Tipping

debscruising59

The crew has all ways been so very nice. The steward on our last cruise would see us coming down the hall way to our cabin, he would get there first and open the door for us. One two of our cruises we had the same steward, when he saw me he greeted me by name and then he said to me, "I will bring the extra bath towel that you need for your hair". I could not believe that he remembered from two months before that I ask for a extra towel for my hair.

Our head waiter would help me every night with the next days menu ( because I have a shellfish allergy). When he brought the next nights menu, we told him that we were going to eat in the specialty restaurant the next night. He ask us what time would we want. I told him. 15 minutes late he comes back to us and told us that he made our restaurant reservation, and spoke to them about my allergy and that they would take care of my needs there. I thought that was so nice of him. I fell that they went out of their way to be helpful.

DW has very unusual food allergies and head waiters usually are extremely helpful and we will always say thank you with a tip

Exactly--we had an amazing server in the Crown Grill. I asked her to write down her real name because we wanted to write her a "consummate host" card' date=' and I knew the name she used was not her real name. Her smile said it all.

Yes, these comment cards result in real "rewards" for crew members--one card may mean an extra couple hours off during a port day. An accumulation of good comments mean raises, promotions, etc. We spoke to one crew member who received a $100 bonus based on a letter from a guest. He was so happy that he was carrying around the pay stub showing the bonus![/quote']

We had a wonderful asst waiter on a recent cruise and in her bahalf sent her a consumate host in her behalf as well as a hearty thank you on the comment card. She worked in lido in the morning and for the first time ever people wanted to sit in her section breakfast time

DW has very unusual food allergies and head waiters usually are extremely helpful and we will always say thank you with a tip

We do too. They go out of their way for me. They are worth the extra tip. They are so helpful. I also fill out the cards for them too.

OK, that settles it - no more cash tipping

we'll just take a pack of index type cards instead of $$$, have the person write down their name instead of giving them a tip, then we'll make notations and turn in the cards to Princess...

pack of cards for a couple of bucks, huh? :confused::(:evilsmile:

OK, that settles it - no more cash tipping

we'll just take a pack of index type cards instead of $$$, have the person write down their name instead of giving them a tip, then we'll make notations and turn in the cards to Princess...

pack of cards for a couple of bucks, huh? :confused::(:evilsmile:

I don't know if your comment about the index cards was serious or tongue in cheek. :DDon't bother taking cards, just pick up a handful of the 'Consummate Host' cards from the front desk and fill those out. You can easily have a slip of paper and pen to write down the waiter's full name to put on the card.

On a cruise earlier in the year I filled out the 'Consummate Host' cards for the waiters in the MDR whose tables I was very often placed at. On my next cruise, one of these waiters saw me and came over to thank me for putting in the card. As someone else said, the recommendation card is much more important than an extra $20.

What they really like and totally appreciate is having their name mentioned for giving excellent service on your post cruise survey email reply because it goes directly to corporate. ;)

I suggest that people should fill in the card while on board and mention the crew member on the post-cruise survey. Sometimes people have commented that they don't get the post-cruise survey to fill in. The recommendation card you can fill out on board is copied and sent to HQ to go on their records, then the original is given to the crew member.

No. You don't have to do anything more than that. You will be charged extra gratuities at times, check your receipts when you are at the bar.

I don't think it's ever helpful to tell people what they should and shouldn't be doing but I will state what we do: We do not prepay our gratuities, but we never have them taken off the bill. Also, on the first day we give our steward and head waiter $20 in full view of their team. Then on the last night, if the service has been over and above, we give them each another $20 in the same fashion.

I assume you are doing traditional dining, but I wasn't aware that the steward had a "team." I don't think I've ever seen my steward other than alone.

I've only been here for a month or so and up until now, this has been the most well mannered and civil board that I've ever been a part of. Even commented to a family member just yesterday about how helpful and adult everyone is.

The along comes this. Oh well. Nothing lasts forever I suppose.

Tipping is one of a short list of topics (including how to dress on "formal night") that are the exception to the rule. Don't let it sour your overall CC experience.

I've had a number of crew members tell me that putting in the "Made A Difference" card (can't remember the actual name at the moment) and mentioning them on the post-cruise survey is vastly more important to them than any tip they might receive. On a cruise last October I did those things for a number of crew members but there wasn't enough room on the survey to mention all of them. I wrote a separate note and attached it to an email to: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I received a nice phone call a week or two later thanking me profusely for the complimentary note and assuring me it would be forwarded to the managers and the crew members on that ship. Praise from passengers is one of the most important things a crew member can receive. Their salary and advancement are greatly affected by such things. If you want to truly reward crew members take the extra steps to do the thing that is really the most important to them.

I think mention in the survey gets them time off in ports where they can get to a free high speed internet and contact home, as well as shop for things they need or gifts for family.

If you have purchased a pre-paid gratuity package do you need to tip otherwise?

We always have tipped over & above, as we're in the hospitality field. You may do so, but it's up to you. Just please don't remove the daily tip, as a lot of the people you "don't" see also work behind the scenes to help make your trip very nice.

I've only been here for a month or so and up until now, this has been the most well mannered and civil board that I've ever been a part of. Even commented to a family member just yesterday about how helpful and adult everyone is.

The along comes this. Oh well. Nothing lasts forever I suppose.

Considering that this is thread #492 on tipping, yes, I would agree that it's pretty subdued.

