport:

- The passport'll cost more than $100/person, it's some trouble to obtain, and it will expire. Children's passports are more trouble.

Start to finish for childrens passports, 13 days... took 1 hour to complete the process( because we didn't remember that the library cannot take cash had to have money order which added that half hour) other wise less than 1/2 hour, from date to date 13 days, adult Pass port renewal 11 days start to finish, it is no trouble to obtain... we just did them all

We got off the Oasis this morning and had to show passports, I think it just made it easier. I don’t know but won’t minors at least need some sort of state picture ID?

Why? Did you ever do it with only birth certificates?

Minors have never needed photo ID

It’s the domestic travel that concerned me and I knew that they would be tightening things up.It took 6 hours for me to renew my Drivers license with real ID. Had I known I would have just renewed online to get the regular license since I have a passport. I would have waited until the next time my DL was up for renewal and applied for real ID then. In eight years the made rush would would be over. In other countries passports are common because there are many boarders to cross. Americans are spoiled because in the past it was so easy to cross the two boarders that nobody really needed one. At this stage in the game anyone who even travels slightly should have one. The Clerk at the DMV talked me out of paying the extra $30 for the enhanced license since she saw that I had a passport. If I’m going to be anywhere near Canada or Mexico It would be a planned trip.

If you can afford them, passports are always a good idea.

It's a matter of priority. I think it's safe to say that anyone who can drop thousands of dollars on a vacation can afford a passport that is good for 10 years. Some people just prefer to put that money towards a $1000 drink package.

New passports and passport ID cards are Real id compliant so if your drivers license doesn't renew before real id is required the passport card makes flying in the US simpler.

Passport cards and Real ID cards don't help for international flights, and only a handful of states currently offer a Real ID. note: Real IDs are different from EDLs (enhanced driver's licenses), which many states offer.

- If you need medical attention, the ship's medical center will be able to take care of it.

If that were true, no one would ever be evacuated from a ship, but we know that's not the case. While a ship infirmary can handle many things, it's not a hospital and it doesn't have teams of doctors certified in all areas of medicine.