Not pleased at the booking policies of Holland America

Scubaqn

This will be my one and only Holland America cruise. I will never book with them again. I booked a reservation at a certain date less than 2 weeks ago. My final payment date passes In the meantime they conveniently offer a small onboard credit for booking. The fare is the same I've paid. I call them and ask for the onboard credit to be applied. I am told too bad it's after the final reservation deadline. I tell them fine cancel that reservation and rebook me on the same fare on the same cruise which is still on the web. In fact I offer to upgrade to a new level for more money. I realize that fares come and go and I'm not asking for a reduction in the fare. And I'm willing to pay more in fact but the answer is still no. Several other cruise lines I have been on even as recently as last year would simply add the OBC. Yes I did talk to a supervisor. Believe me I will never book on HAL again.

Sounds like you booked an non-refundable fare. Even if you didn’t it’s after final payment so they are not obligated to do anything. It’s the chance you take-book early get cabin you want. Book after final payment and possibly fare is lower or with on board credit.

We have done it both ways and yes, I’ve seen the price drop but again, it’s the chance you take.

I’m sorry you aren’t happy with the outcome but if you booked you must have wanted the itinerary? Give it a go and enjoy the cruise-hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck on the nickel and diming of the cruise line by the passenger.

Passengers on several different cruise lines on Cruise Critic have reported in threads recently that they were unsuccessful with trying to get OBC or upgrades after final payment.

It looks like the cruise lines are evening the playing field of fare games played by passengers. Passengers will have to pay the fare which they consider to be a good price at the time of their bookings and not try to come back for price drops, OBC, or upgrades.

Of course, may be a new fare category should be added where the passenger can get the price drops but will also agree to pay any fare increases after booking.

To those who have posted, thank you for your replies,

1. As stated in the original post, the fare is EXACTLY the same. The difference is OBC. There is literally no cash involved here at all.

2. The difference in time is literally 24 HOURS.

3. Yes it is a nonrefundable fare. I wasn't asking for a refund. In fact I was wiling to upgrade and PAY MORE.

4. Nickel and diming on the fare? really? Is it nickel and diming US when we pay exorbitant prices for bottom shelf beer, liquors or as another posted stated in a separate thread the wine prices? Or better yet you have to just about become an alcoholic and purchase the beverage package for 15 drinks a day if you want any kind of break on prices. We can't go else where for these things, so they can charge whatever they choose.

I guess the cruise line’s perspective is that the OBC is like the fare itself; not giving it equates to money they’ll get on board. It’s tough to not get the best deal - I’m in those shoes now, and I’m the sort that always wants to get the best deal that was available for anything. Yet, of course, most passengers did not get the best deal for their cabin type, on their particular cruise - relatively few did. Anyhow, I hope you find a stoic way to look at it, or not think much about it.

To those who have posted, thank you for your replies,

1. As stated in the original post, the fare is EXACTLY the same. The difference is OBC. There is literally no cash involved here at all.

3. Yes it is a nonrefundable fare. I wasn't asking for a refund. In fact I was wiling to upgrade and PAY MORE.

4. Nickel and diming on the fare? really? Is it nickel and diming US when we pay exorbitant prices for bottom shelf beer, liquors or as another posted stated in a separate thread the wine prices? Or better yet you have to just about become an alcoholic and purchase the beverage package for 15 drinks a day if you want any kind of break on prices. We can't go else where for these things, so they can charge whatever they choose.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding this, but, you booked a cruise. Then (a day later) there was a promotion offered (after the paid in full date). You then contacted the cruise line to change the contract you agreed to when you booked to some other agreement.

The original contract specified the paid in full date, as well as the penalties involved with any cancellations.

Do I have that right?

There is money involved - for the cruise line. If you were allowed to change your booking, you won't pay any more, but the cruise line is out the OBC.

I understand the frustration, it always sucks to find out you could have gotten something cheaper. But I never understand why people people think the rules don’t apply to them. You are entering a contract knowing full well what the terms are and agree to them. What would be the point of offering a non refundable fare and then allowing changes to it later on? Final sale means just that: final sale. The price could go up, or it could go down. That’s the gamble you take. I’d treat a non refundable cruise fare like I would a non refundable airfare, or hotel reservation. Monitor the prices, purchase it at a price point that I am comfortable with and then for my own sanity stop looking at prices after I buy it and enjoy my trip.

If a cruiseline offers rock bottom prices and knows that even once a cruise is booked, their passengers will come back repeatedly for price drops in the form of onboard credit and free upgrades (a practice allowed by that line), the cruise line will know that the per diem rate that it will have available to spend for onboard experience (food, beverage, entertainment) will be set much lower than a cruiseline that charges higher fares without the fare games after booking.

For those cruise lines that start out low and will go lower, the passenger will bear the cost of the beverages, better food and entertainment with higher prices for those items on board ship.

So the choice is to play the nickel and dime game with the cruise line (your low fare vs what the cruise line will charge for the extras on board ship) vs a cruise line with higher fares (and tight restrictions about fare changes once a deposit is made) but includes a better quality of food, free on board entertainment, and lower drink prices (or included beverages).