I've had a number of crew members tell me that putting in the "Made A Difference" card (can't remember the actual name at the moment) and mentioning them on the post-cruise survey is vastly more important to them than any tip they might receive. On a cruise last October I did those things for a number of crew members but there wasn't enough room on the survey to mention all of them. I wrote a separate note and attached it to an email to: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I received a nice phone call a week or two later thanking me profusely for the complimentary note and assuring me it would be forwarded to the managers and the crew members on that ship. Praise from passengers is one of the most important things a crew member can receive. Their salary and advancement are greatly affected by such things. If you want to truly reward crew members take the extra steps to do the thing that is really the most important to them.

^ this a 1000 times

I don't know if your comment about the index cards was serious or tongue in cheek. :DDon't bother taking cards, just pick up a handful of the 'Consummate Host' cards from the front desk and fill those out. You can easily have a slip of paper and pen to write down the waiter's full name to put on the card.

On a cruise earlier in the year I filled out the 'Consummate Host' cards for the waiters in the MDR whose tables I was very often placed at. On my next cruise, one of these waiters saw me and came over to thank me for putting in the card. As someone else said, the recommendation card is much more important than an extra $20.

... he jests ... a lot. They had him in mind when writing/casting the new Budweiser commercials

That would defeat of the whole reason they do the auto tipping. Is there no end to what people think they should tip!

LOL, this is sometimes what I think as well, whether here or elsewhere.

I have a question... on the last day, I had my "make a difference" forms filled out and brought it to the dining room w/me with the purpose of bringing them to guest services afterwards. They were too small to fit in my purse and I didn't want to fold them (actually what might have happened was that I hadn't finished writing them, so they were next to me). When our large group was done w/thank yous, photos, hugs, extra tip, and all, we ended up leaving in a rush, and I left them at the table. I quickly went back to retrieve them, and my head waiter said that while he will turn them in for me, they were "meaningless" and reminded me to fill in the survey instead! :eek:

I was always told by other staff that those are what gives them extra privileges, etc. Not that they would ever say it's better than money, but they seemed to really appreciate us filling out cards! And I spend time with sharing detail of why they went beyond the call, so I'm now confused/conflicted. Do I bother on the next cruise?

We just leave auto tip on as standard, never ever received bad service, we don’t use room service a lot we tip a couple of dollars. We have done afternoon tea on on our balcony a few times and tip around 5 -10 for that. As long as auto tips are in place I genuinely believe that’s enough, if the crew do the extras five minutes filling the comment cards out will benefit them a lot more than a few extra dollars in the long run.

LOL, this is sometimes what I think as well, whether here or elsewhere.

:eek:

I was always told by other staff that those are what gives them extra privileges, etc. Not that they would ever say it's better than money, but they seemed to really appreciate us filling out cards! And I spend time with sharing detail of why they went beyond the call, so I'm now confused/conflicted. Do I bother on the next cruise?

Interesting....we tended to use one bartender for most of our cruise. On the last night, he flat out said that if we'd enjoyed his service, he hoped we'd do a comment card on him. Between that and the response when I asked the Crown Grill server for her real name, it sure didn't seem that they are "meaningless." I did mention them on the survey as well though.

I have a question... on the last day, I had my "make a difference" forms filled out and brought it to the dining room w/me with the purpose of bringing them to guest services afterwards. They were too small to fit in my purse and I didn't want to fold them (actually what might have happened was that I hadn't finished writing them, so they were next to me). When our large group was done w/thank yous, photos, hugs, extra tip, and all, we ended up leaving in a rush, and I left them at the table. I quickly went back to retrieve them, and my head waiter said that while he will turn them in for me, they were "meaningless" and reminded me to fill in the survey instead! :eek:

Staff have always emhasised how important these cards are. I wonder if the head waiter might have made the comment because he doesn't get many filled out for him (in his position) while his waiters do. Just wondering ..... I am sure the cards are very important.

True ….we do both.... the cards are very important, but the tips are welcome too!!:)

Interesting....we tended to use one bartender for most of our cruise. On the last night' date=' he flat out said that if we'd enjoyed his service, he hoped we'd do a comment card on him. Between that and the response when I asked the Crown Grill server for her real name, it sure didn't seem that they are "meaningless." I did mention them on the survey as well though.[/quote']

We have been told the same on many cruises.....staff has said that the cards are read at team meetings and given to the staff that received the compliments. They also said that there are numerous rewards they received too....also, we have been told over and over that mentioning their name in the Princess surveys is very meaningful for future employment....tipping is the lazy man's way out....actually having to think something positive about a person and write it takes a much more effort IMHO!!!:cool:

even better...will pick some up boarding ship and fill them out as we go...:cool:

Crew “live and die” by these comment cards and surveys. You are correct that for hotel employees (waiters, cabin stewards, bartenders, etc.) these mean a lot. Bonuses, time off, free internet cards, and future contracts result from good comment cards. A bad comment card is a huge black mark.

But comment cards and surveys are also important for everyone else. Captain Tuvo was a staff captain three years ago. He has been named as one of the two captains on Sky Princess, a huge leap in his career, likely because passengers love him and have given lots of positive feedback (yes, you can leave a comment card for the captain). So if you enjoyed your cruise director or one of his/her staff, a particular entertainer, the naturalist or guest lecturer, or the plumber who was so nice to you when he came to fix your toilet, mention them by name in your survey or leave a comment card, even if it’s just something like “we really enjoyed _______ and he/she added a lot to our cruise experience.” It makes a huge difference for them when it comes time to renew their contracts.

Staff have always emhasised how important these cards are. I wonder if the head waiter might have made the comment because he doesn't get many filled out for him (in his position) while his waiters do. Just wondering ..... I am sure the cards are very important.

There are some maitre d's who think waiters fill out their own comment cards ... and therefore do view them as worthless.

To those folks in dining, a mention by name on the survey is the best.

But, it can never hurt to fill out a consumate host card.