Library

tere247

I'm not seeing the library on the Sky deck plans. Are they being eliminated from some ships?

I did notice the lack of books in the library on my March into April b2b on the Regal. Even the games that my adult niece and I were able to borrow on a previous cruise were in short supply.

I'm judging this by comparing the minimal inventory on turnaround day to the abundance on our November and Christmas cruises.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or was it simply because it was at the end of the Caribbean season?

Opinion only.

Well stocked libraries are history. It's now all about electronic books and readers. If there is one on the Sky it probably will be in the same location as it is on the Regal or in the Internet Cafe. Games, puzzles will be available someplace, maybe also in the internet cafe. On the Star Princess the internet cafe and library are combined.

Opinion only.

Well stocked libraries are history. It's now all about electronic books and readers. If there is one on the Sky it probably will be in the same location as it is on the Regal or in the Internet Cafe. Games, puzzles will be available someplace, maybe also in the internet cafe. On the Star Princess the internet cafe and library are combined.

I didn't think about that. You're right. More than likely in the internet cafe. I believe it was there on the CB. No indication on the deck plans of it being on deck 7 opposite the Wheelhouse bar/Crown Grill.

Electronic books are ok for indoor reading, but not when you're on your balcony or on deck. Although, my sister-in-law had one that you could. I have a tablet and it's useless outside.

Looks like Princess has gone to soft cover books.I have seen box loads being delivered to the library on a couple of ships. On one ship almost no books available although there was big boxes of them waiting to be opened. Whole cruise, never put the books out for us.People take the books home and leaves no books for us.

On one ship, the only books were the ones people leave(their own books) after reading.We bring our own and

share with friends, then leave on ship.Also bring my kindle.

Looks like Princess has gone to soft cover books.I have seen box loads being delivered to the library on a couple of ships. On one ship almost no books available although there was big boxes of them waiting to be opened. Whole cruise, never put the books out for us.People take the books home and leaves no books for us.

On one ship, the only books were the ones people leave(their own books) after reading.We bring our own and

share with friends, then leave on ship.Also bring my kindle.

I'm more than ok with the book exchange. I also usually pack a book or two to leave behind. I just love libraries.

Next time, I'll just bring books I haven't read. Read them onboard, then leave them.

I’m sorry to say libraries are becoming a thing of the past both on ships and elsewhere

Everyone is going to be forced to the new technology

As you know even newspapers as print delivered are vanishing. That is why I love the Pacific with its huge library but I’m afraid one of these days the space will be repurposed. Even the Internet cafe is vanishing in favor of WiFi on your own device....soon if you don’t have a device you will be out of luck. Progress? Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Libraries are alive and well here in San Diego!! It would be nice for the ships to have some books available too. I don't mind if it is paperback or hard cover.

I understand that many folks bring their electronic reading devices but some of us travel lighter and like real books at hand.

Libraries are alive and well here in San Diego!! It would be nice for the ships to have some books available too. I don't mind if it is paperback or hard cover.

I understand that many folks bring their electronic reading devices but some of us travel lighter and like real books at hand.

I hope you realize that this is not “the wave of the future”. Mike

ive noticed the bigger the ship the library is terrible, starting with the royal. Older and smaller ships library is fair to very good. go figure??

Obviously because they are building for the future. Mike. PS I too prefer paper books but are not the future. Many schools no longer use books but iPads

A world without books...... Fahrenheit 451... it seams newer ships no library or promenade ... I think some of us enjoy some of the older things... which don't need to be plugged in..

We always pack books on a cruise... nothing better a balcony, the ocean, a good book and a glass of wine ( and of coarse the other half )

Cheers Don

While I prefer to read 'real' books, I do use my e reader some too, and especially on a cruise. I still visit the libraries, but they have definitely been going down hill. Small venues, often in with the internet cafe, few books, especially books anyone might like to read, such a shame.

