Lost bag in Port Of Miami

Extra Kim

Celebrity lost one of our bags in Port Of Miami back in August and they have yet not compensated us.

I'm just wondering if anyone else have had a bag go missing with Celebrity and how long it took them to compensate it. To me, over two months is a joke.

Sorry to hear this. They lost a piece of my baggage in Southampton in August. Passed around from department to department. All they have offered is a letter confirming it was lost so I can claim on my insurance. Given the item was a gift 20 years ago I have no proof, nor of contents, and cannot claim. I’m furious as it had a lot of sentimental value.

I wish you more success than I have had (& sorry not to be able to give you good news)

Sorry your bag was lost..Hope they find it or compensate.

We have been doing self disembark for quite awhile. It is annoying but saves a hassle if luggage is lost.

In NY port years ago, I literally chased a man who was about to put our suitcase into a cab..He gave me a hard time but there was proof it was mine..

Had a misfiled bag ...under wrong group in Miami..took forever to locate..little assistance from cruiseline.

Another time in Miami, 4 people had missing luggage..the cruise line held the bus ro the airport until it was located, we almost missed our flight!

We have been doing self disembark for quite awhile. It is annoying but saves a hassle if luggage is lost.

In NY port years ago, I literally chased a man who was about to put our suitcase into a cab..He gave me a hard time but there was proof it was mine..

Had a misfiled bag ...under wrong group in Miami..took forever to locate..little assistance from cruiseline.

Another time in Miami, 4 people had missing luggage..the cruise line held the bus ro the airport until it was located, we almost missed our flight!

And those are the reasons we now do express walk off and do not rely on ship's transfers. We had a bag go missing in San Juan once. Celebrity's initial reply when I finally found a staff person was "Your are kidding right?". Yes lady, I really do like to make stuff up just to mess with people. Not. We were lucky, another passenger had picked our bag up because it looked like his. He ignored the big yellow flag I put on all of my bags.

Kim, I hope they do more to help you but I would start with the Captains Club. If that does not work or has not worked at this point it would be registered letter to the executive office in Miami.

Our bag got lost on the day we EMBARKED the ship.

Guest relations on Equinox asked if I was sure that I had the bag with me from Sweden... She lied about several things, was rude and told me how little our missing bag would affect us.. :rolleyes:

We had a bag go missing a few years ago, in San Juan IIRC. We did find an unclaimed bag that was quite similar to ours, albeit without the puff DW is fond of attaching. We were not overly concerned, as the unclaimed bag belonged to a Priest, and we figured that we would get our bag back. Within a week our bag was delivered to our home, with a note from the Priest apologizing for the error. Sometimes it all works out. Wishing the OP best of luck recovering her bag.

The same thing happened to me in Bayonne. I caught him before he went thru customs.He also was very uncooperative so I had to yank the suitcase out of his hands. We now carry our luggage off the ship!

Several years ago flying back to Miami from a European Celebrity cruise my husband picked up a bag at customs identical to ours down to the rainbow strap we put around ours. We passed customs and off we went. When we got home and I went to unpack to my horror it was NOT our bag! It was unlocked and somehow there was a paper inside with the owner's name and address in Puerto Rico! We called the operator and were able to get their home phone and left them a message since they were obviously on their flight back to San Juan. We then went back to MIA to return the bag so it could be sent to the rightful owner and to retrieve ours. Well, since our bag was still in customs it took hours and filling out forms and photo IDs before we could get ours. The family from Puerto Rico called us back happy to know we had their bag. They almost lost their flight filling out forms for their "lost" luggage. They got their bag the next day and called us to let us know and thanked us profusely. Since then even if it looks exactly like ours we double check the TWO tags we now put in all our luggage.

Friends recently had a sad lost luggage story but it had a happy ending,

Took their son age 3 on their first family cruise. The mom bought him a very expensive designer personalized carry on and some new outfits packed inside which they stupidly checked with their airline,,,, SPIRIT.

It was lost..so they had to buy him a few new outfits, and never expected to see the carry on again. But the airline found it, and had it waiting for them at the airport for their return flight.

HAPPY ENDING....LESSON LEARNED!

Sometimes you have to check it...but always take carryons with you.

Lost bags are covered by our credit card and our Travel Insurance, if you have coverage through either of these it may be faster to file with them.

Well in this case, since the bag was in the care of Celebrity this has to go through Celebrity. If Celebrity won't compensate us our insurance company will, but not until Celebrity have denied competition or if the compensation is lower then the value of the bag.