You get what you pay for. You will find that HAL charges less per alcoholic beverage than the cruise line with the 15 drink beverage package.

For this issue, specific to the period after final payment, isn’t the distinction between non refundable fares and other fares an artificial one? Also, consider the fare differences between the non refundable and a typical post-final payment fare. Maybe a couple hundred dollars? Maybe a good bit less than what they offer to someone who had the fare types that it (reportedly) IS willing to grant some compensation to, post-final payment.

Oh well, its HAL’s right, to chose who to make exceptions for. And I guess they naturally want to keep their higher-paying customers happy.

For this issue, specific to the period after final payment, isn’t the distinction between non refundable fares and other fares an artificial one?
Only in the last 2 or 3 weeks are normal fares fully non-refundable. For other periods they are partially refundable, even without cancellation insurance. Cancellation penalties are:

All Holiday; Australia; New Zealand; South Pacific; Asia; Prinsendam Europe; South America and Antarctica sailings

90–64 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

63–43 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

42–22 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare.

21 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Caribbean; Panama Canal; Mexico; Canada & New England; Pacific Coastal; Pacific Northwest; Alaska and Alaska Land+Sea Journeys; Europe (except Prinsendam Europe, 30+ day Transatlantic and segments of 30+ day Transatlantic) and 27-day or less Hawaii sailings

75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

56–29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

28–16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Seems a rather harsh stance taken by both sides in this. Since the only thing at stake was OBC being offered to anyone after the OP's attempt to get OBC it seems HAL's position was sorta like cutting your nose off to spite your face. On the other hand, the OP's position appears to rule out HAL for a practice they are likely to encounter in the future with any other line now that the global economy has strengthened. To my view seems to have been an unfortunate encounter for both parties.

Only in the last 2 or 3 weeks are normal fares fully non-refundable. For other periods they are partially refundable, even without cancellation insurance. Cancellation penalties are:

All Holiday; Australia; New Zealand; South Pacific; Asia; Prinsendam Europe; South America and Antarctica sailings

90–64 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

63–43 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

42–22 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare.

21 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Caribbean; Panama Canal; Mexico; Canada & New England; Pacific Coastal; Pacific Northwest; Alaska and Alaska Land+Sea Journeys; Europe (except Prinsendam Europe, 30+ day Transatlantic and segments of 30+ day Transatlantic) and 27-day or less Hawaii sailings

75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

56–29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

28–16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

I see. Well, considering those gradations, one would hope that the occasional relief that is offered is similarly reduced and at a certain point totally unavailable, as it apparently is for those who buy the non refundable. Thanks.

I sympathize with the OP to a certain extent. However, in reality, we deal with price changes every day with almost everything we purchase.

If you purchase something at a set price, especially if its a "luxury/entertainment" item such as a cruise, that means that the price was acceptable to you at the time you bought it. If a price decrease occurs after you buy it and you are eligible, depending on the contract you agreed to when purchased originally, and you are eligible to take advantage of that, great. If not, that's just how economics work.

I bought ice cream a couple of days ago (a luxury item if you will), but noticed that the price today is $1 less than when I bought it. You'll not see me fussing at the store manager because I want a $1 refund due to the price change. Nor will you see me threatening not to ever use that store again.

I'm sorry, but IMHO, the OP is being childish in their actions and "threats."

The cruise line has a booking/cancellation policy. Sometimes they waive it. But you know the policy when you book. Now, you expect the policy not to be followed ever? If this bothers you to the extent you have posted, then you are right to look for a cruise line that never follows their terms and conditions. But try to put it out of your mind for the cruise you have booked. Enjoy!

I hear this sort of thing a lot, not just in cruising but in everyday life. Yes, it's "just" past the deadline. But they have to draw the deadline somewhere, and no matter where it is, there will be someone saying, "But's it's 'just' past the deadline..." It would never end if they just waived their deadlines all the time.

To the OP, I hope you can put this behind you and not board the ship angry and bitter. Unfortunately, as has already been pointed out, this seems to be the new way of doing business for several cruise lines. In the past few months I've booked 3 cruises on 3 different cruise lines, and if it weren't for a good TA and Cruise Critic, I could have easily booked a non-refundable fare or something similar on all of them and not realized it.

Roz

If HAL changed the terms and conditions for you they would have to do it for everyone.

This will be my one and only Holland America cruise. I will never book with them again. I booked a reservation at a certain date less than 2 weeks ago. My final payment date passes In the meantime they conveniently offer a small onboard credit for booking. The fare is the same I've paid. I call them and ask for the onboard credit to be applied. I am told too bad it's after the final reservation deadline. I tell them fine cancel that reservation and rebook me on the same fare on the same cruise which is still on the web. In fact I offer to upgrade to a new level for more money. I realize that fares come and go and I'm not asking for a reduction in the fare. And I'm willing to pay more in fact but the answer is still no. Several other cruise lines I have been on even as recently as last year would simply add the OBC. Yes I did talk to a supervisor. Believe me I will never book on HAL again.