I take all of my books on electronic media. I load them on both my phone and my tablet. However, I love actual books and libraries - I just don't use them on ships. Should I ever strike it rich (maybe if I bought lottery tickets it would help?) I'd setup a trust for the local library branch. Seriously, this is something my wife and I think would be great to do. Library hours are constantly being cut as the funding is pulled for other things. I tend to buy stuff on amazon but go to smile.amazon.com instead of the "regular" amazon.com. It's the same site but by using smile.amazon.com it lets you enter the name of an organization you want to support and a small portion of your payment goes to that organization. I chose Butte County Friends of the Library so every time I buy something they get a little bit of money. It's not a lot but the more people who do it the more money they get.

On the Grand, there were a lot of books but many duplicates... It made me feel like someone who didn't know too much about books (like an avid reader) was stocking them because there wasn't a lot of variety. Usually there is mystery, romance, science fiction, non-fiction, crafts, etc. There were a bunch of tables maybe 12+, and people played puzzles. I did some watercoloring and did art in my Bible.

Library hours are constantly being cut as the funding is pulled for other things.

:( I remember when I was a kid, and the library was open for 8+ hours every day and maybe closed on Sundays. A while ago, I noticed that on some days our library was open for 4 hours:o

It sounds like I am spoiled here in San Diego. We have a gorgeous new main library and all the branches are open 6 days per week. They have become like rec centers with all sorts of clubs and activities going on in addition to stocking actual books. I understand all about the "future" but I am in the "now" and enjoying it immensely! A few books on hand in each ship wouldn't cost much at all and wouldn't take up much space either.

The problem is we are all in the now but the newer plus newest ships are built for the future....thus small or no libraries. I don’t like it either but our now will be gone in five to ten years and that is what the near term future holds. Buildings just built or being built are with the near term future in mind....if San Diego just opened a new “old fashioned” library that is very unusual and will likely not be around for long....sorry. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will say here where we live we have some wonderful libraries. Our nearest small 'city' just built a huge addition to their library that is state of the art and is well used. City of 25,000.

Our small town (1000 people) has a spectacular library, most of it donated by a former resident who made a fortune in California. Anyone who sees it is astounded at the size and quality of the facility. And it is open 8 to 10 hours most days.

Libraries here are definitely not on the decline, and not just to check out books anymore either. As a book liver this makes me very happy.

I will say here where we live we have some wonderful libraries. Our nearest small 'city' just built a huge addition to their library that is state of the art and is well used. City of 25,000.

Our small town (1000 people) has a spectacular library, most of it donated by a former resident who made a fortune in California. Anyone who sees it is astounded at the size and quality of the facility. And it is open 8 to 10 hours most days.

Libraries here are definitely not on the decline, and not just to check out books anymore either. As a book liver this makes me very happy.

I live in Lincoln and still go to the Library quite a bit. I do try to use my Kindle but when a new book comes out, I often get the book from the Library if I can't get it from One Drive.

Libraries are "transforming" into emerging technologies. Some have 3D printers now and newer options. Though they are still visited by many who still want books. Last weekend during the awful rain, I stopped by the library to pick up a few books.

I forget - are you near Morse Bluff?

I used to buy hard covers when they first came out but when I moved, I said "no more buying books".

I live in Lincoln and still go to the Library quite a bit. I do try to use my Kindle but when a new book comes out, I often get the book from the Library if I can't get it from One Drive.

Libraries are "transforming" into emerging technologies. Some have 3D printers now and newer options. Though they are still visited by many who still want books. Last weekend during the awful rain, I stopped by the library to pick up a few books.

I forget - are you near Morse Bluff?

I used to buy hard covers when they first came out but when I moved, I said "no more buying books".

We are west of Norfolk--near very small Meadow Grove. Yes, our libraries are very into tech options as well as books. All to the good, I think. I am happy to say that several of my teen grandkids caught the reading bug.

As to strange and multiple titles, I really found this once on the Navigator of the Seas. Fantastic large library space, with lots of books. But, many strange ones, such as multiple copies of something like(exact title escapes me) "Mushrooms of the World" It was a book about mushrooms with several copies! Also other weird titles in multiple. I'm guessing some non-book reader bought a whole bunch of cheap remaindered books somewhere. No other explanation.