Petition for RCCL to cease and disist smart baording protocol

Drummer72

Im getting a petition together to force RCL from putting us all at risk with smart boarding protocol.

i will not cruise with them again until card are handed to you at check in.  Leaving the cards for anyone to take is DANGEROUS.  

Leaving them in an envelope when you arrive.  Would you leave house keys next to your door... NO, you would not.

if you are interested in supporting your saftey on board RCCL. Please let me know.  So far i have 3 signatures.  From other concered passengers.  What is it going to take to get them to listen. A mugging, a beat down a robbery from someone hiding in your room when you arrive.  

Please, together we can make RCCL “GREAT AGAIN”

thank you....

• Haha 3

Apples and oranges ..your home vs a ships cabin.  Your home is your life, valuables and memories, A cruise ship cabin us unoccupied until you get there, unless, you are referring to "squatters" who may overtake your cabin before you get there.  With the millions of passengers  sailing every year, do you really think your "petition" will get any attention.

I have found unsigned credit cards in big box parking lots, I don't think with a sea pass card you have a lot to worry about, unless someone wants it for a souvenir 

Edited by myfuzzy

They have been doing this for a few years. I am sure that if something happened you would hear about it. If you feel so strongly, then don't cruise on the ships where they have this.  I believe that the smaller ships, Radiance Class etc. don't have smart boarding. I am not criticizing you, but maybe when you are on a ship that uses this, you should ask the Hotel Director why they use this procedure.

How is the sea pass card sitting in an empty room dangerous? You aren’t seriously worried someone would make a copy of it, are you? If someone takes the card or cards, you just get a new one issued. Any card taken would be deactivated and unusable. Personally, I see no issue here. 

• Like 1

Mock me. Its Ok.  Being on vacation, can give one a false sense of security.  Being dilligent is not over reacting.  In three weeks ive been trying to get this to the attention of RCCL top brass, i have collected 3. Thats right 3 signatures.  What does that tell you?

4 minutes ago, Drummer72 said:

Mock me. Its Ok.  Being on vacation, can give one a false sense of security.  Being dilligent is not over reacting.  In three weeks ive been trying to get this to the attention of RCCL top brass, i have collected 3. Thats right 3 signatures.  What does that tell you?

It tells me it is a non-issue.  The ships with the sea pass cards that have the RFID chips embedded in them have been following this procedure for years.  Other ships are now starting to institute this procedure.  If you are concerned, have someone search your cabin before you enter.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It tells me it is a non-issue.  The ships with the sea pass cards that have the RFID chips embedded in them have been following this procedure for years.  Other ships are now starting to institute this procedure.  If you are concerned, have someone search your cabin before you enter.

AND PUT THEM AT RISK!!!  Well, i never....

11 minutes ago, Drummer72 said:

It tells me you don´t have a case at all. This is a big non-issue. Sorry no signature from me.

• Like 1

Are you serious??? First of all what would they steal, a life jacket from your closet or maybe a towel from the bathroom? Since "someone" else has your room key you wouldn't be able to get into the cabin anyway so you would have to go to guest services where they would deactivate the stolen cards and issue you new ones.

• Like 6

FAKE NEWS!  sailed on Anthem 3 times and Quantum once and never had a problem.  Also, had the WOW bands waiting for us in our cabin in addition to the sea pass.  Lost my sea pass many times and had it replaced each time.  Once in the hot tub if you can believe and even stranger while jogging on the Serenade track, a gust of wind blew my sea pass from my jogging shorts and into the  sea.:classic_rolleyes:

Our only issue was being unable to open the hallway door to get to our cabin on Deck 17 on the Allure. A trip to the Suite Lounge took care of that problem.  Since this procedure does seem to speed up check in, I don’t see this as an issue. 

2 hours ago, Drummer72 said:

Im getting a petition together to force RCL from putting us all at risk with smart boarding protocol.

i will not cruise with them again until card are handed to you at check in.  Leaving the cards for anyone to take is DANGEROUS.  

Leaving them in an envelope when you arrive.  Would you leave house keys next to your door... NO, you would not.

if you are interested in supporting your saftey on board RCCL. Please let me know.  So far i have 3 signatures.  From other concered passengers.  What is it going to take to get them to listen. A mugging, a beat down a robbery from someone hiding in your room when you arrive.  

Please, together we can make RCCL “GREAT AGAIN”

thank you....

First we would have to debate if RCCL was EVER great!:classic_rolleyes:

Have used this boarding process more than once and it works very well.  If no sea pass is on your door go to guest services, or even if is and you are concerned get a crew member to go into your cabin with you.  No signature coming from me.  If this was truly an issue I believe you would have many more than 3 signatures by now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luv2sailAgain said:

We were on LOTS last year and will be sailing on HOTS next year. If your Sea Pass card is at the door, what do you use to board the ship?

Each person gets their own set sail pass.  You use that to board and buy drinks until you get your sea pass card at your cabin.

Adventure on this current cruise is following the new process, more ships coming.  I boarded using the SetSail pass in the app on my phone.  

Every time you use it or a SeaPass card your picture pops up on the PoS terminal.  If your doppelganger happens to get their hands on your SeaPass card I suppose your could have an issue.  

Terminals are staffed by 3rd parties, not RCI employees.  Distributing SeaPass cards in the terminal is not efficient.  Having the ship distribute them is.  It's a faster boarding process.  Checking in for Adventure was less than 60 seconds in the terminal and I was on my way up the gangway. 

I'm liking the new process, no signature from me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Have used this boarding process more than once and it works very well.  If no sea pass is on your door go to guest services, or even if is and you are concerned get a crew member to go into your cabin with you.  No signature coming from me.  If this was truly an issue I believe you would have many more than 3 signatures by now. 

This is, indeed, the very simple solution to Drummer's mental anguish.

When you get to your cabin, if there is no envelope on the outside of your door, go to Guest Services.  You would have to do that anyway, since you wouldn't be able to get into the cabin!  😄 😄 😄

And no, no one can use the card to "burglarize" your room and then return it to the door.  It's not a regular envelope.  It is "tear-strip", so there is no way to restore the envelope to its original condition.

This seems efficient to me but couldn't someone take your card and buy drinks, etc.?  I'm sure it's safe or they wouldn't do it (and I am not worried a bit about someone lurking in my room, LOL!)  Just curious about how that works the link to your onboard credit or bill works.

8 minutes ago, Paris334 said:

This seems efficient to me but couldn't someone take your card and buy drinks, etc.?  I'm sure it's safe or they wouldn't do it (and I am not worried a bit about someone lurking in my room, LOL!)  Just curious about how that works the link to your onboard credit or bill works.

Again, if there is no envelope on the outside of your cabin door, go to Guest Services.  Any previous cards would be disabled by them when they make your new card.  And if there are charges, again go to Guest Services and report them.

They should not even occur, because when a SeaPass card is swiped by a bar tender, the photo of the actual card holder comes up.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackshirt said:

If someone takes the card or cards, you just get a new one issued. Any card taken would be deactivated and unusable. Personally, I see no issue here. 

Except you’d have to rely on RCI IT/guest services to make this happen. 

I’ve had family members go through this. Guest services swore up and down the old/taken cards were deactivated when new ones were issued. To no one’s surprise,  they weren’t!  Guests who took the original cards rolled into the room a few hours later. It was an innocent mistake in that case, but it might not always be. 

It’s a silly, unnecessarily risky system.