Guaranteed vs Picking Your Cabin

SeaworthyJade

What is the benefit (if any) to choosing a guaranteed cabin as opposed to choosing one yourself at time of booking? And once you choose guaranteed, is it possible to switch if you figure out a cabin you want?

Background: I'm on Regal Princess beginning of December. Didn't know anything about her when I booked the cruise, so when TA asked me about choosing a cabin (I'm in the Deluxe Balcony/Obstructed category) I had no idea which to choose, and didn't want to make a poor/limited info choice. So I went with guaranteed. Since then I've been doing some research, and I think I could possibly make a sound decision...but I don't know if I should or can.

TIA for any wisdom on the topic!

What is the benefit (if any) to choosing a guaranteed cabin as opposed to choosing one yourself at time of booking? And once you choose guaranteed, is it possible to switch if you figure out a cabin you want?

Background: I'm on Regal Princess beginning of December. Didn't know anything about her when I booked the cruise, so when TA asked me about choosing a cabin (I'm in the Deluxe Balcony/Obstructed category) I had no idea which to choose, and didn't want to make a poor/limited info choice. So I went with guaranteed. Since then I've been doing some research, and I think I could possibly make a sound decision...but I don't know if I should or can.

With a GTY you are at the mercy of Princess.

You cant complain when you get assigned something you don't like.

The way I look at it is if you are concerned at all about cabin/location then pick your own so you know from the start. ;)

With obstructed balconies on the Regal/Royal/Majestic if you don't do your research as far as actual obstructions you could have a completely blocked view.

If you research the site with photos of the views and pick a cabin you might find one with minimal obstructions.

Look here.....

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/regal-royal-princess

You’re booking the lowest fare and letting Princess choose your cabin location. What could go wrong? [emoji4]

Some people receive an upgrade to a better category and sometimes to a better cabin type but the only thing guaranteed is that you’ll get the cabin category you booked.

I recently booked a cabin at a BW fare and picked my cabin, a BB category, in the location I wanted plus getting an additional $200 in OBC and pre-paid gratuities by booking under the “3 for Free” promotion. So I’m getting a BB at the BW rate.

Last year, I booked an inside for two B2B cruises. Re-booked under the “Sip ‘n Sail” promotion and for $100 extra (as a solo), upgraded to a balcony and I’m getting $600 in OBC in lieu of the beverage package.

I’m paying at least 10% less than booking directly with Princess on all my cruises.

My point is that you could book a GTY but you can do a lot better booking using a good TA and taking advantage of promotions.

Guarantee - you pay the lowest rate for the type of cabin you want. you take what they assign you. i always book a guarantee and have always got a category upgrade. or, pay for exactly what you want

I have never seen a discount for booking a guarantee (or "let Princess decide") rather than an available cabin in the same category, not on Princess. And there's absolutely no way of telling whether booking a guarantee makes it more or less likely you'll get an upgrade. (The best free upgrades I've ever gotten haven't been on guarantees, whereas the guarantees have resulted in minor upgrades at best.)

The only real benefit I can see from booking a guarantee is if the only available cabins in the category you want are awful and you want to gamble on something better, or if no cabins in that category are bookable but it's on guarantee, in which case you're on the ship for no more than you're willing to pay.

I book a bunch of obstructed ocean views and always choose the best view available. Why would I want princess to put me smack dab against a tender unless that's all that's left?

Deluxe Obstructed Balconies on this class can be amazing (see M and L 101-106). In the interest of making money, Princess offers upsells to guarantees in addition to pre-booked cabin folks now. I might be incorrect, but I thought that a GTY guaranteed AT LEAST the category you booked. It seems Princess doesn't want to do that anymore.

Most often, by the time you get you cabin assignment with a guarantee, you're stuck. For our cruise this month on the Royal, though, we got lucky to have our cabin assigned before the final payment date--when there were still cabins available to switch. We booked a Cat. IE and received a Cat. IB. It was a cabin with upper berths jutting out of the walls. We've had those before and did not like them. But there were several other Cat. IB cabins available, and I had my TA request to be moved to one of them.

Our worst experience with a guarantee was getting an upgrade from an obstructed view to an unobstructed one--but the tiniest cabin imaginable at the bow of the ship.

We did a deluxe obstructed balcony guaranteed on the royal. We had almost no obstruction which made it nice. We ended up being near center of ship and loved the cabin.

Enjoy

:):)

I have never seen a discount for booking a guarantee (or "let Princess decide") rather than an available cabin in the same category, not on Princess. And there's absolutely no way of telling whether booking a guarantee makes it more or less likely you'll get an upgrade. (The best free upgrades I've ever gotten haven't been on guarantees, whereas the guarantees have resulted in minor upgrades at best.)

The only real benefit I can see from booking a guarantee is if the only available cabins in the category you want are awful and you want to gamble on something better, or if no cabins in that category are bookable but it's on guarantee, in which case you're on the ship for no more than you're willing to pay.