Edited by Extra Kim

We lost a bag when sailing with Norwegian in Hawaii. After an extensive search with no luck we filled out the paperwork and headed to the airport thinking we would never see it again. DW was livid! When we pulled up to the curb at the airport I couldn't believe my eyes! There was our bag was sitting on the sidewalk. I can only assume someone took it thinking it was theirs, discovered the mistake at the airport and just left it sitting on the curb.:eek::eek:

We lost a bag when sailing with Norwegian in Hawaii. After an extensive search with no luck we filled out the paperwork and headed to the airport thinking we would never see it again. DW was livid! When we pulled up to the curb at the airport I couldn't believe my eyes! There was our bag was sitting on the sidewalk. I can only assume someone took it thinking it was theirs, discovered the mistake at the airport and just left it sitting on the curb.:eek::eek:

Sadly,when “Celebrity loses a bag” on disembarkation, it’s often the fault of a fellow passenger who picked up the wrong bag. Horrible that someone just left yours at the airport.

Well in this case, since the bag was in the care of Celebrity this has to go through Celebrity. If Celebrity won't compensate us our insurance company will, but not until Celebrity have denied competition or if the compensation is lower then the value of the bag.

Just curious, can it be determined if the bag actually got to the ship or was lost with the porters or port crew?

Last year coming back to LAX with friends, we saw a lady pick up her bag. The lady had the exact luggage so my friend let her go thinking her back would come down the chute in a bit.....A few minutes later the lady came back and said she indeed had picked up the wrong bag and gave it back to my friend.

My solution is to make the bag UGLY. Use fabric paint and stencils to paint a large word or object that lets everyone know it isn't their bag. The ribbons and tassels and belts come off so can't be trusted 100% . I am not out to impress anyone and the ugly bags generally get skipped over by mistaken identity or theft. Nobody wants my ugly bag.

Just curious, can it be determined if the bag actually got to the ship or was lost with the porters or port crew?

The bag was on the shuttle bus (booked with Celebrity), when we got to the port we took out the stroller and the porters told us to leave the bags in the bus. We got 2 out of 3 bags.

Mistaken identify is usually the culprit . Makibg yours look different than everyone else's does help. Have you ever checked with lost and found at the airport? It's worth a shot.

We have the bag with us to our hotel, it got lost in the port.

The bag was on the shuttle bus (booked with Celebrity), when we got to the port we took out the stroller and the porters told us to leave the bags in the bus. We got 2 out of 3 bags.

We have the bag with us to our hotel, it got lost in the port.

I thought it was lost after the cruise which apparently many others did too based on the comments.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

Last year coming back to LAX with friends, we saw a lady pick up her bag. The lady had the exact luggage so my friend let her go thinking her back would come down the chute in a bit.....A few minutes later the lady came back and said she indeed had picked up the wrong bag and gave it back to my friend.

My solution is to make the bag UGLY. Use fabric paint and stencils to paint a large word or object that lets everyone know it isn't their bag. The ribbons and tassels and belts come off so can't be trusted 100% . I am not out to impress anyone and the ugly bags generally get skipped over by mistaken identity or theft. Nobody wants my ugly bag.

This is why I only buy bags in ugly colors that are discontinued. Very few people have bags that are the same color as mine.

It's all fine and dandy for people to do the walk off instead of waiting for their turn, but do these same people ever consider what would happen if everyone decided to put themselves first?? Mass chaos. There is a reason they put the disembarkation process in place, and that reason is to be fair to everyone. That's not to mention that there are a number of people who really, really need an early disembarkation in order to meet their flight. You are clogging up the elevators and getting in the way of people who really need to leave early.

(And for the record, it is not always their fault their flights are so early. More than once I have had the case where I booked a flight at a reasonable time several months out, only to have the airline bump up my flight time by as much as an hour.)

The lack of consideration of the needs of others always boggles my mind.

And to the OP - I am so sorry that you had your luggage lost and hope you get reimbursed soon.

My bag was almost taken by the car rental shuttle bus driver in Fort Lauderdale. I know it was not an accident because when I noticed I didn’t have my very large suitcase the bus was pulling away. I chased it while bagging on the side and he stopped and opened the door and there was my bag dead centre on the floor that he would have had to walk around to get to the drivers seat. I got on the bus grabbed my suitcase and gave him a bunch of choice words and got of the bus. He didn’t say a word.

My bag was taken by a man in PR. I knew it was mine because it had my name emblazoned on it. I used my best drill sergeant voice saying Halt. Everyone stopped (it was pretty funny) I walked up to the man & said, this is my bag. He insisted it was his & I asked when he became Melody. He let go of the bag. Our porter was almost helpless laughing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums