Shorts in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants

Wilda

IIRC  shorts are never allowed in the specialties for dinner..   depending on the exact ship, he  may also be turned away  from the MDR

by shorts I hope you mean  pressed/pleated belted shorts and not any sort of  basketball or  gym  gear.  

9 minutes ago, spookwife said:

IIRC  shorts are never allowed in the specialties for dinner..   depending on the exact ship, he  may also be turned away  from the MDR

by shorts I hope you mean  pressed/pleated belted shorts and not any sort of  basketball or  gym  gear.  

I’ve worn shorts in the specialty restaurants many times.  No one cares except people on CC.  On our last cruise one of the assistant waiters in Chops was wearing shorts.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 4

I've often worn pressed dress shorts along with a collared shirt to the MDR for dinner on the first night and usually one night mid cruise. No one has ever sad a word about it. Usually, I wear dress slacks the rest of the cruise and especially for formal nights. Normally, RCI doesn't enforce suggested dress for dinner. 

Edited by Johnamac123

Betting you will see someone in shorts in a MDR but honestly is it that bad wearing a pair of pants? The maintained attire requirements have been pretty much headed toward ignoring by dining staffl. I understand not wishing to wear a suit but I have recently seen the tank top, backward hat, raggedy shorts wearing losers seated in MDR. Simple common social norms have been pretty much shot to s--t in US now. An example, wakes and funerals, many dress like they are attending a back yard picnic.

Come on, I mean people PAY EXTRA to buy and wear DISTRESSED clothes. I'm old I know, come from a generation that was happy as heck to get an undistressed new pair of anything. I admit it when I see someone wearing or buying distressed clothes says to me LOSER, FOLLOWER, just plain ignorant. Someone wearing shorts in the dining main dining room says pretty much the same thing to me.

Oh my goodness, I sincerely hope I haven't sent anyone to the crying room with my harsh, horrific, remarks.

George in NY

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve worn shorts in the specialty restaurants many times.  No one cares except people on CC.  On our last cruise one of the assistant waiters in Chops was wearing shorts.

I rest my case! 

15 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

Betting you will see someone in shorts in a MDR but honestly is it that bad wearing a pair of pants? The maintained attire requirements have been pretty much headed toward ignoring by dining staffl. I understand not wishing to wear a suit but I have recently seen the tank top, backward hat, raggedy shorts wearing losers seated in MDR. Simple common social norms have been pretty much shot to s--t in US now. An example, wakes and funerals, many dress like they are attending a back yard picnic.

Come on, I mean people PAY EXTRA to buy and wear DISTRESSED clothes. I'm old I know, come from a generation that was happy as heck to get an undistressed new pair of anything. I admit it when I see someone wearing or buying distressed clothes says to me LOSER, FOLLOWER, just plain ignorant. Someone wearing shorts in the dining main dining room says pretty much the same thing to me.

Oh my goodness, I sincerely hope I haven't sent anyone to the crying room with my harsh, horrific, remarks.

George in NY

Personally I'd much rather be seated with a bunch of people dressed casually, and yes there is a huge difference in them looking casual but sharp vs them looking like they walked in off the beach or from the gym than s bunch of old stuffy folks who are so pretentious that they are judging others based on what they are wearing.  Things change, move on, adapt or sail Cunard. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

My husband wears shorts to the main dining room every night (except formal) and he was certainly not the only one. 

We mainly sail Royal but the cruiseline we saw this the most was on Disney..

My husband also wore shorts every night except formal on Allure.

He also wore them in the Diamond Lounge (gasp!).  No one said a word and he was not the only one.  

1 hour ago, Georgeny said:

George in NY

Just in case you missed the first words of my post..."No judging please..."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

People on the ship will not care at all.

Of course there will be people on the ship that will care. Who do you think posts on CC anyway, non cruisers? The question is will the dining room or specialty restaurant personnel care. Some ships do enforce the dress code, apparently happening less and less but still possible.

Last two cruises, I have worn and seen others wearing shorts in the MDR. 

When I wear shorts, they are cuffed above-the-knee, flat fronted and good quality. I also wear nice, well-fitted ripped jeans, usually with a button up shirt or the like. I've never had an issue.

I totally understand the problem with athletic shorts, swim wear, tank tops, etc, but that is much different than a nice pair of shorts. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Maybe I’m wrong but I thought all of the RCL ships were air conditioned!    I certainly would understand shorts in outdoor or warm eating areas.     We have found it fairly simple to pack a pair or two of slacks.   They are certainly cooler and not as heavy as denin.    We wear denin and our heaviest shoes when we fly to avoid the extra weight in our luggage.   We are on the Silhouette and it is cold in all of the indoor restaurants, the outdoor restaurants are unbearably cold.   

I remember the Brits used to wear Bermuda shorts in the tropics, even the ships officers.   They wore these cute white knee socks with white shoes to top off the

look.

RCLmust be saving money by keeping the restaurants warm in the tropics.

3 hours ago, mafig said:

My husband also wore shorts every night except formal on Allure.

He also wore them in the Diamond Lounge (gasp!).  No one said a word and he was not the only one.  

Why would anyone say a word? By that I mean I may consider it inappropriate but I would consider it just as inappropriate to make an issue of it. The impact to me is insignificant. I would simply look at my companions and do a " take a look at that guy ." I would say the same if someone entered drenched diamonds wearing a tiara and overly dressed. The range of a norm is expansive but can be exceeded in any direction. I could put my shorts on, underwear maybe, maybe not, tshirt, deodorant maybe, maybe not, and join your husband. It's just it would disrespect my wife and others expecting a reasonable attire in such an area.

Norms apply differently in different situations. It is not abnormal to see jeans in dining room first and last night, travel days. 

Everyone draws the line at a different spot. Everyone has a different value system, so no I would not expect anyone to comment directly to you. Nor you you expect me not to make a private comment. There are limits on how far lines should be stretched! Is it okay for me to smoke at your dinner table in MDR? I would doubt it for most. Is it okay for me to curse loudly in front or you using bad language in line for dinner cursing the wait?

Now if he starts clipping his toenails during that time frame I will surely say something.

George in NY

3 hours ago, Wilda said:

Just in case you missed the first words of my post..."No judging please..."

Judging is as much a part of human nature as eating and breathing. Anyone who says they don't, well I guess the halo and bright light would give confirm it.

George in NY

• Like 1

My husband wore shorts in the MDR one night on our last cruise. It wasn't planned. We stopped by the MDR to change a MTD reservation and the person working said we could be seated right then. So, losers that we are we said all right and went in and ate dinner.