I book a bunch of obstructed ocean views and always choose the best view available. Why would I want princess to put me smack dab against a tender unless that's all that's left?

Didn't say discount for a guarantee, I said 'the lowest rate' for the type (Category) of cabin that you want.

I booked an Alaskan cruise about two weeks before the sailing. There were no available mini-suites, but I was able to book a mini-suite guaranty.

Lo and behold, we got a very nice centrally located mini-suite.

I like to book a specific cabin, carefully studying the deck plans for location. But sometimes, you just take what you can get.

Remember, being on a Princess cruise ship is a lot better than not being on a Princess cruise ship.

I have a question:

Sometimes when I click a section (say for example, mid-aft), then I select a deck (for example, deck 11), then there pops out the guarantee option. Does it mean the cabin is guaranteed to be in that section and on that deck, in this example deck 11 mid-aft?

If you can still see available cabins in your cabin class, find one you like and give Princess a call. Ask if you can be assigned now. I did this with a TA on Sky Princess I booked for next year that's selling out quickly. The only availability they had at the time I booked was guarantee, but later cabins were showing up on line. When I called, the rep said she didn't think she could do it, but was able to after all. It's worth a phone call.

MCCRetired, if you choose an E Category they will put you in that category but you don't have a say on where it will be. You could end up with a great location on the ship or poor one. When I know I will be cruising in the next year to 1 1/2 yrs I will decide the ship, itinerary and cabin location so when I call it in, I can tell them which cabin and location I wish.

Once I was able to get my Category, a D-1 but it was more forward then I liked so kept checking and one opened up more mid ship so was able to move.

I have a question:

Sometimes when I click a section (say for example, mid-aft), then I select a deck (for example, deck 11), then there pops out the guarantee option. Does it mean the cabin is guaranteed to be in that section and on that deck, in this example deck 11 mid-aft?

NO! It means only that you are guaranteed to get a cabin of that cost point or above, based on cabin type. You could book a gty aft balcony and get a midship mini, a midship balcony, etc. Anything that PRINCESS considers to be a "better" cabin than what you booked as gty, or the same as what you booked. NOTE that what Princess considers a higher category may not be something that you would consider a better cabin.

NO! It means only that you are guaranteed to get a cabin of that cost point or above' date=' based on cabin type. You could book a gty aft balcony and get a midship mini, a midship balcony, etc. Anything that PRINCESS considers to be a "better" cabin than what you booked as gty, or the same as what you booked. NOTE that what Princess considers a higher category may not be something that you would consider a better cabin.[/quote']

Got it! Thanks! I thought that was too good to be true. :)

NO! It means only that you are guaranteed to get a cabin of that cost point or above' date=' based on cabin type. You could book a gty aft balcony and get a midship mini, a midship balcony, etc. Anything that PRINCESS considers to be a "better" cabin than what you booked as gty, or the same as what you booked. NOTE that what Princess considers a higher category may not be something that you would consider a better cabin.[/quote']

Ok so that’s enlightening. My partner really really likes a balcony, of any sort. Even at the cost of what others might consider amenities (location, cabin size, etc.) But Princess could decide that an upgrade from an obstructed balcony could be a mini suite? Does that mean w/o a balcony? Wait, maybe all mini suites come with balconies...I have only been on 7 or 8 cruises and was just grateful to be ON A CRUISE. So maybe I am overthinking this. I will be happy no matter where we are because we will be on or by the sea... I just want my partner to be as blissful as I will surely be. LoL

Guarantee - you pay the lowest rate for the type of cabin you want. you take what they assign you. i always book a guarantee and have always got a category upgrade. or, pay for exactly what you want

On Princess the rate for a GTY is exactly the same rate for the type cabin you want. For example, a BC balcony cabin costs the same for a specific cabin or a GTY at time of booking.

Yes, if you see a cabin you want, just contact your TA and ask to have it assigned. If it is the exact same type&category (example DW) that your GTY was, there is no additional charge. If it is a higher type&category (example went from DW GTY to DV assigned), you will need to pay the difference in pricing.

And if you had your GTY cabin assigned to you by Princess and do not like its location, your TA can switch the cabin to any available cabin in the same type&category (example DW to another DW). This is true even if Princess assigned you a higher type or category cabin in which case you can switch to any available cabin in the type&category they assigned you.

Ok so that’s enlightening. My partner really really likes a balcony, of any sort. Even at the cost of what others might consider amenities (location, cabin size, etc.) But Princess could decide that an upgrade from an obstructed balcony could be a mini suite? Does that mean w/o a balcony? Wait, maybe all mini suites come with balconies...I have only been on 7 or 8 cruises and was just grateful to be ON A CRUISE. So maybe I am overthinking this. I will be happy no matter where we are because we will be on or by the sea... I just want my partner to be as blissful as I will surely be. LoL

I know that both Coral and Island have some all the way forward window mini suites. They are the size of a mini with balcony but the balcony area is actually inside and there is a window. We sailed in one once and it was good. No balcony though. I don't know if other ships have those cabins or not.