24-hour dining? What is your experience?

Dreamer333

Although Princess advertises the International Café as being open 24-hours a day, I've rarely found that to be the case. I've been on about 10 Princess sailings, and there were many many times that the International Café was closed in the middle of the night.

Anyone else have this experience, or did I simply have several "unlucky food" nights?

39 minutes ago, Baystate said:

Tried to get coffee at 3:30am on turnaround day, but it was closed.  Now, maybe that was just because it was turnaround day.

The espresso bar is not actually part of the International Cafe. It does close over night. The International Cafe is stated to remain open and usually has some snacks like cheese, grapes, dried fruit and some other items. I have heard, but have never experienced, that it does close at some point for cleaning, and to place the breakfast items out. I also know that on at least one ship the I.C. was closed on turn around day somewhere around 9am/10am until 11am.  

I was really surprised once when I went down to the IC (I think it was on the Ruby) to get fresh donuts @ 5:15 am (I am an early riser) and was told to help myself to the tray with day old pastries as it would not be open for counter service until 6:00 a.m. I was not the only one that was surprised by the officers statement. The other cruiser that was there also was not happy and let the officer know.

This was the only cruise that this happened on and all I could figure out was they may have been short staffed and had to change personnel around. I really do not think that this is common.

6 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

These days, it would take somebody hitting me with a stick to get me out of bed in the middle of the night to eat anything.

I"m with you. The only reason to get up in the middle of the night is to use the restroom. Of course I have been known to stay up until fairly late on cruises but rarely past 1:00 AM or so. At that point I'd rather have a nice bottle of San Pellegrino and go to bed than go looking for something to eat.

It would be handy on occasion.  I was glad to have a portion of the buffet on MSC open until 2am when my sister needed food.  She had an allergic to a roll (buckwheat) even before the appetizers arrived, and had to go back to the cabin and slurp Benadryl.  At midnight she was awake and needing food (diabetic).  EM

I have visited the IC between midnight and 3 am several times over the years, and I do not recall finding it closed.  However, I have probably not visited it after 3 am, so I do not know if they close down for an hour or so for cleaning.

10 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

These days, it would take somebody hitting me with a stick to get me out of bed in the middle of the night to eat anything.

Those are really good words.  Totally agree and thanks for stating them.  Guess there are other, probably younger people, that like to eat later in the night.  Now that I think about it, I was one of them at one time.  In any event  the International Café was fantastic every time I went there.

11 hours ago, Dreamer333 said:

I've rarely found that to be the case. I've been on about 10 Princess sailings, and there were many many times that the International Café was closed in the middle of the night.

You did not explain your definition of "closed". Some selections are stocked and the section remains open, but unmanned. Closed is where everything is removed and entry to area is barricaded in some manner.  I have roamed ships at all hours, never been in position where nothing was available. On ship at about 3AM, crew was using Horizon court since their facilities were closed.

Edited by jlp20
more info

On 11/1/2018 at 11:36 AM, Sea Hag said:

I don’t think even a big stick would do it for me. Maybe a cattle prod. 

Have usually lucked out with being able to eat when I was hungry but honestly have not tried past 2 AM.  I'd say we are not early risers either (7 am at best) and everything is up and running by then.  I have experienced issues with Room service being so busy at night that they do not pick up.  By then the feeling passes and I go to sleep. 🙂 I'd keep snacks in the room if I really wanted something to eat late night, but you don't always know ahead of time that you will be hungry later... 🙂 

dont try room service the last night after 11 :) we started packing and were very OK with the 40 minute stated wait for a snack but that turned into an hour. we did need the time to pack though but the moral of the story is never expect fast room service

i do love the steak pies from IC but never did eating after 1 on a ship 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:01 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we ate so much during the day that it never occurred to go looking for food at 2 am. Or any other time between dinner in MDR and breakfast the next day.

I did stop by the IC in the mornings to get their excellent pastries.

Experience exactly. I gained weight eating 3 squares.

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i didnt gain weight this cruise, even eating snacks from buffet on way to the room then ordering room service late at least 2x

what am i doing wrong

We once did a 17 day cruise and I lost weight. We did a lot of stair climbing and walking. We did a 28 day cruise and I didn't gain any. Again, lots of stairs and walking. We have two cruises very soon and I'm afraid that won't be the case. My wife's knee is giving her fits and she needs heart surgery (scheduled for early January) so is out of breath a lot. We don't stuff ourselves with food but our exercise level will definitely be way down so it will be more difficult to maintain weight levels.